HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jannik Hansen

Old
06-22-2013, 06:08 PM
Christina Woloski
#FIREBENNING

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by biturbo19 View Post
In before he loves Hansen so much that he puts him on the PP, and then gets frustrated as the lack of finish/hands of stone come out on full display...At which point, 'he just stinks. i don't know why, but he just screws it up every time.'

That's the real trick though. At ~$3.5M, Hansen would be overpaid. If that's the kind of money he's going to be looking at, i think we have to look at moving him before that point. If he's going to be open to re-signing at a 'Higgins rate' ~$2.5M, i can swallow that. But there's just not enough offensive upside there for me to stomach a $3.5M cap number. That's Scottie Upshall territory, as a similarly limited ~40pt, 15g gritty all around type player. And i think most people would agree that he's significantly overpaid. Even Bergenheim is 'overpaid' and provides a similar level to what Hansen can bring for $2.75M. So for me, it really comes down to where contract talks are going to be headed with Hansen...because he's not exactly the sort of player you can move the 'negotiating rights' to as a 3rd line winger, and get anything substantial in return. So if it gets to the brink of UFA status before we recognize that Hansen is going to be fishing for that big $3M+ deal...it puts us in a really bad situation, a bit like the Ehrhoff thing.
You think he's going to demand 3.5 ???!

He'll get 2.25 - 2.75. He doesn't want to live anywhere else either so maybe even less!

Christina Woloski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 02:24 AM
Orca Smash

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave babych returns View Post
People saying you don't trade a guy like Hansen if you want to win - I thought LA did pretty well for themselves in trading Wayne Simmonds (who I would describe similarly).

Granted Hansen will have less value since he has less unrealized potential and will hit UFA next year.
You dont trade a guy like hansen.....unless you get a big upgrade back or he is part of a big upgrade.

If we packaged hansen + jensen for someone like richards (like simmonds/schenn was) who was the captain of philly and had back to back 30 goal seasons Im sure nobody would argue.

Hansen likely also has a bit less value on the open market compared to simmonds and jensen a bit less then schenn at the time, so it might not be a completely accurate comparison.

But if we packaged something like that and a 2nd similar to what la did, and got someone like eric staal back i dont think anyone would say no.

Last edited by Orca Smash: 06-24-2013 at 02:36 AM.
Orca Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 12:02 PM
Ogie Goldthorpe
Piloted Ogre Hog

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Anarchy View Post
Torts is going to absolutely love him.
Different people involved, but I remember thinking that Mike Keenan was going to love Martin Gelinas.

You never know.

Ogie Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 12:42 PM
dave babych returns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orca Smash View Post
You dont trade a guy like hansen.....unless you get a big upgrade back or he is part of a big upgrade.
So basically exactly what I said then?

My point was that people are bemoaning the idea of trading Hansen but this team either needs some players to come out of nowhere and contribute, or needs some better players brought in - and you don't bring in better players without dealing away something of value.

Quote:
If we packaged hansen + jensen for someone like richards (like simmonds/schenn was) who was the captain of philly and had back to back 30 goal seasons Im sure nobody would argue.

Hansen likely also has a bit less value on the open market compared to simmonds and jensen a bit less then schenn at the time, so it might not be a completely accurate comparison.

But if we packaged something like that and a 2nd similar to what la did, and got someone like eric staal back i dont think anyone would say no.
I don't want to derail the thread by getting into specific players, my point is simply that there are examples of teams who have traded "guys you win with" and then gone on and won.. with the player they got back playing a huge role.

dave babych returns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 01:35 PM
Orca Smash

Well lets be reasonable here, my point is I dont think anyone was saying you dont trade hansen for a big upgrade. I have not seen anyone say you dont trade players like hansen period, but I have seen people say you dont trade them unless its a big over payment. And your simmonds example would be that big over payment. I dont think anyone has that kind of return in mind when discussing dealing hansen.

Do you really think if people did say that.... they would not trade hansen for an even better return? If so they are nuts and I do not believe anyone was saying that.

In other words I dont think anyone considers him untouchable or an invaluable piece to our teams success, but it would take an over payment to get him from us considering what he does mean to our team and the type of player he is.

Last edited by Orca Smash: 06-24-2013 at 01:48 PM.
Orca Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 03:12 PM
topheavyhookjaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Promethesis View Post
Don't know why we would ever consider trading him. He gets points, is solid defensively, exciting to watch, PK's, (some time on the PP as well), and has only been getting better for the past 3 years (in 10 point intervals.) He's the kind of player you win with, not the kind you trade -- he brings consistency, and you don't trade that , short of a massive overpayment (1st+). mind boggling stuff.
If it looks like they can't re-sign him past this season, moving him could be a great way to get a young piece to move forward with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samzilla View Post
His cap hit is still 1.3mil for one more year and he puts up over .5ppg. The average salary for players putting up those kind of numbers is ~3.5mil.

We need players who are outperforming their contracts. Big no to trading Hansen without a damn good reason.
I think he is one of the few pieces that has huge value to a team other than vancouver, I would certainly listen to offers for him either to package to upgrade to a bigger piece, or to sell off for a good prospect/pick. If he puts up a comparable season to this past year rates wise, he will get paid, and the Canucks may not be able to afford him.

topheavyhookjaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 03:24 PM
Fraser Read

Perfect 3rd line RW. I agree that we have too many players with this similar skill set, but I would suggest we make other moves to make Hansen's presence on the team more appropriate rather than the other way around.

Fraser Read is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 03:25 PM
dave babych returns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orca Smash View Post
Well lets be reasonable here, my point is I dont think anyone was saying you dont trade hansen for a big upgrade. I have not seen anyone say you dont trade players like hansen period, but I have seen people say you dont trade them unless its a big over payment. And your simmonds example would be that big over payment. I dont think anyone has that kind of return in mind when discussing dealing hansen.

Do you really think if people did say that.... they would not trade hansen for an even better return? If so they are nuts and I do not believe anyone was saying that.

In other words I dont think anyone considers him untouchable or an invaluable piece to our teams success, but it would take an over payment to get him from us considering what he does mean to our team and the type of player he is.
Yeah you could turn the tables on this though and you'd have exactly what I'm saying - "nobody is saying you trade Hansen for a bad return"..

Anyway we all basically agree (it's just that some people flip their lid at the suggestion he could/should be traded) so why am I even bothering to reply.

dave babych returns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 11:11 PM
Soth

vCash: 833
Love me some Jannik, and I'm not even Danish.

No way Gillis would trade such a valuable guy, unless there was a huge return. I also think that he has untapped offensive potential that we've only caught glimpses of. One of these days he is going to click and become a second liner imo.

Soth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 06:13 AM
Pip
[hello] :)

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuckaholic19 View Post
Perfect 3rd line RW. I agree that we have too many players with this similar skill set, but I would suggest we make other moves to make Hansen's presence on the team more appropriate rather than the other way around.
Agreed, and how can you not love this face!

Pip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 07:34 AM
JuniorNelson

Hansen was statistically the best RW on the team, last season.

I'd like to try Hansen on Kesler's RW, with Burrows, as a top line.

JuniorNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 12:22 PM
dc

I think Hansen is more valuable than anyone else in our bottom six. I like him filling in in the top six more than Higgins because he goes to the net hard.

dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 12:29 PM
Seatoo
Never Stop Poasting

vCash: 400
The only way I'd move Hansen is for a handsome return and if we were able to sign/aquire Clutterbuck to replace him

Seatoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2015, 04:35 AM
Connor McHindu

Trading Jannik Hansen *IF* Grenier, Vey, or even Virtanen 'steps up.'

Let's say that things play out as follows after training camp (this is what I'm hoping for by the way, and so I'm being a bit biased here). [For the purpose of this example, let's say that Virtanen isn't quite ready to 'step in' eiter, while Gaunce losses out to Cassels].

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Baertschi-Horvat-Vrbata
Higgins-Bonino-Hansen
Prust-Cassels-Dorsett

(Vey)

Edler-Tanev
Hamhuis-Weber
Bartkowski-Sbisa

(Corrado)

So let's say out of training camp, this is the line-up we go with.

However, lets say that one of Alexandre Grenier or Linden Vey (LOL), really steps up and is playing well enough to the point where Benning/Desjardins feels that Grenier (or Vey, lol) deserves to be a full-time roster player on that RW side.

Cue - the Jannik Hansen trade proposal ideas, so that Grenier/Vey can be inserted into either that 3rd or 4th RW spot.

Now I absolutely love Hansen, and would rather try and keep him, but *IF* you have to move Jannik Hansen, do you think he could fetch us a Top 4 calibre defenseman? (preferably, a RH shot?).

Our defense at current:

Edler-Tanev
Hamhuis-Weber
Bartkowski-Sbisa

Looking at our defense, I think the biggest glaring hole here is that none of Weber, Bartkowski, or Sbisa are Top 4 quality defensemen as of this writing.

However - if you can perhaps package an honest player like Jannik Hansen, with say Adam Clandenning, perhaps the Canucks can land a Top 4 d-man. Right?

Connor McHindu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2015, 05:50 AM
kanucks25

^

1) If we were going to get rid of a veteran forward it'd make more sense to trade away Higgins (well Burrows, but I doubt there's a market and/or he won't waive). We have young players pushing for LW spots and not much when it comes to RW. Trading Higgins makes room for Kenins, Baerstchi, Gaunce, Shinkaruk, etc.

2) I love Hansen but he's just a good 3rd liner so he's not worth a top-4 D-man. Throwing in Clendening won't bridge that gap. No team has enough top-4 D-men. If they are going to trade one away it's probably going to be for a single piece of similar value in return (2nd line forward, a different type of top-4 D of a prospect equivalent to one of these two things).

kanucks25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2015, 05:57 AM
WTG
Verstappen!

Hansen was a great leader for us last year. Just see what he did with Horvat. Great on ice leadership.

Not only that he's good at playing hockey and his contract is awesome.

No way I'd trade him.

WTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2015, 09:07 AM
Doobie Dubois

Quote:
Originally Posted by Win tha game View Post
Hansen was a great leader for us last year. Just see what he did with Horvat. Great on ice leadership.

Not only that he's good at playing hockey and his contract is awesome.

No way I'd trade him.
Huh? Hansen is expendable. The only thing he brings his speed and energy. Obviously important but it's not like the guys untradeable. Come on. He's got hands of stone.

Doobie Dubois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2015, 12:48 PM
VC

Hansen is an excellent bottom sixer. I would be very happy if the young centres coming through the system have him on their wing. He was great on Horvat's wing, if Vey is to be a centre there is other winger that I'd want more on his wing. Same with McCann and Cassels coming up and even Gaunce in whichever position they have him playing.

Hansen is on a good contract and younger then the other two-way wingers on the team, Higgins and Burrows. I see no reason to move him. Vrbata has 1 year remaining, Burrows has 2 which lines up fairly well for Virtanen and Boeser to graduate onto the team if everything goes well. I see little reason to move him though he isn't untouchable or anything.

VC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2015, 12:49 PM
Ogie Goldthorpe
Piloted Ogre Hog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitts McCann View Post
Huh? Hansen is expendable. The only thing he brings his speed and energy. Obviously important but it's not like the guys untradeable. Come on. He's got hands of stone.
He is what he is. If he didn't have hands of stone, he'd be a 2nd or even 1st liner... and payed accordingly.

That said, if the right deal came along, he could and should be moved. But Win tha game's right... for what he brings to the table, including his age and contract, he's a perfect fit for our team on the 3rd line.

Ogie Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2015, 03:35 PM
Jyrki21
This!! ↓↓ Seriously!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connor McHindu View Post
The decision who has "stepped up" or not will be based on management's preferences (i.e. they want Vey in the lineup, and have decided they need to put in Virtanen or something) as opposed to actual performance. So I think they will be shopping Hansen regardless, because he is "old regime" and therefore bad or something.

Jyrki21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2015, 03:45 PM
MS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitts McCann View Post
Do you realize how hard it is to find guys who can score 15 ES goals and 30 ES points from 3rd/4th line minutes, especially while playing an excellent defensive game?

Hansen scored like a 2nd liner last year while skating mainly on the 3rd/4th line.

MS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2015, 03:48 PM
Nucker101
#TankNation

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Anarchy View Post
Torts is going to absolutely love him.

Anyway, Hansen is one of those players who brings more value to a team than he will in the trade market. It's likely not worth trading him.

Nucker101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2015, 03:53 PM
Proto

vCash: 833
Hansen >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Dorsett/Prust.

So, yes, he'll be traded for a 4th rounder or whatever.

Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2015, 04:22 PM
King Crimson

If Hansen had any semblance of accuracy or finish, he'd be a regular 25 goal scorer. But as it stands, he's "merely" a 15 goal scorer. People tend to get frustrated with him because of the bushels of missed chances, but what gets lost in the frustration is that he is always putting himself in those positions to score. It's why he's still a fantastic linemate for the Sedins; he can do everything Burrows does, but without the Burrows-like finish. He also has a surprisingly hard slapper, and is one of the few Canucks who can cut into the slot with regularity. Honestly, he can't pass as well as Kassian can, but I believe he has better offensive instincts than Kassian does.

He still has lots of untapped point-generating potential despite his age, and whatever his salary I'm comfortable keeping him around forever even if he never reaches it.

King Crimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2015, 04:22 PM
Scurr
Bear G

I've never heard his name in trade rumours and the new regime tasked Hansen with playing with the golden boy. My guess would be that they really like him... but who knows.

Scurr is offline   Reply With Quote