HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Vinny Lecavalier bought out | signed with Philly (5 years, $4.5M cap hit, full NMC)

Old
06-27-2013, 09:49 AM
CNS
A World Alone

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningStrikes View Post
Wow. Gotta wonder why now and not next season (if at all).

Man, my brain says "kinda makes sense" but my heart says "".
Can't risk the injury. If he's hurt next off season, they're stuck with him for the entire duration of his contract.

CNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 09:50 AM
X0X0A0
Sons of Pirates

vCash: 423
But Vinik can't afford it!

I love him but hard to fault Yzerman for this. Atleast July 5th will be interesting now that we have some space.

Two questions I wonder is if this news means we go after Barkov if he's available and if the Lightning try and sign Richards if he's bought out.

X0X0A0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 09:51 AM
The Wyzerhood
A league of his own

The thought of having to play against him on a future divisional rival makes this hurt even more.

The Wyzerhood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 09:55 AM
TampaBolt
Muck Fichigan!

I have been a fan of this team since I was a kid and this news makes me wanna cry. Hope the best for Vinny, a class act and invaluable for the community. Wish him well. Does this mean Barkov? Is SFY preparing a trade for a 2nd line center so we can still hopefully draft Drouin?

TampaBolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 09:58 AM
ThunderAlleyNomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelsil View Post
Pretty angry and depressed right now. Don't agree with it. Not gonna be surprised if Marty asks to be traded for a more realistic shot at the cup since we're apparently full-on rebuilding.
Man I know it hurts, but let's be realistic. Even Vinny and his agent said they knew that contract was a killer. Clearing up that much cap space is not a full on rebuilding ploy, it's a realization that there are missing pieces that we need to be a competitive team. Pieces that weren't attainable with with how close to the cap we were pushing.

That being said, I'm really surprised it happened this offseason and not next. I get that he could be injured (ok, was likely to be injured, it is Vinny after all), but it does leave a rather large hole at center.

ThunderAlleyNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 10:00 AM
Xenophobia Catalyst
Fear The Flash

vCash: 50
Shocked. Sad. Surprised.

I really want to see him back in the future. Hope this leads to soming positive.

Thanks for everything Vinny.

Xenophobia Catalyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 10:05 AM
Doctor Drej
Unregistered User

My minds telling me yes, but my body is telling me no.

Doctor Drej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 10:06 AM
HoseEmDown

This is the wrong move this offseason. Why not get another year out of him before we do this. We are a much worse team next year, I guess we want a top 3 pick again. Barkov is not gonna be ready for a top 6 role just yet. Hopefully rushing him into that role doesn't affect his development.

This is the saddest day in lightning history, and a tough day for the Tampa area. It's gonna be hard to go to a game knowing Vinny isn't there anymore. Whoever said Marty should've been the captain the whole time anyway is completely wrong, Vinny has always been the leader of this team. Hope they make Stamkos the captain and trade Marty and full rebuild.

HoseEmDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 10:08 AM
2 Weekes Notice

It isn’t a perfect comparison, but I live in Wisconsin and have been a Packer fan my whole life, which of course includes the transition from Brett Favre to Aaron Rodgers.

It stung short-term, especially seeing Favre have a lot of success against us with a division rival, but after a few years the freed-up space and the new responsibility for the younger star resulted in a Super Bowl win with Rodgers, coincidentally the same year that the old QB fell apart.

Might Vinny go play for the Habs and light us up? Sure. Does it hurt to see him go? Yup. Is this going to better in the long run than delaying the inevitable? I’m inclined to believe it is.

People thought the Packers couldn’t exist without Favre, but they had a special player that they trusted could blossom with the added pressure.

Jeff Vinik said in an interview last season “There’s no reason we can’t be the Green Bay Packers of the NHL”

Thank you for everything, Vinny. You'll always be a bolt and hopefully #4 will hang in the rafters some day.

We’re entering a brave new world. Here we go.

