HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Montreal and Toronto to Share WJC in 2015 & 2017

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-22-2013, 03:37 AM
  #26
Mr Writer
Registered User
 
Mr Writer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,623
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
No, you did not piss me off. But my point is that it's not a good time to mock Sweden's lack of success at WJC when we are getting worse on a yearly basis and have a federation too incompetent to improve things while they keep getting better.
I wasn't mocking, I was merely pointing out to our "friend" that, despite Sweden's recent success (BTW color me less than impressed at their 1 gold medal in 30 years) at the U20, and given that track record, does he really think it's appropriate to be taking shots considering our history of success at the tournament. The past few years have been off years for several reasons.. there's no harsher critic of Hockey Canada than I am, but I'm not about to let any one off the hook just because of that. Somebody wants to take a shot, they better know the score. The nature of junior hockey is cyclical. Are you old enough to remember the years 1998-05?


Last edited by Mr Writer: 06-22-2013 at 03:50 AM.
Mr Writer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2013, 03:45 AM
  #27
Mr Writer
Registered User
 
Mr Writer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,623
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post
So I assume the Bell Centre and Air Canada will host the games? If so I think the Canada games will have amazing atmospheres, but some of the others, not so much.
Yes you are right in assuming that.
I think it will be OK. In Calgary/Edmonton the average attendance was close to 15 thousand for the games not involving Canada. The Montreal Canadiens and Maple Leafs are partners in this, so 90% of the tickets to all the games go to their season ticket holders, who'll then pawn them off or corporations will dish them out to their employees and order them to go.

Mr Writer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2013, 04:40 AM
  #28
Huffman
Registered User
 
Huffman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2,302
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Writer View Post
I'm fully aware of Sweden's recent record at the juniors. 2 gold medals in 30 + years 1 on big ice and one on small ice....2 consecutive appearances in the gold medal game... very nice but less than stellar and doesn't really compare to our 10 consecutive gold medal appearances 2002-11 on big ice and small 15 gold in 30 + years on big ice and small.

If somebody wants to take a shot, better know the score.

And everybody can learn a thing or two from the other... did I say we couldn't or didn't need to?... Did I piss you off in one of my posts...because if I did, we can have it out in pm?
Canadians love to point out how little they care about the WC, the WJC was an even smaller thing in Sweden up until 2006 when the tournament was held in Leksand. Hockey fans barely knew the tournament was being played before that and it certainly wasn't showed on TV. Canada has always taken this tournament waay more seriously than any other country. The other countries have caught up and Canada better get used to being embarrassed in the semi finals every now and then.

Huffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2013, 05:10 AM
  #29
Mr Writer
Registered User
 
Mr Writer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,623
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffman View Post
Canadians love to point out how little they care about the WC, the WJC was an even smaller thing in Sweden up until 2006 when the tournament was held in Leksand. Hockey fans barely knew the tournament was being played before that and it certainly wasn't showed on TV. Canada has always taken this tournament waay more seriously than any other country. The other countries have caught up and Canada better get used to being embarrassed in the semi finals every now and then.
I have no problem with losing a hockey game. that's sport. But as I said if somebody wants to make a snide critique, i.e. take a shot, then be prepared to receive one. and I really couldn't give a **** on what the mass appeal of the U20 was pre 2006 in Sweden. And 2006 was Vancouver BC. 2007 was Leksand, Sweden. And who won that tournament in 2007? 22 players to a side play the game, they win it or lose it based on their skill and talent level... and whether or not 10 million people are watching in Canada or 2 million in Sweden makes no difference at all on the outcome. Go tell it to Forsberg, Markus Naslund and Niklas Sundtrom in 93...they really didn't take it all that seriously because well it didn't have mass appeal in Sweden at the time. A tournament in Sweden on big ice. a powerful Swedish side that scored an astounding 53 goals while giving up only 15 in settling for silver. Peter Forsberg set records with 24 assists and an unbelievable 31 points, while line-mates Markus Naslund and Niklas Sundstrom had 24 and 14 points respectively. Naslund also set a tournament record with 13 goals. But they really didn't take it all that seriously.


Last edited by Mr Writer: 06-22-2013 at 05:40 AM.
Mr Writer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2013, 06:48 AM
  #30
daver
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Country: Norfolk Island
Posts: 3,385
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffman View Post
Canadians love to point out how little they care about the WC, the WJC was an even smaller thing in Sweden up until 2006 when the tournament was held in Leksand. Hockey fans barely knew the tournament was being played before that and it certainly wasn't showed on TV. Canada has always taken this tournament waay more seriously than any other country. The other countries have caught up and Canada better get used to being embarrassed in the semi finals every now and then.
What are you saying, Sweden wasn't sending their best teams or they weren't trying hard enough until recently?

What does the popularity of the tourney in differnent countries have to do with results?

daver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2013, 09:45 AM
  #31
Mr Writer
Registered User
 
Mr Writer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,623
vCash: 500
And this will be my last comment on the subject, but just to reinforce my comment on the cyclical nature of junior hockey, for the upcoming 2014 U20 in Malmo, Sweden, I don't have Sweden being anywhere near a gold medal contender; in fact I don't even see them contending for a medal. The 1994/95 born players are not particularly strong or deep for Sweden. so, it's going to have to be a whole lot of home ice advantage and out of this world goaltending if Sweden hopes to capture a medal on home ice. On the other hand, 94 is not particularly great for Canada either, but if Hockey Canada is smart, (which they are not) but if they are finally able to analyze things correctly, they'd fill the roster with a whole lot of 1995 born players which is the most talent laden and deepest since the 1985 class.

Mr Writer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2013, 10:11 AM
  #32
kyle44
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 176
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Writer View Post
And this will be my last comment on the subject, but just to reinforce my comment on the cyclical nature of junior hockey, for the upcoming 2014 U20 in Malmo, Sweden, I don't have Sweden being anywhere near a gold medal contender; in fact I don't even see them contending for a medal. The 1994/95 born players are not particularly strong or deep for Sweden. so, it's going to have to be a whole lot of home ice advantage and out of this world goaltending if Sweden hopes to capture a medal on home ice. On the other hand, 94 is not particularly great for Canada either, but if Hockey Canada is smart, (which they are not) but if they are finally able to analyze things correctly, they'd fill the roster with a whole lot of 1995 born players which is the most talent laden and deepest since the 1985 class.
You don't see how a team that can return 12 players, a year older and more experienced, from a silver medal winning team, on home ice, can even compete for a medal? Thats a fairly haphazard statement to make. I am well aware of the fact that guys like Collberg, Forsberg, H. Lindholm may be in the AHL and unavailable, however, even if this were to be the case I still feel that this is a ridiculous inference given Sweden's potential roster. I fail to see how a roster that MAY include a collection of the following could not at least compete for a medal

Collberg
Forsberg
Wennberg
Sorensen
Sandberg
E. Lindholm
de la Rose
Burakowsky
Cyrus Rydberg
Wallmark
Nylander
Possler

H. Lindholm
Hagg
Djoos
Arnesson
J. Pettersson
Bystrom
Rasmus Andersson
Calle Andersson

Dansk


Last edited by kyle44: 06-24-2013 at 09:25 AM.
kyle44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2013, 10:30 AM
  #33
Mr Writer
Registered User
 
Mr Writer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,623
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle44 View Post
You don't see how a team that can return 12 players, a year older and more experienced, from a silver medal winning team, on home ice, can even compete for a medal? Thats a fairly haphazard statement to make. I am well aware of the fact that guys like Collberg, Forsberg, H. Lindholm may be in the AHL and unavailable, however, even if this were to be the case I still feel that this is a ridiculous inference given Sweden's potential roster.
Actually it's 11 by my count... 1 outstanding player in Philip Forsberg a few other good players, but the problem is replacing everybody else with 94/95 players. So, no, I don't have them as a medal contender for 2014. But once the team is named, once all teams are named then I'm sure to reevaluate. Right now, it's 1. USA 2. Russia 3. Canada. But I have little faith that Hockey Canada will pick the right team...as they'll go with a predominately 1994 team. and that puts us in the same boat as Sweden. I'd prefer to see a team Canada with at least 10 1995 born players (that includes Drouin/Mackinnon but the duo will not be available) As I said, if Hockey Canada can finally analyze things correctly and go with mostly 95s, then I make Canada a gold medal contender. We'll see how it goes.

Mr Writer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2013, 10:40 AM
  #34
kyle44
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 176
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Writer View Post
Actually it's 11 by my count... 1 outstanding player in Philip Forsberg a few other good players, but the problem is replacing everybody else with 94/95 players. So, no, I don't have them as a medal contender for 2014. But once the team is named, once all teams are named then I'm sure to reevaluate. Right now, it's 1. USA 2. Russia 3. Canada. But I have little faith that Hockey Canada will pick the right team...as they'll go with a predominately 1994 team. and that puts us in the same boat as Sweden. I'd prefer to see a team Canada with at least 10 1995 born players (that includes Drouin/Mackinnon but the duo will not be available) As I said, if Hockey Canada can finally analyze things correctly and go with mostly 95s, then I make Canada a gold medal contender. We'll see how it goes.
I guess I should have a notation next to returnees. As I'm sure you're aware of Hampus Lindholm was on the roster but was injured prior to the tournament, he would have easily been one of the best defensemen in the tournament, however, if you want to nitpick then yes the number of "returnees" excluding Lindholm will be 11. When evaluating team Canada I consider Hudon a "returnee" of sorts as he made the roster and participated in pre tournament games, so I did the same for Lindholm

kyle44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2013, 10:49 AM
  #35
Mr Writer
Registered User
 
Mr Writer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,623
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle44 View Post
I guess I should have a notation next to returnees. As I'm sure you're aware of Hampus Lindholm was on the roster but was injured prior to the tournament, he would have easily been one of the best defensemen in the tournament, however, if you want to nitpick then yes the number of "returnees" excluding Lindholm will be 11. When evaluating team Canada I consider Hudon a "returnee" of sorts as he made the roster and participated in pre tournament games, so I did the same for Lindholm
fair enough. It's a valid argument. Lets say 12. You see, I don't currently have Hudon making Team Canada. But that's because Drouin/Mackinnon still occupy spots. I won't change it until the season starts.

Mr Writer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2013, 07:00 PM
  #36
Xokkeu
Registered User
 
Xokkeu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Frozen
Country: Antarctica
Posts: 4,566
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Writer View Post
Yes you are right in assuming that.
I think it will be OK. In Calgary/Edmonton the average attendance was close to 15 thousand for the games not involving Canada. The Montreal Canadiens and Maple Leafs are partners in this, so 90% of the tickets to all the games go to their season ticket holders, who'll then pawn them off or corporations will dish them out to their employees and order them to go.
Perhaps the WJC is a big enough draw to overcome the general apathy that Torontonians have for Junior hockey. I just see the ACC totally empty with $200 tickets for Slovakia vs Finland. It's certainly going to be the biggest stage for the World Juniors pretty much ever and guaranteed to fill the IIHF and Hockey Canada's wallet to the point where it will probably spill into the St. Lawrence and float downstream.

Xokkeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 03:22 AM
  #37
Mr Writer
Registered User
 
Mr Writer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,623
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post
Perhaps the WJC is a big enough draw to overcome the general apathy that Torontonians have for Junior hockey. I just see the ACC totally empty with $200 tickets for Slovakia vs Finland. It's certainly going to be the biggest stage for the World Juniors pretty much ever and guaranteed to fill the IIHF and Hockey Canada's wallet to the point where it will probably spill into the St. Lawrence and float downstream.
As a former resident of our biggest city, I know all about the apathy Torontonians have for junior hockey, but I'm still not worried. There are enough junior hockey fans in Southern Ontario to compensate for Toronto. Ask the organizers of Buffalo 2011 how instrumental Southern Ontario was in their ticket sales. And as the medal rd. games are in Toronto, that's the carrot for Torontonians to buy event packages. With the medal rd in 2017 in Montreal, this will be a tougher marketing sell for Hockey Canada if Team Canada actually is in the group playing in Mtl in the prelim rd as well as the medal rd. We shall see how it all unfolds. And besides, I'm already registered for Tickets ...And I live a long way from T.O. I haven't been to a World Juniors in 10 years (I've been to 6 in N.A/Europe) so, if this is enough to get me to shell out the sort of coin HC is looking for (rest assured they are looking for record profits, the greedy a-holes they are) and travel a considerable distance to get there, then I'm sure there are a few other hundred thousand fans across the country or ocean willing to do the same. BTW my first U20 live was Red Deer/Calgary 95.


