HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: Donairs: The official food of the HF Oilers board

Closed Thread

Old
10-19-2006, 02:52 AM
Rin

vCash: 500
I have been craving a donair for like weeks now...i always say i'll bring one home with me after work, but by then i have no appetite...tomorrow, for sure, i'm SO having a donair! I cant even remember when the last time i had a donair was. And i work in a restaurant, that sells like the most amazing donairs i've ever eaten.

Old
10-19-2006, 03:05 AM
jiggyman

Just finished up a Columbus super donair after soccer. I have such a hard time finishing these things, but mmmmm

Old
10-19-2006, 03:11 AM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rin View Post
I have been craving a donair for like weeks now...i always say i'll bring one home with me after work, but by then i have no appetite...tomorrow, for sure, i'm SO having a donair! I cant even remember when the last time i had a donair was. And i work in a restaurant, that sells like the most amazing donairs i've ever eaten.
Hmm, interesting, where is that? whats it called? is the cook good looking?

Old
10-19-2006, 03:19 AM
Rin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowzie View Post
Hmm, interesting, where is that? whats it called? is the cook good looking?
Well, it depends on which cook you are talking about. There is one chick that works there, shes pretty hot (and no i'm not a lesbian...i'm just acting conceited) Then there is this other cook, he is like a TOTAL dork...always bragging about how many points he got in his hockey pool that night. As for where it is, just drive down main street and turn left onto 2nd ave.

Old
10-19-2006, 10:10 AM
Heavy Fuel

All this donair talk inspired me to grab a donair last night at Js. He appeases the lettuce and pepper types with a Subway style choice of add ons, and the purists can get it as plain as they want. I chose the "sweet" sauce over the tzatziki sauce on a super jumbo, which comes with a coupon for $2 off your next angioplasty. He puts as much cheese and sauce on it as you want for the same price too.

I had to wait a while, since he only does one at a time and for the 15 minutes I stood there in line I was forced to inhale donair aromas on an empty stomach. Needless to say I was pretty freakin ravenous by the time I got home and got it unwrapped. ***Just a tip to the donair virgins out there, do not sit on a recliner and try to eat a super jumbo donair without a tarp. If your donair is as dripping with sauce and other goodness as mine was you will have to eat this over a plate.***

I did a couple of errands and for some reason felt a little tired and ended up going to bed about 2 hours early...

Old
10-19-2006, 10:18 AM
brownhornet

I havent even had breakfast and i'm hurting for a donair already. Did anyone happen to eat at the Falafel house on Whyte Ave? They changed owners about 6-7 (maybe longer) months ago. The old owners opened a new donair place somewhere else and I was hoping someone knew where it was? They made an amazing donair...

Old
10-19-2006, 11:33 AM
mack10

If you live in Castle Downs, try Baba's Donair, its new and still a bit slow starting up but this can be a good hang out place for people living in the area and his Donairs are pretty good...not as good as Swiss though.

Old
10-19-2006, 11:40 AM
ClosetOilersFan

There's actually a donair / schwarma / kebeb shop right across from the University of Toronto downtown; their food isn't all that bad. Just a note for those in the Toronto area.

Old
10-19-2006, 04:36 PM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by mack10 View Post
If you live in Castle Downs, try Baba's Donair, its new and still a bit slow starting up but this can be a good hang out place for people living in the area and his Donairs are pretty good...not as good as Swiss though.
I used to live RIGHT behind that strip mall, and for 2 yrs, I wished someone would open up a donair shop in there, before that hair salon went in there, I was telling anyone who would listen that a sub/donair shop would do good there. Now that I'm an out of towner, Im jelous of whoever lives in that house now.

How late is Baba's open? I always crave Swiss when Im in Edmonton, but they close early most days.

Old
10-19-2006, 04:47 PM
nuahs

MR. Donair on stony plain is the best period

Old
10-19-2006, 05:32 PM
Wolfpack

Man, I am hungry after reading this thread.

There used to be a little Greek place in Hub Mall way back when I was in university, and they made donairs with the tzatziki sauce - I pretty well lived off of those.

Always been a fan of Charles Smart.

It may be sacreligious to admit it, but I am now addicted to the chicken donairs. I go to the Donair Stop on 50th Street and 98th ave. My wife likes their donairs with the sweet sauce but I get the chicken donair sub on a whole wheat bun (that makes it healthy, right?) with the garlic sauce. Mmmmmm.....

I've always meant to try Queen Donair on Whyte but never have... I'm going to have to get there and I'm going to try that place in Sherwood Park now too.

Old
10-19-2006, 05:35 PM
McThome
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to McThome
Famous Donair in Sherwood Park.

Nobody compares to Robbie.

10-19-2006, 05:38 PM
PDO

Send a message via AIM to PDO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack View Post
Man, I am hungry after reading this thread.

There used to be a little Greek place in Hub Mall way back when I was in university, and they made donairs with the tzatziki sauce - I pretty well lived off of those.

Always been a fan of Charles Smart.

It may be sacreligious to admit it, but I am now addicted to the chicken donairs. I go to the Donair Stop on 50th Street and 98th ave. My wife likes their donairs with the sweet sauce but I get the chicken donair sub on a whole wheat bun (that makes it healthy, right?) with the garlic sauce. Mmmmmm.....

I've always meant to try Queen Donair on Whyte but never have... I'm going to have to get there and I'm going to try that place in Sherwood Park now too.
Yeah.

Those two words... they just don't work together man.

It's like saying "Calgary" and "Offensively Competant" in the same sentence.

Unless of course, you're stating that, "Calgary tries to hard to be offensively competant, but it truly is a lost a cause."

:]

Old
10-19-2006, 05:39 PM
Jet
Spoiled Rotten

vCash: 50
I absolutely LOVE donairs, but there are so many bad ones I'm afraid to try them anymore. The last great one I had was in Halifax... Anyone in Winnipeg know where I can get one, a REAL one with the sweet sauce and east coast donair meat?

10-20-2006, 04:53 AM
Hairball

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Whole View Post
I did a couple of errands and for some reason felt a little tired and ended up going to bed about 2 hours early...
Ahhh, donair sloth. So predictable...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jet228 View Post
I absolutely LOVE donairs, but there are so many bad ones I'm afraid to try them anymore. The last great one I had was in Halifax... Anyone in Winnipeg know where I can get one, a REAL one with the sweet sauce and east coast donair meat?
Somewhere in this thread is a link for a place in Winnipeg.

Old
10-20-2006, 06:07 AM
Bring Back Bucky

vCash: 968
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairball View Post
Ahhh, donair sloth. So predictable...

Somewhere in this thread is a link for a place in Winnipeg.
Hairball, you big, hairy multi-pierced giver of love, you complete me. Your sharing of the gospel puts you on par with visionairies across the millenia.

Old
10-20-2006, 10:34 AM
SqueakyBrad

Well i had to go get one yesterday after reading this thread and anyone in Sherwood Park go check out World Famous Donairs on Sherwood Drive by the Golf course. Everyone knows who Robbie is and knows he makes the best donair in the world. God dam it was deeeee licious

Old
10-23-2006, 09:30 AM
Hairball

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBB-King of Donair View Post
Hairball, you big, hairy multi-pierced giver of love, you complete me. Your sharing of the gospel puts you on par with visionairies across the millenia.
I learned from the king...

Old
10-23-2006, 10:00 AM
faneuil

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBB-King of Donair View Post
You said that, and I thought of this...

I'm most certain that we couldn't find a medical association to back this thread at all.

Old
11-24-2007, 05:58 PM
Ramrod
Happily outscoring

bump for good donairs
Best donairs in the city:
Donair Station (formerly King Richards) on ~173st and 87th ave
Also, it's not on the menu, but if you go to Marco's Famous and ask for the "Wildcat" you'll be greeted with a look of surprise and one of the best donairs around. They have a sign for it up at the UofA location, not sure about the Whyte ave one.

Old
11-24-2007, 06:02 PM
OntOilFan

There is a disturbing lack of donair places in my neck of the woods.

Old
11-24-2007, 06:03 PM
Cerebral

Ugh, Jimmy's Schwarma in Calgary is going to lead to me dying about ten years earlier than they should. I managed to finish a large chicken schwarma today and the thing was just ridiculously massive.

11-24-2007, 06:19 PM
Jepprey
Creeper

nothing beats swiss donair on 82 street. prime time. north edmonton.

Old
11-24-2007, 06:22 PM
VelvetJones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral View Post
Ugh, Jimmy's Schwarma in Calgary is going to lead to me dying about ten years earlier than they should. I managed to finish a large chicken schwarma today and the thing was just ridiculously massive.
You should try that Schwarma place on 14th st and 16th ave SW. I had the lamb platter about 2 hours ago.

Old
11-24-2007, 06:26 PM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMacdonald View Post
You should try that Schwarma place on 14th st and 16th ave SW. I had the lamb platter about 2 hours ago.
Pretty good? I'll have to check it out at some point. I highly recommend Jimmy's Schwarma, it always wins awards at the end of the year and they're ridiculous huge and tasty.

Last edited by Cerebral: 11-24-2007 at 06:39 PM.
Closed Thread