HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oilers and Gagner working on extension: [UPD: Elected Arbitration]

Closed Thread

Old
06-28-2013, 01:07 AM
armandh01

vCash: 500
Honestly. We have a lot of overpayed players and some may be gone via trade. Combined with buyouts and we have some serious cap.

Overpayed: Hemsky, Horcoff and NSchultz
Buyouts: Smyth and Belanger

That's a **** ton of cap space. Even if you still have to fill majority of the roles. Go offer Lecavlier some cash and manage the cap structure by employing quality players on a lower salary like a good team should.

Overpaying Gagner is horrendous if it comes with a NMC. If he wants north of 5m, go offer Vinny like 6.5m.

Old
06-28-2013, 01:07 AM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Brutal thing is, if Sam goes, so does our already effing terrible C depth.

Old
06-28-2013, 01:09 AM
shoop
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petes2424 View Post
The problem is, the market is kind of set with the O'Reilly contract.
O'Reilly is a very good comparable.

I'd be fine with 2 years $5M AAV for Gagner. If he wants a longer term and/or a NMC then take some money off the AAV. 1/2 a million or so for a couple more years. 1/4 million for the NMC. Four years with an AAV of $4M to $4.25M? Yeah, that wouldn't be too bad. Big question is hard feelings among other players who don't have the NMC.

I have no idea why Colorado matched that offer sheet. A likely high first round pick in a deep draft for 1 season and a third of a guy with potential and an ok track record in the league.

Guess they aren't the first team to decide a little late in the game they are going into re-build mode.

Old
06-28-2013, 01:10 AM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

vCash: 610
I think his agent may have just negotiated him out of town.

Old
06-28-2013, 01:15 AM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiltankjob 4 93 64 View Post
5 years @ 4.6
What tangible difference is 175K going to make on the cap?

Seriously.

Old
06-28-2013, 01:15 AM
shoop
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
I just don't see him settling for $4 mil/yr even with a NMC.
He and his agent know that the Oilers center depth is horrid without him and he came off of a career year offensively at least PPGwise so they're going for the gold trying to squeeze everything out of a desperate GM that they can.
I just hope that MacT doesn't cave. It would set a bad precedent for future negotiations namely RNH.
There are going to be a lot of Cs on the market. MacT definitely doesn't need to act desperately at this point.

Completely agree that it's a good thing for MacT to hold his ground. If he gives Gags anything over $4.5M per then it will be time to start the fire MacT threads.

Old
06-28-2013, 01:16 AM
Burnt Biscuits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eytinge View Post
Limitied NTC if he takes a lower caphit? Sure.

4.5-5 million with a NTC? Sorry, no.
I agree NTC's are for players who take sweetheart deals to stay with a team and don't want their generosity taken advantage of, by being traded elsewhere. I am actually happy his agent is asking for an NTC cause to me it means Gagner really does want to stay here through the thick and the thin of it all, but when you combine this with the rumored contract demands it is just asking for too much.

Old
06-28-2013, 01:20 AM
OiledUp

Gagner wanting an NTC kind of makes me like him more. Kid wants to stay in town.
I wouldn't be against giving him something like a six(or even seven) year deal in the 4M ball park with some sort of limited NMC. Even he deteriorate to a great 3rd line winger in 4 years 4M with the cap likely to go up is tolerable and I myself think he'll just get better in the next 5-6 years.
That's pretty solid cap management. If they can push it towards 3,5 then even better. Then I'd consider a fulll NTC.

Edit: Come to think about it I'd be fine with a full NTC at around 4M as well however at the negotiations I'd be very against it

Old
06-28-2013, 01:37 AM
SephF
See you next time

Only way I'd give Gagner a NTC is if he'd take 4.25 or less. Who knows, maybe he plays better not always having to worry about being on the trade block.

Old
06-28-2013, 01:37 AM
Hockey Buddha
Darnell Nurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnt Biscuits View Post
I agree NTC's are for players who take sweetheart deals to stay with a team and don't want their generosity taken advantage of, by being traded elsewhere. I am actually happy his agent is asking for an NTC cause to me it means Gagner really does want to stay here through the thick and the thin of it all, but when you combine this with the rumored contract demands it is just asking for too much.
That's where I'm at as well. The good teams in the league have a lot of NMC/NTC contracts.

Hawks have 6
Bruins have 11
Detroit has 7
Penguins have 8

Oilers have 1

The Oilers are a team that needs to become an attractive destination that players want to stay. A lot of that has to do with on-ice success. Gagner wanting a NMC/NTC should be a positive sign.

Quote:
Gagner wanting an NTC kind of makes me like him more. Kid wants to stay in town.
I wouldn't be against giving him something like a six(or even seven) year deal in the 4M ball park with some sort of limited NMC. Even he deteriorate to a great 3rd line winger in 4 years 4M with the cap likely to go up is tolerable and I myself think he'll just get better in the next 5-6 years.
That's pretty solid cap management. If they can push it towards 3,5 then even better. Then I'd consider a fulll NTC.

Edit: Come to think about it I'd be fine with a full NTC at around 4M as well however at the negotiations I'd be very against it
Sam's a dedicated pro. I'd go between 4 and 5 M on him. I don't think we'd get burned signing this kid up long-term either.

Old
06-28-2013, 01:41 AM
shoop
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Buddha View Post
Sam's a dedicated pro. I'd go between 4 and 5 M on him. I don't think we'd get burned signing this kid up long-term either.
That's a huge range for salary. That being said if a deal gets done it will be somewhere in there. $4M would be a big win for the Oilers. $5M a big win for Gagner.

I could see $4.5M and would be quite happy with anything below that.

Old
06-28-2013, 01:41 AM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

vCash: 610
Wha? Having a NTC/NMC is all about the player determining where he is to be traded, at the expense of the trade return for the team. It has nothing to do with the player's loyalty to the team he is signing with.

Old
06-28-2013, 01:48 AM
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Dad View Post
Wha? Having a NTC/NMC is all about the player determining where he is to be traded, at the expense of the trade return for the team. It has nothing to do with the player's loyalty to the team he is signing with.
Carter/Richards say whats up.

Old
06-28-2013, 01:51 AM
Petes2424

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoop View Post
O'Reilly is a very good comparable.

I'd be fine with 2 years $5M AAV for Gagner. If he wants a longer term and/or a NMC then take some money off the AAV. 1/2 a million or so for a couple more years. 1/4 million for the NMC. Four years with an AAV of $4M to $4.25M? Yeah, that wouldn't be too bad. Big question is hard feelings among other players who don't have the NMC.

I have no idea why Colorado matched that offer sheet. A likely high first round pick in a deep draft for 1 season and a third of a guy with potential and an ok track record in the league.

Guess they aren't the first team to decide a little late in the game they are going into re-build mode.
They should've never let it get that far.

Old
06-28-2013, 01:52 AM
shoop
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Dad View Post
This.

That's why it's gotta be worth at least half a million a year.

Old
06-28-2013, 02:47 AM
Topkatz

This is a pipe dream but trade Gagner and Horcoff, acquire a talented d-man, sign Lecavalier to a cheap 2 year deal, trade Hemsky for a great 3rd line centre, sign or trade for other 3rd liners or bring up kids to completely revamp 3rd line.

Schultz - ??? (Gardiner?)
Smid - Petry
Klefbom - Belov/Schultz/???

Hall - RNH - Eberle
MPS - Lecavalier - Yakupov
??? - ??? - ???
??? - Lander - Brown/Petrell

?????
Profit!

Last edited by Topkatz: 06-28-2013 at 03:02 AM.
Old
06-28-2013, 02:50 AM
Oiltankjob Fail

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
What tangible difference is 175K going to make on the cap?

Seriously.
Just think this is what he ends up inking.

Old
06-28-2013, 02:53 AM
Puritania
Skooma Addict

vCash: 900
I hate NTC's. Between Gagner wanting more than 4.5 mil. and this, I'd be...not happy to move him, but very willing.

Old
06-28-2013, 03:33 AM
Baggers

If Gagner were willing to accept a 5-year, 20 mil contract, I'd be willing to give him a NTC. If he wants a NTC and more than 4.25/year, he's dreaming (and I want the Oilers to keep him).

Old
06-28-2013, 03:50 AM
I am the Liquor

Give him a NTC where he has to provide a list of 29 teams he is willing to accept a trade to.

I could live with that.

Old
06-28-2013, 04:04 AM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Give him a NTC where he has to provide a list of 29 teams he is willing to accept a trade to.

I could live with that.
At least be nice and say 28. Nobody should have to go to the Flames

06-28-2013, 09:38 AM
Sloth Slothersons*
They cut my beard

Tell him to shut up and take the 4 or 4.5 million over 3-4 years.

Old
06-28-2013, 09:42 AM
worraps
Acceptance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloth Slothersons View Post
Tell him to shut up and take the 4 or 4.5 million over 3-4 years.
Sloth Slothersons for GM.

Old
06-28-2013, 09:57 AM
CornKicker
Still burning Lowood

vCash: 694
i still have high hopes for sam and want him to stay. his old man hit his prime around the 5 year mark. sam has had 4.5 seasons (lockout). I expect him to make a significant leap this season and be valuable to the team.

Old
06-28-2013, 12:14 PM
Gord
Tesla

Quote:
Originally Posted by OiledUp View Post

I see so many other teams get in trouble by handing out NTC/NMC like candy. I'd rather have the Oilers pay more and retain all the power when it comes to getting rid of the player.

Please Oilers, DON"T start giving out a NTC. please!

Closed Thread