HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

I've become "the pest"!

Closed Thread

Old
06-27-2013, 12:16 AM
TMLOBI

vCash: 500
I've become "the pest"!

Ok so I just started up hockey again after a 7 year or so hiatus and I was never that good so naturally I'm still not that good. I do the little things people don't notice like skate hard, clear the net, stay in position, get in shooting lanes and block shots. But what I am not able to do is skate all that fast or carry the puck. So I have become the pest. The player the other bench seems to hate and chirp constantly. I'll draw penalties by getting into your face, pushing you (not hitting) just pushing you like offside or near your goalie to make room for myself. I'll hold your stick and call the ref saying I'm being hooked (beer league refs fall for that often.. especially because I'm not a good player so they think I don't know the game). I'll slash your shin pad to try and get you to retaliate. If you have the puck and I'm near you chances are you'll get past me rather easily but I'll still poke at the puck or your skate to slow you down. When guys get angry at my antics I usually just stand there with a big grin on my face. In the offensive zone I just crash the net hard and try to screen the goalie and hope to get a tip or a rebound. I'm not all that effective but I still manage to piss the other teams off something awful. Should have heard the guy the other day when I held his stick as the ref called him on the hook HAHAHA.

This is so much fun for me. People take it so seriously and I'm there to instigate and get under their skin. I've told a few guys on other teams that I am having lots of fun playing. This gets them a little pissed off.

I know most people will hate me for the pesty things I do but I will feed off of it!

So am I an ******* and stop being a pest? Or should I continue with my antics and try to draw penalties (really the biggest way I contribute to my team). I have drawn about 6 or so penalties in 9 games and have only taken one penalty as I goofed and slashed the guy back. We both went to the box.

A guy on my team after a game asked me "how do you manage to piss off the other bench every game? Like how can they be mad at you"? I'm typically a nice guy to most everyone so I understand his confusion HAHAHA. I'm having a blast!

Old
06-27-2013, 12:34 AM
7r4n
Catsyuk has Dangles

You're playing hockey to have fun, if being a pest makes you happy, do it! Pests IMO are the funniest, the best type of pest is the one who can do it, get chirped and answer back with an amazing goal. Think Sean Avery against Marty Brodeur although I think he got lucky with that one haha.

Hmmm how about Brad Marchand, he has the skills to back up his game but I think he's a pest just because it helps keep the momentum high on his team and he loves doing it.

Whatever you do in hockey, do it for fun cause if you aren't having fun, there's no point in playing (unless you're an NHL star making millions).

Keep it up! hahahaha

Old
06-27-2013, 02:54 AM
Phil Connors*

I'm assuming you play beer league (as you posted in the other thread).

I'd knock some of the stuff off (instigating people to take penalties, playing dirty), but playing hard is fine. If not, just don't ***** when someone cheap shots you, cause it will happen sooner or later.

Old
06-27-2013, 05:32 AM
Axman
MoreSkilledThanYou

I suppose that's fine if that's what you want out of the game but it is beer league. You say you're still not that good after starting back up again. Why not work hard to improve your weaknesses so you don't have to resort only to being that type of player? Work on your stickhandling and your shot in whatever spare time you have till you become confident in yourself and you'll be able to contribute more to your team. Add some skills and don't settle for being the guy everyone gets annoyed by.

Old
06-27-2013, 08:24 AM
jsykes

I think that's pretty childish for beer league. Everyone there is playing just for run, there is nothing significant on the line, they've paid good money to play and just want their ice time.

You, taking them off the ice by "drawing" penalties, which you know they dont deserve, is just taking away their legitimate ice time and stealing their fun from them.

Beer league is not a do whatever it takes to win kind of game. You're not playing for the cup. Being a pest is not a real job on a beer league team.

Screening the goalie, looking for tips, playing hard in front of the net is all fine. But deliberately slashing someone to get them to retaliate, holding sticks to cause hooking calls and playing like a ****** are not, imo, legitimate ways to play beer league hockey.

Old
06-27-2013, 08:41 AM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsykes View Post
I think that's pretty childish for beer league. Everyone there is playing just for run, there is nothing significant on the line, they've paid good money to play and just want their ice time.

You, taking them off the ice by "drawing" penalties, which you know they dont deserve, is just taking away their legitimate ice time and stealing their fun from them.

Beer league is not a do whatever it takes to win kind of game. You're not playing for the cup. Being a pest is not a real job on a beer league team.

Screening the goalie, looking for tips, playing hard in front of the net is all fine. But deliberately slashing someone to get them to retaliate, holding sticks to cause hooking calls and playing like a ****** are not, imo, legitimate ways to play beer league hockey.
This gave me a bit of a chuckle.

Theres actually a guy in our league who played a few years in the ECHL and he pretty much does anything to win including holding sticks while yelling at the ref to look as well as doing things like throwing very hard intent to hurt elbows.

Doesn't need to do this but the guy is a giant ******.

Old
06-27-2013, 08:46 AM
BrummieRed

Playing hard is one thing. Cheating to get players penalised is another.

