HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Kris Letang on the block?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-26-2013, 03:52 PM
  #651
superhenderson13
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 184
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
Oh come on be a little realistic
I know, I know... we'll throw in tyler kennedy?

superhenderson13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 03:57 PM
  #652
Scuba-Steve
Registered User
 
Scuba-Steve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Québec
Posts: 1,205
vCash: 50
If the Habs were to trade Pacioretty for Letang i would break something !

Scuba-Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 04:22 PM
  #653
uncleben85
My face is my mask.
 
uncleben85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Erin, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,798
vCash: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Label View Post
There is no reason that the Penguins have to choose between the two of them. Letang at $7M/season will not force the Penguins to get rid of Martin or anyone else of importance.
oh its doable, but would make things super tight financially.
with the cap going down, itd be a lot harder to re-sign a guy like dupuis, and pretty much removes iginla from their future

and also have to remember, kunitz, orpik, niskanen and vokoun will all be ufas in a years time too

uncleben85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 04:46 PM
  #654
Letang fan 58
No More Fleury
 
Letang fan 58's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,815
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stardog View Post
That is assuming that he doesnt want to test free agency. It is also assuming that he doesnt want to re-sign with the Pens.

If he were open to resigning an extension, then we resign him.
There is absolutely no point in trading him were he sign an extension.
The only reason we would trade him is if he wasnt willing to resign with us. And I highly doubt that he would be willing to sign a deal with another team that he wouldnt sign with us.
Just as I highly doubt a team would be willing to give him a whole lot more than what we would give him.
The whole 'trade value contengent on Letang signing a deal with a new team' is pure speculation and it doesnt add up.
No thats not the point. It's not assuming that he'd want to sign or test UFA or anything. Teams will have to pay to get him as if he's signed to a 6 year deal already. The price wont be based off the possibility of him testing free agency.

Any team that will be worried about that simply wont be in the mix to trade for him. It'll take some balls from another GM to just get a trade done and then work a contract after.

Letang fan 58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 04:47 PM
  #655
Letang fan 58
No More Fleury
 
Letang fan 58's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,815
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba-Steve View Post
If the Habs were to trade Pacioretty for Letang i would break something !
me 2, no thanks.

Letang fan 58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 04:50 PM
  #656
stardog
Registered User
 
stardog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,003
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by superhenderson13 View Post
not to stir up anymore feuds, but Martin was MUCH better than Letang this postseason.

Letang will always have more skill, but Martin outplayed anyone on that penguins defense.
I disagree. Up until the Boston series (where the entire team except maybe Vokoun and Cooke crapped the bed), Letang was having a playoffs for the ages. Literraly. Through two rounds, only 5 defensemen in the entire HISTORY of the NHL had produced like Tanger did.

I realize that critics of his game will always draw back to the subjective arguments about his defense, but that really isnt a valid argument either considering that he was on the ice for a grand total of TWO ES goals against in the first two rounds and one of them should have never gone in.

I also realize that critics are dismissive of his offense, as if it shouldnt be allowed in the equation, but that would be foolish. Think about what he did through two rounds. 5 players in the long history of the league can say that. His offense is simply dominant. It isnt being given the credit and accolades that it deserves.
Despite not scoring at all in the four games against the Bruins, he still finished above a point per game average. He still finished tied for 6th in playoff scoring!
He finished tied for second place in Points Per Game.
And this stat is amazing as well. Despite all of the complaining about from the vocal minority of Penguins fans who damn his prowess on the power play, guess who led the entire playoffs in power play points, despite NOT playing tje final round? Kris Letang did.

Paul Martin is certainly better in his own zone, as he always makes the safe play. But were acting like Martin is this great shut down guy, ala Chara when he still makes mistakes on a nightly basis. Martins edge in the defensive zone does not come close to making up for the HUGE gap between the two in every other area of the ice.

Martin gets a free ride by some because of his improvement over last year. In fact, most of the people who pimp him as better than Letang are just regurgitating what they see other people have said.

He is a good defenseman, a solid #2/3 guy and is finally playing near the level of his contract value. But he did not outplay Kris Letang this year.

To put a nail on my point, how many votes did he get for the Norris trophy? I'll help you out. He recieved ONE fifth place vote. To take it a step further, Brooks Orpik finished ahead of Paul Martin (who finished 23rd overall, while Orpik finished 18th). Letang was amongst the guys like Subban and Sutter while Martin finished tied with guys like Sheldon Souray and Lubomir Visnovsky. Fine defensemen, but not #1 guys.
People need to appreciate his talents a bit more than they do, and at the same time, some Penguins fans need to realize how Paul Martin is quickly becoming unfairly overrated.

stardog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 04:56 PM
  #657
stardog
Registered User
 
stardog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,003
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybudd View Post
Actually think it would be the worst possible pairing that has a legit chance of being seen in an all star game.
Actually, I agree with the first guy. It would be devistating. Two young, elite defensemen who can play everywhere on the ice, get the puck out of the zone in a hurry, one with an elite shot, the other with elite passing skills...it would be quite the combination.

stardog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 04:58 PM
  #658
stardog
Registered User
 
stardog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,003
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Letang fan 58 View Post
No thats not the point. It's not assuming that he'd want to sign or test UFA or anything. Teams will have to pay to get him as if he's signed to a 6 year deal already. The price wont be based off the possibility of him testing free agency.

Any team that will be worried about that simply wont be in the mix to trade for him. It'll take some balls from another GM to just get a trade done and then work a contract after.
The point being, if he is willing to sign that 6 year deal, then he is going to sign it in Pittsburgh.

stardog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 05:07 PM
  #659
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat
 
Shrimper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Essex
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 88,021
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dharvey33 View Post
I'd do Paciorretty plus Diaz for Letang.

Then i would sign Dupuis for our 3rd line.

Letang Subban pairing would be devastating.
Plus Letang being probably the second best french canadian in the league after St-Louis makes a great pr move.

Letang might be overrated but he has a similar skills set to Karlsson IMO while being more physical.

Pitts gets a decent pp guy in Diaz plus a sniper to play with Crosby.

Fair deal IMO.

Letang makes the habs a better team than Paciorretty does. We sorely lack that 2nd dman that can rack up 20 + minutes. It was a crying need in the playoffs. Gorges can't do it. Beaulieu might but not now.

A forward is easier replaced than a dman.
Going by the responses and offers on here you'd think he was some third line player.

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 06:45 PM
  #660
Letang fan 58
No More Fleury
 
Letang fan 58's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,815
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stardog View Post
The point being, if he is willing to sign that 6 year deal, then he is going to sign it in Pittsburgh.
If Shero decides he's better off trading 58 for a huge return and doesn't want to tie a big chunk of salary up in him when we have a lot of good d prospects on the way then it doesn't matter if Letang would sign in Pgh or not.

I was just saying any team that trades for Letang would have to do it as if he was signed for 6 years already, because they wont be in the mix if they think they can get a trade discount because of him only having 1 year remaining.

Letang fan 58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 06:46 PM
  #661
Letang fan 58
No More Fleury
 
Letang fan 58's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,815
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
Going by the responses and offers on here you'd think he was some third line player.
Definitely a 3rd pairing dman, who can't skate, and falls over anytime he gets near the puck.

Letang fan 58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 08:41 PM
  #662
Pi
Registered User
 
Pi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 32,615
vCash: 50
#TribHKY An update on the #LetangWatch will post on site around midnight. #pens #leafs

-Rossi

He's not reliable right?

Because I'd want Dave Nonis fired if he gives up Morgan Rielly and one of our top six forwards for Letang (which I'm assuming will be the price, if not more).

Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 08:43 PM
  #663
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä
 
Captain Hook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 14,906
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
#TribHKY An update on the #LetangWatch will post on site around midnight. #pens #leafs

-Rossi

He's not reliable right?

Because I'd want Dave Nonis fired if he gives up Morgan Rielly and one of our top six forwards for Letang (which I'm assuming will be the price, if not more).
Don't worry too much. Rossi is one of the worst and least reliable reporters out there.

Captain Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 08:44 PM
  #664
domaug*
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Archbald, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,121
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
#TribHKY An update on the #LetangWatch will post on site around midnight. #pens #leafs

-Rossi

He's not reliable right?

Because I'd want Dave Nonis fired if he gives up Morgan Rielly and one of our top six forwards for Letang (which I'm assuming will be the price, if not more).
Rossi is about as reliable with hockey news as a hockey puck.

domaug* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 08:46 PM
  #665
Weakside Lock
Moderator
Window: open
 
Weakside Lock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Moncton, NB
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,610
vCash: 500
Whenever Rossi reports something, you can assume it isn't going to happen.

Weakside Lock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 08:56 PM
  #666
stardog
Registered User
 
stardog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,003
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Letang fan 58 View Post
If Shero decides he's better off trading 58 for a huge return and doesn't want to tie a big chunk of salary up in him when we have a lot of good d prospects on the way then it doesn't matter if Letang would sign in Pgh or not.

I was just saying any team that trades for Letang would have to do it as if he was signed for 6 years already, because they wont be in the mix if they think they can get a trade discount because of him only having 1 year remaining.
But Shero doesnt think like some of the Pens fans here. Based on everything he has said, his desire is to sign Letang. His desire is not to trade Letang. The only thing that would get in the way of such is an inability to SIGN Letang. Not some notion by some Pens fans that we are better off trading him.
Because this team would certainly NOT be "better off" with a line up that doesnt include Letang.

Therefore the whole point of trading for a signed Letang (and where are you getting this six year number from btw?) is moot. If he is signed, it will be with Pitt. If he is traded it will be only because Shero is unable to sign him.

Those are the exact parameters of the situation and how you should be approaching it on these forums. Because that is the reality of the situation.

stardog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 09:42 PM
  #667
superhenderson13
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 184
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stardog View Post
I disagree. Up until the Boston series (where the entire team except maybe Vokoun and Cooke crapped the bed), Letang was having a playoffs for the ages. Literraly. Through two rounds, only 5 defensemen in the entire HISTORY of the NHL had produced like Tanger did.

I realize that critics of his game will always draw back to the subjective arguments about his defense, but that really isnt a valid argument either considering that he was on the ice for a grand total of TWO ES goals against in the first two rounds and one of them should have never gone in.

I also realize that critics are dismissive of his offense, as if it shouldnt be allowed in the equation, but that would be foolish. Think about what he did through two rounds. 5 players in the long history of the league can say that. His offense is simply dominant. It isnt being given the credit and accolades that it deserves.
Despite not scoring at all in the four games against the Bruins, he still finished above a point per game average. He still finished tied for 6th in playoff scoring!
He finished tied for second place in Points Per Game.
And this stat is amazing as well. Despite all of the complaining about from the vocal minority of Penguins fans who damn his prowess on the power play, guess who led the entire playoffs in power play points, despite NOT playing tje final round? Kris Letang did.

Paul Martin is certainly better in his own zone, as he always makes the safe play. But were acting like Martin is this great shut down guy, ala Chara when he still makes mistakes on a nightly basis. Martins edge in the defensive zone does not come close to making up for the HUGE gap between the two in every other area of the ice.

Martin gets a free ride by some because of his improvement over last year. In fact, most of the people who pimp him as better than Letang are just regurgitating what they see other people have said.

He is a good defenseman, a solid #2/3 guy and is finally playing near the level of his contract value. But he did not outplay Kris Letang this year.

To put a nail on my point, how many votes did he get for the Norris trophy? I'll help you out. He recieved ONE fifth place vote. To take it a step further, Brooks Orpik finished ahead of Paul Martin (who finished 23rd overall, while Orpik finished 18th). Letang was amongst the guys like Subban and Sutter while Martin finished tied with guys like Sheldon Souray and Lubomir Visnovsky. Fine defensemen, but not #1 guys.
People need to appreciate his talents a bit more than they do, and at the same time, some Penguins fans need to realize how Paul Martin is quickly becoming unfairly overrated.
we are talking about the playoffs. the Norris voting is completely irrelevant to the playoffs. that's like saying Bobrovsky was better than Vokoun in the playoffs because Bob won the Vezina. Regular season accolades have no standing when looking at a player's postseason performance.

yes kris letang had a better playoffs offensively, but martin had a very respectable point total at 11 with significantly less time on the powerplay than Letang.

Letang was on the ice for only 2 ES strength goals through rounds 1 and 2? What? Letang was on the ice for more than 2 ES goals in 2 games in Round 1...

1. Game 3 @ NY Islanders, Letang was on the ice for the first islanders goal

2. Game 3 @ NY Islanders, Letang was on the ice for the fourth islanders goal

2. Game 4 @ NY Islanders, Letang was on the ice for the first goal.

that's 3 goals right there, and I stopped looking. not sure where you got that stat from.

and yes, letang's offensive ability's should be in the discussion, yet at the same time you cant give him a free pass in the defensive zone just because of his game in the offensive zone.

martin is a lot better in the offensive zone than letang is in the defensive zone.

and you keep talking about letang's game through rounds 1 and 2. martin was solid in all 3 rounds. he was probably better than everyone in that boston series behind cooke and vokoun. a player at letang's level cant be given a free pass for being absolutely dreadful in a whole series.

superhenderson13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 09:47 PM
  #668
StefanW
Get well, Bryan
 
StefanW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,270
vCash: 50
Player like Letang do not come along very often. The Pens can get a pile of substantial pieces for him, but they would never amount to what Letang brings to a team. If there is any possible way to do it the obvious choice is to sign him. A trade would be the worst case scenario for the Pens, even with a very good package of players and picks coming back.

StefanW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 10:14 PM
  #669
Chiquito
Registered User
 
Chiquito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Guayaquil, Ecuador
Country: Ecuador
Posts: 243
vCash: 500
You could never trade Letang and get equal value. I hope the Penguins can keep him. He is still cheap ext year at 3.5. The cap will increase next year and subsequent years. So 6.5 million could be good. He is only 26 and just entering his prime. If they have to trade him it will be disappointing because he has all the attributes you will look for in a player.. Highly skilled and competitive.

Chiquito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 10:16 PM
  #670
DyerMaker66
Registered User
 
DyerMaker66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 10,670
vCash: 547
TSN just aired the story, citing Rossi.

DyerMaker66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 10:26 PM
  #671
Hero
Buffy is Back
 
Hero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 20,798
vCash: 500
Rossi is a joke

Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 10:36 PM
  #672
AZPenguins
Registered User
 
AZPenguins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Tempe, AZ
Country: Zimbabwe
Posts: 1,121
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
Don't worry too much. Rossi is one of the worst and least reliable reporters out there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Holt View Post
Whenever Rossi reports something, you can assume it isn't going to happen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hero View Post
Rossi is a joke
I would say this sums up Rossi pretty well. He says Letang might be headed to TO? Letang will end up in San Jose.

AZPenguins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 10:37 PM
  #673
Waffle Fries
Registered User
 
Waffle Fries's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 18,078
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZPenguins View Post
I would say this sums up Rossi pretty well. He says Letang might be headed to TO? Letang will end up in San Jose.
More like Letang will end up signing an extension tomorrow

Waffle Fries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 10:41 PM
  #674
AZPenguins
Registered User
 
AZPenguins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Tempe, AZ
Country: Zimbabwe
Posts: 1,121
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waffle Fries View Post
More like Letang will end up signing an extension tomorrow
Probably. Gotta love how Rossi gets people wound up though.

AZPenguins is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:38 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2016 All Rights Reserved.