HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How can you compare Plekanec with Bergeron ?

Old
06-27-2013, 07:02 PM
Demon Wolf

vCash: 500
Over the last four seasons, Plekanec is ranked 18th out of all NHL centers in points.

Criminally underrated. I wish we'd for once play our best players with him, he's our best overall forward without a doubt.

Demon Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 07:09 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon Wolf View Post
Over the last four seasons, Plekanec is ranked 18th out of all NHL centers in points.

Criminally underrated. I wish we'd for once play our best players with him, he's our best overall forward without a doubt.
Pretty much. It's funny how Pleks never gets the defacto DD defense (or DDDD) of 'Well you just gotta play him with big power wingers!!111!'

Give Pleks some great power wingers and many in this thread eat lots of crow.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 07:52 PM
dutchy29

A certain amount of size yes is important, but also the ability to play big, and this is something Plekenec has difficulty doing, Look no further than our own team, Gallagher is small but can complete in the hard areas to get goals. Look at Kane from Chicago, conn smyth winner, battled against one of the leagues toughest and biggest defense and still came out on top. so I think we have to start talking less about pure size and more about players who can play big.

dutchy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 08:13 PM
Price My Man Crush

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchy29 View Post
A certain amount of size yes is important, but also the ability to play big, and this is something Plekenec has difficulty doing, Look no further than our own team, Gallagher is small but can complete in the hard areas to get goals. Look at Kane from Chicago, conn smyth winner, battled against one of the leagues toughest and biggest defense and still came out on top. so I think we have to start talking less about pure size and more about players who can play big.
Are you saying Patrick Kane plays big? I hope not.

Price My Man Crush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 09:10 PM
Dont Poke Subban
25th is coming.

I hope Pleks stays with the Habs forever, seriously. This guy has been my favorite player since he came to montreal. Just give him a better rw than Gionta.

Dont Poke Subban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 09:31 PM
ForeverHabs97

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrettaBlaze View Post
Is Plekanec this year's official offseason whipping boy?
Lol

ForeverHabs97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 09:31 PM
Rosso Scuderia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon Wolf View Post

But apprently he can't even hold Bergeron's jockstrap.

Rosso Scuderia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 09:37 PM
TT1

you cant compare plek to bergeron, the only upside he has over him is that he rarely gets injured. apart from that bergeron pretty much dominates him in every aspect of the game, be it in FO's, 2-way play, toughness or offence(not that big of a gap over the past 3-4 seasons but hes younger and has more skill, plus hes kept up with plek offencively after all his injuries). if plekanec is as good of a 2-way player that we say he is then he should have gotten nominated for a selke by now

Last edited by TT1: 06-27-2013 at 09:51 PM.
TT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 09:43 PM
Harpo
Lyle forever

vCash: 50
Let's solve our problem of not having an elite #1C by getting rid of the closest thing to a #1C that we have.

I hated my 2009 Elantra so I crashed it into a wall. Now I ride a scooter but I'm not stuck with that piece of **** car.

Harpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 09:45 PM
TT1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpo View Post
Let's solve our problem of not having an elite #1C by getting rid of the closest thing to a #1C that we have.

I hated my 2009 Elantra so I crashed it into a wall. Now I ride a scooter but I'm not stuck with that piece of **** car.
not saying that either, but if we do sign vinny plekanec becomes expendable. might be the best time to ship him off for a young winger like stewart or ryan
i dont see us being contenders in the next 3 years so we'll most likely just end up killing his value if we dont move him, plus im pretty sure we would improve as a team if we got lecavalier + ryan/stewart instead of plek anyways

Old
06-27-2013, 09:48 PM
Undertakerqc

Plekanec being compared to Bergeron is a huge farce. this guy has been a dissapointment in the playoffs, year after year. He is soft and just dissapearas in big game. I hope we can bring in a bigger center then him.

Undertakerqc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 09:50 PM
shiftycanuck
Habby Habitants

Plekanec is softer then butter, We will never reach the top level with this guy being in our long-term plans or being leaned on significantly. A 3rd line center who penalty kills....I could live with that but even in that sense I would rather have someone who shows more passion and heart then he does in that role.

