HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

sticks

Old
06-24-2013, 06:04 PM
hybrid moments pass
Rookie User

vCash: 500
sticks

Hi guys,
I want something
Something that i used to have (no, not my dignity...)
When I was a kid, my parents bought me my first hockey stick, about 19 years ago
I do not remember the brand, I havent seen any pics of me with it
but I remember it was white, and pretty sure it had red lettering/logos
Mark Messier stick of the NY Rangers
It was a wooden stick, little to no curve in it (if I remember correctly, I was 12...)

I want one again
he's my favorite player, and that was my first stick I ever had

any idea how to look up what it might be? brand etc
When I google 'mark messier stick' its a lot of autographed stuff of HIS used sticks
I am asking here cause I dont know where to look/ask

This is my first post - I hope that Im not messing up already
Though my favorite team is the Rangers, hoping the Blackhawks pull off the W tonight!

hybrid moments pass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 07:58 PM
Disengage

Probably a Titan stick.

Disengage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 08:21 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

19-20yrs ago wouldve been 93-94, and Im pretty sure he had a a deal with Louisville back then. He did use Sherwoods, tried out Artis, Titan etc, so entirely possible its the stick as pictured above. Too bad you cant remember the make. If you google Messier with key words like "stick, cards, images" and the year 1994, you'll find pictures of him in-game, still shots with sticks.... good luck!

Killion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 09:06 AM
x BEUKEBOOM x
Buuuuuuuuuuuk !

Titan was my first guess too but he did have that deal with Louisville.

x BEUKEBOOM x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 09:14 AM
x BEUKEBOOM x
Buuuuuuuuuuuk !

Looking through Gettyimages it seems he used Sherwood in his late Oilers years then when he came to the Rangers used a white with blue letters Louisville or Black Louisville.

x BEUKEBOOM x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 12:31 AM
Killion
Global Moderator

Ya its weird. A lot of these players, Messier included, despite having sponsorship deals would from time-time try-out or sign competitive equipment or sticks so its sometimes hard to tell. But Im pretty sure he did indeed have a deal with Louisville while with the Rangers, also entirely possible & probable they produced batches of white shafted red lettered sticks as promotional items.... Hillerich & Bradsby, the manufacturers of Louisville Slugger bats & baseball equipment acquired Wally Enterprises of Ontario in 1966, a company who made hockey sticks (croquet mallets, pool tables etc). Re-designed & re-branded them. Wally hockey sticks were absolutely bottom of the barrel discount rack through the 50's & early 60's when Northlands & CCM ruled, the Louisvilles originally like the Wallys yer basic 2X4 but they did make huge improvements thereafter, great products.

Old
06-26-2013, 01:16 AM
tjcurrie

I would say a Louisville too.

Probably my favorite stick. Would kill to get my hands on an old white w/green ala North Stars. Hint hint.

tjcurrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 09:25 PM
hybrid moments pass
Rookie User

it may have been a louisville, im googling and googling and not finding what im looking for
i need to call louisville and see if they can offer any help on this

i just think itd be nice to have since it was my first stick and my favorite player
dang shame i dont have it anymore

Old
06-26-2013, 09:39 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybrid moments pass View Post
i just think itd be nice to have since it was my first stick and my favorite player dang shame i dont have it anymore
I know the feeling only too well. Seems my hockey stick collection from my childhood, sticks I used along with several signed Northlands & CCM's (dont even ask by whom, make ya cry) wound up having the blades cut-off, the shafts used to provide support for steak tomato plants; all of my goalie equipment, including 2 custom made Greg Harrison masks, team jerseys etc, all vanishing long long ago.

Old
06-27-2013, 10:30 AM
hybrid moments pass
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
I know the feeling only too well. Seems my hockey stick collection from my childhood, sticks I used along with several signed Northlands & CCM's (dont even ask by whom, make ya cry) wound up having the blades cut-off, the shafts used to provide support for steak tomato plants; all of my goalie equipment, including 2 custom made Greg Harrison masks, team jerseys etc, all vanishing long long ago.
i dont even know what happened to my stick actually
i know the blade was chipped up real bad (all wood stick, played street hockey with it), so it probably just went to the dump
my fathers house, where I grew up, is being rented by some people, but the garage still has his/our stuff in it. I keep hoping I'll go over there one day and find it in the attic or something. but no luck.

at the least, i have my SECOND stick of another player I really like
an easton Roenick stick with an aluminum shaft and plastic blade. I know, its not what he used, but I got lots of enjoyment out of it and its still in great condition really.

Old
06-27-2013, 10:56 AM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybrid moments pass View Post
...my fathers house, where I grew up, is being rented by some people, but the garage still has his/our stuff in it. I keep hoping I'll go over there one day and find it in the attic or something. but no luck....
Theres an old saying that we can never go home again, and its quite true. I find comfort in the memories of things past. Any replacement a mere copy, a fake. Sure you can probably find a replacement on ebay, perhaps through a sports memorabilia dealer, but it wont be the same. Better you should just treasure the memories. Far more satisfying Ive found. Theres just no way to physically replace personal things like that. Go scour the beams overhead, exhaustive search of the old house, and if you dont find the original, I wouldnt bother even looking for a copy, a substitute, because thats all it will ever be.

Old
06-27-2013, 06:33 PM
hybrid moments pass
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
Theres an old saying that we can never go home again, and its quite true. I find comfort in the memories of things past. Any replacement a mere copy, a fake. Sure you can probably find a replacement on ebay, perhaps through a sports memorabilia dealer, but it wont be the same. Better you should just treasure the memories. Far more satisfying Ive found. Theres just no way to physically replace personal things like that. Go scour the beams overhead, exhaustive search of the old house, and if you dont find the original, I wouldnt bother even looking for a copy, a substitute, because thats all it will ever be.

wise words, thanks man