*OFFICIAL* London Knights 2013 Off-Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
06-25-2013, 02:22 PM
aresknights

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanTitov View Post
Will Max Domi's game translate to the NHL? Ill admit i havent seen him play a bunch but the 3-4 London games iv seen he was a stand out player. its an extremely small sample size, thats why i ask.

Can i get a quick scouting report on this guy form someone who has seen him play in a nightly basis?
I've seen him a lot as a season ticket holder.
Could tell right away he's got a good compete level, real good vision.
Good shot ( thou at times misses the net trying to pick corners.)
Great stick handler in tight, strong on the puck.
Very determined blueline in, still needs work on Def positioning (as do many skilled jr age players)
Willing to go to the dirty areas to score.
Has played huge in some big games and disappeared in some
Low centre of gravity, strong legs, and very shifty and quick making it tough to knock off puck in O zone.
Takes some bad penalties outta frustration ( stick fouls)
Sometimes tries to do too much solo.
Determined to be a pro and has all the advantages of great training and plays on a team that's graduated many a NHLer.
I think he makes his mark in the show for sure. Eventually a 2nd liner?

Old
06-25-2013, 02:35 PM
GermanTitov

Quote:
Originally Posted by aresknights View Post
I've seen him a lot as a season ticket holder.
Could tell right away he's got a good compete level, real good vision.
Good shot ( thou at times misses the net trying to pick corners.)
Great stick handler in tight, strong on the puck.
Very determined blueline in, still needs work on Def positioning (as do many skilled jr age players)
Willing to go to the dirty areas to score.
Has played huge in some big games and disappeared in some
Low centre of gravity, strong legs, and very shifty and quick making it tough to knock off puck in O zone.
Takes some bad penalties outta frustration ( stick fouls)
Sometimes tries to do too much solo.
Determined to be a pro and has all the advantages of great training and plays on a team that's graduated many a NHLer.
I think he makes his mark in the show for sure. Eventually a 2nd liner?

Thanks. Thats pretty much what i saw even in a small sample. Being a Pens fan iv had alot of interest in the Knights games when they have come on TV. With the possibily of trading Letang for a 1st im wondering if Pens would draft him. I know Lemieux is good friends with Tie Domi so its possible. I was alittle afraid of his size and style of play translating to the NHL

Old
06-25-2013, 03:29 PM
Knights77
Gongshow Ninja

Quote:
Thanks. Thats pretty much what i saw even in a small sample. Being a Pens fan iv had alot of interest in the Knights games when they have come on TV. With the possibily of trading Letang for a 1st im wondering if Pens would draft him. I know Lemieux is good friends with Tie Domi so its possible. I was alittle afraid of his size and style of play translating to the NHL
I agree with the 2nd liner projection and analysis of his skills....however this is of course if he can avoid getting his head taken off by a larger man during one of his temper tantrums. He is a spaz and could end up suspended for a good junk of games for a stick swinging incident as he refuses to drop his gloves, but he loves laying the lumber. If he doesn't calm down, or learn to adminster proper retribution, somebody gunna get a hurt real bad

Old
06-25-2013, 04:47 PM
Crottenham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knights77 View Post
I agree with the 2nd liner projection and analysis of his skills....however this is of course if he can avoid getting his head taken off by a larger man during one of his temper tantrums. He is a spaz and could end up suspended for a good junk of games for a stick swinging incident as he refuses to drop his gloves, but he loves laying the lumber. If he doesn't calm down, or learn to adminster proper retribution, somebody gunna get a hurt real bad
Sounds like you just described Brad (little ball of hate) Marchand!

Normally, NHL teams always have a Lucic, Orr, etc. to ride shotgun for the pests of the world.....

Old
06-26-2013, 08:33 AM
GermanTitov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crottenham View Post
Sounds like you just described Brad (little ball of hate) Marchand!

Normally, NHL teams always have a Lucic, Orr, etc. to ride shotgun for the pests of the world.....