Koivu was a small center, and personally I was never a huge fan but I could live with the guy because he was a heart and soul player who was mentally tough, Plekanec is none of these things. In order to reach the next level, we need to make some changes, and it's been the same thing for years, we need to get bigger down the middle and basically overall.

Gionta will be gone after next season, that leaves a decision between Desharnais and Plekanec and it will be a lot easier to get value for Plekanec due to the high praise a good chunk of MTL fans put on him. Put your Pleky hard ons away and deal with the fact that within 3 years he will not be apart of le blanc, bleu, et rouge.

Go Habs Go

shiftycanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 09:55 PM
Rosso Scuderia

Quote:
Originally Posted by TT1 View Post
you cant compare plek to bergeron, the only upside he has over him is that he rarely gets injured. apart from that bergeron pretty much dominates him in every aspect of the game, be it in FO's, 2-way play or offence(not that big of a gap over the past 3-4 seasons but hes younger and has more skill, plus hes kept up with plek offencively after all his injuries). if plekanec is as good of a 2-way player that we say he is he should have gotten nominated for a selke by now
I think you don't know the difference between good and best in the league.

This is getting ridiculous. Now he's not even a good two way center?

Old
06-27-2013, 09:56 PM
Harpo
Lyle forever

vCash: 50
Quote:
not saying that either, but if we do sign vinny plekanec becomes expendable. might be the best time to ship him off for a young winger like stewart or ryan
I'm all for signing Vinny, but he'll be irrelevant in 3 years. In 3 years, Plekanec will still be an excellent #2 or #3 defensive center with some upside offensively. If we trade him, who'll be on the C on the PK in the next 3 years? Eller? Lecavalier? Desharnais? Galchenyuk? Halpern? And on offence, what if Vinny misses half a season? Are you comfortable with Galchenyuk/Eller/Desharnais on our two first lines?

The potential signing of Vinny brings us a depth that we need. If we then trade Pleks, we're even worse than we were last year.

Harpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 10:02 PM
Rosso Scuderia

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNM87 View Post
Plekanec is softer then butter, We will never reach the top level with this guy being in our long-term plans or being leaned on significantly. A 3rd line center who penalty kills....I could live with that but even in that sense I would rather have someone who shows more passion and heart then he does in that role.

Koivu was a small center, and personally I was never a huge fan but I could live with the guy because he was a heart and soul player who was mentally tough, Plekanec is none of these things. In order to reach the next level, we need to make some changes, and it's been the same thing for years, we need to get bigger down the middle and basically overall.

Gionta will be gone after next season, that leaves a decision between Desharnais and Plekanec and it will be a lot easier to get value for Plekanec due to the high praise a good chunk of MTL fans put on him. Put your Pleky hard ons away and deal with the fact that within 3 years he will not be apart of le blanc, bleu, et rouge.

Go Habs Go
Damn... when talking about Plekanec, you can really tell who knows about hockey and who doesn't know **** about it.

Plekanec is one of the most professional player in the Habs. His attitude on ice, off-ice and in practice are impeccable.

People are now questioning his heart.. hahaha.. what a joke.

Old
06-27-2013, 10:11 PM
TT1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpo View Post
I'm all for signing Vinny, but he'll be irrelevant in 3 years. In 3 years, Plekanec will still be an excellent #2 or #3 defensive center with some upside offensively. If we trade him, who'll be on the C on the PK in the next 3 years? Eller? Lecavalier? Desharnais? Galchenyuk? Halpern? And on offence, what if Vinny misses half a season? Are you comfortable with Galchenyuk/Eller/Desharnais on our two first lines?

The potential signing of Vinny brings us a depth that we need. If we then trade Pleks, we're even worse than we were last year.
those are all minor things tho. in 3 years galchenyuk would be ready to step into his main role and we'll have eller as our 2C. we'll just have to find a 3rd line center and who knows, DD might even pick his game up. we can always sign a good 2way player like gordon to fill in his PK role and eller is also a reliable defencive player, there are plenty of players that could do that job(lapierre is also an excellent PKer). and like i mentioned were not giving pleks away for anyone.. i would only do this trade for a talented winger like ryan or stewart, which would obviously add even more depth to our team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosso Scuderia View Post
I think you don't know the difference between good and best in the league.