2 Weekes Notice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 10:08 AM
The Wyzerhood
A league of his own

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoseEmDown View Post
This is the wrong move this offseason. Why not get another year out of him before we do this. We are a much worse team next year, I guess we want a top 3 pick again. Barkov is not gonna be ready for a top 6 role just yet. Hopefully rushing him into that role doesn't affect his development.

This is the saddest day in lightning history, and a tough day for the Tampa area. It's gonna be hard to go to a game knowing Vinny isn't there anymore. Whoever said Marty should've been the captain the whole time anyway is completely wrong, Vinny has always been the leader of this team. Hope they make Stamkos the captain and trade Marty and full rebuild.
Aaron Ekblad in 2014?

Old
06-27-2013, 10:10 AM
Durrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampa Bay Trio View Post
Wait, I thought we were trading Vinny to Toronto with the 3rd overall pick?
You do realize that this trade was blocked by the NHL right?

Durrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 10:12 AM
The Wyzerhood
A league of his own

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Weekes Notice View Post
It isn’t a perfect comparison, but I live in Wisconsin and have been a Packer fan my whole life, which of course includes the transition from Brett Favre to Aaron Rodgers.

It stung short-term, especially seeing Favre have a lot of success against us with a division rival, but after a few years the freed-up space and the new responsibility for the younger star resulted in a Super Bowl win with Rodgers, coincidentally the same year that the old QB fell apart.

Might Vinny go play for the Habs and light us up? Sure. Does it hurt to see him go? Yup. Is this going to better in the long run than delaying the inevitable? I’m inclined to believe it is.

People thought the Packers couldn’t exist without Favre, but they had a special player that they trusted could blossom with the added pressure.

Jeff Vinik said in an interview last season “There’s no reason we can’t be the Green Bay Packers of the NHL”

Thank you for everything, Vinny. You'll always be a bolt and hopefully #4 will hang in the rafters some day.

We’re entering a brave new world. Here we go.
The big difference was that Favre was 38 and Vinny is 33. But I see what you are saying and I agree to an extent. From a business perspective it makes sense, but from a team culture/personal attachment standpoint, I obviously hate this move.

Old
06-27-2013, 10:12 AM
angelsil
On Thin Ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by albatross View Post
Clearing up that much cap space is not a full on rebuilding ploy
I dunno. I look at our line-up and I see we've got a lot of missing pieces and/or young players. Jettisoning our captain just adds to the already gaping holes. It feels like we're rebuilding to me. I don't expect us to be competitive for several years given the level of experience of the team currently, but - hey - I'd love to be proven wrong.

Yeah, I agree the contract was bogus, but I also expected to maybe see this next year. Objectively of course I understand the thinking behind it, I just don't agree with the timing or the necessity of doing it this year.

angelsil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 10:14 AM
stryfe604
Believes in Yzergod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durrr View Post
Sarcasm man...

stryfe604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 10:14 AM
The Wyzerhood
A league of his own

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durrr View Post
Give your sarcasm detector a shake.

Old
06-27-2013, 10:15 AM
2 Weekes Notice

Quote:
The big difference was that Favre was 38 and Vinny is 33. But I see what you are saying and agree to an extent. From a business perspective it makes sense, but from a team culture/personal attachment standpoint, I obviously hate this move.
Perhaps. Favre had another 3 years or so. I estimate Vinny has maybe 4 or 5?

Again, not a perfect comparison. Vinny's cap is the reason here while Favre blocking out Rodgers was the reason there. But I remember seeing all these emotions from Packer nation when that happened and I just wanted to suggest that it gets better. Or at least it did that time. Just depends if we want to trust Stamkos/Cooper/Yzerman the way Packer fans originally didn't trust Rodgers/McCarthy/Thompson (until the winning started again)

Old
06-27-2013, 10:17 AM
ThunderAlleyNomad

I'm starting to feel guilty for not feeling as bad as the rest of you.

ThunderAlleyNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 10:18 AM
Cigar City

This is ****ing ********.

