HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Draft thread part 3: who will it be?!

View Poll Results: Who do you predict the Preds WILL pick? (it's a will not a want poll)
MacKinnon at #4 (the put the mouse down and get help pick) 0 0%
Jones at #4 (the goin' for the shutout streak record pick) 5 6.02%
Drouin at #4 (the shake and bake pick) 26 31.33%
Barkov at #4 (the Maple my day pick) 39 46.99%
Nichushkin at #4 (the Pulp Fiction brain duty- 615's head exploded pick) 2 2.41%
Lindholm at #4 (the always trust a dog pick) 0 0%
Other at #4 (the WTFx10 pick) 0 0%
MacKinnon after trading up (the OMG pick) 0 0%
Jones after trading up (the classic Poile, no mayo pick) 0 0%
Drouin after trading up (the Poile's been abducted pick) 0 0%
Barkov after trading up (the Fenton is in charge pick) 3 3.61%
Other after trading up (the Mickey Mouse is in charge pick) 1 1.20%
Nichushkin after trading down (the Radulov's ghost pick) 1 1.20%
Lindholm after trading down (the classic Poile, extra cheese pick) 6 7.23%
One of the "top 4" after trading down (the "can I have one of those pills" pick) 0 0%
Other after trading down (the free chicken dinner if correct pick) 0 0%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
06-27-2013, 12:04 PM
RCola88

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
I'd be fine with at top offensive winger. Like it or not, Trotz likes the Fisher/Legwand style 2 way centers. That's also why Barkov would be perfect for us.
Hopefully Trotz's doesn't kill Barkov's offensive upside, like he did with Smith.

Old
06-27-2013, 12:36 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

The Smith talk brings up a rather unfounded fear ... that Trotz will suck the offense out of anyone and could turn a 19 yr old Gretzky into the offensive equivalent of Smithson. The reality is wings don't have a lot of defensive responsibility even in Trotz's system. Centers more-so ... but neither our forechecking nor defensive zone schemes deny a player the opportunity to score (see the offensive success of defense adverse vets like Arnott and Kariya while with the Preds). When a player isn't strong on the puck, doesn't get to open spots on the ice, or doesn't shoot accurately ... they don't score. There are reasons why scouts and GMs look for "hockey IQ", the elusiveness to use speed and skill to create space, or the build and strength to win puck battles and create opportunity in "greasy" areas. Outside of Smith's first six weeks in the NHL, he's shown deficiencies in all of the multiple ways to score ... including missing an empty net from in close.

How the kids fit into those very broad areas and apply their skillsets helps the scouts rank them. MacKinnon, Drouin, Barkov, and Nichuskin all show a ton of promise while getting the job done in different ways.

Old
06-27-2013, 12:38 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Barkov and Drouin both appear to be fairly strong on the puck. Nich does as well, though I doubt we hear his name called when we are on the clock.

Old
06-27-2013, 12:50 PM
iKiwi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
Barkov and Drouin both appear to be fairly strong on the puck. Nich does as well, though I doubt we hear his name called when we are on the clock.
True, I was surprise with Drouin.

Now with the Lecavalier buyont, I don't feel so confident about Barkov anymore...Atleast we get one of the top 4 though

Old
06-27-2013, 12:59 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

I'm not so sure the Lecavalier buyout is going to influence Tampa at the draft. They'll likely still draft whomever is highest on their board and still left at three. If it is Barkov I'd be willing to bet it was Barkov all along, regardless of Lecavalier.

Honestly, I think they bought him out to make moves after 5 July, not to make room for Barkov.

Old
06-27-2013, 01:03 PM
RCola88

Quote:
I'm not so sure the Lecavalier buyout is going to influence Tampa at the draft. They'll likely still draft whomever is highest on their board and still left at three. If it is Barkov I'd be willing to bet it was Barkov all along, regardless of Lecavalier.

Honestly, I think they bought him out to make moves after 5 July, not to make room for Barkov.
Agreed. No sense in suddenly changing your draft plan, either he was the top guy or not. Praying that he isn't though I really want Barkov in Predator gold next year.

Old
06-27-2013, 01:05 PM
RCola88

Don't crucify me if this has already been established, pretty new to the boards.

Do you guys think, if Drouin is a Predator, that he will be ready for the NHL? Likewise with Barkov or Jones.

