HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Flyers use a compliance buyout on Ilya Bryzgalov's contract (updates in post #1)

Closed Thread

Old
06-27-2013, 07:54 AM
FlyersFan61290

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unstable View Post
I don't agree with this. It's a business, and the agent has a job to do, and it's enough for the player to be the good cop, he doesn't have to stop his agent from being the bad cop.
Of course he doesn't have to but now he just looks like a b****. It reflects negatively on Bryz.

Old
06-27-2013, 09:56 AM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
Of course he doesn't have to but now he just looks like a b****. It reflects negatively on Bryz.
I know whats done is done and it seems unprofessional but some of what he's whining about might be at least partly correct. This team has a ridiculous track record with no success in goal and to have these goalies who played great hockey for other teams but not for us just proves what I see on the ice especially when I'm there watching the coverage behind the play. Mason did play out of his mind those six games last year but he was fighting for his life and the team did clamp down during a couple of those games. (the islanders game was a free for all) but how does he handle a game where the flood gates open on him? I really wish we just gave bryz a 4 or 5 year deal at 5 mil per which would have given him a raise and would be a manageable term and cap hit. as far as this team goes? i predict laviolette gets fired this upcoming season. Now that bryzgalov is gone the target is his head.

Old
06-27-2013, 10:05 AM
JVR21
G

Quote:
Originally Posted by funghoul View Post
I know whats done is done and it seems unprofessional but some of what he's whining about might be at least partly correct. This team has a ridiculous track record with no success in goal and to have these goalies who played great hockey for other teams but not for us just proves what I see on the ice especially when I'm there watching the coverage behind the play. Mason did play out of his mind those six games last year but he was fighting for his life and the team did clamp down during a couple of those games. (the islanders game was a free for all) but how does he handle a game where the flood gates open on him? I really wish we just gave bryz a 4 or 5 year deal at 5 mil per which would have given him a raise and would be a manageable term and cap hit. as far as this team goes? i predict laviolette gets fired this upcoming season. Now that bryzgalov is gone the target is his head.
And yet Leighton backstopped us to the finals. Beyond that, I've brought it up countless times, Bryz was brought in to be a wall back there. He knew that. He said he wanted to "carry the Flyers to the Cup." Any NHL goalie can do just fine behind phenomenal defense. A good goalie doesn't need that in order to be decent, at least. So many excuses for Bryz.

Old
06-27-2013, 10:08 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVR21 View Post
And yet Leighton backstopped us to the finals. Beyond that, I've brought it up countless times, Bryz was brought in to be a wall back there. He knew that. He said he wanted to "carry the Flyers to the Cup." Any NHL goalie can do just fine behind phenomenal defense. A good goalie doesn't need that in order to be decent, at least. So many excuses for Bryz.
Yep. Just ask Dubnyk about that...he managed to annihilate Bryzgalov's save percentage on a team that has barely heard of defense, much less plays it.

06-27-2013, 10:13 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Yep. Just ask Dubnyk about that...he managed to annihilate Bryzgalov's save percentage on a team that has barely heard of defense, much less plays it.
Varlamov too. although only slightly better save %. Avs defense might have been the the worst in the league as a group.

Old
06-27-2013, 10:14 AM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
Varlamov too. although only slightly better save %. Avs defense might have been the the worst in the league as a group.
You could add Ryan Miller to that list too playing on the team that averaged the most shots allowed this year in the NHL.

Old
06-27-2013, 10:30 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Holtby did better on Washington while that team was a complete mess, as I recall. Freaking Markstrom almost matched his save percentage in Florida.

Old
06-27-2013, 10:40 AM
LegionOfDoom91

Bryz was allergic to the big save. He basically needed the defense to do his job for him.

I don't see him getting a good enough offer for him to stay in the NHL. So I'm not worried one bit about him coming back to hurt us. Hell, I wish he signed with a team in our division. I would love to see our offense light him up.

Old
06-27-2013, 10:52 AM
usahockey22flyers
Classic Coburn...

Will miss his interviews, that about it.