I hope he kills it this year. Not a fan of yet another move. Will always love VL4.

A sad, sad day for the Lightning organization. And no Drouin.

Cigar City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 10:21 AM
The Wyzerhood
A league of his own

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Weekes Notice View Post
Perhaps. Favre had another 3 years or so. I estimate Vinny has maybe 4 or 5?

Again, not a perfect comparison. Vinny's cap is the reason here while Favre blocking out Rodgers was the reason there. But I remember seeing all these emotions from Packer nation when that happened and I just wanted to suggest that it gets better. Or at least it did that time. Just depends if we want to trust Stamkos/Cooper/Yzerman the way Packer fans originally didn't trust Rodgers/McCarthy/Thompson (until the winning started again)
I'm not as worried about the void Vinny leaves at center, but am concerned about how this effects our team culture. Vinny was the face of the franchise at one point and his contract was signed with the intention of staying here for the rest of his career. Losing a long standing vet who was outstanding in the dressing room and the community can have a counterproductive effect on the chemistry and environment within the team.

Obviously, circumstances changed with the CBA and we had to adapt, but what does this mean for players like Marty or Stammer when he becomes a UFA in a few years? Hopefully it won't matter by then and we're a true cup contending team.

From the roster standpoint, we're well positioned to fill the gap this Sunday with Barkov at 3 if we choose to go for a center. Either way, the high pick will somewhat soften the blow (if they pan out).

Old
06-27-2013, 10:27 AM
The Wyzerhood
A league of his own

The only positive from this buy-out is the Leaf fans that will undoubtedly come to our board with their "generous" trade proposals since we now "need" a 2C. Grabo for the 3rd overall pick??

Old
06-27-2013, 10:31 AM
pucci2001

Quote:
The only positive from this buy-out is the Leaf fans that will undoubtedly come to our board with their "generous" trade proposals since we now "need" a 2C. Grabo for the 3rd overall pick??
How about Grabo for your second? We would settle for that lol. Maybe even give him to you for free if we land Vinny. That being said he isn't the right fit for you at 5.5m that just gives you a similar problem to the one you just dealt with. I read Filpulla from the Wings could be headed your way though.

pucci2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 10:33 AM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by pucci2001 View Post
How about Grabo for your second? We would settle for that lol. Maybe even give him to you for free if we land Vinny. That being said he isn't the right fit for you at 5.5m that just gives you a similar problem to the one you just dealt with. I read Filpulla from the Wings could be headed your way though.
The problem wasn't how much Vinny was making. It was how long he was making it.

Felonious Python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 10:33 AM
2 Weekes Notice

Quote:
I'm not as worried about the void Vinny leaves at center, but am concerned about how this effects our team culture. Vinny was the face of the franchise at one point and his contract was signed with the intention of staying here for the rest of his career. Losing a long standing vet who was outstanding in the dressing room and the community can have a counterproductive effect on the chemistry and environment within the team.

Obviously, circumstances changed with the CBA and we had to adapt, but what does this mean for players like Marty or Stammer when he becomes a UFA in a few years? Hopefully it won't matter by then and we're a true cup contending team.

From the roster standpoint, we're well positioned to fill the gap this Sunday with Barkov at 3 if we choose to go for a center. Either way, the high pick will somewhat soften the blow (if they pan out).
I understand what you're saying. I just think part of it for me is trusting that Stamkos can take on a leadership role, a face of the franchise role. I expect Marty will get the C, but this is going to become Stammer's team, Stammer's franchise soon. I think he's capable of that pressure. Whether he is or isn't, we'll find out.

Old
06-27-2013, 10:34 AM
Luddowich

A part of me just died.

Luddowich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 10:35 AM
The Wyzerhood
A league of his own

Quote:
Originally Posted by pucci2001 View Post
What FP said for the first half of your question.

As for the second part, IMHO, signing Filppula would also be a bad move since he's seeking 5 mil+ and hasn't really proven much in his career thus far, aside from one good season.