HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Connor McDavid at 2014 WJC in Malmo?

Closed Thread

Old
06-19-2013, 10:23 AM
andersej

vCash: 500
Connor McDavid at 2014 WJC in Malmo?

What are the odds of Connor McDavid being on Team Canada at the next WJC in Sweden?

He will still only be 16 years old at the time. Crosby played in the WJC at that age...

Old
06-19-2013, 11:03 AM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

I think there's a good chance.

I think there are people here who overstate the likelihood of him going - i think there's going to be a lot of competition for those spots. But there are also a bunch of players there last year who won't be coming back...he he can make it if he seems like he can play at that level.

I don't think we'll really know until we see how he plays next year. IMO, people are putting too much stock in his performance at U18. Yes, he did lead the tournament in points and was the MVP - and that was very impressive. However, he was also a non-factor against the US and Finland. - and the competition he will face at U20 will be much tougher.

Old
06-19-2013, 11:27 AM
Mr Writer

He has a 50/50 shot and I hope he's already through with his summer vacation and hitting the work out routine with Gary Roberts big time, b/c he's going to have to come out of the blocks smoking hot and be at least Top 5 in scoring to get an invite to December selection camp. I hear Hockey Canada plans on sending him to the Ivan Hlinka tournament in August, thus giving him every opportunity they can... they often didn't give Nate Mackinnon the same consideration.

Old
06-19-2013, 09:27 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Writer View Post
He has a 50/50 shot and I hope he's already through with his summer vacation and hitting the work out routine with Gary Roberts big time, b/c he's going to have to come out of the blocks smoking hot and be at least Top 5 in scoring to get an invite to December selection camp. I hear Hockey Canada plans on sending him to the Ivan Hlinka tournament in August, thus giving him every opportunity they can... they often didn't give Nate Mackinnon the same consideration.
Nate MacKinnon got exactly the same consideration - he went Hlinka as well. They didn't sent him to the Canada/US challenge - and I haven't heard anything to suggest that McDavid is going to the WJ camp this summer.

Something that might improve McDavid's chances is that Canada's 1994 forwards aren't great as a whole...so I think that most of the players he's competing with will be the 1995s.

Old
06-20-2013, 03:34 AM
Mr Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
Nate MacKinnon got exactly the same consideration - he went Hlinka as well. They didn't sent him to the Canada/US challenge - and I haven't heard anything to suggest that McDavid is going to the WJ camp this summer.

Something that might improve McDavid's chances is that Canada's 1994 forwards aren't great as a whole...so I think that most of the players he's competing with will be the 1995s.
We'll have to agree to disagree on that.

Sending/not sending McDavid to this year's summer camp to Lake Placid NY is a whole different kettle of fish than sending/not sending Mackinnon to last summer's Canada/Russia series, age, draft year etc. I mean really...what does this say about the coach who can't take arguably the country's best junior player (center) to an exhibition series when everybody and his pet goldfish knew he'd be on the team come Christmas. Does this guy Spott have any balls whatsoever? To roll over and let Hockey Canada say well, we have this rule whereby a player has to do this before he does that... you think in hindsight having Mackinnon go to Russia last summer would have answered a whole lot of questions for the coach? Any coach worth anything would have told HC to go screw off with your idiotic, bureaucratic Hockey Canada political BS, I'm taking the kid. but since his name is Spott, perhaps that's really all he is good for is rolling over...maybe if he can learn to fetch Hockey Canada would consider him for another coaching gig.

But we can agree the quicker we can get out of the 1994 born players and into the 95s and younger, the better. I do know one thing though; now that the worst chief scout in the history of sports has been turfed from HC, I am a little more optimistic that they can get back to picking gold medal contending teams. Although I'm confused as to why HC has yet to update it's website re: aforementioned chief scout.

Last edited by Mr Writer: 06-20-2013 at 08:35 AM.
Old
06-20-2013, 04:50 AM
Huffman

I would be surprised if he wasn't there.

Old
06-20-2013, 06:11 AM
Pajicz

Send a message via Yahoo to Pajicz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffman View Post
I would be surprised if he wasn't there.
After McDavid's U18 performance this year, I'd be surprised too.