Old
06-27-2013, 01:08 PM
Byrddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
If Mac, Drouin and Barkov are all gone,leaving us sitting at 4 with Jones and Edmonton calls to offer us Gagner, Hemsky and the 7th overall for the 4th, would you do it?

I mean it would mean adding, Gagner, Hemsky and Lindholm to the team, that would make us better for sure.
That's very tempting and really best case if the situation gets to that but the issue of cap rears its head.
Gagner QO is 3.2 not too bad but Hemsky is 4.1 in cap and 5.0 in real dollars. No doubt it would improve the team but Hemsky would not be part of the future one year and hes gone but adding Gagner could turn out to be the gem and if Lindholm develops into a 1c or 2c that would just be gravy.

Old
06-27-2013, 01:11 PM
oreilly22

Yep, unless we are able to move up, the Lecavalier buyout means the Preds say hello to Drouin most likely. Not the most ideal scenario, but I could see him in a Preds sweater. He honestly is the flashiest offensive guy in this draft. His shootout skills alone will steal points for us for sure. The Lightning might be factoring in NHL readiness, because Drouin is the least likely to be ready for the NHL next year. If he doesn't make the team out of camp, he will have to go back to the Halifax right? Personally, if my wild speculation is correct, I think Tampa is going to pass on an incredibly entertaining duo of Stamkos - Drouin.

Now this is how the draft looks leading up to us in my opinion:

1.) Avs - Mackinnon
2.) Panthers - Jones
3.) Lightning - Barkov
4.) Preds - Drouin

As for our center, we could still trade for Statsny or get one of these bought out centers.

Old
06-27-2013, 01:16 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCola88 View Post
Don't crucify me if this has already been established, pretty new to the boards.

Do you guys think, if Drouin is a Predator, that he will be ready for the NHL? Likewise with Barkov or Jones.
With the way he shot up the draft rankings over this past season I think there is a good chance he would make one of the top four teams (draft wise) out of camp. Whether or not he can make it a full season in the NHL is still to be determined, but with his skill and his ability to take a hit while maintaining possession I think he has a good shot. He doesn't have the size of the other three of the big four (or 4 of the big 5 if you include Nich), but he certainly has the skill.

Old
06-27-2013, 01:21 PM
RCola88

Quote:
Originally Posted by oreilly22 View Post
Yep, unless we are able to move up, the Lecavalier buyout means the Preds say hello to Drouin most likely. Not the most ideal scenario, but I could see him in a Preds sweater. He honestly is the flashiest offensive guy in this draft. His shootout skills alone will steal points for us for sure. The Lightning might be factoring in NHL readiness, because Drouin is the least likely to be ready for the NHL next year. If he doesn't make the team out of camp, he will have to go back to the Halifax right? Personally, if my wild speculation is correct, I think Tampa is going to pass on an incredibly entertaining duo of Stamkos - Drouin.

Now this is how the draft looks leading up to us in my opinion:

1.) Avs - Mackinnon
2.) Panthers - Jones
3.) Lightning - Barkov
4.) Preds - Drouin

As for our center, we could still trade for Statsny or get one of these bought out centers.
Stastny would be a dream come true, but for what? I dont know if we have anything enticing enough for the Avs

Old
06-27-2013, 01:23 PM
RCola88

Quote:
With the way he shot up the draft rankings over this past season I think there is a good chance he would make one of the top four teams (draft wise) out of camp. Whether or not he can make it a full season in the NHL is still to be determined, but with his skill and his ability to take a hit while maintaining possession I think he has a good shot. He doesn't have the size of the other three of the big four (or 4 of the big 5 if you include Nich), but he certainly has the skill.
The size is what im afraid of. We have no one to protect him so he can do his thing. Horton could help with that but don't see us getting him.

Let's just tell the Lighting and Panthers not to pick Barkov

Old
06-27-2013, 01:27 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Avs fans are wanting quite a hefty return on Statsny. I'm not sure what the organization would want, but if it is anywhere close to what fans are wanting it isn't worth it. Might as well just wait for his contract to expire.

As for bigger bodies to open up room for Drouin, Beck and Wilson aren't midgets. They could surely help him out. Fisher has some size, too, though I'm not sure how well he would work on a line with Drouin besides being there as muscle. If FF can put on another 15lbs he'll be just over 200lbs. It might take a little while for that, though. I wouldn't expect it next season by any means.

