HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Entertainment
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Entertainment Discuss movies, tv shows, music, arts, literature, fashion, and upcoming events, concerts, etc.

John Lennon...Montreal Canadiens draft pick

Old
06-25-2013, 11:43 PM
blamebettman*

vCash: 500
John Lennon...Montreal Canadiens draft pick

interesting find! Anybody know the story behind this pic?

blamebettman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 12:13 AM
tjcurrie

He was high

tjcurrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 12:17 AM
Uncle Rotter

Looks to be around the time of the Bed-In in Montreal

Uncle Rotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 03:52 AM
brianscot

Who knew he was a Bernie Geoffrion fan?

brianscot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 06:09 AM
eastcoaster

It was Gilles Tremblay's sweater. He wore number 5 in 1969. I googled John Lennon and Gilles Tremblay and came up with this.

http://www.canada.com/story_print.ht...f0cf5&sponsor=

eastcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 06:34 AM
Crease

Nice find, eastcoaster.

Quote:
John Lennon wore his jersey to a news conference at the Queen Elizabeth Hotel in 1969, when he and Yoko Ono held their bed-in

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 05:45 PM
Big Phil

The first thing I thought about was the "bed in". It makes sense Lennon would have a Habs jersey. But honestly............we couldn't crop Yoko out of that picture? Argh!

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 11:38 AM
Peter9

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoaster View Post
It was Gilles Tremblay's sweater. He wore number 5 in 1969. I googled John Lennon and Gilles Tremblay and came up with this.

http://www.canada.com/story_print.ht...f0cf5&sponsor=
Gilles was extremely talented, a very solid star, although he never reached superstar status. It's a shame his breathing difficulties prevented him from realizing his full potential and eventually forced his early retirement.

When the Los Angeles Kings played at the Inglewood Forum, the television and radio commentators were located in a section plunked right in the middle of the spectator sections at center ice. They were entirely unprotected so that any fan could approach them, although I don't know whether there ever were any untoward incidents.

I usually sat right by the media section when I went to see the Canadiens play the Kings in Inglewood in the 1970s and 1980s and could hear Gilles Tremblay's on-the-air commentary. He was never as excited, as rapid-fire in his delivery, as when the Canadiens were losing. I thought he was going to explode on a couple of occasions. Fortunately for Gilles, Montreal seldom lost to Los Angeles in those days.

Peter9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 11:40 AM
Cape Bretoner
Sydneyite

Imagine there's no Bruins.

Cape Bretoner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2014, 01:49 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Sorry to bump an old thread but we were contacted today by someone who has the answer to OP's question:

Quote:
I tried to register to the HF forum.... kept asking me to assemble the picture even after i assembled the image
All I wanted to do is solve your Lennon Habs jersey mystery.

http://dennis-kane.com/tag/john-lennon/

1. picture was taken in Dec 1969 months after the bed-in in June.
2. The number on the jersey is actually 15.. Bobby Rousseau.
How do I know?.. I bought that game worn jersey at McNiece’s Sports for $15.00 (that’s what they sold for – new jerseys were $22.)…and presented to John as well as the toques that they are both wearing.
John and Yoko had just spent a week in Toronto…and I figured that it would really **** off Leaf fans if he showed up with a Habs jersey.. The photo made the front page of the Sports section in The Gazette or Mtl. Star the following day.
Mission accomplished… I wonder where that jersey is now?”

Ede, ottawa

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2014, 02:30 PM
jkrx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
The first thing I thought about was the "bed in". It makes sense Lennon would have a Habs jersey. But honestly............we couldn't crop Yoko out of that picture? Argh!
I still remember when John Lennon and Chuck Berry performed on stage and that dreadful woman followed them up there and made strange screaming cat like sounds...

jkrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2014, 03:06 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrx View Post
I still remember when John Lennon and Chuck Berry performed on stage and that dreadful woman followed them up there and made strange screaming cat like sounds...
Ya, and not good. Chuck Berry notorious for demanding things be "just so" and volatile... demanded he be paid in cash before every performance, putting the money in his guitar case. Funny story about how one night in New York he was playing with Ron Wood of the Stones, Keith Richards in the audience but off-stage. On his way out, Chuck grabs his guitar case & heads for the door with Richards in hot pursuit wanting to meet one of his Hero's. Taps him on the shoulder, Berry turns around, takes one brief look at the Scarecrow figuring he's a junky thief & decks him. BAM! Straight shot to the head, out cold, black~eye. Goodnight Lucille. So how he made it through a set of Yoko's Primal Screams, no idea.

Killion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2014, 03:25 PM
vadim sharifijanov
ugh

oh come now, baby boomers. i dare you to tell me that side B of this album isn't a million times better than side A.

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2014, 04:42 PM
Big Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrx View Post
I remember a couple of years ago, Paul McCartney was doing that duet with Ringo at the Grammys (?) or something like that. Well, the last song was "Hey Jude". In the audience you see Yoko (the only 80 year old woman still trapped in a 20 year old's mindset) and her and John's son Sean. But not John and Cynthia's son Julian who John practically disowned when he met Yoko. Julian has talked in great lengths about how his dad sang about love all the time but never showed him an ounce of it. Alright, so we all know the reason behind "Hey Jude" though right? It was written by Paul. "Jude" is actually disguised for Julian since they often called him "Jules". Paul wrote 5 year old Julian this song to give him solace through his parents' divorce after John met Yoko. So basically that is the story behind the song.

Anyway, the song is being played and Yoko is swaying back and forth as if she's in a trance. By the way, beautiful song, probably the best song written in the last 50 years. But it really angered me that the woman who CAUSED this song getting written in the first place was enjoying it so much, as if had she not been a home wrecker none of it would have happened.

Okay, end rant about Yoko.

Old
10-27-2014, 06:10 PM
vadim sharifijanov
ugh

^ whoa, you're saying it's primarily yoko's fault he was a deadbeat dad? that seems to me to be lacking in key bits of perspective...

Old
10-27-2014, 06:18 PM
Big Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadim sharifijanov View Post
^ whoa, you're saying it's primarily yoko's fault he was a deadbeat dad? that seems to me to be lacking in key bits of perspective...
No, John was a horrible father. This has been documented rather well. No question, John was at fault. But Yoko was too. She stepped into a family, and did she ever seem to care that Julian was never treated well? Julian himself doesn't think so. Of course, this is a story for another day, on another thread, not in a hockey forum

Old
10-27-2014, 08:39 PM
vadim sharifijanov
ugh

Quote:
No, John was a horrible father. This has been documented rather well. No question, John was at fault. But Yoko was too. She stepped into a family, and did she ever seem to care that Julian was never treated well? Julian himself doesn't think so. Of course, this is a story for another day, on another thread, not in a hockey forum
yes, for another forum on another day. my last word on this will be that i've read she did go out of her way for julian and that most of what we think we know about his childhood comes from julian's own interviews and book and his understandable lingering bitterness about his absentee dad's new family and jealousy towards sean, blaming of yoko, etc. but anyway, none of this is here nor there.

another photo:

Old
10-28-2014, 04:02 AM
VMBM
Uncool & heavy

Quote:
Well, he was a 'househusband' for many years after Sean was born (1975), while Yoko dealt with their business affairs. So, I don't think he was a horrible father to Sean, although Sean reportedly also had to deal with Lennon's 'tantrums' (once even managed to damage Sean's hearing by yelling at him too loudly).
And to be fair, he had Julian just as the Beatles were truly breaking through world-wide and started touring extensively; not easy to be a good and devoted husband/father in that situation (remember the famous and often repeated Beatles tours-Satyricon comparison?). But how about after those crazy years? It is especially ironic, since Lennon himself was a bitter child of divorced parents; you'd think he would've made more of an effort than he apparently did, eh?

Okay, that's enough of that. Cool pics.

VMBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2014, 04:20 AM
ninjagaiden

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasachtach View Post
it's easy if you try

imagine all the people, singing ole ole

ninjagaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2014, 08:38 PM
UnrefinedCrude

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by VMBM View Post
Well, he was a 'househusband' for many years after Sean was born (1975), while Yoko dealt with their business affairs. So, I don't think he was a horrible father to Sean, although Sean reportedly also had to deal with Lennon's 'tantrums' (once even managed to damage Sean's hearing by yelling at him too loudly).
And to be fair, he had Julian just as the Beatles were truly breaking through world-wide and started touring extensively; not easy to be a good and devoted husband/father in that situation (remember the famous and often repeated Beatles tours-Satyricon comparison?). But how about after those crazy years? It is especially ironic, since Lennon himself was a bitter child of divorced parents; you'd think he would've made more of an effort than he apparently did, eh?

Okay, that's enough of that. Cool pics.
He was a great musician/artist, but he was a drug addled person, no surprise he was a terrible father, really.

UnrefinedCrude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2014, 11:14 PM
El Nino 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasachtach View Post
It's easy if you try.

Edit: dang, someone already did it.

El Nino 22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2014, 11:37 PM
The Panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnrefinedCrude View Post
He was a great musician/artist, but he was a drug addled person, no surprise he was a terrible father, really.
Nothing to do with hockey, but I hate it when people make uninformed statements like this to condemn someone.

Lennon's period of largest drug-intake was undoubtedly circa 1966 through 1970. Julian was born in 1963, and John was on the road for two years with The Beatles, so whether he was straight or not, he wasn't going to be much of a father. The pattern of his absence was well-established before drugs took over his life to any large degree.

Likewise, he and Yoko were on methadone to kick heroin in 1970, and by the time Sean came around (1975), Lennon was more-or-less clean. In fact, he was very thin at the of his last album and death because he was living on a entirely macrobiotic diet. He was a doting father to Sean.

Thesis being: please don't rush to throw mud at someone based on hearsay and limited information. Do we really know how good of a father any celebrity that we never met was?

The Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2014, 11:58 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Panther View Post
Thesis being: please don't rush to throw mud at someone based on hearsay and limited information. Do we really know how good of a father any celebrity that we never met was?
Thank you.

Trottier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2014, 08:49 AM
Sentinel

Touring musicians rarely make model parents. Especially demigods like Lennon.

I personally prefer mid-era Beatles, Help to Revolver. After that the drugs took toll. I do admit I am woefully ignorant of Lennon's post-Beatles career.

Sentinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2014, 05:22 PM
vadim sharifijanov
ugh

oh man but all things must pass. wonderwall music is a pretty beautiful thing when i'm in the right mood too.