HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

STU Tommies

Closed Thread

Old
06-24-2013, 04:13 PM
STUTOMMIES

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by STUTOMMIES View Post
It is down to four now. Should find out on Monday.
And it continues…..

…..Should find out on Tuesday.

If I write this again tomorrow, someone please come find me and put me out of my misery. Please.

Old
06-26-2013, 12:59 PM
SnipeShow91

Matt Eagles wrote this on his facebook wall and he wants more people to read it to get the word out:

Today I was reminded why Michael Eagles is my idol. For the past few weeks he has been abused by some "knowledgeable" people in the Fredericton community. People who have no idea how much of himself he poured into the Men's Hockey program at St. Thomas. All the while, he has never looked to point fingers. He has never mentioned that he had nothing to do with a team that scored 47 goals this year. He has never talked bad about a coach who lied to both players and supporters about our annual budget, or whether he was allowed to hire a trainer. All he has done is try to fix a mess that was caused by those "knowledgable" few forcing him to relinquish his coaching duties. What those people fail to realize, is that he was not the reason we struggled his last few years as head coach. He was the reason we never had a season where we scored as many goals as a team, as Kyle McAllister had points his rookie year. I love St. Thomas. The people there did everything they could to help me pursue my dream of attending medical school, and I could not have achieved it without them. However, I am upset by the opinions of some of our "loyal" supporters. Honestly, you don't deserve an AD like my father, not to mention a coach. That's too bad, because few, if any, AUS teams attract coaches as knowledgable and passionate as him. Tommies fans need to be careful what they wish for. The last two years, they've gotten it.

Old
06-26-2013, 01:16 PM
AUS Fan

Interesting post. I tend to agree with some of it as I have stated in the past that Mike did take the losses very personally when he was coaching. I can't speak to his thoughts on Troy. My experiences with Troy have been positive, but they have not been in a strict hockey sense as in Coach-GM-AD. I just hope this Soap Opera gets pre-empted by real news soon. Hire a coach, get some players, compete......

Old
06-26-2013, 02:32 PM
Nick Murray

Mike Reich took it a step further in shedding some light into the story. Stories are slowly starting to come out, and members of the "Mike Eagles hoarde" are finally starting to put down their pitchforks.

Hire a new coach already and get this [train] back on track.

Last edited by Nick Murray: 06-26-2013 at 02:54 PM. Reason: Edited profanity and grammar (yes, I correct my grammar)
Old
06-26-2013, 04:06 PM
SnipeShow91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Murray View Post
Mike Reich took it a step further in shedding some light into the story. Stories are slowly starting to come out, and members of the "Mike Eagles hoarde" are finally starting to put down their pitchforks.

Reicher is a guy off the ice like he is on the ice, dosen't hold back and is a true leader. A lot of the stuff with people (Mike Eagles Hoarde) who felt a positive impact with Troy, are the same people in any program, he made them feel really included in everything. Which is great. It builds and supports the team. It's the same at RMC with our loyal fans who travel all over Ontario and to West Point (and as STU Tommies fans will see in October, invading the GHC) because they feel they are a part of a team. Mike apparently didn't do a good job of it and Troy did so obviously everyone will side with Troy off the get go because they felt it was the gospel truth.

But it's a balancing act and if your players are now speaking out on how terrible of a coach you were to them (not showing up to practice, no video, no motivation), how can you really blame anyone BUT the coach. Can't blame Mike, he's not in the dressing room. The players are the ultimate insiders in sports because they see and live it. So if they think there was something lacking with the coach, then it has to be true.

That's going to be what the next coach has to do. Gardnier does it well, they are a great team on the ice, and they get a lot of support. Kelly Nobes of McGill has to balance all of the McGill alumni who put thousands of dollars into the program, with making sure his team goes out and wins OUA East titles every year. If the new coach balances the support and the team, STU Hockey will be fine and a force down the road.

Old
06-26-2013, 06:09 PM
gulag

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnipeShow91 View Post
Matt Eagles wrote this on his facebook wall and he wants more people to read it to get the word out:

Today I was reminded why Michael Eagles is my idol. For the past few weeks he has been abused by some "knowledgeable" people in the Fredericton community. People who have no idea how much of himself he poured into the Men's Hockey program at St. Thomas. All the while, he has never looked to point fingers. He has never mentioned that he had nothing to do with a team that scored 47 goals this year. He has never talked bad about a coach who lied to both players and supporters about our annual budget, or whether he was allowed to hire a trainer. All he has done is try to fix a mess that was caused by those "knowledgable" few forcing him to relinquish his coaching duties. What those people fail to realize, is that he was not the reason we struggled his last few years as head coach. He was the reason we never had a season where we scored as many goals as a team, as Kyle McAllister had points his rookie year. I love St. Thomas. The people there did everything they could to help me pursue my dream of attending medical school, and I could not have achieved it without them. However, I am upset by the opinions of some of our "loyal" supporters. Honestly, you don't deserve an AD like my father, not to mention a coach. That's too bad, because few, if any, AUS teams attract coaches as knowledgable and passionate as him. Tommies fans need to be careful what they wish for. The last two years, they've gotten it.
ok now its all troys fault.good bit of spin doctoring maybe.understand why matt is upset,it is his dad after all .have to agree though that mike is a good coach,alot better than some in the league.the problem is he could not recruit and his social grace with people who tried to help him was not good.mike had his chance to run the program and it did not work out,thats hockey.the whole a.d thing just made this a big mess.if the powers that be had a crystal ball i am sure they would of cut bait all together which would of been the best thing for the program going forward.real or perceived the situation is what it is..can it be fixed,i hope so.time will tell.

Old
06-26-2013, 06:13 PM
gulag

Quote:

what story..can you give us some info..

Old
06-26-2013, 06:48 PM
SnipeShow91

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulag View Post
ok now its all troys fault.good bit of spin doctoring maybe.understand why matt is upset,it is his dad after all .have to agree though that mike is a good coach,alot better than some in the league.the problem is he could not recruit and his social grace with people who tried to help him was not good.mike had his chance to run the program and it did not work out,thats hockey.the whole a.d thing just made this a big mess.if the powers that be had a crystal ball i am sure they would of cut bait all together which would of been the best thing for the program going forward.real or perceived the situation is what it is..can it be fixed,i hope so.time will tell.
I don't think it's spin doctoring at all. Players are always around and they know exactly the good and bad of the hockey team. Matt deleted the post because the intention was to say how proud he is of Mike for basically ignoring everything negative about it.

Old
06-26-2013, 07:13 PM
Schooner Guy

Quote:

Those are quite the allegations coming from Troy's Captain and a player who occupied a roster spot for an entire season so Troy could put him out for one shift in his last home game as Tommies head coach. I can't for the life of me figure out why Troy wouldn't hire a trainer if the funds were available to him (without affecting recruiting) but I suspect blood ties and emotion from the source are driving these allegations.

Old
06-26-2013, 07:30 PM
gulag

Quote:
I don't think it's spin doctoring at all. Players are always around and they know exactly the good and bad of the hockey team. Matt deleted the post because the intention was to say how proud he is of Mike for basically ignoring everything negative about it.
so snipe answer this one.should mike still be the coach and a.d. then...give us your opinion..

Old
06-26-2013, 07:41 PM
SnipeShow91

Quote:
so snipe answer this one.should mike still be the coach and a.d. then...give us your opinion..
Obviously he should be the AD. He shouldn't coach the team. But he has done wonders as an AD for St. Thomas.

Old
06-27-2013, 03:20 AM
Rob

Does anyone actually believe coach Ryan was the problem? Unless you want to blame him for the lack of recruits the answer is no.

It is also no secret that the team has had its budget slashed from the previous season.

Old
06-27-2013, 05:54 AM
Rob

Hope they get things fixed by September:

Quote:
Fredericton's newest arena has run into some mechanical problems and that has forced last-minute changes to summer recreation programs in the city.

Scott Brown, the property services manager in the city, said there is a problem with the geo-thermal unit used to make ice at the Grant-Harvey Centre, which opened last fall.

The city had planned to open a summer ice surface at the sports complex, but had to do some quick shuffling instead, using the city's other arena on the northside, said Brown.

"We were going to have our summer programming, which is ball hockey, inline skating and roller derby at Willie O'Ree [Place]," Brown said.

