HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Very positive game. 2nd line (merged)

Old
10-19-2006, 11:47 AM

vCash: 500
it was just a thought...the thing is moving Samsonov on the 3rd kind of defeats the purpose of having Bonk/Johnson play vs. the other teams top line, Samsonov would be a liability there. I also don't like the fact that it takes 2 of our 3 right handed shots, and puts them on the same line.

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2006, 11:49 AM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
it was just a thought
where does Plekanec's chemistry with Higgins come from? I've never seen them play together...

coolguy21415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2006, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedScull View Post
where does Plekanec's chemistry with Higgins come from? I've never seen them play together...
Last year and in Hamilton...it's been well documented that Plekanec and Higgins are great together, especially on the PK.

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2006, 11:53 AM
Habs_Apostle

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Jesus Christ, people need to relax. It's as if Samsonov is the only player in the NHL off to a slow start. Have you looked at Martin St. Louis' stats lately? What about Ovechkin? Only 2 goals in 5-6 games! Better trade him!

I think moving him onto the third line for now is a good idea to try and wake him up but the people practically suggesting we should put him on waivers really need to give it a rest. There's always going to be somebody on your team who looks like he's underperforming, that's just how it is. As soon as Samsonov leaves (or improves), we'll find somebody else to pick on.
I agree. In Sammy's defense, he's coming off a very emotional playoffs and is now trying to adjust to a new city/team. I was willing to be patient with the second line, but seeing how Perez is working his buns off he deserves the chance while Sammy 'warms up'. Way too early to give up on Sammy (I may be skeptical, but I'm optimistic he'll find his form). Meanwhile the team as a whole is playing well. Let's be thankful for that.

Habs_Apostle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2006, 11:54 AM
Nobak

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
I don't disagree that Samsonov is struggling, but I'm saying that it's ridiculous to suggest trading him when we're only 6 games into the season.
The overall feeling I was getting from this thread is that he's disappointing, not that we should trade him, so I guess I misunderstood.

Nobak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2006, 11:57 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Okay maybe I'm exaggerating for emphasis, but posts like Freaky Habs Fan's sure hint at wanting to ship him out.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2006, 12:07 PM
Montrealer

I think this term is overused on the net, but I have one word to sum up this thread:

0WN3D!!!!!!!!!

Montrealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2006, 12:13 PM
Guy Germaine

At this point, the second line has zero chemistry, they've been awful. I truly believe that in order for Kovalev to be at his best, he needs to play with the best, and that would be Koivu.We know how good they were in the playoffs a couple years ago.
Now I don't think for one second that Higgins would become innefective if he wasn't playing with Koivu.He created many chances by himself, so I'd try Johnson centering the second line with Higgins and Ryder. Johnson has the speed,a great defensive game and he's got excellent hockey sense, a lot like Higgins.
I think they'd mesh really well if given the chance.
Move Pleks back down to third with Bonky and Zhogy, where he probably played his best hockey last year.
leave the fourth as it is.

Samsonov-Koivu-Kovalev
Higgins-Johnson-Ryder
Plekanec-Bonk_Perezhogin
Lats-Begin-Murray

On paper, that line-up is money...just my opinion.

Guy Germaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2006, 12:14 PM
Quiet Robert

HAHAHAHAHA!

NHA and Cyrrus = PWNED

Quiet Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2006, 12:22 PM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mother_pucker View Post
At this point, the second line has zero chemistry, they've been awful. I truly believe that in order for Kovalev to be at his best, he needs to play with the best, and that would be Koivu.We know how good they were in the playoffs a couple years ago.
Now I don't think for one second that Higgins would become innefective if he wasn't playing with Koivu.He created many chances by himself, so I'd try Johnson centering the second line with Higgins and Ryder. Johnson has the speed,a great defensive game and he's got excellent hockey sense, a lot like Higgins.
I think they'd mesh really well if given the chance.
Move Pleks back down to third with Bonky and Zhogy, where he probably played his best hockey last year.
leave the fourth as it is.

Samsonov-Koivu-Kovalev
Higgins-Johnson-Ryder
Plekanec-Bonk_Perezhogin
Lats-Begin-Murray

On paper, that line-up is money...just my opinion.
Johnson isn't a centre, and isn't particularly effective in the faceoff circle. I would rather keep him with Bonk, on the third line where he's been really effective.

Old
10-19-2006, 12:22 PM
Shabutie

Personally if we're to break up the 1st, I'd go with;

Perez - Koivu - Kovalev
Higgins - Pleks - Ryder
Sammy - Bonk - Johnson
Lats - Begin - Murray

Perez is working harder than Sammy and should get the 1st/2nd line spot ahead of him. Although, I'd rather just try what we've got and switch Perez/Sammy, if the line doesn't work...then you experiment.

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2006, 12:24 PM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
it was just a thought...the thing is moving Samsonov on the 3rd kind of defeats the purpose of having Bonk/Johnson play vs. the other teams top line, Samsonov would be a liability there. I also don't like the fact that it takes 2 of our 3 right handed shots, and puts them on the same line.
Samsonov has been solid defensively so far. I don't think he'd cause any problems on the third.

