HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Very positive game. 2nd line (merged)

Old
10-19-2006, 09:52 AM
znk

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Chezz View Post
You know that they won't reply.

They're only able to come out after dark, when the Habs lose.
That's disapointing. Seriously...does any player look lazy on those shifts?

Last edited by znk: 10-19-2006 at 10:03 AM.
znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2006, 09:54 AM
optimus2861

Quote:
Originally Posted by larue View Post
One thing I will tell you all about watching last nights game............Man do I miss the old Chicago Stadium crowd. That place rocked and even being the away team you love to watch a game played in that stadium. I dont know if it is the new arena or what but man was that the quietest home crowd I have ever heard.
Years of Wirtz running that team into the ground have taken their toll. The fans know they don't have a winner, aren't building toward one, and that Wirtz doesn't care about anything other than running that franchise on the cheap (I still can't figure out how Havlat & Khabibulin ended up there with those contracts).

If they ever get a glimmer of real hope I think the fanbase there would rebound.

optimus2861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2006, 10:05 AM
SOLR

Like I said in another thread, recall Kost, put some more fire under Sergei's ***, the guy needs to wake up.

SOLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2006, 10:20 AM
Rahan

Good work znk. Unfortunately they'll keep their blindfolds on and continue pretending the habs are pathetic.. You know how those guys are. They'll never see the truth even if you stick it in front of their nose like you just did.

Rahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2006, 10:25 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

That's the exact reason when I was sad that we lost obviously 'cause I believe the Hawks were ready to be beaten but Bulin wasn't. But that's the same reason why I wasn't dissapointed by last night's effort, I'm usually, perhaps too critical some times, but wasn't dissapoited in last night's effort. We had our chances, didn't capitalized, it happens.

Somebody will have to pay for that Saturday......

Good Job znk!

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2006, 10:38 AM
DicAnns

Thanks for the clip ZNK... i only had radio for yesterday's game so it's good do see at least a couple sequences!

I love that we're finally winning battles along the board!
That's how our 1st and 3rd line put pressure on the D... and it's our weakness on the 2nd line... hopefully hif Perez gets moved there, he'll take this role.
Nice plays by Niinimaa also! did he play like that the whole game?!

DicAnns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2006, 10:49 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Jesus Christ, people need to relax. It's as if Samsonov is the only player in the NHL off to a slow start. Have you looked at Martin St. Louis' stats lately? What about Ovechkin? Only 2 goals in 5-6 games! Better trade him!

I think moving him onto the third line for now is a good idea to try and wake him up but the people practically suggesting we should put him on waivers really need to give it a rest. There's always going to be somebody on your team who looks like he's underperforming, that's just how it is. As soon as Samsonov leaves (or improves), we'll find somebody else to pick on.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2006, 10:55 AM

Switch Plekanec/Koivu

I know alot of people here are opposed to touching the first line...but do any of you think they might just try to switch Pleks and Koivu?

It's just a thought.

Plekanec has good chemistry with Higgins, we all know that.

Koivu can play with anyone, and he might be just what Samsonov needs to get back on track.

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2006, 10:58 AM
Ludo

why change a winning combination? There's plenty of guys on lines 3 and 4 that deserve a shot at the 2nd line if S-P-K can't get it working right (ie. Perezhogin, Lats, Bonk, etc.)

Is it just me or does Bonk seem to have a tiny little offensive spark in him early this year?

Ludo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2006, 10:59 AM
GoneAway

vCash:
eeesh...

I dunno know about that. Koivu's line has been on fire.

If anything, I'd move Perez up to the 2nd.

Old
10-19-2006, 11:02 AM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Dismantling the first line would just send the wrong message IMO, no matter the intent. There's no better chemistry on this team than the Higgins - Koivu duo and to me breaking up a winning combo just because others are struggling could spell disaster.

There's 3 lines Carbo can shuffle, he can even work with callups, but please, do not mess with the first line. Personally I think the Perezhogin / Samsonov switch was just what the doctor ordered. Kudos to Mike8 for bringing it up earlier.

Munchausen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2006, 11:07 AM
Tuggy

vCash: 50
Is breaking up our top line worth the gamble that it *might* wake up Samsonov? I don't think so personally. Like already mentioned, I like what I saw from Perezhogin last night playing on that line. But this creates another problem...where to play Samsonov. Can he play with Bonk and Johnson...sure he can but then we use would that line be used for? Samsonov isn't exactly the greatest checking forward in the league and that line is designed to play a "shut down" role.

Either way, I vote no for breaking up the top line. They seem to create chances almost every shift.

Tuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2006, 11:25 AM
flappuck

I'd rather switch Plekanec with Bonk.

flappuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2006, 11:33 AM
Jakomyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tout ptit View Post
Bingo...

I'd try either the Plekanec-Bonk Switch or the Samsonov-Perezhogin Switch

Jakomyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2006, 11:35 AM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

Separating Bonk and Johnson would be a mistake, I think.

coolguy21415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tout ptit View Post
Same. I don't see what Plekanec has done to deserve playing on the top line; Bonk has been very good, and he might bring the big body, corner and front of the net presence that's been lacking on the 2nd line. That line is just all perimeter, all soft right now.

Plekanec just looks out of his element on the 2nd line (though again, the 2nd line troubles are not all his fault). We know he has good chemistry with Perezhogin, and he played pretty well on the 3rd line last year. Johnson can play well with anyone, and is solid enough in all situations so as to make any player of any style better.

Souffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludo View Post
why change a winning combination? There's plenty of guys on lines 3 and 4 that deserve a shot at the 2nd line if S-P-K can't get it working right (ie. Perezhogin, Lats, Bonk, etc.)

Is it just me or does Bonk seem to have a tiny little offensive spark in him early this year?
Yes thats because he becomes an UFA at season end.

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2006, 11:36 AM
Nobak

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Jesus Christ, people need to relax. It's as if Samsonov is the only player in the NHL off to a slow start. Have you looked at Martin St. Louis' stats lately? What about Ovechkin? Only 2 goals in 5-6 games! Better trade him!
But we haven't seen every one of Ovechkin and St. Louis' games. We don't know if their stats reflect their play.
Besides, they're not on my team so I couldn't care less if they're struggling.

If people are stating Samsonov is struggling and you disagree, you're essentially saying that since we're early in the season, it's fine for him to keep playing badly.

I wouldn't be too sure about the Samsonov's demotion in itself, but there's no arguing that Perezhogin has also earned the resulting promotion.

Nobak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2006, 11:38 AM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Yes thats because he becomes an UFA at season end.
Contract years make for illusions.
I have mixed feelings about whether to re-sign Bonk at the end of the season, or just keep Plekanec as a third-line centre, and then sign a UFA centre. We all saw how well signing UFAs went this past offseason. Something will give before the season's finished, I'm sure.

Old
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
I don't disagree that Samsonov is struggling, but I'm saying that it's ridiculous to suggest trading him when we're only 6 games into the season.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

I would try to switch 2 players.

Mike Johnson goes on the 2nd line with Pleks and Kovy, and Samsonov plays with Perezhogin and Bonk.

We get some extra size on the 2nd line and Johnson could score goals when playing in Toronto a few years back he scored alot of them.Samsonov brings more speed to the 3rd line and thats what Perezhogin needs IMO.

We'll see but if Samsonov keeps playing like this he will soon find him self commentaring a game in the RDS boot!

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2006, 11:44 AM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

The pairings that I don't want to see broken up are: Koivu-Higgins, and Bonk-Johnson. The rest can be tinkered with.

I wonder if swapping Kovalev and Ryder would improve things? That way, at least there would be finishers on both the top two lines. I'm not saying that will help Samsonov necessarily, but it might spread out some of the scoring.

Old
10-19-2006, 11:44 AM
GoneAway

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
I would try to switch 2 players.

Mike Johnson goes on the 2nd line with Pleks and Kovy, and Samsonov plays with Perezhogin and Bonk.

We get some extra size on the 2nd line and Johnson could score goals when playing in Toronto a few years back he scored alot of them.Samsonov brings more speed to the 3rd line and thats what Perezhogin needs IMO.

We'll see but if Samsonov keeps playing like this he will soon find him self commentaring a game in the RDS boot!
I'd rather see Bonk move up than Johnson. Bonk seems to have a better vision of the ice which would gel well with the highly skilled wingers in Samsonov and Kovy

Old
10-19-2006, 11:45 AM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Nick View Post
I'm sorry to sound like a Perezhogin freak again (which I'm not), but his defensive game is almost flawless since he came back from Hamilton last year; watch him when he's along the boards in his own zone, he's so good at talking the puck away from an opponent or simply neutralizing him... sometimes it makes me wonder about how usefull he can be on a third line, even though the points aren't comming.
I agree. Even though I doubt his offensive upside as a sniper or major point producer, I think he has the potential to become a very good 2-way forward. There's no shame in being a 3rd line player if you can play sound defensive hockey, forecheck aggressively, and put up 40-50 points -- the kind of player that Bulis should've been, or at least, should have been more consistently.

Souffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2006, 11:46 AM
GoodKiwi

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
I don't disagree that Samsonov is struggling, but I'm saying that it's ridiculous to suggest trading him when we're only 6 games into the season.
Who exactly has suggested trading him?

GoodKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote