HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Can someone tell me what RIVET is doing on the PP?

Old
10-19-2006, 12:09 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post
I wouldn't go as far as saying he was our 2nd best defender. He was consistent in the defensive zone, but he's (imo) our worst defenceman at making first passes, doesn't have a good shot, doesn't have any offensive intuition and is only "solid" defensively... You'd figure someone who really has nothing else to offer would be more than what he is defensively. To me he's got worth with the team, but not more than any other guy in our top 7 (Bouillon included).
Let's go down the list.
Komisarek? Had a brutal first half.
Dandenault: see above
Souray: pretty good, but I think Rivet was better.
Bouillon: ... no
Streit: no.
Cote: nope.

I think those are probably all of the players, outside of Markov and Rivet, that played defense for us last year.

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2006, 12:13 AM
Mr. Hab

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
I thought picking up Niinimaa was gonna solve the hole problem.I really don't understand why Rivet is there
Exactly! I don't either...

Niinimaa should be out there (to use his big shot).

Rivet is good on 5 on 5, PK...protecting goalie, being physical, playing solid D (when he does!), but... REMOVE RIVET from PP!!! (play him on PP only if one of Souray, Markov, Niinimaa is injured...).

Last edited by Mr. Hab: 10-19-2006 at 12:28 AM.
Mr. Hab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2006, 12:14 AM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
Let's go down the list.
Komisarek? Had a brutal first half.
Dandenault: see above
Souray: pretty good, but I think Rivet was better.
Bouillon: ... no
Streit: no.
Cote: nope.

I think those are probably all of the players, outside of Markov and Rivet, that played defense for us last year.
Bouillon and Dandy have speed, decent first passes and decent shots. Rivet doesn't. Komisarek is our best Dman in the Dzone so far this year. Souray so far has been better (more valuable) than Rivet. Streit is our 8th right now...Niinimaa also so far has looked better than Rivet and is more valuable seeing as he has offensive skill, a good first pass and better overall speed than River. Imo, Rivet will be re-signed because of what he's done for the club not because we need him.

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2006, 12:30 AM
Kirk Muller

Anyone wanna guess who had the 5th ranked PP last year, and who is coincidentally 5th to start the season.

Kirk Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2006, 12:32 AM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash13 View Post
Anyone wanna guess who had the 5th ranked PP last year, and who is coincidentally 5th to start the season.
Certainly not cuz of the 2nd wave, which has done next to nothing this year. Last year we also had Ribs on the 2nd wave...

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2006, 12:38 AM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post
Certainly not cuz of the 2nd wave, which has done next to nothing this year. Last year we also had Ribs on the 2nd wave...
Then who F cares. The second unit often plays like 30 seconds of the PP if it gets that far. Montreals PP is better then most of the league, and you guys are *****ing about the second unit. How freaking stupid. Shouldn't you guys be happy that the first unit is doing better than most of the league

Old
10-19-2006, 01:45 AM
Marksman

Didnt see anyone else saying it, but I think the single biggest reason Rivet is used on PP is his right handed shot. We already have one very predictable PP unit where Markov passes and Souray shoots, because it doesnt work very well the other way. Our other options are Dandenault, who is out and has no shot, and for some reason they are afraid to try Komisarek there.

Marksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2006, 02:53 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clumsyhab View Post
Really, he makes as many mistakes as Souray, but has the worst shot of all our D. Please Carbo, put anyone else on the point but Rivet.
he's got a nice shot. He recorded over 30 points last season believe it or not. And he was used sapringly as a 2nd pairing PP guy. And thats exactly whats happening this season.

I disagree with you on his shot. I think his shot is the only reason why he is used as a spare PP option. I can see someone making a thread to bump him from the PP but not for the reason you gave.

From what I've seen of Niinimaa, he loves to shoot those high wristers which are impossible to deflect. Its easy for the goalie because players dont want to screen the goalie unless you keep your shots low. Bouillon also uses a wrister... at least he keeps them low but his shot is also ineffective. We just dont have a whole lot of other options.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2006, 02:55 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hab View Post
Exactly! I don't either...

Niinimaa should be out there (to use his big shot).

Rivet is good on 5 on 5, PK...protecting goalie, being physical, playing solid D (when he does!), but... REMOVE RIVET from PP!!! (play him on PP only if one of Souray, Markov, Niinimaa is injured...).

I have yet to see this big Niinimaa shot

Old
10-19-2006, 08:47 AM
Tuggy

vCash: 50
I thought last year that Rivet was great on the PP but that's certainly not the case this year. I'm not sure what happened but he looks very bad out there. I always wanted to see Komisarek tried on the PP...maybe we will see that happen.

Tuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2006, 01:55 PM
TroyM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
I have yet to see this big Niinimaa shot
From what I've seen Niinimaa never goes for a big slapper, always a wrister BUT he has a very good one. It's very fast and gets up high quick, I think that qualifies as a pretty darn good shot, but not a huge blast from the point or anything. Almost like Bouillons standard wrister from the point, but I think Niinimaa's has more velocity and is definitely more dangerous.

TroyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2006, 03:12 PM
tritone

Rivet - 2005-2006 7G 27A 34PTS
Markov - 2005-2006 10G 36A 46PTS
Dandenault - 2005-2006 5G 15A 20PTS

Dandy, 20 points, Rivet 34 ....what's Rivet doing on the 2nd PP? More than your suggested alternative it seems.

tritone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2006, 03:19 PM
phil666

id rather see traverse at the point rather then rivet.

phil666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2006, 03:30 PM
calebj3000

You guys seem to be forgetting that rivet took a shot right in the hand in the first game AND he took a shot in the ankle against ottawa. Knowing that Dandenault, bouillon and cote are hurt, rivet is toughing it out and playing. He is a GREAT leader and the assistant captain of our team. saying that he shouldnt even be in the NHL is just plain dumb.

calebj3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2006, 03:42 PM
LePoche69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clumsyhab View Post
Really, he makes as many mistakes as Souray, but has the worst shot of all our D. Please Carbo, put anyone else on the point but Rivet.
I'm asking myself the same question.

I'm honnestly always giving the benefice of the doubt to the coaches for their decisions since they're in the NHL while I'm writing on HF board! And more often than not (a lot!), time shows that the decisions they made with which I wasn't agreeing turned out to be better than the ones I would have done.

I can summarize my hockey knowledge like this : a 37 years old fan who watch everygame, who read the better report in papers, who listen to the better report on tv, who read the better reports here, who have played hockey for awhile. And well, from the height of that modest knowledge, I absolutly don't understand what Rivet is doing on the PP. I can't see why. Maybe I miss something, I surely miss something since every coach has been doing this at a moment, but man, I don't understand. Please someone enlight me, sincerely.

LePoche69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2006, 03:55 PM
phil666

Quote:
Originally Posted by calebj3000 View Post
You guys seem to be forgetting that rivet took a shot right in the hand in the first game AND he took a shot in the ankle against ottawa. Knowing that Dandenault, bouillon and cote are hurt, rivet is toughing it out and playing. He is a GREAT leader and the assistant captain of our team. saying that he shouldnt even be in the NHL is just plain dumb.
he's a warrior and i want to keep him, but just take him off the powerplay, seriously.

phil666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2006, 03:56 PM
Pascal

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHabsGO252006 View Post
Can someone explain to me why Rivet is in the NHL?

This guy has shown no signs of any reliability since the beginning of the season. What were once hallmarks of his play, like sacrificing his body and being willing to take a hit to make a pass have disapeared. I've never seen a Dman decide to hold the puck at his feet and absorb the hit instead of making a pass and taking the hit so many times. He looks indecisive and slow. The communication problems between him a Sourray make me gag.

I've always liked him and hope he turns it around but at this point he's been nothing short of terrible.
I've never liked him. For years he did so many boneheaded mistakes in his zone, and ever since I can't stand him. I heard he played good last yr, but so far it seems like the good ol Rivet to me.

let's not forget how much money he makes. we could get a lot better elsewhere.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2006, 08:50 PM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
I've never liked him. For years he did so many boneheaded mistakes in his zone, and ever since I can't stand him. I heard he played good last yr, but so far it seems like the good ol Rivet to me.

let's not forget how much money he makes. we could get a lot better elsewhere.

Typical "grass is greener on the other side" fan

Old
10-19-2006, 09:35 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyM View Post
From what I've seen Niinimaa never goes for a big slapper, always a wrister BUT he has a very good one. It's very fast and gets up high quick, I think that qualifies as a pretty darn good shot, but not a huge blast from the point or anything. Almost like Bouillons standard wrister from the point, but I think Niinimaa's has more velocity and is definitely more dangerous.
This is where we disagree... i dont like the fact that his shots are high. If you are going to wrist it on net and you want players willing to screen the goalie... you must keep it low. High point shots annoy me.