HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Philadelphia 76ers (NBA): Season starts Nov. 1 at WAS; home opener Nov. 2 vs. CHI

Closed Thread

Old
06-27-2013, 10:02 PM
Roo Mad Bro
U havin a giggle m8?

vCash: 500
Sixers did what is necessary in the NBA: tank for a top pick.

It's necessary in the NBA. You don't win with a Jrue Holiday as your best player, you win with him as your #2/3 option.

Rest up Noel, plug in MCW, tank next year and hopefully get the #1 pick (Wiggins) with another top 10 pick in one of the better drafts since '03.

They will have a ******** of cap space in the future as well to make a FA splash if necessary.

THIS is how you rebuild and build a championship roster in the NBA. Looks like Hinkie realizes this and this is something that should have been done after AI left. Sick of mediocrity. Ownership was content on just getting butts in the seat (even that didn't work out too well) rather than putting a contender on the court.

This is the first step.

Old
06-27-2013, 10:04 PM
Snotbubbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Poppa Puck View Post
It depends. I think Holiday is a franchise player in that he can be part of the popular big 3's we see now a days, but I don't think he can carry a team. He's only 23. What if Noel and/or MCW blow? Then what? By 2016 we have to give the Heat the Moultrie pick then we'll really be screwed.

Noel can be an elite defensive player but he has a bad knee and really needs to put on some weight but he has no offensive upside. And I don't see MCW as anything more than a solid starting G, definitely not becoming as good as Holiday.

We're gonna be bad next year regardless with or without Holiday. Holiday might be the difference between pick Top 5th and 9th but that's about it. And I think NO's pick will be in the 10-16 range. They won't be that bad next year. I expected them to be better even without Holiday.

NBA players have a high bust factor. It's scary. Had we traded Turner + something I'm more ok with this. This was like Bynum last year. Bynum for Iguodala and a pick was fine but then we threw in Harkless and Vucevic and I thought it was too risky.

I just like don't like trading Holiday, at all, unless it's in a package for a bonafide star, not for an unproven proven rookie and a pick that could end up outside the Top 10.
This was a trade to be horrible next year so they can get one of Wiggins, Randle or Parker. If Noels and/or MCW pan out, then that's a bonus.

Old
06-27-2013, 10:05 PM
MRxBLACK
ESPN Sucks

vCash: 1161
Spurs assistant coach Brett Brown to be Sixers new coach.

Old
06-27-2013, 10:14 PM
flybynite77

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRxBLACK View Post
Spurs assistant coach Brett Brown to be Sixers new coach.
Hope he got a couple guaranteed years out of them. Next year aint gonna be pretty.

Old
06-27-2013, 10:25 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybynite77 View Post
Hope he got a couple guaranteed years out of them. Next year aint gonna be pretty.
I wonder what the average attendance will be.....

Old
06-27-2013, 10:27 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo Mad Bro View Post
Sixers did what is necessary in the NBA: tank for a top pick.

It's necessary in the NBA. You don't win with a Jrue Holiday as your best player, you win with him as your #2/3 option.

Rest up Noel, plug in MCW, tank next year and hopefully get the #1 pick (Wiggins) with another top 10 pick in one of the better drafts since '03.

They will have a ******** of cap space in the future as well to make a FA splash if necessary.

THIS is how you rebuild and build a championship roster in the NBA. Looks like Hinkie realizes this and this is something that should have been done after AI left. Sick of mediocrity. Ownership was content on just getting butts in the seat (even that didn't work out too well) rather than putting a contender on the court.

This is the first step.
Sixers could very well win a Championship in the next decade quicker than the Flyers if they land Wiggins and some of these other moves pan out......

Sixers really blew their load with Bynum ..they were left with no choice but to push the reset button and the timing is decent given the deep draft next year.

Old
06-27-2013, 10:31 PM
Big Poppa Puck
Bring back JTG!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snotbubbles View Post
This was a trade to be horrible next year so they can get one of Wiggins, Randle or Parker. If Noels and/or MCW pan out, then that's a bonus.
They were gonna be horrible next year regardless. Moving Holiday just makes them a #1 pick contender instead of just like the 5th or 6th worst team.

I like the fact that they are tanking, I just think they coulda tanked with Holiday.

I guarantee our pick is higher than the Pelicans' next year and the Pelicans' pick will probably be outside the Top 10.

Here's my thing: are Nerlens Noel and/or whoever you pick with NO's pick next year gonna be a better player than Holiday? I don't think they will be.

I do like the Brown hire, though.

Old
06-27-2013, 10:34 PM
Sniped
Snowballs at Santa

Jrue Holiday was never an elite PG in the NBA, he was more a 2nd tier guy with the likes of Ty lawson and John Wall.

I was first sad to see Jrue Holiday go, but it is best for the franchise to get in the top 5 in the 2014 draft where true super-stars will be.

With Wiggins, Parker, Smart, and some other guys, the sixers will be able to draft one of them to be the center piece to build around.

The sixers were never gonna be able to tank/rebuild effectively/efficient with Holiday in the line-up. If any of you watched the sixers when holiday was out, they were horrendous. That's what the sixers need next year, to be the worst team in the NBA.

The pelicans will not get a top 5 pick, they have a lot of talent with Gordan, Davis, Holiday, Vasquez, Davis, and some bench players, therefore we should have 2 lottery picks in one of the deepest drafts in a long time.

Brilliant move by Sam Hinke, I gotta give him kudos.

Old
06-27-2013, 10:40 PM
MRxBLACK
ESPN Sucks

I wonder what will happen with Turner? Having him in the backcourt with MCW long term isn't good. You need someone who can hit a jumper.

Old
06-27-2013, 10:41 PM
Jtown

vCash: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
Sixers could very well win a Championship in the next decade quicker than the Flyers if they land Wiggins and some of these other moves pan out......

Sixers really blew their load with Bynum ..they were left with no choice but to push the reset button and the timing is decent given the deep draft next year.
Agreed. Im glad the sixers blew it up but id have thrown in evan turner to assure it wasnt top 5 protected. The sixers are going to tank their way to greatness and it is a smart move. Getting Noel is icing on the cake. He hsould have gone 1, he is is a diffrence maker already as a defender. Dwight howard esque on defense.

Old
06-27-2013, 10:48 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
Agreed. Im glad the sixers blew it up but id have thrown in evan turner to assure it wasnt top 5 protected. The sixers are going to tank their way to greatness and it is a smart move. Getting Noel is icing on the cake. He hsould have gone 1, he is is a diffrence maker already as a defender. Dwight howard esque on defense.
Yeah not only is the timing good b/c of next year's draft class but the FA market as I noted up thread will be very good too provided the Lakers don't corner the market which they probably will since they will have a lot of room to sign some big FA's and do their own reset. The Lakers are looking to tank too in many respects but basically b/c Kobe is not going to be healthy and Howard is prolly gone. That is the one team that could compete with our tanking scheme. I will flip if they get Wiggins. They are the Pitt Pens of basketball!

Old
06-27-2013, 10:54 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Sixers drafted Nate Wolters. Extremely skilled guard. Poor to average athleticism. Can shoot the ball, pass, dribble and not turn it over. Average at defense. Shoots wierd so people question if he can shoot in the nba.

Old
06-27-2013, 10:59 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Poppa Puck View Post
I thought that was the pick they owe the Magic that becomes a 2nd. And the 1st to Miami becomes unprotected in 2016?
per nbadraft.net
Quote:
Heat receive the 76ers' 2013 first-round pick (lotto protected 2013,'14,'15) If first round pick has not been received by 2015 becomes 2015 and 2016 second rounders. (#27 pick trade, Moultrie) (Arnett Moultrie trade 06-28-12)
Quote:
Can probably get $10 season tickets considering tickets were going for a quarter last year. Definitely going to go withe the dark backdrop.

The Sixers traded for one of my favorite players in the draft, Nate Wolters, and then they traded him for Ricardo Ledo another kid I like, and then traded him for...something. I hate how the NBA handles draft day trades.

Old
06-27-2013, 11:00 PM
MRxBLACK
ESPN Sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Sixers drafted Nate Wolters. Extremely skilled guard. Poor to average athleticism. Can shoot the ball, pass, dribble and not turn it over. Average at defense. Shoots wierd so people question if he can shoot in the nba.
Aaaaaand Wolters is traded for Ledo.

Edit: Ledo is then traded. My head is going to burst.

Old
06-27-2013, 11:06 PM
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener

Quote:
Aaaaaand Wolters is traded for Ledo.

Edit: Ledo is then traded. My head is going to burst.
Wait. What?

Old
06-27-2013, 11:15 PM
MRxBLACK
ESPN Sucks

So after all of those 2nd round trades, we end up with an International who will never see an NBA game and a future 2nd.

Edit: We end up with Noel, MCW, the Iranian Kazemi from Oregon in the second round, Boston's 2nd next year, and the Pelicans 1st next year.

Last edited by MRxBLACK: 06-27-2013 at 11:37 PM.
Old
06-27-2013, 11:51 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Paul Holmgren and Bob Clarke are appalled by all the 2nd round trades

Old
06-27-2013, 11:55 PM
Jtown

Quote:
Yeah not only is the timing good b/c of next year's draft class but the FA market as I noted up thread will be very good too provided the Lakers don't corner the market which they probably will since they will have a lot of room to sign some big FA's and do their own reset. The Lakers are looking to tank too in many respects but basically b/c Kobe is not going to be healthy and Howard is prolly gone. That is the one team that could compete with our tanking scheme. I will flip if they get Wiggins. They are the Pitt Pens of basketball!
sixers are not going to be able to attrack any FA.

It seems that only very popular destinations attrack FA like LA , Miami, New York, Chicago, Salt Lake City

Old
06-28-2013, 12:46 AM
Damaged Goods

Quote:

It seems that only very popular destinations attrack FA like LA , Miami, New York, Chicago, Salt Lake City
wat.

Old
06-28-2013, 12:46 AM
Ilkka Sinisalo
Amazing American

Quote:
So after all of those 2nd round trades, we end up with an International who will never see an NBA game and a future 2nd.

Edit: We end up with Noel, MCW, the Iranian Kazemi from Oregon in the second round, Boston's 2nd next year, and the Pelicans 1st next year.
Sounds pretty good to me. Boston is going to be bad next year, so maybe that's an early second rounder (where'd that one come from by the way?). Sixers will be bad, so their first rounder shouldn't go to Miami. The Pelicans (lol) should be okay, probably contend for a playoff spot. So maybe that's a mid first round pick.

So two first rounders (probably a lottery pick and mid first round pick) and a couple of second rounders in a very talented and very deep draft? Is that right? If so, it's really well done.

Old
06-28-2013, 12:51 AM
Jtown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damaged Goods View Post
wat.
an Obvi JK

Old
06-28-2013, 12:59 AM
MRxBLACK
ESPN Sucks

Noel and MCW apparently go way back:

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.c...up-with-76ers/

Old
06-28-2013, 01:10 AM
Cyborg LeClair
14 28 10 16

vCash: 400
Quote:
Well I certainly won't be in attendance. Jrue Holliday was my favorite player and the first to get me excited about the Sixers since AI.

This better lead to drafting #1 next year and getting a true superstar or I probably won't ever watch them again

Old
06-28-2013, 02:11 AM
RussianRocket10

I'll tune into a game here or there. I don't like basketball enough to watch them all. It sounds like this Noel guy won't even play right away because of his injury.

Old
06-28-2013, 07:10 AM
dawkins121

Quote:

Philly used to be right up there. Historically the Sixers used to be on a level with the Celtics and Lakers, only since the early 90's did they fall so hard. If they can land a serious talent in next years draft and all of a sudden have 4 high upside lottery picks, a ton of cap space, and the San Antonio assistant trying to make them the next Spurs, it might be worth a look from top free agents.

Closed Thread