HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Notices

Off-Season 2013 - Part II

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-27-2013, 11:49 AM
  #151
TheDaysOf 04
Moderator
Rated [SFY]
 
TheDaysOf 04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 16,434
vCash: 500
There's no way we are competing right now. The future looks good because we have an excellent group of young prospects and great place for them to develop, and we're gonna add a #3 pick this weekend...but right now I don't see how we can be good. You have a goaltending issue that's been going on forever, the defense isn't that strong, there's too much being placed on our rookies (Johnson, Killorn, Gudas, Palat, and Panik) to play real well, and now we have a major hole without Vinny. We aren't in the S.E. anymore either. You could try to fix the 2nd line center hole through FA but I don't see the point. It's better off to build this team correctly than overpaying through free agency again. If Yzerman is trying to replicate the Detroit model, then that's how you do it. You draft and develop your core and your top players, so you don't have to outbid teams in the summer, and it's easier to keep contracts under control. The hard part about that is can you keep going not making the playoffs for 3 straight years + lose Vinny and expect fans to stay patient enough to see what this team could be 1,2, or 3 years from now?

__________________
VL4ever
"It's still All In to me dammit." - Felonious Python

Last edited by TheDaysOf 04: 06-27-2013 at 12:09 PM.
TheDaysOf 04 is offline  
Old
06-27-2013, 11:59 AM
  #152
LightningStrikes
Moderator
SFY
 
LightningStrikes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Country: Germany
Posts: 11,273
vCash: 133
Maybe something like this:

Killorn - Stamkos - St. Louis
Palat - Johnson - Purcell
Pyatt - Barkov - Panik
Thompson - Lapierre - Crombeen
(Labrie, Pouliot, Malone, whoever)

Hedman - Salo
Scuderi - Carle
Brewer - Gudas
(Aulie)

Bishop
Lindback


LightningStrikes is online now  
Old
06-27-2013, 12:31 PM
  #153
LightningStrikes
Moderator
SFY
 
LightningStrikes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Country: Germany
Posts: 11,273
vCash: 133
Quote:
Mike Corcoran ‏@MikeCorcoranNHL 56m
Spoke with Kent Hughes, agent for RFA Benoit Pouliot. Said there have been preliminary talks with Lightning, unsure where talks will end up.
https://twitter.com/MikeCorcoranNHL/...90971755429888

LightningStrikes is online now  
Old
06-27-2013, 12:33 PM
  #154
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks
 
The Fear Boners's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Scrip Club
Country: United States
Posts: 20,010
vCash: 500
Sounds like Scuderi won't make it to free agency.

The Fear Boners is offline  
Old
06-27-2013, 12:39 PM
  #155
TheDaysOf 04
Moderator
Rated [SFY]
 
TheDaysOf 04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 16,434
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningStrikes View Post

I think with Vinny gone, we need Pouloit more now. With Killorn already here, Drouin or Barkov a high possibility to be picked and play here at 18, and Coop likely going with some more of his kids from the Crunch, this will be a young team. Especially if you lose Malone too, you need that stopgap. You need someone who can play in the top 6 and relieve some of the pressure you'd put on the younger guys until they're ready to handle top 6 minutes, responsibilities, and pressure to put up points.

TheDaysOf 04 is offline  
Old
06-27-2013, 12:53 PM
  #156
Drouin2Stamkos
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,956
vCash: 500
Wonder what they do with that extra cash now. They need another center. Im hoping we draft Drouin but you wouldnt fault them for taking Barkov. Big need for size in the lineup.

Drouin2Stamkos is offline  
Old
06-27-2013, 02:03 PM
  #157
NatoGhost
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 14
vCash: 500
Assuming we draft Seth Jones or Drouin, what about signing Tyler Bozak or Derek Roy to help fill out our roster? I don't know too much about either of them. I was just looking at Capgeek UFA centers and they were near the top point-wise after skipping Lecavalier and Patrick Elias.

If we drafted a center like Barkov, what about signing Ryan Clowe? Not sure what he would demand though.

