HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Offseason Thread Part IV: SCF, end. Trades, begin.

Closed Thread

Old
06-26-2013, 08:02 PM
Raspewtin
Early To The Party

vCash: 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post
Does he PK though?
yes, very good at it. Only PKer in VAN better than him was Kesler IMO.

Old
06-26-2013, 08:05 PM
Lundsanity30

vCash: 500
Mason Raymond could be a good addition.

Old
06-26-2013, 08:07 PM
Machinehead
Purple Hayes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
Mason Raymond could be a good addition.
It would definitely be a step towards actually having a 3rd line, and he has alot more in the tank than Jagr.

Jagr can't go a full season anymore. He was hitting a wall in the playoffs his last year with us and this was 6 years ago

"It's Mario Götze!" -Ian Darke
Old
06-26-2013, 08:07 PM
Dactyl
LMFAO KOSTKA

edit

Old
06-26-2013, 08:08 PM
EpicDing
The Fellowship

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
Then we don't do the trade. But you wanted to add Boyle and a 3rd. Not worth it on any level.
I see it this way. At #5, we can get Drouin, a high end forward talent, Barkov, a high end forward talent, Nichuskin,a high end forward talent,Monahan, a high end forward talent, or, if Jones is available, flip it for, guess what, a high end forward talent, or even just draft him. Those are all fairly sure prospects that can likely contribute next season.

Old
06-26-2013, 08:08 PM
darko

No way do I trade Staal for 5th overall and McBain.

Old
06-26-2013, 08:09 PM
UAGoalieGuy

With Shattenkirk getting 4 years 4.25 million AAV, is that a good comparable for McD? Think they are around the same age.

Old
06-26-2013, 08:10 PM
Lundsanity30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
It would definitely be a step towards actually having a 3rd line, and he has alot more in the tank than Jagr.

Jagr can't go a full season anymore. He was hitting a wall in the playoffs his last year with us and this was 6 years ago
Is he good defensively?

Old
Machinehead
Purple Hayes

Quote:
With Shattenkirk getting 4 years 4.25 million AAV, is that a good comparable for McD? Think they are around the same age.
Well McDonagh is much better imo.

Old
Dactyl
LMFAO KOSTKA

Quote:
Originally Posted by darko View Post
No way do I trade Staal for 5th overall and McBain.
i would. nichuskin barkov or druin would fit out needs more than staal currently does. i love staal im just looking at the talent of these guys.

Old
06-26-2013, 08:11 PM
EpicDing
The Fellowship

Quote:
I'd want more term if possible, but the money is good.

Old
06-26-2013, 08:12 PM
JC704

Is anybody as annoyed as I am at the fact that they see so many "Marc Staal proposals" and discussions about trades in this entire forum? Not that Staal doesn't equate to Carolina's 5th pick and more, but let's face the facts here. As good as McDonagh, Girardi, Moore and Del Zotto all are, Staal is still our most complete and best Defenseman. Do you think that it is a coincidence that the Rangers, who played a very similar grinding type of style with good two-way forwards and a great Goaltender bowed out in the playoffs in 5 games to Boston, especially considering they have played Boston fairly well over the last 4-5 years?

It's no coincidence. Staal may not be an elite 60-point Defenseman, but he is an elite, defensive one who is a solid offensive player and fits perfectly in the Rangers Top 4 for their organizational approach. It seems like there are a lot more people (not a majority, of course, far from) who would be very willing to listen to trades and would seemingly, welcome a trade opportunity. Marc loves it in New York and I understand his two brothers play in Carolina, but that does not necessarily mean that he's going to want to follow suit.

I genuinely hope that he gets the raise he deserves once his contract is up and he is as close to a Ranger for life as you can get. I may be biased, but I think, disregarding Staal's eye injury (which doctors say he should recover up to 90%, if not more of his vision back and be ready for next season), Staal and McDonagh on the left side is probably the best two on that side in the entire league. They are a serious part of what we do here and I think moving or entertaining the idea of moving on from Staal would be a serious, serious mistake. IMHO.

Old
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicDing View Post
I see it this way. At #5, we can get Drouin, a high end forward talent, Barkov, a high end forward talent, Nichuskin,a high end forward talent,Monahan, a high end forward talent, or, if Jones is available, flip it for, guess what, a high end forward talent, or even just draft him. Those are all fairly sure prospects that can likely contribute next season.

And if they bust it'll go down as 1 of our worst trades of all time. If I'm trading Staal who is a legit first pairing D-man and one of the best shutdown guys in NHL I want a top line forward in return.

Old
Kershaw

McDonagh has surpassed Staal for me.

Old
06-26-2013, 08:13 PM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dactyl View Post
i would. nichuskin barkov or druin would fit out needs more than staal currently does. i love staal im just looking at the talent of these guys.

Filatov was pretty talented too. Where is he now?

Old
06-26-2013, 08:14 PM
darko

Quote:

McD is better.

Old
JohnC
#FreeSteve

Like everybody says, if Staal gives any sort of suggestion that he's going to Carolina when he's an UFA, you trade him

Old
Raspewtin
Early To The Party

vCash: 643
Quote:
McDonagh is a full lightyear superior to Shattenkirk.

Old
06-26-2013, 08:16 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punxrocknyc19 View Post
There are a solid 8-10 moments in that video that make me want to snap my monitor in half. The fact that it opens with 2 clips of him diving really says it all. That's not toughness.

06-26-2013, 08:17 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
McDonagh has surpassed Staal for me.
In 11'-12' for me.

Old
06-26-2013, 08:17 PM
Championship*
#Joel&Ellie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh3217 View Post
Nystrom and Lapierre can be got for around 1.5mil each
Nystrom makes 1.4 NOW

Is this your first free agency?

Old
06-26-2013, 08:18 PM
Lundsanity30

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC704 View Post
Is anybody as annoyed as I am at the fact that they see so many "Marc Staal proposals" and discussions about trades in this entire forum? Not that Staal doesn't equate to Carolina's 5th pick and more, but let's face the facts here. As good as McDonagh, Girardi, Moore and Del Zotto all are, Staal is still our most complete and best Defenseman. Do you think that it is a coincidence that the Rangers, who played a very similar grinding type of style with good two-way forwards and a great Goaltender bowed out in the playoffs in 5 games to Boston, especially considering they have played Boston fairly well over the last 4-5 years?

It's no coincidence. Staal may not be an elite 60-point Defenseman, but he is an elite, defensive one who is a solid offensive player and fits perfectly in the Rangers Top 4 for their organizational approach. It seems like there are a lot more people (not a majority, of course, far from) who would be very willing to listen to trades and would seemingly, welcome a trade opportunity. Marc loves it in New York and I understand his two brothers play in Carolina, but that does not necessarily mean that he's going to want to follow suit.

I genuinely hope that he gets the raise he deserves once his contract is up and he is as close to a Ranger for life as you can get. I may be biased, but I think, disregarding Staal's eye injury (which doctors say he should recover up to 90%, if not more of his vision back and be ready for next season), Staal and McDonagh on the left side is probably the best two on that side in the entire league. They are a serious part of what we do here and I think moving or entertaining the idea of moving on from Staal would be a serious, serious mistake. IMHO.
I would trade Dz much quicker than Staal and he would bring back something good as well

Old
06-26-2013, 08:19 PM
darko

I don't see how Canes can afford Marc Staal. If Staalsy hits free agency Canes will have lots of money tied up to other players. 8+ mill to Eric Staal, 7 mill for Semin, 6 mill for Jordan Staal, just under 6 mill for Skinner, 4 mill for Gleason, 6.3 mill for Ward and Falk will require a payday too.

Old
06-26-2013, 08:19 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

You guys haven't watched Shattenkirk much if at all if you think McDonagh is that superior to him. I think McD is better but it is certainly not by much.

Old
06-26-2013, 08:20 PM
JC704

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyhauntswizards View Post
McDonagh is a full lightyear superior to Shattenkirk.
Defensively, it's clearly McDonagh. Offensively, I think Shattenkirk is superior at the moment. Most people knew McDonagh had limited offensive upside and that he would essentially be a Ryan Suter-lite kind of player. I think McDonagh's defensive upside still trumps Shattenkirk's more overall game, but it's incredibly close. Close enough that I wouldn't say McDonagh is a full lightyear superior to Shattenkirk. I think $4.25-$4.75 million on a 3/4 year deal (which is about $500k more than what Staal got on his 2nd deal) is a good target. If he ends up for signing less than $4.5, I think that is a HUGE steal. IMHO.

Closed Thread