HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Philadelphia 76ers (NBA): Season starts Nov. 1 at WAS; home opener Nov. 2 vs. CHI

Closed Thread

Old
06-27-2013, 08:09 PM
MRxBLACK
Charlie don't surf!

vCash: 943
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justified View Post
love this move.
Yeah. Turner, Young, and Hawes I'm sure are being dangled too.

Old
06-27-2013, 08:09 PM
Justified
Amaro out

vCash: 673
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayshplaysh View Post
Sixers a lock for that last place spot next year, how greatly can your position be affected in the NBA lottery?
i think the lowest they could drop if they ended up with the worst record is 4th.

Old
06-27-2013, 08:11 PM
Jack de la Hoya

vCash: 500
Quote:
Sixers a lock for that last place spot next year, how greatly can your position be affected in the NBA lottery?
You can drop 3 spots, I believe.

Theoretically, they could get 1 and 4. That would be awesome.

Old
06-27-2013, 08:11 PM
MRxBLACK
Charlie don't surf!

Quote:
Drop 3 spots is the worst.

Old
06-27-2013, 08:12 PM
chinatown81592
Smash Bros Hype!

Worst case scenario is that they drop to 4.

Apparently the pick coming back from New Orleans is top 5 protected.

Old
06-27-2013, 08:14 PM
MRxBLACK
Charlie don't surf!

Pelicans aren't top 10 bad next year imo, but its still great to have their pick.

Old
06-27-2013, 08:14 PM
ayshplaysh

Exciting yet depressing time to be a Sixers fan then! It's gonna be a rough year, but what a payout it could be in the draft next year.

Old
06-27-2013, 08:20 PM
MRxBLACK
Charlie don't surf!

If Rose wasn't hurt last year Jrue wouldn't have been an all star, if that helps anyone who isn't in favor of the trade.

Old
06-27-2013, 08:33 PM
Big Poppa Puck
Bring back JTG!

I am absolutely irate right now. Trading Holiday for unproven bad knee Noel?

I see Noel as Marcus Camby. He has no offensive game whatsoever. Trade Turner+ for him ok. But ****in Holiday your one true great player. ****in joke.

Ya we gotta a pick next year, but now with Holiday, Gordon, Davis, Vasquez, etc the Hornets Pelicans might not be half bad and even if they are the pick is Top 5 protected so what we get another Thaddeus Young, at best out of the deal along with Noel? Just bad.

As for MCW, I think he's alright, I'm very indifferent, I'm not sure he's a true PG either. He's the only one we got now though, unless you include Royal Ivey and Charles Jenkins (lol) who are both FAs anyway. I'm certain he'll never reach Holiday's level though. I understand they're bad and wanna tank, but it's not like Holiday was old, he's ****in 23.

Think of this right now the Sixers now have zero PGs and one Kwame Browns. They also still employ Spencer Hawes. And have Jason Richardson's albatross on the books and I don't he ever plays again.

This is their roster right now under contract:

PG: MCW
SG: Turner
SF: ???????? Justin Holiday??
PF: Thad Young
C: Noel

Bench: Allen, Moultrie, Hawes, Brown.

Wow that is putrid.
4 Centers, 2 undersized PFs, a rookie combo G, an inconsistent Swingman, and a D-Leaguer.

I hope they go after like Teague or Jennings in FA. Both are RFAs, but being an RFA in the NBA isn't the same as the NHL. Knowing the Sixers though they'll either A: Give a max deal to like Josh Smith or Monte Ellis or B: sign a few more Nick Youngs.

This ****in organziation is a such a mess.

Old
06-27-2013, 08:36 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Poppa Puck View Post
Wow that is putrid.
The point is to put the team in a position to draft a franchise-claliber player next year, I think.

EDIT: I think it comes down to this: if you think Holiday was a franchise-cornerstone type, then this deal is really, really risky (or downright bad). If you think he's a great supporting player, just good enough to keep the team mediocre, then this is the kind of deal that's necessary in the NBA.

Old
06-27-2013, 08:51 PM
Go For It

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post
The point is to put the team in a position to draft a franchise-claliber player next year, I think.

EDIT: I think it comes down to this: if you think Holiday was a franchise-cornerstone type, then this deal is really, really risky (or downright bad). If you think he's a great supporting player, just good enough to keep the team mediocre, then this is the kind of deal that's necessary in the NBA.
I think this is the key point. As we've seen the past ~7 or so years, there's no point in being a mediocre team. You either need to be really really good or really really bad.

Old
06-27-2013, 08:54 PM
BringBackStevens

Pelicans epic bad team name

Old
06-27-2013, 08:54 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go For It View Post
I think this is the key point. As we've seen the past ~7 or so years, there's no point in being a mediocre team. You either need to be really really good or really really bad.
Yup and being mediocre this year cost the Flyers one of the top 5 players in the draft......that is unless they make a trade to move up which doesn't seem in the cards.

Old
06-27-2013, 08:55 PM
dawkins121

Quote:
I am absolutely irate right now. Trading Holiday for unproven bad knee Noel?

I see Noel as Marcus Camby. He has no offensive game whatsoever. Trade Turner+ for him ok. But ****in Holiday your one true great player. ****in joke.

Ya we gotta a pick next year, but now with Holiday, Gordon, Davis, Vasquez, etc the Hornets Pelicans might not be half bad and even if they are the pick is Top 5 protected so what we get another Thaddeus Young, at best out of the deal along with Noel? Just bad.

As for MCW, I think he's alright, I'm very indifferent, I'm not sure he's a true PG either. He's the only one we got now though, unless you include Royal Ivey and Charles Jenkins (lol) who are both FAs anyway. I'm certain he'll never reach Holiday's level though. I understand they're bad and wanna tank, but it's not like Holiday was old, he's ****in 23.

Think of this right now the Sixers now have zero PGs and one Kwame Browns. They also still employ Spencer Hawes. And have Jason Richardson's albatross on the books and I don't he ever plays again.

This is their roster right now under contract:

PG: MCW
SG: Turner
SF: ???????? Justin Holiday??
PF: Thad Young
C: Noel

Bench: Allen, Moultrie, Hawes, Brown.

Wow that is putrid.
4 Centers, 2 undersized PFs, a rookie combo G, an inconsistent Swingman, and a D-Leaguer.

I hope they go after like Teague or Jennings in FA. Both are RFAs, but being an RFA in the NBA isn't the same as the NHL. Knowing the Sixers though they'll either A: Give a max deal to like Josh Smith or Monte Ellis or B: sign a few more Nick Youngs.

This ****in organziation is a such a mess.
The whole point is that they are terrible next year. 2014 draft is supposed to be crazy deep and they are going to get a great pick. Holiday is a nice player but he's not the kind of superstar you build a championship caliber team around. By the time they got enough pieces to maybe make him like a Mike Conley for a balanced contending team his contract would probably be up. Rebuild from scratch, take high ceiling guys, go for broke in the 2014 draft.

Old
06-27-2013, 08:57 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackStevens View Post
Pelicans epic bad team name
I know...how can somebody with a straight face say they are honored to be drafted by the NO "Pelicans."

I still think one of the funnier draft episodes was when a player (can't remember who) said he was honored to be drafted by the Orlando "Magicians" instead of the "Magic."

Old
06-27-2013, 08:59 PM
FLYguy3911

Hinkie is all about efficiency. As much as I like Holiday (I now have a worthless jersey), he's not a very efficient player. He turns the ball over at a high clip and he's a streaky shooter- he's a volume shooter. They got a true PG and a rim protector out of this draft. It's a nice foundation. Now they just need to fill in everything in between (and that's a lot).

This was from a month ago. No surprise the Sixers liked him:
Quote:
Source tell ESPN that a number of teams that rely heavily on analytics have Syracuse PG Michael Carter-Williams ahead of Michigan's Trey Burke.
Carter-Williams is rapidly gaining on Burke for the title of top point guard available in the draft. He measured in at 6-5 3/4 at the Combine, truly uncommon size for a pass-first point guard. Burke was just 6-1 1/4. Carter-Williams is reportedly coming up at No. 1 and 2 overall on some analytical reports.

Old
06-27-2013, 09:01 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawkins121 View Post
The whole point is that they are terrible next year. 2014 draft is supposed to be crazy deep and they are going to get a great pick. Holiday is a nice player but he's not the kind of superstar you build a championship caliber team around. By the time they got enough pieces to maybe make him like a Mike Conley for a balanced contending team his contract would probably be up. Rebuild from scratch, take high ceiling guys, go for broke in the 2014 draft.
This is true..they were going nowhere fast even with Jrue. They had to do a complete reset and position themselves for next year's deep draft and some FA's if LA doesn't snap most of them up. LA is set to reload as well..

Having said this..the team is going to be pretty bad to watch but last year wasn't exactly sunshine and rainbows either.

