HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Sergei Kostitsyn to KHL

Old
06-26-2013, 05:53 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
Aren't they not allowed to mutually agree to terminate the contract? I thought the Preds would have to buy him out if they wanted to get rid of his contract.

From what I understand from reading the relevant portion of the CBA and an explanation on Cap Geek, "buried contract", or NHL SPCs for players playing in other leagues, the cap hit remains "less the league minimum plus $375,000", or $900k. That could just mean players sent to the AHL, but the way the CBA is worded it seems like it applies to any player on an NHL SPC playing in any other league.
I haven't browsed the full new CBA, but wouldn't they just be suspending him for leaving the team, instead of burying or loaning him? Nudge nudge wink wink, as the case may be, but surely they are still letting players who defect "against the team's will and outside it's control" be suspended with no cap penalty?

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 10:35 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

I think if SK broke the transfer agreement he would be barred by the IIHF from playing in international tournaments.

I was thinking Poile could have put him on waivers, but if no one picked him up, and honestly I don't think it's likely anyone would before free agency even opens, we're right back to where we started. He wanted this cleared up before July 5.

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 10:46 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
I think if SK broke the transfer agreement he would be barred by the IIHF from playing in international tournaments.

I was thinking Poile could have put him on waivers, but if no one picked him up, and honestly I don't think it's likely anyone would before free agency even opens, we're right back to where we started. He wanted this cleared up before July 5.
I'm pretty sure he has to go on waivers anyway in order to be loaned. Since it's known he wants to play in the KHL no team will touch him.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote