HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Suggestions for Attending the Draft

Old
06-27-2013, 10:31 PM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
Bettman: "The New York Islanders have traded their second-round pick, #47 overall, to the Phoenix Coyotes for their third-round pick, #67 overall, and their sixth-round pick, #171 overall. That's #47 from the Islanders to Phoenix for the #67 and #171."
More obligatory boos

Granlund2Pulkkinen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 10:43 AM
Colin226
NJ Devils STH

vCash: 500
FYI for those attending.. Here are some of the festivities going on before the draft.. Looks like they really stepped up to make this a great day.. Hope the rain stays away!!

Quote:
Yesterday, workers built a makeshift boardwalk stretching across Championship Plaza on Mulberry Street. Roughly 34 tons of sand were brought in to build a beach outside the arena. More than 30 cherry trees were planted by the arena’s southern entrance. Team offcials point out that the trees colors, red and green, are the old colors of the New Jersey Devils.

A ferris wheel will be set up, and games and events are planned throughout the weekend.

http://www.nj.com/essex/index.ssf/20...l#incart_river

Colin226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 10:45 AM
Chip Chipperson

vCash: 50
Wear a suit and look like you expect to get drafted. Swear and freak out every time your name isn't called. Would be epic.

Chip Chipperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 11:03 AM
bcv
My french sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattler280 View Post
Wear a suit and look like you expect to get drafted. Swear and freak out every time your name isn't called. Would be epic.
Hahahahaha, I should of done that in MTL back in 09. That's so great.

bcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 01:46 PM
BeauKnows19

I saw that someone earlier said try to find the prospects and get autographs, where are good places to go to increase my chances of seeing some?

BeauKnows19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 02:00 PM
Brodeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoPens70 View Post
I saw that someone earlier said try to find the prospects and get autographs, where are good places to go to increase my chances of seeing some?
I wouldn't bug any of them before the Draft. They'll understandably be nervous. I'd stick through the entire proceedings, the crowds will thin out after the first round (if not earlier). The prospects will be wearing their jerseys (much easier to ID who is who at that point) and probably will be relieved that they've been picked.

Many of them will just be wandering around the concourse afterwards. A few might be sitting in the stands with teammates who haven't been selected yet.

Might be a different vibe this year since many of them might be staying in Manhattan rather than Newark. Also it's a bit different since everything's in one day this year.

In 2010/LA, many of them just went across the street for dinner. But there aren't quite as many dining options outside of Prudential Center.

WIth it ending at 10pm, everybody might be in a rush to get back. Other years, prospects would be taking photos outside of the arena after it ended on ~1pm on Saturday. I got to have a quick chat with Steve Thomas. Also had a quick interaction with Kirill Kabanov, Brad Ross, and Tom Kuehnhackl. Pretty sure I took a picture for Sami Aitokallio and his parents.

Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 03:02 PM
Brodeur

Quote:
Tom Gulitti ‏@TGfireandice 4m

Saturday's NHL top prospects clinic at 1 p.m. Pru Center practice rink (Jones, MadKinnon, Drouin & Nurse will be there) is open to public.
That might be a cool little event attend.

Old
06-28-2013, 03:37 PM
littleD

Send a message via MSN to littleD
My suggestion for attending the draft is... don't.

Don't people find these things incredibly boring to be at live? In 2008, I was ready to leave after about 10 picks. Left with most of the crowd after the home team chose at 15.

littleD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 03:45 PM
Brodeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleD View Post
My suggestion for attending the draft is... don't.

Don't people find these things incredibly boring to be at live? In 2008, I was ready to leave after about 10 picks. Left with most of the crowd after the home team chose at 15.
It's not for everybody. I was kinda stunned about the number of people who attend and have almost zero knowledge of any of the prospects. I could understand how they would get nothing out of it. Kinda wanted to ask them "what were you expecting?" Most fans only care about their own teams. It's kinda geeky armchair GM fun to sit through and debate what other teams should do.

I probably mentioned it a million times, but Day #2 was by far more enjoyable for me. Day #1 gets all the glamour, but you can have a front row seat for the proceedings when everybody else leaves.

Old
06-28-2013, 03:59 PM
dougiebrown

For those attending, just a bit of personal advice. I've seen some that have mentioned Edison Ale House, across from the Box Office, as a good place to go beforehand. Now, I have nothing against the EAH. I like the bar. They have a nice beer selection, including a good number of craft beers. However, their drink prices are waaaaaay overpriced. Like, NYC/Arena priced. A decent IPA goes for $8. This is why I prefer Hell's Kitchen. Smaller beer list, but still a decent selection, and usually good game night prices under $5 a beer, sometimes even $3 for something like a HopDevil. Just my own two cents.

dougiebrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 05:45 PM
Welcome2Hell

Hows brick city is that still good? and yes Hobbys is amazing food im thinking about eating there, then bar hopping my way to Hell's for when the devils pick

Welcome2Hell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 07:21 PM
MJMazzarone
#WinitforLarry

I was going to suggest Uber Burger but I think they might be closed temporarily. Not 100% sure. Shame if they are though... would be a prime time to get business. (and they had decent burgers)

MJMazzarone is offline   Reply With Quote