NatoGhost is offline  
Old
06-27-2013, 02:07 PM
  #158
Bolt32
Registered User
 
Bolt32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Palm Harbor, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 2,752
vCash: 500
screw it, give the reigns to the kids. Sink or swim. We are the Tampa Bay Crunch now.

Bolt32 is offline  
Old
06-27-2013, 02:18 PM
  #159
TheDaysOf 04
Moderator
Rated [SFY]
 
TheDaysOf 04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 16,434
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatoGhost View Post
Assuming we draft Seth Jones or Drouin, what about signing Tyler Bozak or Derek Roy to help fill out our roster? I don't know too much about either of them. I was just looking at Capgeek UFA centers and they were near the top point-wise after skipping Lecavalier and Patrick Elias.

If we drafted a center like Barkov, what about signing Ryan Clowe? Not sure what he would demand though.
Roy or Bozak aren't really good fits, because we already have a small center in Tyler Johnson. Roy isn't that great anymore and Bozak without all the Toronto hype, was never that great to begin with. He's not really an ideal #2 center going forward.

And Clowe, he is friends with Purcell and he'd be a welcomed upgrade over Malone, but he'd probably ask for too much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolt32 View Post
screw it, give the reigns to the kids. Sink or swim. We are the Tampa Bay Crunch now.
Let's not ruin them now that we have have a good prospect pool for once. A lot of our future rides on them.

TheDaysOf 04 is offline  
Old
06-27-2013, 02:28 PM
  #160
Steve Yzerman
A Great Season
 
Steve Yzerman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Mississauga
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,422
vCash: 805
Angelidis re-signed. 1 year, 2 way contract.

Steve Yzerman is offline  
Old
06-27-2013, 02:29 PM
  #161
Pontius Palat
Liam Neeson's mentor
 
Pontius Palat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 298
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningStrikes View Post
Maybe something like this:

Killorn - Stamkos - St. Louis
Palat - Johnson - Purcell
Pyatt - Barkov - Panik
Thompson - Lapierre - Crombeen
(Labrie, Pouliot, Malone, whoever)

Hedman - Salo
Scuderi - Carle
Brewer - Gudas
(Aulie)

Bishop
Lindback

If this is our lineup then we'll get to add Ekblad/Reinhart/Nylander at the next draft.

Pontius Palat is offline  
Old
06-27-2013, 02:47 PM
  #162
LightningStrikes
Moderator
SFY
 
LightningStrikes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Country: Germany
Posts: 11,273
vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoekkoekPuffs View Post
If this is our lineup then we'll get to add Ekblad/Reinhart/Nylander at the next draft.
It's far from great and definitely not enough to compete. It's still early into the off-season but as things look today this team won't really be competing for another year or two at the earliest. From Yzerman's statement today: "We are committed to building a franchise focused on draft and development". Which actually makes me wonder about Marty's future with the team too TBH.

Then again, I guess you never know with Yzerman. As it stands (17/23 players on the roster) we have approx. $10 million in cap space - still counting Ohlund though. Malone might soon be asked to deliver his 12 team trade list which opens up another $4.5 million - minus whatever the return is.

Lots of holes. Lots of options.


Last edited by LightningStrikes: 06-27-2013 at 02:56 PM.
LightningStrikes is online now  
Old
06-27-2013, 02:55 PM
  #163
stryfe604
Believes in Yzergod
 
stryfe604's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Vancouver BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,959
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningStrikes View Post
It's far from great and definitely not enough to compete. It's still early into the off-season but as things look today this team won't really be competing for another year or two at the earliest. Which actually makes me wonder about Marty's future with the team too TBH.

Then again, I guess you never know with Yzerman. As it stands (17/23 players on the roster) we have approx. $10 million in cap space - still counting Ohlund though. Malone might soon be asked to deliver his 12 team trade list which opens up another $4.5 million - minus whatever the return is.

Lots of holes. Lots of options.
If we move Malone and Ohlund goes on on LTIR then we will have something like 18 million in cap space. Stupid money going to be thrown at Filpulla?

stryfe604 is offline  
Old
06-27-2013, 03:03 PM
  #164
Pontius Palat
Liam Neeson's mentor
 
Pontius Palat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 298
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stryfe604 View Post
If we move Malone and Ohlund goes on on LTIR then we will have something like 18 million in cap space. Stupid money going to be thrown at Filpulla?
If you're gonna start throwing around stupid money then just offer sheet Pietrangelo.

Pontius Palat is offline  
Old
06-27-2013, 03:28 PM
  #165
stryfe604
Believes in Yzergod
 
stryfe604's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Vancouver BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,959
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoekkoekPuffs View Post
If you're gonna start throwing around stupid money then just offer sheet Pietrangelo.
Well when I meant stupid money, I meant in relation to what Filpulla is worth. He is worth maybe 4 - 4.t but throw 5.5 at him. Also I'm all for the Pietrangelo idea.

stryfe604 is offline  
Old
06-27-2013, 03:34 PM
  #166
Steve Yzerman
A Great Season
 
Steve Yzerman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Mississauga
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,422
vCash: 805
Quote:
Originally Posted by stryfe604 View Post
Well when I meant stupid money, I meant in relation to what Filpulla is worth. He is worth maybe 4 - 4.t but throw 5.5 at him. Also I'm all for the Pietrangelo idea.
We have almost 18 million in cap space? Offer sheet him now. Why shouldn't we?

Steve Yzerman is offline  
Old
06-27-2013, 03:41 PM
  #167
JFleegs
Registered User
 
JFleegs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Upstate New York
Country: United States
Posts: 389
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Yzerman View Post
We have almost 18 million in cap space? Offer sheet him now. Why shouldn't we?
Yzerplan muahahah(evil laugh)

JFleegs is offline  
Old
06-27-2013, 03:54 PM
  #168
jg39
SFY is great
 
jg39's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: NC
Country: United States
Posts: 2,375
vCash: 517
Quote:
Originally Posted by stryfe604 View Post
If we move Malone and Ohlund goes on on LTIR then we will have something like 18 million in cap space. Stupid money going to be thrown at Filpulla?
Freeing up money to bring in Luongo




I hope to everything holy that's a joke.

jg39 is offline  
Old
06-27-2013, 04:22 PM
  #169
stryfe604
Believes in Yzergod
 
stryfe604's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Vancouver BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,959
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Yzerman View Post
We have almost 18 million in cap space? Offer sheet him now. Why shouldn't we?
Yup 18 million if everything goes exactly like planned. 10.1 right now, 3.5 off with Ohlund, and if Malone leaves 4. 5. That is 18.1 million, also if we get rid of Brewer 22 + million. There is a lot of room to play with.

Offer sheet Pietrangelo!

stryfe604 is offline  
Old
06-27-2013, 04:57 PM
  #170
angelsil
On Thin Ice
 
angelsil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Tampa. Again. Soon
Country: United States
Posts: 936
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningStrikes View Post
Which actually makes me wonder about Marty's future with the team too TBH.
That's what I was discussing today. Not gonna be surprised if Marty moves on, given the clear rebuilding we're doing. Unless Stevie has something big* up his sleeve, we're icing a mostly green team next year and won't be competitive, quite possibly for several years. MSL wants to compete and has at best a few years left to get another cup. It's really not fair to him to hold him in Tampa without a chance to win.

*If that something big is Luongo, I'm giving up

angelsil is offline  
Old
06-27-2013, 05:40 PM
  #171
stryfe604
Believes in Yzergod
 
stryfe604's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Vancouver BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,959
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelsil View Post
That's what I was discussing today. Not gonna be surprised if Marty moves on, given the clear rebuilding we're doing. Unless Stevie has something big* up his sleeve, we're icing a mostly green team next year and won't be competitive, quite possibly for several years. MSL wants to compete and has at best a few years left to get another cup. It's really not fair to him to hold him in Tampa without a chance to win.

*If that something big is Luongo, I'm giving up
I'm with you on this. If it's Luongo that's a paddlin'. Please someone make that meme, I'm at work and would like that as my avatar.

stryfe604 is offline  
Old
06-27-2013, 05:40 PM
  #172
BarberioTheBarbarian
Registered User
 
BarberioTheBarbarian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Sarasota, Fl
Country: United States
Posts: 573
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jg39 View Post
Freeing up money to bring in Luongo




I hope to everything holy that's a joke.
Seeing as how Vinny was bought out because of his contract, I don't see us bringing in Luongo.