Old
06-27-2013, 01:39 PM
Iron Duke

Quote:
Stastny would be a dream come true, but for what? I dont know if we have anything enticing enough for the Avs
Really? I like Stastny, but he's a #2 at best, and definitely not worth the $6.6M cap hit he brings with him.

Old
06-27-2013, 01:40 PM
Byrddog

http://www.litterboxcats.com/2013/6/...hl-entry-draft

Florida is a wildcard now I do not see how the do not go for a forward they have there elite defenseman in Campbell but a case cabe made for Jones. But there offense is needing more talent than the defense. And if they do sign Louongo that will fix there goaltending and help cut the goals against. Logic would point to taking Barkov or Druion most likely Druion.

Tampa is showing its hand with Vinny being bought out there after a center now in 3 or moving down.

Colorado takes Mac

The good thing three days we will know. July the 5th may be the better day for us.

Old
06-27-2013, 01:44 PM
PFL615

No way Jones is there at #4. If he is a will **** my pants on the spot and take a pic.
If we move uo which is highly unlikely it's for Mac or Barkov.

Old
06-27-2013, 01:47 PM
Drake744
Unregistered User

Quote:

I think all 5 of the "big 5" have a shot at making their team this season. Mixed in with the fact that Nashville loves to send everyone to Milwaukee no matter what, and IMO Drouin may be the least likely to see NHL time this year, he would be the one of the possible picks with the highest probability of not being in Nashville this year. I think if we had Barkov, Jones, or Nich, we could very possibly see them here this season. But, Drouin too, who knows? We need offense so, yeah.

Old
06-27-2013, 01:50 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashville615 View Post
No way Jones is there at #4. If he is a will **** my pants on the spot and take a pic.
Please don't

Old
06-27-2013, 01:56 PM
Drake744
Unregistered User

Quote:
\
So, wait, if Jones is available at 4, we will pick him because he's at the top of our board, but if we trade up it would be for Mac or Barkov and not Jones?

Old
06-27-2013, 02:05 PM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrddog View Post
http://www.litterboxcats.com/2013/6/...hl-entry-draft

Florida is a wildcard now I do not see how the do not go for a forward they have there elite defenseman in Campbell but a case cabe made for Jones. But there offense is needing more talent than the defense. And if they do sign Louongo that will fix there goaltending and help cut the goals against. Logic would point to taking Barkov or Druion most likely Druion.

Tampa is showing its hand with Vinny being bought out there after a center now in 3 or moving down.

Colorado takes Mac

The good thing three days we will know. July the 5th may be the better day for us.
Campbell is not an elite defenseman. He's very good but if you had the choice between Campbell, Weber, Suter and Chara, Campbell is number 4 every time.

Old
06-27-2013, 02:23 PM
Persona5

Quote:

If I were to put a number on each player at to their chances at playing next season with the team that drafts them I would list them like this.

Mack - 100%
Jones - 75%
Drouin - 75%
Barkov - 75%

Alot depends on who drafts them as well but they all have a better than 50/50 shot at playing right away.

Old
06-27-2013, 02:32 PM
RCola88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persona5 View Post
If I were to put a number on each player at to their chances at playing next season with the team that drafts them I would list them like this.

Mack - 100%
Jones - 75%
Drouin - 75%
Barkov - 75%

Alot depends on who drafts them as well but they all have a better than 50/50 shot at playing right away.
I would personally say its:

Mack - 95%
Barkov - 95%
Jones - 80%
Drouin - 75%

Barkov and Mack are the two heading the draft at this point IMO. Jones is a very close third, but just because he plays defence.

Old
06-27-2013, 02:32 PM
PFL615

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake744 View Post
\
So, wait, if Jones is available at 4, we will pick him because he's at the top of our board, but if we trade up it would be for Mac or Barkov and not Jones?
Yes because if Jones is there at 4 it's because Barkov and Mac are gone.
We already have 3 very good dmen. No reason to trade up for another. We do however have a desperate need for a possible franchise center. You trade up to get one.

Old
06-27-2013, 02:42 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
Campbell is not an elite defenseman. He's very good but if you had the choice between Campbell, Weber, Suter and Chara, Campbell is number 4 every time.
Also, Karlsson and Keith are ahead of him. Arguably Subban and Seabrook as well.

Old
06-27-2013, 02:46 PM
AintLifeGrand

Quote:

Better get yourself and this board mentally prepared for that... Jones is basically ours

Closed Thread