Old
10-19-2006, 12:26 PM
Pascal

Next time I get a new job that pays me 3.5M, I'll tell my boss to give me time to adjust to my new work enviroment before I give some effort into it.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2006, 12:27 PM
zzoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post
Personally if we're to break up the 1st, I'd go with;

Perez - Koivu - Kovalev
Higgins - Pleks - Ryder
Sammy - Bonk - Johnson
Lats - Begin - Murray

Perez is working harder than Sammy and should get the 1st/2nd line spot ahead of him. Although, I'd rather just try what we've got and switch Perez/Sammy, if the line doesn't work...then you experiment.
I like this line-up. However, since our actual first line have been playing very well, I'm very reluctant to change it. Alternatively, we may try this combo:
Perez - Bonk/Pleks - Kovalev
Sammy - Pleks/Bonk - Johnson

zzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2006, 12:32 PM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzoo View Post
I like this line-up. However, since our actual first line have been playing very well, I'm very reluctant to change it. Alternatively, we may try this combo:
Perez - Bonk/Pleks - Kovalev
Sammy - Pleks/Bonk - Johnson
That's what I'd go with. Imo though, the first line has little risk at splitting up. Maybe I'm the only one who feels this way, but I think that Higgins and Ryder have outplayed Koivu and have good chemistry together; therefore, I don't think taking Koivu away from the puzzle will hurt their production.

Old
10-19-2006, 12:35 PM
Netro

People need to relax. If Samsonov gets a hat trick next game, everyone will be loving him. It is crazy, you can't look at the overall performance of a player based on 6 games.

Does anyone think it is fair to evaluate an employee when they are 7% into the first year of new job?

Netro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2006, 12:42 PM
baldrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malakhov View Post
There's nothing wrong with the first goal, Havlat didn't have that much space to work with, Aebischer should of made the save.
Havlat should never have been allowed his position, don't Dmen know about angles and body position?

baldrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2006, 12:46 PM
baldrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrrus147 View Post
I agree with you, I don't see something positive from tonight game. The execution on offense/defense was awful mostly on the second and fourth line. Too many bad penalties. This game should have been a easy two points.
Way too many undisciplined penalties put Koivu/Higgins defending rather than attacking.

baldrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2006, 12:55 PM
MXD

My 1st Star vs. Chicago

Don't feel like... talking or writing a lot this afternoon.
But my 1st Star (for the Habs...) yesterday was Mark Streit. Anyone agree with me?

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2006, 12:56 PM
Cyrrus147

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahan View Post
Good work znk. Unfortunately they'll keep their blindfolds on and continue pretending the habs are pathetic.. You know how those guys are. They'll never see the truth even if you stick it in front of their nose like you just did.
I don't see where I said that the Habs are a pathetic team.The Habs are a solid hockey team who should make the playoff and who is much better than the Chicago Blackhawks. My comment was on the game.

I did not bother posting here because there is already a thread going on and I already explain my point of view a few times. If Znk wants to create a other post and showing his arguments, this is perfect and the fact that he brings arguments to his opinion is even better.

Like I explain in the other post, I did some mistakes in my first post probably due to overeacting after the lost but I still think that habs played a bad game and probably the worse one since the beginning of the season. I bring some arguments and I try to relied on some facts even if most of the statistics are not available right after a game.

If you guys can't understand that others can have differents point of views than you , I don't see why you are coming on a message board. If you we can't have a civilized discussion, I don't see why this board would exist.

I always been respectful to others habs fan, please try to do the same and it will only make this board better. This is the first time that I am posting something negative related to the Habs since I've joined this board, look like this is a extreme sport here.

Last edited by Cyrrus147: 10-19-2006 at 01:18 PM.
Cyrrus147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2006, 12:59 PM
goalchenyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedave View Post
Same. I don't see what Plekanec has done to deserve playing on the top line; Bonk has been very good, and he might bring the big body, corner and front of the net presence that's been lacking on the 2nd line. That line is just all perimeter, all soft right now.

Plekanec just looks out of his element on the 2nd line (though again, the 2nd line troubles are not all his fault). We know he has good chemistry with Perezhogin, and he played pretty well on the 3rd line last year. Johnson can play well with anyone, and is solid enough in all situations so as to make any player of any style better.
I agree with you DaveDave . It's not that he's playing bad , but he's not in his element , in the second line . i don't get why Carboneau didn't try yet , to replaced him with Bonk .

Plekanec is a bit like Petrov was ; always dangerous , but also always unable to finish his play .

goalchenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2006, 01:03 PM
hab

The Big Switch... Or Not

It was probably brought up in the game thread(but who wants to go through 25 pages to get to a topic).

Perez was on the plekanek line and sampsonov was moved to the third line at some

point near the end of the game, thoughts on weather this could be permanent,

or even a good idea

hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2006, 01:08 PM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

lol I think there are three seperate threads proposing line changes. Four now.

Sammy won't be as effective on the third line with fewer minutes, as his game is not a checking game. Perezhogin is playing well and deserves the extra minutes, but I don't see how he's necessarily an improvement on the second line, other than just being a fresh face.

Old
10-19-2006, 01:10 PM
Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by hab View Post
It was probably brought up in the game thread(but who wants to go through 25 pages to get to a topic).

Perez was on the plekanek line and sampsonov was moved to the third line at some

point near the end of the game, thoughts on weather this could be permanent,

or even a good idea
Sounds to me based on Carbo's post-game comments that the 2nd line experiment of Kov-Plek-Sam is over.

We should definitely expect a shuffle that modifies that line. Switching Perez & Sam may be the simplest solution to try for now and the one I expect to see on Saturday.

Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2006, 01:11 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
I'm happy to see the change of Samsonov/Perezhogin made. I'm disappointed it took this long as it was foreseeable, in my opinion.
Yeah, but we have a 3 million $ player on a third line now. ouach !

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote