HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Was Handzus a "missing piece" ?

Old
06-26-2013, 02:56 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

vCash: 500
he was worth that 4th pick and it worked out well. Better than a 1st for Roy

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 03:00 PM
Paul4587

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryU View Post
How'd that work out for ya??
Apparently better than 28 other teams in the NHL.

Paul4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 04:05 PM
hockeyjack89
R.I.P. Thrashers

I thought he was pretty good.

hockeyjack89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 04:18 PM
Whiskeypete

he was definitely a significant piece to help the BH's win. he gave them the depth at C they have needed for quite some time.

i liked him in LA and appreciated what he did while there. happy to see Zus get his day. the guy has always been well respected, so its great to see someone deserving win the Cup

Whiskeypete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 05:29 PM
3rd Guy High

Am I the only one who didn't think he was as great as people are making him out to be? Hes just the type of player with enough hockey IQ that you can plug him in between two great wingers (Sharp and Hossa) and not bring them down. He's just kinda there. I think his production was more a result of playing with Sharp and Hossa.

Granted, I didn't see him play in San Jose so I could be way off here, but it's not like he was an impact player in the playoffs.

3rd Guy High is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 06:17 PM
ClydeLee

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd Guy High View Post
Am I the only one who didn't think he was as great as people are making him out to be? Hes just the type of player with enough hockey IQ that you can plug him in between two great wingers (Sharp and Hossa) and not bring them down. He's just kinda there. I think his production was more a result of playing with Sharp and Hossa.

Granted, I didn't see him play in San Jose so I could be way off here, but it's not like he was an impact player in the playoffs.
No, I think mostly everyone is aware of that.. but the Hawks have also been failing at that role prior with Shaw-Kruger-Bolland or anyone else being attempted to fit as the other 2nd line piece to compliment their top 4 by simply keeping up and aiding the offense.

ClydeLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 12:09 AM
WarriorofTime

I was very happy for Handzus.

In the 2006 offseason, the Hawks who were terrible, traded away their top scorer from the previous year in Kyle Calder to get Michal Handzus from the Flyers. He was brought in to be the team's #1 Center. With more ice time than he had gotten at any time in his career, he got off to a very good start to the season with 8 points in his first 8 games. However, on that 8th game he tore his ACL and missed the rest of the season. Now that Hawks team would have been bad and missed the playoffs anyways.. However, with Handzus it's a virtual certainty they get at least 1 more point during the season and move back a couple of spots in the draft order. As it turns out, the Hawks finished 5th to last and won the draft lottery to move up to 1st where they selected... Patrick Kane.

Those were Handzus's only 8 games with the Blackhawks and he went to LA that offseason. Chances are most people forgot he was ever even with the Hawks back then. However, by getting injured he played a critical role in the Hawks rebuild and they never become Stanley Cup Champs without that happening.. which is horrible to think about it considering you never want to see a player suffer such a devastating injury.

Very nice given those circumstances that he was able to come back to Chicago all these years later and be a key contributor to the Hawks winning the Cup

WarriorofTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 08:11 AM
CapitalistInfidel

Handzus had a heck of a series but Roszival was the missing piece. Just look at his play when Keith was suspended. He ate up his minutes and then when Q decided to bench Leddy (what did he get, 3 minutes a game the last 2 or 3 games?) he again was getting close to 20 minutes a game.

CapitalistInfidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 08:22 AM
Confound
-Vindicated-

Who did he play with a lot, Kane and Sharp besides the last 3 or 4 games against Boston? Any center would look good in between those two guys.

Confound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 08:57 AM
WarriorofTime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Confound View Post
Who did he play with a lot, Kane and Sharp besides the last 3 or 4 games against Boston? Any center would look good in between those two guys.
Dave Bolland disagrees.

WarriorofTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 09:16 AM
GaryU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul4587 View Post
Apparently better than 28 other teams in the NHL.
Who's Cup do you get for 2nd?

GaryU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 11:13 AM
BoyntBergie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Moss View Post
So what's Chara then? Punched Crosby in the jaw, targeted Toews' head after Boychuk ran him over. I lost all respect for him as well.
Oh no!! Not that!!

As a Bruins fan, Handzus was one of my most disliked players this series. Was chippy and annoying.

That said, he was HUGE for the Hawks. An absolute difference maker in the series.

BoyntBergie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 12:08 PM
Hesher
down on the upside

vCash: 50
People forget that Coach Q knew him from his days in St. Louis. Granted 2013 Handzus is different from 2000 Handzus but Q and the coaching staff more or less knew what to expect from him. That said he played much better than anyone could have expected.

Hesher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 03:36 AM
thirtysix*

sharks had way too many amazing centers and were having an AWFUL stretch of bad play for awhile. inserting a player into a winning atmosphere is never a bad thing either, but yeah he was a good pick up for them.

thirtysix* is offline   Reply With Quote