HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Valeri "labeled" A MUST READ

Old
06-27-2013, 06:54 AM
Predsrule

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by iKiwi View Post
Oh wait, I heard they played in this memorial cup thing??
I know this but bc of this they get a free pass and bc they speak English there interviews were fine.. Yet when a Russian does it then it opens up a door full of troubles? I'm just trying to make the point that the combine thing isn't a big deal

Predsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 07:02 AM
Nothing Is New

The Edmonton article is a little worrisome. What we don't know is whether its just a cultural thing and it comes out wrong or he really is a loose cannon. As for the Oil, he was featured on Carolina's board a while back and I doubt he gets past 5.
FWIW, Jones is featured and discussed a lot on Dallas' site. He lives in N Tex and his father worked there (Tx). Would not surprise me if Dallas tried to move up. My guess is it would take Errikson for Poile to swap picks (we would sweeten a little).

Nothing Is New is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 07:08 AM
iKiwi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predsrule View Post
I know this but bc of this they get a free pass and bc they speak English there interviews were fine.. Yet when a Russian does it then it opens up a door full of troubles? I'm just trying to make the point that the combine thing isn't a big deal
You're right, but I still think it would be wise to stay away from a player that MIGHT have potential character issues. I'm not saying we won't have any with the other top 4 but lets be realistic here, chances of getting some with Nich is greater then the others base on what was said. With what the preds went through these past few years, I don't feel like going through hockey drama for a little while.

I heard that Barkov sucks in english too, but the avs loved him so much they had multiple interviews with him. Besides, I'm confident we are ending up with Barkov or Drouin, I am way more concerned on Nich's character issues then Drouin's size.

iKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 07:11 AM
MonkeyBusiness

The first comment made me laugh "I watched 70 seconds of the video, sorry I don't see the same upside as you guys do" Seriously? If it were only that easy to scout a player.

MonkeyBusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 09:14 AM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

I remember reading a comment on one of the sites hosting an article about Nich's interviews with the media. The poster claimed to speak Russian, and said that the translator was translating the questions incorrectly, and his replies incorrectly. Now, I don't speak Russian. I have no idea if that is true or not. It would be interesting if it were, though.

ThirdManIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 09:25 AM
RaiderDoug

There's a reason the latest mocks have him going between 5 and 9 or so.

And it's not because GM's have a problem with guys who don't speak English very well.

It's a risky pick, GM's know this, scouts know this and the lower draft position is all you need to know about him. Everyone looks great on youtube.

If we want VN, drop down a slot or two. Don't pass up a higher rated player for a risk like that.

RaiderDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 09:33 AM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

All picks are risky. Nich may be riskier, he may not be. It's the gamble of the draft.

Old
06-27-2013, 10:04 AM
Persona5

vCash: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
All picks are risky. Nich may be riskier, he may not be. It's the gamble of the draft.
The gamble is more than just on his talent though. The real gamble is that he is planning to use the NHL as leverage to get more money in the KHL. A player drafted in the top 5 of the NHL draft is sure to demand more money than a plyers that falls out of the top 10. That is the real gamble you take when you pick this kid.

Persona5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 11:20 AM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Is that a fact, or is that something you worry about? Because you presented it as a fact, while it certainly is not. It could be true. I'd be interested in looking at the evidence that points to it being true, though, without hearsay or using what other players have done in the past.

Old
06-27-2013, 11:44 AM
Persona5

Quote:
Is that a fact, or is that something you worry about? Because you presented it as a fact, while it certainly is not. It could be true. I'd be interested in looking at the evidence that points to it being true, though, without hearsay or using what other players have done in the past.
I just stated it as a Gamble. There is no way of knowing what his true motives are but I would say he is at a higher risk of doing something like this than the other top picks in this draft.

Old
06-27-2013, 11:54 AM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

The article out of Edmonton also ponders that Nichuskin could be the most talented player in this year's class. The evaluation of scouts who watched him actually play, not just highlight reels, and those staff members who actually interviewed him will dictate his placement on each team's draft board. The same goes for every other kid projected in the early rounds. There is a reason why ISS still has him as #4 and he's #2 on central scouting's list of international skaters ... he demonstrated the on ice skills. It's just a question of how his personality fits with each prospective club.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 11:57 AM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persona5 View Post
I just stated it as a Gamble. There is no way of knowing what his true motives are but I would say he is at a higher risk of doing something like this than the other top picks in this draft.
Agreed. Of course, the question then becomes, what is the difference in Nich possibly using a few years in the NHL as leverage for money from the K, and a player like Jones being unhappy with being slotted on the second pairing after a few years and signing an offer sheet? I'm not saying that is good enough reason to pick Nich over Jones. I'm just saying there is inherent risk, even flight risk, with any player.

Old
06-27-2013, 12:37 PM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

Is it Sunday yet? Let's just see what happens first.

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 12:48 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypredsfan View Post
Is it Sunday yet? Let's just see what happens first.
Well, that would make for a boring message board.

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 01:18 PM
Persona5

Quote:
Agreed. Of course, the question then becomes, what is the difference in Nich possibly using a few years in the NHL as leverage for money from the K, and a player like Jones being unhappy with being slotted on the second pairing after a few years and signing an offer sheet? I'm not saying that is good enough reason to pick Nich over Jones. I'm just saying there is inherent risk, even flight risk, with any player.
Very true! I'm still just praying we land Barkov at this point. He is the only player that sounded like he would be happy in Nashville. Basically saying it would be easier to get used to the NA ways because Rinne is on the team.