Old
06-27-2013, 08:53 AM
ChiTownHawks
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
This point says it all. Just like being an enforcer is not a real job in beer league. You're not a pest you're just annoying.

Old
06-27-2013, 09:04 AM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownHawks View Post
This point says it all. Just like being an enforcer is not a real job in beer league. You're not a pest you're just annoying.
Hear hear

Old
06-27-2013, 09:43 AM
Frankie Spankie

Quote:

This -- There's a place for pests in pro hockey, not in beer league hockey. Everyone is there to have some fun and get some exercise, not get pissed off because somebody is intentionally trying to get under their skin. For a lot of guys, that's exactly WHY they go play hockey, to just have some fun with the guys and get away from all the **** in their everyday lives...

Old
06-27-2013, 10:07 AM
17of26

In the NHL, you'd be a pest. In beer league, you're just being an annoying jerk.

Old
06-27-2013, 10:27 AM
JoeCool16

If you're having fun, go for it, but I don't think you'll get any approval here. It sounds like you're really annoying, and I hope you lose all the games you play in

Old
06-27-2013, 10:30 AM
leftwinger37

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMLOBI View Post
I know most people will hate me for the pesty things I do but I will feed off of it!

So am I an ******* and stop being a pest? Or should I continue with my antics and try to draw penalties (really the biggest way I contribute to my team). I have drawn about 6 or so penalties in 9 games and have only taken one penalty as I goofed and slashed the guy back. We both went to the box.

A guy on my team after a game asked me "how do you manage to piss off the other bench every game? Like how can they be mad at you"? I'm typically a nice guy to most everyone so I understand his confusion HAHAHA. I'm having a blast!
It's going to get old after awhile and the refs are going to catch on. And maybe your teammates won't say it to your face, but they're going to grow tired of it, too. A more sportsmanlike approach won't get you a Lady Byng in beer league, but it gets you the benefit of the doubt on a call.

After high school, I had the same gig for awhile. I had been out of the game for about two years and got picked up by a team of guys that had way more skill than I. I tried to carve out a niche for myself to justify my ice time, and I fell into the role of the agitator. It was great at first until the refs caught on. If you're not getting the calls or you start getting matching minors (for unsportsmanlike, etc. [for the record I was NEVER a diver]), you've defeated your own purpose.

Plus, if you're willing to fight like I was, you just end up fighting all of the time. The black eyes and facial contusions were great for wheeling girls, but the bottom line was that I wasn't really contributing.

My advice is to get your head out of your a$$ and play the game. You can still play hard and play with an edge, but knock off the theatrics because your team ends up getting a bad rep. Even if you don't think your skills are up to par, playing with better players can make you better. If can't have fun just playing the game, maybe you should find a different hobby.

That's free advice, so take it for what it's worth.

Old
06-27-2013, 10:44 AM
McDugan

It sounds like you're crossing the line from pest to ass-hat and leaving it well behind you.

Old
06-27-2013, 11:06 AM
LarryO

So you're turning a fun activity into a drag for everyone else. Congratulations.

Old
06-27-2013, 11:33 AM
TMLOBI

HAHA I won't quote one person because it appears you are all very naive. It seems like EVERY game I've played it people slash, throw checks (not a contact league), dive, punch someone in the face, ***** to the refs, chirp the other team, try to start fights, purposely hook, high stick and so many other things. If people want to play that way then I will play to annoy them so they take stupid penalties.

Example 1: whistle has yet to go and I see the puck at the top of the crease and the goalie is going to smother it, I skate hard and try to knock in it the net but the goalie gets it and the whistle blows and I let up. A guy TWO hands me so I slash him back and say "don't ****ing slash me" he *****es to the ref and we both go to the box.

Example 2: offensive zone lose puck on the boards on my wing other guy and I race for it I get there first he takes the but end of his stick and hits me in the ribs. I get the puck to a line mate and then he puts his stick under my arm pit so I don't let it go. He cheated so I did what it took to get him off the ice.

Those sorts of things happen every game and people aren't even trying to have fun. So I do what I do to have fun at peoples expense who take the game too seriously. Those are just a couple of the things that happen not including guys always punching other guys in the face. I have not been punched yet.

Seriously what am I doing that is so bad? Pushing a guy back after he pushes me near their net? Grabbing a stick when someone has already used it as a weapon on me? Slashing when someone slashes me first.

Anyways I'll still feed off the crap because it is funny to me that people don't lighten up and they take a beer league so seriously.

Old
06-27-2013, 11:53 AM
Jisatsu

If that's how you want to play, that's fine. If other players don't like it, they'll let you know. Just don't be surprised if some ogre who takes the game seriously puts you in the hospital. It's all fun and games till someone loses an eye. Then its just fun. But seriously, dirty play is lame.

Old
06-27-2013, 12:07 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

In beer league, it's just being an idiot. Drawing penalties by moving your feet and protecting the puck is smart. Giving guys little hacks and slashes and pushing them offsides and running your mouth is bush league. It's not the pros.

Old
06-27-2013, 12:14 PM
leftwinger37

Quote:
HAHA I won't quote one person because it appears you are all very naive... Anyways I'll still feed off the crap because it is funny to me that people don't lighten up and they take a beer league so seriously.
It sounds like you already have your mind made up, so why did you even ask the question?

Quote:
So am I an ******* and stop being a pest?

Old
06-27-2013, 12:20 PM
Splitbtw
Rebuild? Refresh?

Quote:
HAHA I won't quote one person because it appears you are all very naive. It seems like EVERY game I've played it people slash, throw checks (not a contact league), dive, punch someone in the face, ***** to the refs, chirp the other team, try to start fights, purposely hook, high stick and so many other things. If people want to play that way then I will play to annoy them so they take stupid penalties.

Example 1: whistle has yet to go and I see the puck at the top of the crease and the goalie is going to smother it, I skate hard and try to knock in it the net but the goalie gets it and the whistle blows and I let up. A guy TWO hands me so I slash him back and say "don't ****ing slash me" he *****es to the ref and we both go to the box.

Example 2: offensive zone lose puck on the boards on my wing other guy and I race for it I get there first he takes the but end of his stick and hits me in the ribs. I get the puck to a line mate and then he puts his stick under my arm pit so I don't let it go. He cheated so I did what it took to get him off the ice.

Those sorts of things happen every game and people aren't even trying to have fun. So I do what I do to have fun at peoples expense who take the game too seriously. Those are just a couple of the things that happen not including guys always punching other guys in the face. I have not been punched yet.

Seriously what am I doing that is so bad? Pushing a guy back after he pushes me near their net? Grabbing a stick when someone has already used it as a weapon on me? Slashing when someone slashes me first.

Anyways I'll still feed off the crap because it is funny to me that people don't lighten up and they take a beer league so seriously.
It's your approach and attitude towards the game. It may not make sense now, but hopefully it will soon. I used to do the same kind of stuff and run my mouth a bit more, but as I've gotten better, I've realized a lot of it is unnecessary.

Put that energy towards getting better, and you will. Look to gain respect from your overall play and attitude, not for a role that is pointless in beer league.

Old
06-27-2013, 12:26 PM
17of26

Quote:
So your solution to the problem of people being tools in your league is to be an even bigger tool? Way to contribute to the problem!

Why not be the better person and just play the game without stirring the pot?

Old
06-27-2013, 12:41 PM
jsykes

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftwinger37 View Post
It sounds like you already have your mind made up, so why did you even ask the question?
Yeah, sounds like nothing more needs to be said. His second post isnt really the same as his first made it sounds.

Sounds like he came in here looking for a bunch of "atta boys" and when everyone didnt agree with him, excuses were made and now its everyone else in the leagues fault.

Oh well enjoy.

Old
06-27-2013, 12:42 PM
Danko
...the way she goes

vCash: 420
This thread and your viewpoint absolutely suck.

Scouts watching ya or something? No Need for that, guys are out there having fun.

This is what is wrong with most Beer Leagues...i like the fact that you say you think its funny guys take it so serious...meanwhile your trying to be Sean Avery and play a "pest" role.

Last edited by Danko: 06-27-2013 at 12:48 PM.
Old
06-27-2013, 01:13 PM
CarlWinslow
@hiphopsicles

Quote:

That isn't the situation you described in you original post though. The first story was that you grabbed the stick of anyone near you and yelled at the ref hoping to send them to the box for no justifiable reason. Your other examples were the same; you trying to draw penalties against innocent parties.

I would argue that you are actually the one who needs to lighten up and stop taking a beer league so seriously. You are the one running around acting like a cowardly ******* just to win. Like others have said, you aren't playing for the cup.

Also like others have said, don't be surprised if someone gets sick of your ridiculous antics and drops you. I know if I was your teammate and that's the way you played, I wouldn't step in to defend you if you were being pummeled.

Old
06-27-2013, 02:10 PM
Fanned On It

Quote:

This post just reaks of lies you're using to make your behavior seem more acceptable, to be honest. You keep saying how everyone ELSE is taking the game too seriously, yet here you are holding people's sticks attempting to draw penalties that the other guy doesn't even deserve. I mean I get it, you suck at actually PLAYING HOCKEY so instead of doing the rational thing and improving your game, you take the low road and say "***** it!" Sounds pretty lame to me, and if you were playing in my league someone would have taken care of you by now. You're probably what? 18 years old? Just old enough to start playing adult league hockey and you think everyone on your team is getting a laugh out of your antics? Yeah... well, I guess to each his own... but if you were on my team I'd just think you were an ass.

Also, for what it's worth, I play on 3 different teams in 3 different levels (C2, C, and B2) and I have literally NEVER encountered a person who plays the way you are describing. In my beer league people are more interested in you know... making plays, skating hard, scoring goals, playing good defense, etc.

Idk, it just seems like your mentality is childish.

Closed Thread