Last edited by Mr Writer: 06-24-2013 at 03:40 AM.
Mr Writer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 06:07 PM
  #38
usahockey22flyers
Classic Coburn...
 
usahockey22flyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: New Jersey, USA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,336
vCash: 500
Did this get confirmed yet?

usahockey22flyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 06:54 PM
  #39
Alberta tough
Registered User
 
Alberta tough's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Still on top!
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,191
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by usahockey22flyers View Post
Did this get confirmed yet?
http://www.hockeycanada.ca/en-ca/new...-championships

Alberta tough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2013, 09:29 AM
  #40
Snaggle
nice sauce
 
Snaggle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 85
vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by PantherboyHTR View Post
I heard you can sign up in an online lottery through hockey Canada for tickets. Anyone have a link for this?
I got selected for the lottery and I have access to buy tickets for both the Toronto and Montreal games. I already bought my Toronto tickets but I don't plan on going to the MTL games. If anyone wants my spot to purchase the MTL ones, PM me.

edit: the window to buy the MTL ones is now until Friday, November 22 at 10 p.m.


Last edited by Snaggle: 11-21-2013 at 09:34 AM.
Snaggle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2013, 10:35 AM
  #41
herrington2828
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 6
vCash: 500
I just bought 6 packages to Montreal and 4 for Toronto, so anyone interested in some individual tickets should contact me

herrington2828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2013, 06:09 PM
  #42
IcedTwoTimer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 48
vCash: 500
toronto wjc tickets

....


Last edited by IcedTwoTimer: 11-21-2013 at 06:09 PM. Reason: sb a pm
IcedTwoTimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2013, 07:07 PM
  #43
Jonnieboy15
Registered User
 
Jonnieboy15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Queensland
Country: Sweden
Posts: 230
vCash: 456
Are theses tickets for the 2015 or 2017 games? I am interested in tickets to the 2017 games in Montreal, preferably late group stages and playoffs.

Jonnieboy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2013, 08:29 AM
  #44
Snaggle
nice sauce
 
Snaggle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 85
vCash: 300
Nope, only 2015 is on sale.

Snaggle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2013, 10:55 AM
  #45
Quokka
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Regina, SK
Posts: 258
vCash: 500
I got my tickets for the Montreal games. Can't wait!

Quokka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2013, 01:02 PM
  #46
IcedTwoTimer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 48
vCash: 500
for anybody who signed up for this, check again today. i got my email but it was in spam - good thing i checked it.

going to TO & MON next year!

IcedTwoTimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 12:35 PM
  #47
JackSlater
Registered User
 
JackSlater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 2,983
vCash: 500
Ordered my tickets for Toronto. Congratulations to Russia, looks like you will be beating Canada in the gold medal game in 2015.

JackSlater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 12:50 PM
  #48
Kshahdoo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Moscow, Russia
Posts: 2,890
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSlater View Post
Ordered my tickets for Toronto. Congratulations to Russia, looks like you will be beating Canada in the gold medal game in 2015.
Hardly. But who knows...

Kshahdoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 01:35 PM
  #49
scout97
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 137
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedTwoTimer View Post
for anybody who signed up for this, check again today. i got my email but it was in spam - good thing i checked it.

going to TO & MON next year!
I didnt register for the lottery or have early access to any tickets but is it still possible to buy them when they come on sale to the general public on the 30th this month or am i out of luck.

scout97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 03:13 PM
  #50
scout97
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 137
vCash: 500
If anyone is selling ticket packages for toronto message me. Im only looking for one package or individual tickets to the the medal games.

scout97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:36 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.