HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Carolina Hurricanes 2013 draft preview

Old
06-19-2013, 12:15 PM
HF Article
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
Carolina Hurricanes 2013 draft preview

An injury laden 2012-13 season derailed the Carolina Hurricanes hopes of qualifying for the playoffs, a feat they have not accomplished in the past four seasons. General Manager Jim Rutherford's trade for Jordan Staal last year and his long term signing of Russian sniper Alexander Semin signaled that the Hurricanes are in win-now mode and they believe a championship is within grasp.

With the fifth overall draft pick the Hurricanes have an excellent chance to pick up a future franchise player. As the final scouting rankings will reflect, the first round of the 2013 draft is loaded to top end talent and Carolina could potentially be selecting a star player who will be wearing red and black for the next decade.… read more

More...

HF Article is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 12:27 PM
Joe McGrath

"Carolina is not traditionally an organization that rushes its prospects into the NHL. Rutherford has done a good job of balancing talent in Charlotte and Raleigh, and the coaching staff typically puts players in a position to succeed."

Have at it boys and girls.

Joe McGrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 12:29 PM
Boom Boom Anton

Dumb question. When you write something like:

Quote:
Skinner, who has had unfortunate luck with injuries during his young career, has been mentioned as potential trade bait. Ruutu has been the subject of both trade speculation and a potential amnesty buy out, as his production has slipped and he has a salary cap hit of 4.75 million dollars.
Are you referencing the speculation and trade rumors by fans here on HF Boards when you say they've been "mentioned" or that there is "speculation"?

Boom Boom Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 12:31 PM
Boom Boom Anton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe McGrath View Post
"Carolina is not traditionally an organization that rushes its prospects into the NHL. Rutherford has done a good job of balancing talent in Charlotte and Raleigh, and the coaching staff typically puts players in a position to succeed."

Have at it boys and girls.
Don't start that again!

I actually thought this comment under organizational strengths would be more confrontational on this board.

"An aspect that often goes unappreciated in Carolina is the stability at the highest levels of ownership and management. Owner Peter Karmanos and GM Rutherford have held their respective positions in the organization since 1994"

Old
06-26-2013, 10:31 AM
Obi Wan LaRosie

Send a message via AIM to Obi Wan LaRosie Send a message via Yahoo to Obi Wan LaRosie
All I know, is if they pass on a more highly skilled player for "safety", I am going to lose it. They cant just keep looking for 3rd line centers drafting from the 5th position. When you draft 5th, you need a first line player or top pair D man. This talk about so and so being a sure fire third line center which is what we need is ridiculous. If we had better players all around, Jordan would be playing where he should play.....3rd line center.

Obi Wan LaRosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 10:43 AM
Boom Boom Anton

Which 3rd line centers do you think they are looking at drafting at #5 that has you so concerned?

Old
06-26-2013, 11:29 AM
rocky7
Run 'n' Gun

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosetache View Post
All I know, is if they pass on a more highly skilled player for "safety", I am going to lose it. They cant just keep looking for 3rd line centers drafting from the 5th position. When you draft 5th, you need a first line player or top pair D man. This talk about so and so being a sure fire third line center which is what we need is ridiculous. If we had better players all around, Jordan would be playing where he should play.....3rd line center.
well said!

rocky7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 12:22 PM
Joe McGrath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Anton View Post
Which 3rd line centers do you think they are looking at drafting at #5 that has you so concerned?
Theoretically, any center they draft this year (except maybe McKinnon) is going to be a 3rd line center for at least the next 5 years on this team. In theory.

Joe McGrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 12:29 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

vCash: 2498
Flat out if we draft a center then somebody's moving to wing. Maybe not this year and maybe not next, but in a few years one of the Staals or whoever we draft will be on the wing. We already have two perfectly good candidates for #3 coming up in the system long term, though not sure if Nash will have the offense to be more then a top #4.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 12:46 PM
Aquin001 on Ice

If any centre we draft shows an ounce of chemistry with Skinner, it'll be worth having him as a 3C IMO. Our scoring depth last year was beyond atrocious, and that could easily become one of our greatest strengths.

Tlusty-Staal-Semin
xxx-Staal-Ruutu
Skinner-Barkov/Monahan/Lindholm-xxx

I have absolute confidence that all three of those centres will be great 2C's or potential 1C's on most NHL teams, and believe we should be more concerned with their actual skillets rather than what line they'll play on. Both Barkov and Lindholm project to be playmaking centres with elite vision and great defensive games, which is exactly the type of linemate Skinner needs. We already know the chemistry is there in the Top 6, so no worries there.

Aquin001 on Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 05:26 PM
Obi Wan LaRosie

Send a message via AIM to Obi Wan LaRosie Send a message via Yahoo to Obi Wan LaRosie
I am also not comfortable with either Staal moving to the wing. The reason for that is, that means Jordan would be on the FIRST LINE!!!!! I know some people love him, but I am not one of them. I was exceedingly disappointed with his game this year, and I went to about 20 games. He is much slower than I expected, less impressive shot than I expected, less of a play maker than I expected. He does use his body well, and did play fairly well defensively, which I did expect. A first line center he is not. The next time this team competes with a chance of winning the cup (if ever in the next 8 years), Jordan will be the 3rd line center.

Old
06-26-2013, 05:33 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

vCash: 2498
I don't think for a second that means Jordan would be on the first line. I think they'd keep Sweat Tea together while rolling something along the lines of Skinner-Monahan/Lindholm-Jordan long term eventually with Jordan being allowed to be more of a banger. ????-Rask-Ruutu 3rd line. Not sure we have a good fit though Dalpe or Bowman could work out there.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 05:40 PM
FlyingSquirrels

Is Boychuk on anyone's radar to make the team this year?

FlyingSquirrels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 05:53 PM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingSquirrels View Post
Is Boychuk on anyone's radar to make the team this year?
Of course. I see no reason why he wouldn't make the Checkers.

What the Faulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 06:01 PM
Jussijuice

Barkov, Lindholm, and Monahan are all project to be better suited for 2nd line C than Jordan. All 3 are superior playmakers and more importantly make those around them better.

Either Jordan moves to 2W or becomes 3C in the long run. In the short term if they draft a center, he will start on the 3rd line for at least a season.

Jussijuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 06:41 PM
bleedgreen

Did you just say three 18 year olds are better playmakers than Jordan staal?

"Hockey's futures" indeed. Give the guy a break, he had a tough year. Have you seen monahan play much?

Staal isn't anywhere near the third line, regardless of who we draft. Our 18 year old will play no matter what, because we are who we are. Doesn't mean that player even belongs in the NHL yet. We need to lay off the draft kool aid around here. I agree our pick will be the third line center, but them getting that spot even over skinner is questionable.

Going into his year every team in the league would think Jordan would be a great second line center. At times this year he was. Skinner dragged him down as much as the other way around, and don't get me started about Dwyer. Why you guys think jstaal is crap after one shortened season is beyond me.

Last edited by bleedgreen: 06-26-2013 at 06:47 PM.
bleedgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 06:55 PM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

Jordan is not moving to the wing or centering the 3rd line anytime soon. The whole point of bringing him here long term in the first place was to provide size and depth down the middle. The Canes aren't giving up on him in that role after one slightly disappointing lockout shortened season. I don't care who we draft, they're not getting 2nd line minutes at center over Jordan Staal. Talk about a recipe for failure.

vwg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 06:55 PM
Jussijuice

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedgreen View Post
Did you just say three 18 year olds are better playmakers than Jordan staal?

"Hockey's futures" indeed. Give the guy a break, he had a tough year. Have you seen monahan play much?

Staal isn't anywhere near the third line, regardless of who we draft. Our 18 year old will play no matter what, because we are who we are. Doesn't mean that player even belongs in the NHL yet. We need to lay off the draft kool aid around here. I agree our pick will be the third line center, but them getting that spot even over skinner is questionable.

Going into his year every team in the league would think Jordan would be a great second line center. At times this year he was. Skinner dragged him down as much as the other way around, and don't get me started about Dwyer. Why you guys think jstaal is crap after one shortened season is beyond me.
project to be

And yes, I watched 5-10 Ottawa's games and all of their Playoff run last year. He has great playmaking skills, one if the reasons he was voted 2nd best playmaker in his OHL conference by the coaches of the league.

Last edited by Jussijuice: 06-26-2013 at 07:01 PM.
Old
06-26-2013, 07:01 PM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussijuice View Post
project to be
When they actually somewhat reach those projections we'll talk about who moves to wing or who centers the 3rd line. As of right now, it's completely premature.

Old
06-26-2013, 07:04 PM
Jussijuice

Quote:
Originally Posted by visor wearing goon View Post
Jordan is not moving to the wing or centering the 3rd line anytime soon. The whole point of bringing him here long term in the first place was to provide size and depth down the middle. The Canes aren't giving up on him in that role after one slightly disappointing lockout shortened season. I don't care who we draft, they're not getting 2nd line minutes at center over Jordan Staal. Talk about a recipe for failure.
Everyone has said it won't be immediate, it's in 1-3 seasons depending on how long the prospect would need to marinate on the 3rd.

If our pick turns out to be an amazing 1st/2nd line playmaking Center (what these guys are projected to be) then someone is moving down or to the side eventually.

Old
06-26-2013, 07:16 PM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

I think it's more likely whoever we draft at 5 moves to wing before Eric or Jordan do. It's usually easier for a player to move to wing when they are young than to do it when they are older. Of course this isn't true for all players, but I won't be surprised to see whoever we pick move to wing first.

Old
06-26-2013, 08:30 PM
Jussijuice

Quote:
I think it's more likely whoever we draft at 5 moves to wing before Eric or Jordan do. It's usually easier for a player to move to wing when they are young than to do it when they are older. Of course this isn't true for all players, but I won't be surprised to see whoever we pick move to wing first.
That possible, but my thinking was Jordan had already proven he can be a great power winger and scores 29 goals on the wing his rookie year. Just my opinion, but you want your best passer and playmaker as your pivot in the middle of the ice. If we want Jordan in the middle for his defensive skills, maybe he is better suited on the primarily shutdown line ("3rd" by traditional naming)

Lindholm-Staal-Skinner just doesn't seem as effective as Staal-Lindholm-Skinner would be, a lot of options to play with though.

Old
06-28-2013, 06:02 PM
Obi Wan LaRosie

Quote:
This is why you draft Nichushkin if he is available. To play the wing.

I also read an interview today of Rutherford, and reading between the lines it sounds like he is considering trading the pick for a top 4 D. If he does that I will be looking for another team.

In his interview he stated that we had "plenty of scoring depth" and we "dont need to be looking for scoring". Holy moly, I just dont know what to say to that statement. He acts like he is Ray Shero.

So, JR, what you are saying is that you would either trade the pick for an overpriced top 4 D and give up an entry level stud forward, or draft a player who is "solid in all zones" and "has good hockey sense". My god if I hear that type of stuff anymore I am going to throw up.

JUST GET THE MOST SKILLED GUY!!!!

(Then trade Skinner for that top 4 D you are looking for)

He will only be able to play til he is 23 anyway bc he dipsy doodles all over the place with his head down. Take whatever you can get for him now.

Old
06-28-2013, 07:11 PM
wolfofthesteppes
HFBoards Sponsor

Do you have a link to the interview? I would like to read it.

Thanks.

06-28-2013, 07:40 PM
Obi Wan LaRosie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfofthesteppes View Post
Do you have a link to the interview? I would like to read it.

Thanks.
It was on the carolina hurricanes twitter account earlier. Interview done by Fox Sports Carolinas. Not sure if this is going to work, but here is the link from twitter: buzztap.com/-h4hB54

Yes, it does work