"So all we've done is move the off-ice programs to Grant-Harvey and then we're putting ice in at Willie O'Ree to accommodate our ice users, as of July 2."

City staff are currently working with contractors to determine whether the repairs will be covered by warranties, he said.

"Our technical staff were chasing this issue down," said Brown.

"We don't know all the details yet, although it will probably be likely a combination of a warranty covered by the general contractor, a warranty with the subcontractor and could be an insurance claim as well."

The $29.35-million facility was constructed by Foulem Construction Ltee., of Caraquet.

It features an Olympic-size ice surface with 500 seats for spectators and an NHL-size ice surface with 1,500 seats.

The City of Fredericton, federal and provincial governments all contributed to the cost of the project.

Willie O'Ree Place features two NHL-sized ice surfaces.

Old
06-27-2013, 06:15 AM
forecheck

Just hire a Coach or let Mike Coach or do SOMETHING.. this whole soap opera is embarassing to the program and has nothing to do with Hockey..

I can't imagine any player who has options would choose to play for St Thomas in the near future.

The best thing really for the Tommies would be to see ME step down and start fresh with a strong new leader to rebuild the program.

Old
06-27-2013, 09:18 AM
RED ARMY EAST

New coach

Quote:
Don't be surprised if he does coach this year? Some have speculated that it could me Mike back at the wheel, especially with the new season just a few months away.
This team needs a new coach, who has strong recruiting ties, connections. A fresh start for Tommie followers, one who will take the time to receive the public, one who can work with the AD.
Do I blame Ryan for not getting along with the AD? No, as I believe he was hand cuffed with funding and it sounds like it got personal? The bottom line is that it is water under the bridge and the team needs a new direction.
This team still has a good fan base that most OUA and Canadawest teams would love to have. It's sport and someone has to finish last, just ask leaf fans. Dal has been hovering in the cellar for years, so why the talk of getting rid of the Men's program at STU? As, a loyal CIS hockey fan, it ticks me off to hear that s..t!
Mike to coach the team again wouldn't be a move in the right direction, wouldn't be received well among some old Rum Row faithful, that I can you for sure!

Old
06-27-2013, 11:23 AM
FreddtFoyle

Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think too many people had issues with Mike as a coach, or as a great person for that matter.

But he wasn't as good a recruiter as the coaches he was competing with. You can't be great at everything.

I wish folks could ratchet back some of the Team Mike vs Team Troy rhetoric, but then, I don't have a skin in that battle either.

Old
06-27-2013, 01:21 PM
rantfather

How short are the.memories!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddtFoyle View Post
Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think too many people had issues with Mike as a coach, or as a great person for that matter.

But he wasn't as good a recruiter as the coaches he was competing with. You can't be great at everything.

I wish folks could ratchet back some of the Team Mike vs Team Troy rhetoric, but then, I don't have a skin in that battle either.
It would NOT surprise me to see STU administration re-assign the men's coaching job to the author of this whole mess.

RECRUITING, RECRUITING, RECRUITING,

Never enough of the quality required at the AUS level.

Another mistake of this magnitude would set the program back another 10 years.

Old
06-27-2013, 05:57 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by forecheck View Post
The best thing really for the Tommies would be to see ME step down and start fresh with a strong new leader to rebuild the program.
I am trying to stay out of the whole Eagles debate, but this line of thinking always irritates me a bit. Yes, I get that the hockey program is the flagship of the school and it has obviously struggled mightily in recent years, but correct me if I'm wrong but haven't most, if not all, of the other sports done very well since ME took over? If you want to criticize Eagles for hockey don't forget to give him some credit for the success of the other programs during his tenure. Hockey isn't the be all end all and just because they haven't done well recently shouldn't mean you get rid of the guy, especially not when all of the other teams are doing quite well. Heck, you could probably argue that STU has more competitive teams on a whole, year in and year out, than UNB (who doesn't have an AUS title outside of hockey and volleyball since 2006).

Last edited by UNB Bruins Fan: 06-27-2013 at 07:02 PM.
Old
06-27-2013, 06:51 PM
cishockeyfan

I certainly understand Matt's frustration cause it is his father, but his post on Facebook was a extremely wrong thing to do his words went to far and were quite harsh.