BarberioTheBarbarian is offline  
Old
06-27-2013, 06:44 PM
  #173
TheDaysOf 04
Moderator
Rated [SFY]
 
TheDaysOf 04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 16,434
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelsil View Post
That's what I was discussing today. Not gonna be surprised if Marty moves on, given the clear rebuilding we're doing. Unless Stevie has something big* up his sleeve, we're icing a mostly green team next year and won't be competitive, quite possibly for several years. MSL wants to compete and has at best a few years left to get another cup. It's really not fair to him to hold him in Tampa without a chance to win.

*If that something big is Luongo, I'm giving up
Marty's a big believer in the Yzerplan and Yzerman refused to trade Marty at the deadline, so I don't think he's going anyway. We just lost our captain, and I would like to think MAB and Hall were good leaders too, so that makes Marty even more valuable to us. We need someone to lead this club as Syracuse continues to pass players our way and there's not too many better than him.

We have the talent in the AHL and I'm confident we can develop fine NHL players. The question will be how fast can they become impact players for us. Post 05 lockout, the Penguins, Blackhawks, and Capitals were all able to go from losers to yearly playoff teams because they were able to infuse their prospects into their team and they become quality NHL players. Those transitions took 2 or 3 years.

Murray always talks about how winning in the AHL has helped speed up the development of our prospects. We saw that when guys like Palat and Johnson were able to make a pretty smooth transition into the NHL. But how fast can a player like Panik for instance, fit comfortably in our top 6 and put up points like a top 6 NHL winger. Same goes for Kucherov, Namestnikov, Connolly, and some others. Maybe a guy like Drouin comes into this league and lights it up. That helps the process incredibly.

Martys got 2 more years on his deal. Hopefully by then this team is in a much different state and these prospects and young players more than not become the players we thought they could be.

TheDaysOf 04 is offline  
Old
06-27-2013, 07:58 PM
  #174
stryfe604
Believes in Yzergod
 
stryfe604's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Vancouver BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,959
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDaysOf 04 View Post
Marty's a big believer in the Yzerplan and Yzerman refused to trade Marty at the deadline, so I don't think he's going anyway. We just lost our captain, and I would like to think MAB and Hall were good leaders too, so that makes Marty even more valuable to us. We need someone to lead this club as Syracuse continues to pass players our way and there's not too many better than him.

We have the talent in the AHL and I'm confident we can develop fine NHL players. The question will be how fast can they become impact players for us. Post 05 lockout, the Penguins, Blackhawks, and Capitals were all able to go from losers to yearly playoff teams because they were able to infuse their prospects into their team and they become quality NHL players. Those transitions took 2 or 3 years.

Murray always talks about how winning in the AHL has helped speed up the development of our prospects. We saw that when guys like Palat and Johnson were able to make a pretty smooth transition into the NHL. But how fast can a player like Panik for instance, fit comfortably in our top 6 and put up points like a top 6 NHL winger. Same goes for Kucherov, Namestnikov, Connolly, and some others. Maybe a guy like Drouin comes into this league and lights it up. That helps the process incredibly.

Martys got 2 more years on his deal. Hopefully by then this team is in a much different state and these prospects and young players more than not become the players we thought they could be.
I read this like a father was giving his child advice for adulthood. Lol

stryfe604 is offline  
Old
06-27-2013, 09:04 PM
  #175
TBLHoser
Registered User
 
TBLHoser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Sunshine State
Country: United States
Posts: 1,943
vCash: 500
This may already be old news by now....per an interview with SFY, he said that they were not discussing any more buyouts of players. They will not be overly active in free agency and plan to fill needs with younger players ready to move up from Syracuse such as Barberio. Also, acquisitions by trade may be possible if it's the right fit. He feels Brewer and Carle will benefit from a full training camp and he's not concerned about Brewer, saying "he'll be fine". At this time, Malone will remain with the team - he's had no discussions with him.

....and Barkov is a definite possibility but it depends on how things fall with the first 2 picks.

TBLHoser is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:29 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.