HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Vinny Lecavalier bought out | signed with Philly (5 years, $4.5M cap hit, full NMC)

Old
06-27-2013, 01:55 PM
LightningStrikes
VL4ever

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuraSphere View Post
Must suck for you guys, sorry for the loss... but i'm excited as a leafs fan, he's a possibility to us.

But just came here to make sure if a rumour was true or not? There was speculation that said he'd only go to Montreal if he wasn't able to play in Tampa?
Quite the contrary actually:

Quote:
Arpon Basu ‏@ArponBasu
"My door is open to the 29 other teams right now." - Lecavalier
https://twitter.com/ArponBasu/status/350325269371949059

LightningStrikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 01:56 PM
jg39
SFY is great

vCash: 500
As has been stated, this was a tough move to make. I'm gutted, because you want to lose your captain like we lost Andreychuk: retirement after a Cup win. However, that rarely happens exactly like we want, and with the CBA the way it is these days, VL's contract was just too much for the Lightning to work with. I understand the move, but it doesn't make things any easier.

I have, and will always have, the most sincere respect for Vincent Lecavalier, and all he's done for this team and the Tampa community. He's been the face of the franchise, as well as our captain in recent years, and handled losing, injuries, and countless "Lecavalier to Montreal" rumors like a true class act. Thank you for everything Vinny, and we hope to see you back in Tampa with a bolt on your jersey.

Boy...this move hurts.

jg39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 01:56 PM
LightningStrikes
VL4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampa Bay Trio View Post
Ya I don't see him ever coming back to Tampa, especially after being bought out (regardless of the organization's motivation behind the move).
Obviously a lot can happen in a year but I wouldn't rule out a comeback either.

Old
06-27-2013, 02:02 PM
TheDaysOf 04

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisUlrich View Post
Who do you see guys wearing the "C"? St. Louis? Or do you give it to the franchise, Stamkos?
Absolutely Marty. %100.

Old
06-27-2013, 02:02 PM
Steve Yzerman
A New Season Begins

Quote:
@reporterchris Lecavalier says he's looking for a longer-term deal with another team.
Oh no. There goes that Vinny comes back in 1 year scenario. I was really hoping he'd come back in 1 year.

Steve Yzerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 02:06 PM
TheDaysOf 04

https://twitter.com/adamkohler
Quote:
Asked if Vinny is open to returning to Bolts, he said he'd like to sign a long-term deal with his next team. Don't expect a return to TB.
https://twitter.com/reporterchris
Quote:
Lecavalier says he's looking for a longer-term deal with another team. "I'm sad to leave but now I'm moving on."
That's it I guess

TheDaysOf 04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 02:07 PM
LightningStrikes
VL4ever

Quote:
Chris Johnston ‏@reporterchris
Lecavalier says he's looking for a longer-term deal with another team. "I'm sad to leave but now I'm moving on."
https://twitter.com/reporterchris/st...27051246510081

Quote:
Adam Kohler ‏@adamkohler
Asked if Vinny is open to returning to Bolts, he said he'd like to sign a long-term deal with his next team. Don't expect a return to TB.
https://twitter.com/adamkohler/statu...27437072154626

Old
06-27-2013, 02:10 PM
ThunderBiscuit
With A Side Of Gravy

Goodbye Vinny. Was a joy to watch you play and help shape Lightning history.

ThunderBiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 02:10 PM
Maria

well there goes that possibility

Maria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 02:11 PM
Still All In
Plz stop pucks

Theres a name I haven't seen in ages! Hi Maria!

Still All In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 02:11 PM
El Cohiba

Sorry Bolts fans, as a Panther fan this was even a shock to me.

Any chance you guys think he'll wind up a few hours south? Especially if the Cats don't retain Weiss? I remember seeing somewhere that he didn't want to uproot his kids.

El Cohiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 02:12 PM
LightningStrikes
VL4ever

Vinny and his agent are definitely trying to get the most out of this (and rightfully so): "Listening to all teams", "looking for longer term and commitment"...

Still doesn't rule out a comeback to eventually retire a Bolt.

Old
06-27-2013, 02:14 PM
Maria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still All In View Post
Theres a name I haven't seen in ages! Hi Maria!

Hi, I know I've gone for a long time, but still a fan of this crazy team

Maria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 02:23 PM
Cigar City

Really? Expect him to come back after this?

After all he's done for the Bay area, his team basically says "we don't want you anymore, even though we could have chosen other options to keep you."

Can you blame him? We did him dirty. When it is the face of the franchise, the franchise HAS to take personal considerations into account. My opinion, anyways.

Cigar City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 02:25 PM
TASA

I know his contract was going to hurt the team, and this move had to be made, but I still feel like crying. VL4 will always be a Bolt. I hope he wins wherever he goes, even though it will hurt seeing him in another teams sweater.

TASA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 02:30 PM
TheDaysOf 04

https://twitter.com/LightningTimes
Quote:
Lecavalier wants a long-term deal so a return is doubtful, but, he said, "I'd like to go to Tampa after my career and raise my kids there."
I guess there's hope. Even if he doesn't come back as a player, he needs to come back and continue to be apart of this organization.

TheDaysOf 04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 02:34 PM
2MinutesforGiraffing
angelsil on safari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigar City View Post
Really? Expect him to come back after this?

After all he's done for the Bay area, his team basically says "we don't want you anymore, even though we could have chosen other options to keep you."
Yeah, we really don't deserve his loyalty any longer. The organization wasn't willing to take the risk that he wouldn't get injured again and retire early. He's been a Bolt for 3/4 of the time Tampa has HAD a team, through years nobody likes to remember. He did it with class, not ashamed to play for us. Unlike some other folks.

The fact that we may still have to see Malone in a Bolts sweater next year is gonna make me puke everytime. Really? We keep HIM?!?!

2MinutesforGiraffing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 02:40 PM
Steve Yzerman
A New Season Begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelsil View Post
Yeah, we really don't deserve his loyalty any longer. The organization wasn't willing to take the risk that he wouldn't get injured again and retire early. He's been a Bolt for 3/4 of the time Tampa has HAD a team, through years nobody likes to remember. He did it with class, not ashamed to play for us. Unlike some other folks.

The fact that we may still have to see Malone in a Bolts sweater next year is gonna make me puke everytime. Really? We keep HIM?!?!
They're trying to trade him. If we can receive a pick back and more importantly save money, then shouldn't Yzerman explore that route rather than just buy him out?

Steve Yzerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 02:43 PM
CupsOverCash

I dont know if a team will be willing to at that price. He may be a deadline casualty. Hope Im wrong and a team will want him.

CupsOverCash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 02:44 PM
ThunderAlleyNomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelsil View Post

Be perfectly honest with yourself and ask why the organization SHOULD be willing to risk that he wouldn't get injured again. When was the last season he wasn't injured?

It's a hard way to go and it's a hard business that makes you have to dump a guy like Vinny, but they didn't have the knife out for him. Would you prefer to have kept him and trusted that Malone's cap hit was going to be enough to bring in the pieces we need for this next season? How about for the next seven seasons?

I in no way blame Vinny for signing that contract, I have a feeling negotiations amounted to shoving $10mil/year under his nose and saying is it enough? But he himself recognizes that it hurt the options for the team.

And you still don't know that we're keeping Malone for sure, you just know that Yzerman said he wasn't planning on using any more buyouts this season. Unlike Vinny, Malone no longer has the option to say nope to every other team.

ThunderAlleyNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 02:47 PM
Yzlamic Preacher*
Believes in Yzergod

If we move Malone and Ohlund goes on on LTIR then we will have something like 18 million in cap space. Stupid money going to be thrown at Filpulla?

Yzlamic Preacher* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 02:48 PM
Sky04

Holy crap, I sleep in to wake up to this.... wow.

Honestly thought there was no chance this was happening this year.... sigh there goes Vinny and Drouin by the looks of it

Sky04 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 02:49 PM
Felonious Python
Still Drej

Here's the e-mail that was sent to STMs.

Quote:

I am writing to inform you that we have elected to "buy-out" the contract of Vincent Lecavalier today. Working under the parameters set forth in the new collective bargaining agreement (CBA), each National Hockey League team is permitted two "compliance buy-outs" over the next two years. We have elected to use one of these buyouts to better position ourselves to operate under this new CBA. In buying-out Vinny's contract we are creating approximately $7.7 million of salary cap space for each of the next seven seasons as his contract will no longer count against the team's cap.

The decision to part ways with Vinny was not made easily. In fact, it will cost the Lightning (and owner Jeff Vinik) nearly $32.7 million over the next 14 years. However, after much internal deliberation, we believe this will prove to be a pivotal move for us as we strive to achieve our long term goal of competing at the highest level year-in, year-out.

We will continue to have the ability to spend to the salary cap each season, but the "cap-hit" created by Vinny's contract is proving to be prohibitive as we model roster possibilities for 2013-14 and beyond. The economics and structure of the CBA are necessitating this decision, but we at the Lightning are excited at the newly-created opportunities this presents to us.

As we release Vinny of his obligation to play for the Tampa Bay Lightning, we acknowledge and thank him for his incredible accomplishments on and off the ice for the Lightning, our fans and the Tampa Bay community. Since being drafted in 1998, Vinny has been a significant reason for many of the Lightning's past successes, including the 2004 Stanley Cup, and his contributions to the people of Tampa Bay have been immeasurable. It was an honor for me personally to recognize him for 1,000 career games played with the Lightning this past season.

Vinny will always be considered a part of the Tampa Bay Lightning family and his legacy will be celebrated at every opportunity. In fact, we have already decided to honor him as a Lightning Community Hero at his first game back in the Tampa Bay Times Forum with his new team, recognizing him for his work with the Vinny Lecavalier Foundation. Please join with me in wishing Vinny all the best as he moves on to the next chapter in his playing career.

We appreciate your continued investment as a season ticket member and I remain steadfast in my optimism for our future. We are committed to building a franchise focused on draft and development; best positioning us for sustained long-term success. The upcoming NHL Entry Draft offers us an opportunity to add a significant piece to our core and we look forward to the start of training camp in September.

Thank you for your support.

Best Regards,

Steve Yzerman
Vice President and General Manager

Felonious Python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 02:50 PM
Sky04

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisUlrich View Post
Who do you see guys wearing the "C"? St. Louis? Or do you give it to the franchise, Stamkos?
St.louis without a doubt, with Lecavalier leaving like this, the locker room needs to be stabilized, St.louis is the guy to do that not Stamkos at this point.

Sky04 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 02:51 PM
faulk

as a Habs fan i feel for the lightning fans here the team did not want to buy out Vinny he's been the heart and soul of this team for years he gave so much to the team and the city but because of the new cba it was the right thing for the team moving forward. i would love to see him play for the Habs but im not like most habs fans who automatically thinks he will sign . heres hoping he can be the star he once was .

faulk is offline   Reply With Quote