To say Troy Ryan lied to his players for two years blaming budget cuts that were not true? What would Troys intentions ever be to not hire a trainer when he obviously needed one and the money be there?

Who are these other people who caused mike to not have success in his last few seasons coaching the team? Please explain?

Again I understand his frustration but his post may do more harm than good with the hockey public here in Freddy and anywhere else that has connections with the program.

Fact is what we do know is Mike Eagles is a good man, he was my neighbour across the road on the north side growing up, he played road hockey with all of us often. He was and is a really good coach. But he was a terrible recruiter that's no secret, he doesn't have the personality for it and his former players know it and some tried to help him such as Kyle Mcallister. He won coach of the year his first season because he inherited a great team who greatly underachieved under Smith the previous year, but year by year the teams talent got thinner and thinner because of recruiting.

As far as Troy goes you saw the difference in the team, they were disciplined and took loses with their heads up. In the past years STU losing badly would have caused the penalties tempers and cheap shots to start. I believe Troy had them on the right track but he was handcuffed.

But Matt says he was not? What's the real answer here or was this just frustration.

STU needs a coach quick cause they need a few good recruits and they are way behind the other teams, I believe they need a coach with CIS Recruiting experience.

Tom Coolen would be an obvious choice but highly unlikely but how about Dylan Taylor

Old
06-28-2013, 02:14 AM
rantfather

The continuous saga of STU Men's HOCKEY !

I understand a son defending his father and my rants have been.about his role as the.Men's hockey coach and recruiter of appropriate talent and NOT personal.

Although I believe ME has.been given far too much credit for the successes of the other sports at STU who have had the benefit of great coaches and leadership.

Not everybody has had the same positive experience with ME who for too long dismissed the good advice of others about appropriate talent for the Tommies.

I.did.NOT read anybodys Facebook about Troy's time as head coach.but do.know of the.numerous undermining events by his AD who did NOT support his coach and is one of the reasons.why Troy has.moved on.

ALL OF THAT IS OVER NOW AND IT IS PAST THE TIME THAT A SOLUTION SHOULD BE HAPPENING.

STU administration must.make a decision and get on with repairing the train wreck of MENS HOCKEY.

PS :I agree that Dylan Taylor would be a good candidate.

Last edited by rantfather: 06-28-2013 at 02:17 AM. Reason: Addition of a final.comment
Old
06-28-2013, 07:37 AM
Nick Murray

Quote:
what story..can you give us some info..
What I'm referring to is on Matt's Facebook post.

Last edited by Nick Murray: 06-28-2013 at 07:43 AM.
Old
06-28-2013, 08:23 AM
gulag

Quote:
What I'm referring to is on Matt's Facebook post.
what a sideshow this has become.why is it taking so long..did they have to poll the current members of the nhlpa to get an answer.M.E S WHOLE PROBLEM FROM THE START was alienating the people who really care about the program.look at the last selection committee i think one guy did not have nhl ties...yes these guys had connections to the program many years ago but they have moved on to other things.there were so many ex players who were willing to help at one point only to be snubbed because imo they were considered lesser thans..all it would of taken would of been hiring a recruiter to help with the process...problem solved....never happened and here we are....hearing rumours now cash flow is an issue with the program because some of the hockey supporters have bailed..all very sad..hope things can get settled soon...

Old
06-28-2013, 08:45 AM
AUS Fan

Dylan is an Island boy. I think he's still taking some courses at UPEI, so that may prevent his taking the job. STU needs a coach like Stieny , (who can make Chicken soup from Chicken chit), and that ain't gonna happen, especially if all this financial background stuff is real. Just do something, FFS. This is really getting tiresome.

Old
06-28-2013, 08:50 AM
Rob

There is probably a huge discussion going on about the direction of the men's program. Will this be their last season in the AUS? If so it is something that they would have to be up front about with the new coach and any new recruits.

Old
06-28-2013, 10:44 AM
FreddtFoyle

Former STU defenceman Pat Powers is the new head coach of the Tommies.

http://w3.stu.ca/stu/athletics/news/...aspx?id=151365

Closed Thread