HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Offseason Thread Part V: Trade Em All!

Closed Thread

Old
06-27-2013, 09:41 AM
GAGLine

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Championship View Post
Staal says he'll play like he used to. That's good enough for me.
Is it good enough for Rutherford? That's the question.

Quote:
You're ******* right I would rather have #5 over the #20, who wouldn't, The 20th isn't worth Staal, but he IS worth the 5. That #5 is a valuable piece, and whoever that player is will play next year on this team if we got it.
Well, I've got some bad news for you then. Carolina isn't going to give us the #5 for Staal. Why would they do that? It makes much more sense for them to trade Skinner, who has had his own injury problems and makes a lot of money, and then use the #5 to replace Skinner for much cheaper.

Old
06-27-2013, 09:44 AM
EpicDing
The Fellowship

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post

Well, I've got some bad news for you then. Carolina isn't going to give us the #5 for Staal. Why would they do that? It makes much more sense for them to trade Skinner, who has had his own injury problems and makes a lot of money, and then use the #5 to replace Skinner for much cheaper.
They need a player like Staal. Physical top 4 dman on a nice contract, plus he's a Staal. That ups his value because of the marketing they can do. Trading Skinner and drafting to replace him would be a lateral move.

Old
06-27-2013, 09:45 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
Maybe. At least one, probably many more, of these guys are going to turn down larger contracts for smaller ones in places they really want to play. Some will definitely take another big payday, as well. We don't know which one of those Lecavalier is.
I just don't see him coming to the Rangers. Especially if we buyout his best friend.

Old
06-27-2013, 09:46 AM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
I just don't see him coming to the Rangers. Especially if we buyout his best friend.
I don't either. It was just a thought about the state of mind of these guys getting bought out.

I will say, though, that Stepan/Brassard/Lecavalier would be a hell of a center group.

Old
06-27-2013, 09:48 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
And I am 100% okay with that. But if Lecavalier removes a bidder from Weiss or Bozak, that should lower their price. I am hoping more players get bought out. Richards. Briere. I hope there is more. Saturate the market and then there will be good deals on guys like Clowe.

Old
06-27-2013, 09:54 AM
Championship*
#Joel&Ellie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post

Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger 25 Jun
Interested to see if Carolina trades the 5th pick. Need a top 4 D. Could be part of a package. Told Rutherford is getting lots of calls.

Darren DregerVerified account
‏@DarrenDreger
Further to the Carolina tweet. There are financial restrictions the Hurricanes face. Need a top 4 D, but can't pay Letang-like dollars.

Rutherford is a star****er, I'm sure he'd lust after Staal if he was missing an arm.

Old
06-27-2013, 09:56 AM
EpicDing
The Fellowship

Lmao. Canes fans on the main board saying Staal isn't worth the 5th overall. Also said that Staal's injury is still considered career threatening, despite the fact that Staal himself said it'll get back to at least 90 percent. Staal plays a fairly simple defensive game, it shouldn't affect him all that badly.

Old
06-27-2013, 09:56 AM
Cliffy1814

Question on VL4 Buyout.

Can a team like Tor, Mon, Pha, etc. who may have cap space claim him on waivers when he is bought out (thus assuming his contract), then buy him out next summer themselves?

For a team like Tor who has lots of $$$, this would be a way to secure VL4 with only a one year commitment.

If he hits the open market, he'll be looking to max out $$$ and years.

Old
06-27-2013, 10:02 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy1814 View Post
Question on VL4 Buyout.

Can a team like Tor, Mon, Pha, etc. who may have cap space claim him on waivers when he is bought out (thus assuming his contract), then buy him out next summer themselves?

For a team like Tor who has lots of $$$, this would be a way to secure VL4 with only a one year commitment.

If he hits the open market, he'll be looking to max out $$$ and years.
He refused to go on waivers, so it's a moot point.

Old
06-27-2013, 10:12 AM
pld459666

Would love Vinny here at 5mil per. Dont see it happening. He will be in Montreal.

Old
06-27-2013, 10:20 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicDing View Post
Lmao. Canes fans on the main board saying Staal isn't worth the 5th overall. Also said that Staal's injury is still considered career threatening, despite the fact that Staal himself said it'll get back to at least 90 percent. Staal plays a fairly simple defensive game, it shouldn't affect him all that badly.
People are convinced that the pick is a guaranteed home run. Even in "great" draft years we've seen teams screw up picks or mess up the development of a player who should have been a sure thing. Some Canes fans are convinced they'll land a future all-star on an ELC no matter what. Same could be said about our fans if we had the pick.

Old
06-27-2013, 10:24 AM
EpicDing
The Fellowship

Quote:
People are convinced that the pick is a guaranteed home run. Even in "great" draft years we've seen teams screw up picks or mess up the development of a player who should have been a sure thing. Some Canes fans are convinced they'll land a future all-star on an ELC no matter what. Same could be said about our fans if we had the pick.
I'm not saying we're getting an all star at 5 if we traded, but they should almost definitely be at the least a solid 2nd liner. If the team manages to screw up any of this top 5, I feel terrible for anyone we draft in the future.

Old
06-27-2013, 10:25 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
I'm not saying we're getting an all star at 5 if we traded, but they should almost definitely be at the least a solid 2nd liner. If the team manages to screw up any of this top 5, I feel terrible for anyone we draft in the future.
Teams screw up these picks all the time. Look at past drafts. 5 is no sure thing.

Old
06-27-2013, 10:28 AM
EpicDing
The Fellowship

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Viper View Post
Teams screw up these picks all the time. Look at past drafts. 5 is no sure thing.
This draft has the most solid top 5 or so in recent memory. Any of them could go in the first 3 picks and no one would really question it

Old
06-27-2013, 10:29 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
This draft has the most solid top 5 or so in recent memory. Any of them could go in the first 3 picks and no one would really question it
Right. Does that show that it is super deep, or is there no true top-end no-brainer talent? The media wants you to think the former.

Old
06-27-2013, 10:30 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
Would love Vinny here at 5mil per. Dont see it happening. He will be in Montreal.
So buyout Richards and virtually replace his cap hit with LeCavalier?

Sheesh.

Old
06-27-2013, 10:31 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
So buyout Richards and virtually replace his cap hit with LeCavalier?

Sheesh.
If Lecavalier came for 2-3 years I would take him. Granted, not at 5 million, but close. It's the length of this contract that he will get as a UFA that will be interesting.

Old
06-27-2013, 10:32 AM
EpicDing
The Fellowship

Quote:
Right. Does that show that it is super deep, or is there no true top-end no-brainer talent? The media wants you to think the former.
They are all true top-end no-brainer talent. Jones and MacKinnon are a little above Drouin, Barkov, and Nichuskin, but all of them can easily go top three.

Old
06-27-2013, 10:36 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
The think the real allure of the top end of this draft is that there are 7 or 8 players who could likely step into the NHL right away and make some sort of positive impact. I'm as guilty as anyone when it comes to getting excited about top picks and prospects, but I also realize that the reality is outside of those top two or three picks, there's rarely ever a "sure thing" available to you.

Old
06-27-2013, 10:39 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
They are all true top-end no-brainer talent. Jones and MacKinnon are a little above Drouin, Barkov, and Nichuskin, but all of them can easily go top three.
They are good prospects. But the odds are, a couple of them at least will underachieve at the next level.

Old
06-27-2013, 10:40 AM
EpicDing
The Fellowship

Quote:
The think the real allure of the top end of this draft is that there are 7 or 8 players who could likely step into the NHL right away and make some sort of positive impact. I'm as guilty as anyone when it comes to getting excited about top picks and prospects, but I also realize that the reality is outside of those top two or three picks, there's rarely ever a "sure thing" available to you.
That's the thing about this draft though. That usual top 2 or 3 is the top 5 or 6 this draft. There's essentially 5-6 top, almost sure talents this draft, as opposed to 2 or 3 in previous drafts.

Old
06-27-2013, 10:40 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
David Pagnotta ‏@TheFourthPeriod 10s
Sharks have re-signed defenseman Jason Demers to a 1-year deal
I'm really starting to wonder if the Rangers are REALLY trying to trade Richards and have some options right now.

Old
06-27-2013, 10:41 AM
Championship*
#Joel&Ellie

every trade is a gamble

Old
06-27-2013, 10:42 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
That's the thing about this draft though. That usual top 2 or 3 is the top 5 or 6 this draft. There's essentially 5-6 top, almost sure talents this draft, as opposed to 2 or 3 in previous drafts.
So Bogosian was a sure thing? Gudbranson? Johansen? Connolly? They are all good, young players. And they are all players I would welcome on the Rangers, however we are a few years out from their draft years and really none of them have grasped the responsibility Staal has to date. Are you willing to wait 4-5 years?

Old
06-27-2013, 10:43 AM
EpicDing
The Fellowship

Quote:
I'm really starting to wonder if the Rangers are REALLY trying to trade Richards and have some options right now.
I sincerely hope not. Buyout is the best route, unless the other team does it? And we buy out a more expensive player for them since Dolan can afford it?

Closed Thread