You beat me to it. Brad Marchand clone

Old
06-26-2013, 10:46 AM
nelli27

Quote:
You beat me to it. Brad Marchand clone
I disagree with that assessment of Domi. He's pure skill, and while it's true that he does use his stick (slash, etc.), he won't make a name for himself as an "agitator". He is not a Marchand, Robeiro clone simply because he will never play the role of "pest". Domi will agitate but is no 'agitator'---look for him to excel in the NHL as a skilled forward. He is a great skater, great hands, good passer. He will need to improve his defensive play (in his own zone) to be a complete player. Size may be somewhat of a concern, but I don't think it will prevent him from putting up impressive numbers. Just my take...

Old
06-26-2013, 11:49 AM
aresknights

Agreed Nelli, I don't see him as a Marchand type.
A lot of big jr scoters do change their styles when they go to the show ( Bolland was a huge scorer and now a good scorer, agitator, Dforward) but agreed, I don't think Domi goes agitator role. He'll give the odd shot and take a penalty here n there but that's it IMO.
Kid wants to be a scoring machine.

Old
06-26-2013, 11:54 AM
Crottenham

Quote:
Agreed Nelli, I don't see him as a Marchand type.
A lot of big jr scoters do change their styles when they go to the show ( Bolland was a huge scorer and now a good scorer, agitator, Dforward) but agreed, I don't think Domi goes agitator role. He'll give the odd shot and take a penalty here n there but that's it IMO.
Kid wants to be a scoring machine.
At his size, he better be otherwise he will be a career AHLer.....his dad carved out a niche with his hard head and penchant to take on all-comers, despite his size.

Old
06-26-2013, 04:43 PM
tjziel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crottenham View Post
At his size, he better be otherwise he will be a career AHLer.....his dad carved out a niche with his hard head and penchant to take on all-comers, despite his size.
Max Domi Comparison: Brad Marchand, Mike Cammalleri
Bo Horvat Comparisin: Patrice Bergeron, Dave Bolland
Nikita Zadorov Comparison: Anton Volchenkov, Brent Seabrook

Old
06-26-2013, 05:54 PM
nelli27

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjziel View Post
what's with Domi and Marchand comparisons? As I stated before, Domi won't make a name for himself as a "pest" or "agitator" (although he does get under the skin of opponents at times). He'll be a point producer and not a "disturber".
As for Horvat, I think he compares to Logan Couture in so far as he's skilled at both ends of the ice; smart player; can score; kill penalties, etc...

Old
06-26-2013, 07:16 PM
poisonivy
05, 12, 13 Champs

You see the Domi/Marchand comparisons because they're both left shots, short and stocky, and have an up-tempo, skilled game. And they both have some "pest" qualities. Marchand is a 30 goal scorer on the 2nd line in the NHL on a good team. I think that's a realistic spot for Domi one day.

Old
06-26-2013, 09:30 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knights4Cup View Post
You see the Domi/Marchand comparisons because they're both left shots, short and stocky, and have an up-tempo, skilled game. And they both have some "pest" qualities. Marchand is a 30 goal scorer on the 2nd line in the NHL on a good team. I think that's a realistic spot for Domi one day.
In the NHL Marchand will fight. This allows him to chirp, slash and face wash guys. Max Domi will have to fight to be able to play that role at the NHL level. I dont think Max will ever intimidate and be such the super pest that Marchand is. I do not see him fighting in the NHL at all.

I think Domi has more skill than Marchand, but not as tough. Domi needs to start putting some interest in the defensive zone and back-checking and becoming a more complete player. He should have a long NHL career. I could see Domi getting in the 50-65 point range for parts of his NHL career.

Old
06-26-2013, 10:06 PM
Knights77
Gongshow Ninja

Quote:
Domi = St. Louis
Horvat = Getzlaf
Those would be the 'high-end' comparisons.

My point which I made, which then started the Marchand comparisons for Domi I think was taken te wrong way. He doesnt use his stick to agitate and to be a pest. My point is he never fights and is a spaz...to the point he will cross check you in the mouth or two-hand you instead of dropping the gloves when somebody gets under his skin. That aint Marchand. The kid needs to learn some patience and develop a bit thicker skin, and find another way to retaliate or he IS going to get hurt. But like I said he is still a kid and he'll figure it out.

Old
06-26-2013, 10:15 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Domi = St. Louis
Horvat = Getzlaf
Those would be the 'high-end' comparisons.

My point which I made, which then started the Marchand comparisons for Domi I think was taken te wrong way. He doesnt use his stick to agitate and to be a pest. My point is he never fights and is a spaz...to the point he will cross check you in the mouth or two-hand you instead of dropping the gloves when somebody gets under his skin. That aint Marchand. The kid needs to learn some patience and develop a bit thicker skin, and find another way to retaliate or he IS going to get hurt. But like I said he is still a kid and he'll figure it out.
Good point, I kind of view him as Marty St louis Light.

I dont know the kid, but from many interviews Ive seen him in, he seems arrogant to a fault. I am not convinced he is this way, as I dont personally know him, but my suspicions are there. When he goes down on one knee for that Celly against Kitchener, It seems to add more weight to what i percieve. The cheap shots he commits also are part of this. At the NHL combine interviews, he did really poorly in my opinion. He was robotic, he answered questions that werent even asked. Like he was reading a script. His body language was saying "get me out of here".

Old
06-27-2013, 01:42 PM
Knights77
Gongshow Ninja

2013/2014 Schedule

http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/s...014-all/team/8

So the schedule for next year has been released. I have already marked the two games in January (home and away) against Mississauga so I can watch this seasons rookie of the year Sean Day. Still say the kid is going to be amazing and the teams who passed on him will regret it

I also noticed that the Eastern road trip has been moved from the dead of winter to November. Dang I was going to plan on going, now I have to change up a few things. They also changed the days too, instead of Fri, Sat night followed by Sunday afternoon, they go Thursday night in Ottawa, Fri, Sat then home. I can tell you this though, they will be staying in a different hotel in Kingston

Old
06-27-2013, 04:15 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/s...014-all/team/8

So the schedule for next year has been released. I have already marked the two games in January (home and away) against Mississauga so I can watch this seasons rookie of the year Sean Day. Still say the kid is going to be amazing and the teams who passed on him will regret it

I also noticed that the Eastern road trip has been moved from the dead of winter to November. Dang I was going to plan on going, now I have to change up a few things. They also changed the days too, instead of Fri, Sat night followed by Sunday afternoon, they go Thursday night in Ottawa, Fri, Sat then home. I can tell you this though, they will be staying in a different hotel in Kingston

Other observations/notes

Knights play 4 of their 1st 6 at home,8 of the 1st 13 and 12 of the 1st 18 at the comfy confines of Bud Gardens
Ldn fans will Connor Macdavid all 3 times before Dec,Oct 25,Nov 3 and Nov 22
Ldn fans will not see Windsor at home ,post trade deadline as all 3 games are before
Christmas with the last home game vs Spits Dec 6
Knights last rd game at Windsor is Family Day Feb 18
Knights will finish 4 of the final 5 reg season games on the road
Finally,I noticed on the schedule knowing its early,the Knights only face 1 known
contender from Jan 19 until Mar 15 when the play at Saginaw,and I am speaking of
both conferences as of now

Old
06-27-2013, 05:02 PM
Knights77
Gongshow Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylegend11 View Post
Other observations/notes

Knights play 4 of their 1st 6 at home,8 of the 1st 13 and 12 of the 1st 18 at the comfy confines of Bud Gardens
Ldn fans will Connor Macdavid all 3 times before Dec,Oct 25,Nov 3 and Nov 22
Ldn fans will not see Windsor at home ,post trade deadline as all 3 games are before
Christmas with the last home game vs Spits Dec 6
Knights last rd game at Windsor is Family Day Feb 18
Knights will finish 4 of the final 5 reg season games on the road
Finally,I noticed on the schedule knowing its early,the Knights only face 1 known
contender from Jan 19 until Mar 15 when the play at Saginaw,and I am speaking of
both conferences as of now
Good observations. I think the 'not facing a contender' near the end is 1)based on what we know now (you did say 'known') 2)is a bad thing...you want to be playing our best and best competition leading up to the playoffs. Points shouldnt matter for the Knights at that stage.

Old
06-27-2013, 06:11 PM
SimonKnightsman

Quote:
Wuts with all these comparisons.

Why not wait til they hit pro and their stride......every single player is different from the next, yes most do have helmets and sticks.

And the Max Domi bashes should just push off at any point you feel comfy. I am so sick of hearing Max bashes since this kid arrived. Not many have gone through what he has sinc being 10 years old itch the old man playing AC centre while young Max has Toronto Sun, Star, Globe following him constantly to his culmination with the Don Millls Flyers.

I lik Max,s game and ain't nobody getting and crap over on him.

He doesn't deserve a free ride we reserve that for the Pens.....again.

If Domi choked as bad as Malkin and Crosby the last 2 years.....yeah ok. But at 16- 17 yr old season he was on Memorial Cup teams.

That doesn't just happen by mistake.

Old
06-27-2013, 10:26 PM
Knights77
Gongshow Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonKnightsman View Post
Wuts with all these comparisons.

Why not wait til they hit pro and their stride......every single player is different from the next, yes most do have helmets and sticks.

And the Max Domi bashes should just push off at any point you feel comfy. I am so sick of hearing Max bashes since this kid arrived. Not many have gone through what he has sinc being 10 years old itch the old man playing AC centre while young Max has Toronto Sun, Star, Globe following him constantly to his culmination with the Don Millls Flyers.

I lik Max,s game and ain't nobody getting and crap over on him.

He doesn't deserve a free ride we reserve that for the Pens.....again.

If Domi choked as bad as Malkin and Crosby the last 2 years.....yeah ok. But at 16- 17 yr old season he was on Memorial Cup teams.

That doesn't just happen by mistake.
Well lets see. Its draft time, and it is the time of year that for fun everyone does or reads up on mock drafts especially regarding their fav NHL team. And each of us know what our team needs (ie: Leafs need a centreman) so in doing this we prognosticate who our team will take and why. Which leads to what these kids will turn out, or what we think they will turn out like. Its fun to play armchair QB, so thats what is with all the comparisons.
I dont recall people crapping on Domi during these comparisons. In fact they are quite complimentary. I did call him a spaz and warn that he keep his stick in check when he loses his temper...sorry boss but thats a fact. Season ticket holder and the last stick artist I saw wearing green and gold was Jordan Shine but at least he fought. My point was Domi needs to cool it with the stick...for his own safety. Or, start laying out some real nice well times body checks like he showed in the memorial cup. Hes gonna be a good one, just needs time...and comparisons will always be around because either it is a sign of 'i hope he ends up like this guy' or 'he sucks like this guy did and i feel good about myself cuz i think im right'.
Either way, isnt what all this discussion/debate is all about?

Old
06-28-2013, 03:47 AM
SimonKnightsman

i am more worried about the flying elbows out there right now disquised as checks when they are clear head shots. These are far more dangerous that stick jabs.

If Max slots into a team around 12 and plays out his last year hosting a Memorial Cup he make a fine point producer with some edge.

I stilll love his one two burst when he leaves guys sitting in his dust then makes you guess where he he throwing it..pass or snipe is coming and that's just natural ability.

Old
06-30-2013, 04:33 PM
aresknights

Bo goes to the Canucks at 9. Basically one for one with Schneider.
Domi to Phoenix ( or wherever)
Next up Zadorov

Old
06-30-2013, 07:41 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Bo goes to the Canucks at 9. Basically one for one with Schneider.
Domi to Phoenix ( or wherever)
Next up Zadorov
I hope they can develop him properly. The Canucks messed up how they dealt with Hodgson. Horvat reminds me of Johnny Toews(light). Can do almost everything.

Congrat's to Remi Elie as well. Definately an NHL player in the future. Love his speed and grit. Great 5th round pick in the OHL draft by the Knights.

Old
06-30-2013, 09:28 PM
poisonivy
05, 12, 13 Champs

Horvat, Zadorov, Domi, Elie, Platzer all drafted through 4 rounds. Not surprised that Elie and Platzer went higher than ranked. They're quality players who will do well in bigger roles this season. Platzer will probably be a third liner. I think Elie will have a 25-30 goal year. Would love to see him on Horvat's line for a full season.

Old
06-30-2013, 10:06 PM
hockeylegend11

Add Miles Liberati to the list of drafted players chosen in the 7th rd by Vancouver

Old
06-30-2013, 10:19 PM
hockeylegend11

Was surprised that Matt Rupert was not selected today in the draft,as much as i like
Platzer I would have taken Rupert before him

Closed Thread