HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Post-xmas proposal if Colorado is fading in the standings

Old
10-17-2006, 04:07 PM
Kirk Muller*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post
"But this isn't 1997, when Sakic signed a three-year, $21 million offer sheet with the Rangers to provoke the Avalanche into getting moving with negotiations. Sakic pronounced his love for the team and its fans last summer, when he said he wanted to finish his career in Denver."
He didn't sign to get "moving with negotiations". Once you sign an offer sheet, negotiation is over. He signed because he wanted the money, and another team offered.

All I'm pointing out is that he signed for the money in the past, and there is no reason why he wouldn't do it again. So what if he said he wouldn't? Every player says they love the fans and want to play there for the rest of their career. It's meaningless.

Kirk Muller* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2006, 04:10 PM
Kirk Muller*

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
hummm isnt anyone concered about trading young guys like that for a guy that's not exactly young anymore. How many good years does Sakic still have?
Koivu, Kovalev and Huet don't have many good years left either. As a matter of fact, Rivet, Markov and Souray could be on their last year too. I think it's a risk worth taking. Perezhogin and Kostitsyn are not blue-chippers, and they would be worth acquiring an experienced leader like Sakic for a playoff run if the team was looking strong.

Old
10-17-2006, 04:15 PM
shayne

from a hab fan..................NOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
To MTL:
Joe Sakic ($5.75M)*

To COL:
Sheldon Souray ($2.318M)*
Alexander Perezhogin ($0.627M)*
Andrei Kostitsyn (minor leaguer)

*cap hit in brackets

Montreal's lines would then look like this...

Samsonov-Sakic-Kovalev
Higgins-Koivu-Ryder
Plekanec-Bonk-Johnson
Murray-Begin-Downey
Latendresse

Markov-Komisarek
Niinimaa-Rivet
Bouillon-Dandenault
Streit

Huet
Aebischer

This works financially since Montreal has $3.001M in cap space left. Minus Souray and Perezhogin, plus Sakic equals $43.804M.

You may be asking, why would Colorado want Souray, he's a UFA at the end of the season? Well, to make this deal work, the Avalanche would have to take some salary, but since he is a UFA, it's a temporary cap hit that won't affect them beyond this season. Rumour has it he wants to be in the west to be with family so maybe he'll even re-sign with them. And if you consider that Souray probably won't be re-signed by Montreal at the end of this season anyway, all we're giving up for Sakic is a 3rd liner and a minor leaguer (granted they both have very good potential).

Sakic is also a UFA so rather then the Avalanche losing him for nothing... Montreal and Colorado have a history of being trading partners. If the Canadiens have a legitimate chance of making the playoffs, they might just pull the trigger on something like this to give themselves one helluva post-season line-up.

Thoughts?
perez and Kos are two of our best young forwards, i know sakic is a hall of famer and wiould be huge for a cup run but the habs are not ready for a cup run, maybe in 2 years but not now, i would rather a trade for craig conroy at the deadline then lose two former 1st rd picks who are just starting to contribute

shayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2006, 04:24 PM
Habsfan 32

Send a message via ICQ to Habsfan 32 Send a message via MSN to Habsfan 32
Hell no. Maybe 5 or 10 years ago but not at this stage in his career and he's a Avs for life.

Habsfan 32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2006, 04:48 PM
Habs4ever

I just don't see any gain in this acquisition

If getting star player was so important then we would have gotten Shanahan at $6 million, but as it stands most of the teams are equally mathched in talent.

so lets just wait and see, now, any team could start diominating and take home cup, there are no quick fixes any more, and I don't see big gain trading away top prospects long term.

last year, Edmenton had all the tools last and thats why they made trade deadline acquisitions, I don't think we are much better then other division rivals, and I don't want us to make leafs type bone headed deals thatb haunts us for next 10 years!!

Habs4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2006, 06:50 PM
Habber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Muller View Post
He didn't sign to get "moving with negotiations". Once you sign an offer sheet, negotiation is over. He signed because he wanted the money, and another team offered.

All I'm pointing out is that he signed for the money in the past, and there is no reason why he wouldn't do it again. So what if he said he wouldn't? Every player says they love the fans and want to play there for the rest of their career. It's meaningless.
How do you say a guy that has been with the same team for 18 years goes where the money is? That's just ridiculous.

Yeah he signed an offer sheet, but he knew Colorado would match. Was he supposed to decline the offer and play for less?

He's been UFA mutliple times since, and hasn't even checked out the market.

Habber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2006, 08:07 PM
ChuckyToGally
Former Carey Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliash View Post
and why not bring back theo
Why not?

Counter offer:

To Mtl: Sakic and Théodore

To Col: Souray, Bonk, Perezhogin and Huet

Huet vs Théo... CRAP FOR CRAP!

ChuckyToGally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2006, 09:49 PM
Kirk Muller*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habber View Post
How do you say a guy that has been with the same team for 18 years goes where the money is? That's just ridiculous.
Because Colorado is where the money has been, except once, and he showed his true colours that time and went after the money. That's perfectly legitimate. But let's not make him into a saint who is loyal to his team, when the facts indicate the complete opposite (i.e. that he is money grubbing guy who doesn't care two hoots about team loyalty, only about money).

He knew Colorado would match? How do you know he knew? You simply don't. Plenty of players reach RFA status and negotiate with their team. He's one of the rare ones who signed with another team.

Old
10-17-2006, 09:53 PM
Stan

I'm a no on this trade. We could get our hands on a much younger quality centerman for that price. I love Sakic, but he's no spring chicken.

Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2006, 02:04 AM
habs86

vCash: 265
Send a message via MSN to habs86 Send a message via Yahoo to habs86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garo View Post
I can't see Sakic signing with another team, it just wouldn't be right IMO.

habs86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2006, 02:12 AM
JMMR

Send a message via MSN to JMMR Send a message via Yahoo to JMMR
No way Sakic does not finish his career with the Avs and have his 19 lifted to the rafters in the Pepsi Centre

JMMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2006, 02:49 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
To MTL:
Joe Sakic ($5.75M)*

To COL:

*cap hit in brackets

Montreal's lines would then look like this...

Samsonov-Sakic-Kovalev
Higgins-Koivu-Ryder
Plekanec-Bonk-Johnson
Murray-Begin-Downey
Latendresse

Markov-Komisarek
Niinimaa-Rivet
Bouillon-Dandenault
Streit

Huet
Aebischer

This works financially since Montreal has $3.001M in cap space left. Minus Souray and Perezhogin, plus Sakic equals $43.804M.

You may be asking, why would Colorado want Souray, he's a UFA at the end of the season? Well, to make this deal work, the Avalanche would have to take some salary, but since he is a UFA, it's a temporary cap hit that won't affect them beyond this season. Rumour has it he wants to be in the west to be with family so maybe he'll even re-sign with them. And if you consider that Souray probably won't be re-signed by Montreal at the end of this season anyway, all we're giving up for Sakic is a 3rd liner and a minor leaguer (granted they both have very good potential).

Sakic is also a UFA so rather then the Avalanche losing him for nothing... Montreal and Colorado have a history of being trading partners. If the Canadiens have a legitimate chance of making the playoffs, they might just pull the trigger on something like this to give themselves one helluva post-season line-up.

Thoughts?

I think sakic would rather retire than to change teams at this point in his career. He's got a family in Denver. He's been with the same franchise for his career. It would also be a public relations nightmare with the fans IMO. You gotta keep sakic around just for the name if not for anything else especially when the avs streak of sellouts just expired.

Only way I see sakic moved is if he asks for a trade which is not happening. He's won his cups, he's got his gold medal, his world cup, he has nothing left to prove. He just wants to play at a high level as long as he can in Denver.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2006, 08:30 AM
Kirk Muller*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
I think sakic would rather retire than to change teams at this point in his career. He's got a family in Denver. He's been with the same franchise for his career. It would also be a public relations nightmare with the fans IMO. You gotta keep sakic around just for the name if not for anything else especially when the avs streak of sellouts just expired.

Only way I see sakic moved is if he asks for a trade which is not happening. He's won his cups, he's got his gold medal, his world cup, he has nothing left to prove. He just wants to play at a high level as long as he can in Denver.
No, he just wants the money, and he will go wherever it is.

Old
10-18-2006, 09:23 AM
fufonzo

Send a message via ICQ to fufonzo Send a message via MSN to fufonzo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Muller View Post
No, he just wants the money, and he will go wherever it is.
Because he went for the money 10 years ago?

I can guarantee that he would have gotten more money by one of the other 29 teams if he would have tested free agency at any point in his UFA career.
Also, in 1997, he had been in Colorado for two years and was 28 years old. Priorities change and the situation can change after 10 years.
There is now way he signs elsewhere.

fufonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2006, 09:54 AM
Since86

Wow, it's amazing how quickly a topic gets derailed. Who cares if Sakic would sign elsewhere? The point is that Sakic is natural leader and proven playoff performer, he's won two Stanley Cups, and would greatly help the Habs in their bid for #25. He is very well liked in Quebec due to his time with the Nordiques and would be welcomed with arms wide open by Habs fans.

As for Souray, Perezhogin and Kostitsyn...

Souray is a UFA at season's end and he will be very difficult to re-sign since Markov and Rivet are probably priorities and Niinimaa might get preference over him as well (better skater and a Finnish teammate for Koivu).

Perezhogin is developing into a well-rounded player who has offensive potential, but with young guys like Higgins, Plekanec and Ryder coming up the ranks and veterans like Koivu, Kovalev and Samsonov holding the fort, he is expendable.

Kostitsyn seems to have incredible potential and yet he lost his chance at a roster spot this year to a 19-year-old rookie who came straight out of the QMJHL. He obviously has a ways to go in his development.

Bottom line: You have to give something to get something. Sakic would be an ideal player to centre Kovalev and Samsonov and would give Montreal two great offensive threats and the best line-up they've had in years.

Since86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2006, 09:56 AM
Rahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post
If it means us winning the stanley cup, it's just right.
Because getting Sakic and losing Souray means we win the cup?

Whatever..

Rahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2006, 10:36 AM
Harry Kakalovich

Quote:
To MTL:
Joe Sakic ($5.75M)*

To COL:

[
No deal. Kostitsyn is bringing the cup to Montreal... on his back.

Harry Kakalovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2006, 10:40 AM
KaptainKourage*

There is a much more fair deal :

To Montreal :
Joe Sakic
Jose Theodore
Patrice Brisebois

To Colorado :
Duncan Milroy

KaptainKourage* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2006, 12:12 PM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezhogin_19 View Post
Why not?

Counter offer:

To Mtl: Sakic and Théodore

To Col: Souray, Bonk, Perezhogin and Huet

Huet vs Théo... CRAP FOR CRAP!

not funny at all

ChemiseBleuHonnete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2006, 04:00 PM
Maxpac

my x-max proposal would be for Lecavalier, he's the exact type of center we need

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2006, 04:04 PM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahan View Post
Because getting Sakic and losing Souray means we win the cup?

Whatever..
Notice that their's an IF, in my sentence...

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2006, 04:05 PM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guillaume the great! View Post
my x-max proposal would be for Lecavalier, he's the exact type of center we need
Exept he's drastically overpayed.

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2006, 06:33 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

It's too much to give up for a rentaplayer. When we got Kovalev, it was Balej and a pick. That's fair enough, IMO. So take EITHER Kostitsyn OR Perezhogin plus another pick or prospect, and that's about what we might legitimately be able to give up for a rental. If it's not enough for Sakic (and IMO it wouldn't be, even assuming Colorado is looking brutal and Sakic doesn't have a whole lot of points, simply because others would bid higher) then that's fine. Giving up Souray would be silly, he does as much for us as Sakic would.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2006, 08:19 PM
Kirk Muller*

Quote:
Originally Posted by fufonzo View Post
Because he went for the money 10 years ago?

I can guarantee that he would have gotten more money by one of the other 29 teams if he would have tested free agency at any point in his UFA career.
Also, in 1997, he had been in Colorado for two years and was 28 years old. Priorities change and the situation can change after 10 years.
There is now way he signs elsewhere.
True, priorities change, but when your top 3 priorities are money, money and money, that doesn't change anything. What I'm saying is that Sakic is more about money than team loyalty or winning. There is direct proof of that. Maybe some people want to be blind and say it's not true and that he never signed with the Rangers, but that's not my problem. I have no doubt he will have re-sign with Colorado.

Old
10-18-2006, 08:21 PM
Phil Parent
Is Watching The D

vCash: 50
I don't want Sakic. I want Liles.

Phil Parent is offline   Reply With Quote