Old
06-27-2013, 09:02 PM
Big Poppa Puck
Bring back JTG!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post

It depends. I think Holiday is a franchise player in that he can be part of the popular big 3's we see now a days, but I don't think he can carry a team. He's only 23. What if Noel and/or MCW blow? Then what? By 2016 we have to give the Heat the Moultrie pick then we'll really be screwed.

Noel can be an elite defensive player but he has a bad knee and really needs to put on some weight but he has no offensive upside. And I don't see MCW as anything more than a solid starting G, definitely not becoming as good as Holiday.

We're gonna be bad next year regardless with or without Holiday. Holiday might be the difference between pick Top 5th and 9th but that's about it. And I think NO's pick will be in the 10-16 range. They won't be that bad next year. I expected them to be better even without Holiday.

NBA players have a high bust factor. It's scary. Had we traded Turner + something I'm more ok with this. This was like Bynum last year. Bynum for Iguodala and a pick was fine but then we threw in Harkless and Vucevic and I thought it was too risky.

I just like don't like trading Holiday, at all, unless it's in a package for a bonafide star, not for an unproven proven rookie and a pick that could end up outside the Top 10.

Old
06-27-2013, 09:11 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
It depends. I think Holiday is a franchise player in that he can be part of the popular big 3's we see now a days, but I don't think he can carry a team. He's only 23. What if Noel and/or MCW blow? Then what? By 2016 we have to give the Heat the Moultrie pick then we'll really be screwed.

Noel can be an elite defensive player but he has a bad knee and really needs to put on some weight but he has no offensive upside. And I don't see MCW as anything more than a solid starting G, definitely not becoming as good as Holiday.

We're gonna be bad next year regardless with or without Holiday. Holiday might be the difference between pick Top 5th and 9th but that's about it. And I think NO's pick will be in the 10-16 range. They won't be that bad next year. I expected them to be better even without Holiday.

NBA players have a high bust factor. It's scary. Had we traded Turner + something I'm more ok with this. This was like Bynum last year. Bynum for Iguodala and a pick was fine but then we threw in Harkless and Vucevic and I thought it was too risky.

I just like don't like trading Holiday, at all, unless it's in a package for a bonafide star, not for an unproven proven rookie and a pick that could end up outside the Top 10.
You keep talking about this pick but if they are in the lottery in 2014 and 2015 they owe Miami a 2015 and 2016 2nd rounder. Not a big deal considering the value of 2nd round picks these days.

Old
06-27-2013, 09:13 PM
MRxBLACK
Charlie don't surf!

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/...Williams-6262/

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Nerlens-Noel-6455/

Old
06-27-2013, 09:23 PM
Big Poppa Puck
Bring back JTG!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYguy3911 View Post
You keep talking about this pick but if they are in the lottery in 2014 and 2015 they owe Miami a 2015 and 2016 2nd rounder. Not a big deal considering the value of 2nd round picks these days.
I thought that was the pick they owe the Magic that becomes a 2nd. And the 1st to Miami becomes unprotected in 2016?

Old
06-27-2013, 09:25 PM
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener

Holiday is not a superstar. Teams, usually, need at least one of them. They at least are making a play.

Old
06-27-2013, 09:30 PM
MRxBLACK
Charlie don't surf!

Quote:
I thought that was the pick they owe the Magic that becomes a 2nd. And the 1st to Miami becomes unprotected in 2016?
Yes. We don't owe the magic until two years after we pay Miami by 2016.

Old
06-27-2013, 09:34 PM
flybynite77

Quote:
The Miami pick is lotto protected next year and in 2015. If the Sixers are in the lotto next year and still in the lotto in 2015 they give up their 2015 2nd round pick and 2016 2nd round pick to Miami.

The Orlando pick doesn't then start until 2 years after the Sixers finish their Miami obligation(you can't trade 1st round picks in future consecutive drafts so they has to be that 2 year separation)

It's pretty safe to say that the 2014 pick is safe so the Miami first will either be given back in 2015 as a first(if the Sixers make the playoffs) or as a 2015 2nd & 2016 2nd)

In that scenario the Orlando pick then moves to 2017. It has top 11 protection in 2017, and top-8 protection in 2018. If somehow the Sixers don't give up a first because of those protections they then trade Orlando the Sixers 2018 2nd and 2019 2nd round picks.

Old
06-27-2013, 09:56 PM
Big Poppa Puck
Bring back JTG!

As mad as I am at moving Holiday, I'm happy they finally embraced tanking at least.

(That is until they give Ellis or Smith a max deal. )

Closed Thread