Old
06-27-2013, 01:22 PM
PFL615

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
You're still just trying to articulate your opinion and make yourself seem more right by posting an article that says the same stuff that's been argued before. I'm just saying I don't see why it couldn't have just been posted in the draft thread, other than you trying really hard to seem right because it bothers you so much that people like a player that you don't.
It's not the same stuff. I saw plenty of very vague quotes from scouts. This article was pretty direct.

Also, we don't know what tests mean. I would educationally say it was some type of test written or verbal that he gave up on. He never did anything physically according to reports and his own admission that he has nothing to prove.
If someone does not do what you ask in an interview and quits what do you call it?

Last edited by ThirdManIn: 06-27-2013 at 01:24 PM. Reason: it can stand alone
PFL615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 01:27 PM
Cashville
RIP Lindback

vCash: 1225
My opinion has nothing to do with the "lazy Russian" BS whatsoever; forget about his nationality, his comments are just worrisome in general. I think it's too big of a risk given our other options. Even if it's Jones vs. Nich available at #4, I would go with Jones and be fine with it. If we were #5, then I'd say you need to think long and hard about it and you probably end up with Nich.

Cashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 01:34 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashville View Post
My opinion has nothing to do with the "lazy Russian" BS whatsoever; forget about his nationality, his comments are just worrisome in general. I think it's too big of a risk given our other options. Even if it's Jones vs. Nich available at #4, I would go with Jones and be fine with it. If we were #5, then I'd say you need to think long and hard about it and you probably end up with Nich.
Personally, this is where I'm at too. Take the remaining one out of the four and move on from there.

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 02:09 PM
braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashville615 View Post
It's not the same stuff. I saw plenty of very vague quotes from scouts. This article was pretty direct.

Also, we don't know what tests mean. I would educationally say it was some type of test written or verbal that he gave up on. He never did anything physically according to reports and his own admission that he has nothing to prove.
If someone does not do what you ask in an interview and quits what do you call it?
Poile, to me, has clearly nixed the possibility of picking Nichushkin at #4 and pretty much nixed the idea of trading down. Nichsukin's fate will be a mildly interesting development at the draft to see where he goes but only relevant to us if the Bolts pick him at #3, which seems hardly likely.

The same discussion is flaring up on other boards with teams drafting behind us.

I gleaned the following from the Oil board yesterday for what its worth. He did do the physical tests... there is video. He generally sucked at them.

I don't think they give written/verbal tests like the nfl... maybe some teams do?

There are conflicting reports on the quitting- "Button" (Craig or his brother, not sure) apparently saw in person him do the VO2 test and said he did not quit. On that board they seem to think he did all of the tests but not well.

Then a discussion on what it means to "quit" the VO2 test because apparently everyone quits it (its a max endurance test on a bike with a vacuum cleaner hose duct taped inside your mouth... essentially).

On interviews, they had some word that he had used the F-bomb repeatedly, despite knowing almost no English. That would be pretty funny (I have a similar story from a trip...funny but not fit for public consumption). Also very likely a turnoff for some teams (maybe including the Preds?).

There was a discussion of whether "humbleness" was a north american trait and therefore "arrogance" was a biased perspective... I gave up at that point.

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 02:36 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Hornqvist dropped an S-bomb on live TV a couple of years ago. Better send him packing

Kidding, obviously.

Old
06-27-2013, 09:30 PM
tserberis*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashville615 View Post
Yeah sureeee.....he was just mentioned a couple times. What i saw was people clamoring for him because suddenly certain players may not be available at #4. I even remember people saying they would pick Valeri over Jones if it came to head at the forth pick.
The Russian thing was blown way out of proportion and i won't get into why.

The post about how good NFL players do at the combine and so on. Look Valerie never did anything physical we know that from earlier reports. "His interviews weren't the best"
That is a little short changing. Teams were not impressed amd he quit several evaluations?? Are you serious!
Especially after he is quoted that he did not care about the tests and just really wanted to talk to teams. So you got your chance at the only thing you think you are worthy of doing and you walk out on some of them and leave an impression with most that you are an a.s.s.???? Quote: I don't prepare or workout because i do not want to be exuasted during the season.. What????
This is coming from the head scout of ISS not some on the forecheck blogger.
Downplay it all you want the guy has no business in Nashville at the #4 pick.
That's why Suter, Erat and others valuable guys wanted out: because talent has no place in Preds!!!

tserberis* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 09:46 PM
tserberis*

Yes he is arrogant Russian, as most of us for you. Because we not trained to do right things and say right things. We are ourselves, not some fake face with the smile.

The guy knows what he wants! That is the best that any person can do!

By the way Barkov is part Russian too and drops F word as much as Nich. So good luck with that.

BTW who had a problem with F word? Is it a kindergarten or something? It is a big boys playing painful sport. Nothing new.

tserberis* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 10:22 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

I know I wouldn't do the VO2 test, if I was a player, that thing is damn insane.

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 06:57 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tserberis View Post
Yes he is arrogant Russian, as most of us for you. Because we not trained to do right things and say right things. We are ourselves, not some fake face with the smile.

The guy knows what he wants! That is the best that any person can do!

By the way Barkov is part Russian too and drops F word as much as Nich. So good luck with that.

BTW who had a problem with F word? Is it a kindergarten or something? It is a big boys playing painful sport. Nothing new.
Don't think for one minute these kids are representative of Nashville fans with their extreme views of Russian players.

Every family has one, we seem to have 2......

triggrman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 11:23 AM
CantbeatzPekka
Weber/Jones/Josi

what time is the draft start tmrw? I work at 5 mtn time so I better get to catch our pick...

CantbeatzPekka is offline   Reply With Quote