But still, Canada's depth is always outstanding, so there are several other good candidates that might not get in.

Old
06-20-2013, 09:48 AM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Quote:

Sending/not sending McDavid to this year's summer camp to Lake Placid NY is a whole different kettle of fish than sending/not sending Mackinnon to last summer's Canada/Russia series, age, draft year etc. I mean really...what does this say about the coach who can't take arguably the country's best junior player (center) to an exhibition series when everybody and his pet goldfish knew he'd be on the team come Christmas. Does this guy Spott have any balls whatsoever? To roll over and let Hockey Canada say well, we have this rule whereby a player has to do this before he does that... you think in hindsight having Mackinnon go to Russia last summer would have answered a whole lot of questions for the coach? Any coach worth anything would have told HC to go screw off with your idiotic, bureaucratic Hockey Canada political BS, I'm taking the kid. but since his name is Spott, perhaps that's really all he is good for is rolling over...maybe if he can learn to fetch Hockey Canada would consider him for another coaching gig.

But we can agree the quicker we can get out of the 1994 born players and into the 95s and younger, the better. I do know one thing though; now that the worst chief scout in the history of sports has been turfed from HC, I am a little more optimistic that they can get back to picking gold medal contending teams. Although I'm confused as to why HC has yet to update it's website re: aforementioned chief scout.
really your complaint is that mackinnon didn't receive special treatment. you're also dead wrong about him being the "best junior player" in the CHL after his rookie year. are you actually serious?

Old
06-20-2013, 10:01 AM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Hockey Canada is generally pretty rigid with stuff like this. McDavid might attend camp in a romper room capacity, but I would be very surprised if he made the final team.

Old
06-20-2013, 10:09 AM
Mr Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
really your complaint is that mackinnon didn't receive special treatment. you're also dead wrong about him being the "best junior player" in the CHL after his rookie year. are you actually serious?
What I said was, if you care to read, and pay attention this time, you can't compare the two, this summer's camp and last year's Canada/Russia series given age/draft year. and I said arguably the best junior player..there were many in the country making that argument. Who would have been better? I rank two better junior age players in the country 93-95 birth years, RNH and Huberdeau. I would not rank Mark Scheifele or any other as a better junior age player for last year's tournament.

Old
06-26-2013, 10:59 PM
MyNameIsNobody*

Quote:

Jankowski, 38, has spent the last three seasons as an amateur scout with the Montreal Canadiens after working... This from tsn

The word amateur worries me

Old
06-26-2013, 11:04 PM
Gigantor The Goalie

vCash: 366
Other then age why not send him there? McDavid just dominated and won every award possible in the U-18 tourney. He has the most skill out of every forward we can send to the U-20. Put him on the second line, give him some of the best finishers he can have and watch as he lights up the tournament again. Everyone complains that we never send enough skilled players. McDavid is about as skilled as they get. When every scout says that McDavid would be 1st overall in this years draft, that should say something.

Old
06-27-2013, 03:55 AM
Mr Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsNobody View Post
Jankowski, 38, has spent the last three seasons as an amateur scout with the Montreal Canadiens after working... This from tsn

The word amateur worries me
All that means is he scouted players in non professional leagues, i.e. juniors, college players etc.

Old
06-27-2013, 04:12 AM
Mr Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigantor The Goalie View Post
Other then age why not send him there? McDavid just dominated and won every award possible in the U-18 tourney. He has the most skill out of every forward we can send to the U-20. Put him on the second line, give him some of the best finishers he can have and watch as he lights up the tournament again. Everyone complains that we never send enough skilled players. McDavid is about as skilled as they get. When every scout says that McDavid would be 1st overall in this years draft, that should say something.
I agree McDavid should make the team...by the time this tournament roles around next Christmas, with Mackinnon in the NHL, I don't really think there's another more talented center in the country. 1994 born players is not a particularly strong year for Canada. The best 1994 born centers are Monahan, Leipsic and S. Laughten.(maybe in the NHL next season) Domi is a 95 born player and should be on the team, but not at center depending on Laughten's situation with Philly.

Closed Thread