Liked this comment "Don’t ever think that I didn’t appreciate the kind comments of support made in the media by teammates and management and in private by so many very nice people I met on the streets of Philadelphia and in the surrounding area."

Old
06-27-2013, 11:40 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
Bryz was allergic to the big save. He basically needed the defense to do his job for him.

I don't see him getting a good enough offer for him to stay in the NHL. So I'm not worried one bit about him coming back to hurt us. Hell, I wish he signed with a team in our division. I would love to see our offense light him up.
Yeah. It was really annoying to constantly see our forwards generate the same scoring chances Bryz was facing, only to have that goalie actually make the damned saves.

Another goalie: Bobrovsky. They play a more defensive system, yes, but they didn't have much great defensive talent. They spent extending amounts of time, sometimes practically whole periods, in their own end because they couldn't get the puck or because they couldn't get it clear. Bob was often tested hard with prime scoring opportunities...the difference is that he actually stood up and bailed out his team to keep them in the game. By comparison, if the puck got stuck in the Flyers zone for an extended period, there was only a small chance Bryz would weather the storm if the opposition started generating good scoring chances.

Old
06-27-2013, 11:45 AM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

Quote:
Yeah. It was really annoying to constantly see our forwards generate the same scoring chances Bryz was facing, only to have that goalie actually make the damned saves.

Another goalie: Bobrovsky. They play a more defensive system, yes, but they didn't have much great defensive talent. They spent extending amounts of time, sometimes practically whole periods, in their own end because they couldn't get the puck or because they couldn't get it clear. Bob was often tested hard with prime scoring opportunities...the difference is that he actually stood up and bailed out his team to keep them in the game. By comparison, if the puck got stuck in the Flyers zone for an extended period, there was only a small chance Bryz would weather the storm if the opposition started generating good scoring chances.
too bad we don't still have bobrovsky. but there's a reason we don't and we had him before bryzgalov.

Old
06-27-2013, 11:46 AM
nevermore
Cap space since 2005

Quote:
Ironically enough the biggest save I remember was in Game 2 of the Pittsburgh series, when Letang could've made it 3-0.

Old
06-27-2013, 11:47 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
too bad we don't still have bobrovsky. but there's a reason we don't and we had him before bryzgalov.
The reason is that the organization ****ed up, made a knee-jerk overreaction, and totally lacked the patience to develop the incredibly talented prospect they had.

We would still have Bob had Homer not made that disastrous Leighton signing in 2010. If he gets a real goalie Bob goes to the AHL to develop properly. We skip out on the whole 2010-11 goaltending debacle, and Snider doesn't lost his damned mind. By now Bob possibly could've been taking over.

Old
06-27-2013, 11:49 AM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:

As Mason showed during his short stint in end of the regular season we need to find a goalie whose good at playing the puck to take pressure off the defense.

Old
06-27-2013, 11:54 AM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevermore View Post
Ironically enough the biggest save I remember was in Game 2 of the Pittsburgh series, when Letang could've made it 3-0.
Wow one save! A blind squirrel can find a nut once in a while.

I wouldn't use anything from that series as proof considering he was downright awful and would have cost us the series if the guy at the other end didn't out-duel him in the suckage department.

Old
06-27-2013, 11:55 AM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

Quote:
The reason is that the organization ****ed up, made a knee-jerk overreaction, and totally lacked the patience to develop the incredibly talented prospect they had.

We would still have Bob had Homer not made that disastrous Leighton signing in 2010. If he gets a real goalie Bob goes to the AHL to develop properly. We skip out on the whole 2010-11 goaltending debacle, and Snider doesn't lost his damned mind. By now Bob possibly could've been taking over.
That's my point. the organization creates problems for themselves constantly. and patience in this case is another word for evaluation. they don't evaluate things very well. and I'm supposed to trust there is some plan in place. don't look like it to me. injuries are one thing but there's a lot of things we had total control over. but with this bryz situation. everyone seems happy so thats good. we'll see what happens soon enough.

Old
06-27-2013, 11:57 AM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

Quote:
Wow one save! A blind squirrel can find a nut once in a while.

I wouldn't use anything from that series as proof considering he was downright awful and would have cost us the series if the guy at the other end didn't out-duel him in the suckage department.
it really is a double coincidence that both of those goalies allowed so many goals in that series. must be.

Last edited by funghoul: 06-27-2013 at 12:03 PM.
Old
06-27-2013, 12:07 PM
Jtown

vCash: 539
Quote:

I watched Columbus games the last month of the year, and I must say This was exactly true. I remember one period they were outshot 3-15 and it was all EV. Bob was the only thing that kept them in the game. I will admit that the Defense did play well but their forwards were so inept that they always got pinned in their own zone. Getting gaborik was a huge help with this but before his presence it was real bad.

Old
06-27-2013, 12:08 PM
Curufinwe

Quote:
As Mason showed during his short stint in end of the regular season we need to find a goalie whose good at playing the puck to take pressure off the defense.
That made a huge difference. I'm so glad we won't have to watch Bryz out there behind the net fumbling for the puck anymore.

Old
06-27-2013, 12:12 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
it really is a double coincidence that both of those goalies allowed so many goals in that series. must be.
MAF sucks as does Bryz. No coincidence.

Most peoples, including myself, dislike Bryz because the team could find a Mason or whoever to be terribly inconsistent and put up a .900 sv% (like Bryz) for significantly less money.

Old
06-27-2013, 12:22 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
MAF sucks as does Bryz. No coincidence.
well everyones so confident that we'll be fine in goal moving forward. we'll see tho. I'm all about us winning and i don't care if the score is 10 to 9. we won that series. it was not tight checking, there was no forward defensive support. the coverage was horrible but we won. and bryzgalov made some key saves besides that letang thing. you just can't win a cup playing that style at this point. if it was a different era, early 90's fine. but with the way teams are built now? we're not even close. throw laviolette's philosophy on that? were doomed. there's no goalie on the planet to erase those deficiencies.

Old
06-27-2013, 12:24 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
well everyones so confident that we'll be fine in goal moving forward. we'll see tho. I'm all about us winning and i don't care if the score is 10 to 9. we won that series. it was not tight checking, there was no forward defensive support. the coverage was horrible but we won. and bryzgalov made some key saves besides that letang thing. you just can't win a cup playing that style at this point. if it was a different era, early 90's fine. but with the way teams are built now? we're not even close. throw laviolette's philosophy on that? were doomed. there's no goalie on the planet to erase those deficiencies.
Didn't Detroit recently win a Cup playing the left wing lock? It's not like Chicago, your 2010 and 2013 champs, play a conservative style either.

There is no "must-play-to-win" style. What matters most is building the strongest all-around team to give them the best overall chance at competing for the Cup.

Old
06-27-2013, 12:26 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

[QUOTE=FlyersFan61290;68081483]MAF sucks as does Bryz. No coincidence.

Most peoples, including myself, dislike Bryz because the team could find a Mason or whoever to be terribly inconsistent and put up a .900 sv% (like Bryz) for significantly less money.[/QUOTE]

i understand that his contract blew but they never should've gave him all that. we could've had him for way less term and a little less on the cap hit. but that's management's fault the same management continuing to build this team. but whatever. i've been watching these guys forever. they'll still get my money cause I'm a sucker.

Old
06-27-2013, 12:33 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
That made a huge difference. I'm so glad we won't have to watch Bryz out there behind the net fumbling for the puck anymore.
I thought it was telling that when we had Mason playing the puck Bryz decided to do the same a few games. Why couldnt he show that effort before? I know he is not adept at it but at times even inept goalies will play the puck when the odds are fairly safe. Bryz too me was too aloof at times in net and he made too many excuses like his agent is now doing.

Old
06-27-2013, 02:17 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
I thought it was telling that when we had Mason playing the puck Bryz decided to do the same a few games. Why couldnt he show that effort before? I know he is not adept at it but at times even inept goalies will play the puck when the odds are fairly safe. Bryz too me was too aloof at times in net and he made too many excuses like his agent is now doing.
that's probaby why his supporters always had excuses for his terrible play

Closed Thread