This is getting ridiculous. Now he's not even a good two way center?
never said that, all im saying is no one should compare him to bergeron. we tend to overrate our players a bit too much at times

Last edited by TT1: 06-27-2013 at 10:34 PM.
Old
06-27-2013, 10:19 PM
Et le But

So now Plekanec is a third line center? Third line centers are in the top 20 in points while playing a two-way role with the majority of their starts in the defensive zone?

You know, there's more to hockey than what commentators say on RDS and TSN, right?

And yes, the only comparison with Bergeron is their tactical role. Bergeron is also a top 10, maybe top 5 centre in the league. Do we have to trade Pacioretty too for not being Corey Perry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchy29 View Post
Kane makes Plekanec look like a power forward. It's not always about cliches about "playing big", the reason Kane came through in the playoffs is because he's ridiculously skilled.

Last edited by Et le But: 06-27-2013 at 10:25 PM.
Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 10:35 PM
Rosso Scuderia

Quote:

never said that, all im saying is no one should compare him to bergeron. we tend to overrate our players a bit too much at times

Or the grass is greener on the other side? No doubt Bergy is a better player but they aren't that far. Put Plekanec in a team like Boston or Chicago or Detroit or LA and he will do wonders guaranteed.

Calling him lack of heart and 3rd liner is just simply as stupid as it gets.

Old
06-27-2013, 10:37 PM
TT1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosso Scuderia View Post
Or the grass is greener on the other side? No doubt Bergy is a better player but they aren't that far. Put Plekanec in a team like Boston or Chicago or Detroit or LA and he will do wonders guaranteed.

Calling him lack of heart and 3rd liner is just simply as stupid as it gets.
when the **** did i call him a 3rd liner? why are you putting words in my mouth
edit: ok i just noticed that you were referring to another post

Last edited by TT1: 06-27-2013 at 10:42 PM.
Old
06-27-2013, 10:41 PM
groovejuice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patofqc View Post
Plekanec being compared to Bergeron is a huge farce. this guy has been a dissapointment in the playoffs, year after year. He is soft and just dissapearas in big game. I hope we can bring in a bigger center then him.
I hope that the offspring of yourself and Couris will genetically end like the merging of a horse and a donkey.

groovejuice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 10:59 PM
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patofqc View Post
Not sure why I am even responding to this post.

Pleks had more points in the regular season than Bergeron.

Pleks was not the reason Ottawa manhandled this team in the playoffs.

You say Pleks disappears in big games. I say you disappear when Pleks is having successful games.

One of us is right and it isnt you.

SouthernHab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 11:47 PM
Hullois
Suck it Trebek

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
Hah, southern_Hab still down hating on lil' Eller.
Eller is really good and I hope we never let him go, but next year he won't be able to handle #1 shutdown role like Pleks can do. The odd part is Desharnais, with or without Lecavalier.

Galchenyuk
Eller
Pleks

Makes so much sense in 2 years

Last edited by Hullois: 06-27-2013 at 11:52 PM.
Hullois is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
Not sure why I am even responding to this post.

Pleks had more points in the regular season than Bergeron.Pleks was not the reason Ottawa manhandled this team in the playoffs.

You say Pleks disappears in big games. I say you disappear when Pleks is having successful games.

One of us is right and it isnt you.
Points is one thing...

Impact is a whole other

P.S. Plekanec had 1 more point (33) in 5 more games then Bergeron (32)

Anyone who thinks Plekanec is on Bergeron's level, needs to give their head a shake

417 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 09:07 AM
Madevilz

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanMTL46 View Post
People don't realize what Tomas Plekanec really is to this team right now.
At least the coaching staff does.
JM knew how important he is, so does MT.
He's no 1C, but definitely a top tier 2C in the league.

Madevilz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 09:26 AM
danyhabsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markowicz View Post
Plekanec is probably the most overrated player on the team, imo. Bergeron is a much better player.

edit: Bolland is being shopped by chicago. I'd pick him up and then go and trade plekanec.
Simple question: are you Bob Gainey?

Bolland is not even close to the player that Plekanec is.

danyhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote