HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

It's Garrioch, So....

Old
06-28-2013, 07:21 AM
Georgia Panther

vCash: 500
It's Garrioch, So....

Confirm or deny: The Florida Panthers tried to acquire Matt Duchene from the Avs and were quickly turned down?

http://www.ottawasun.com/2013/06/27/...end-in-the-nhl

Georgia Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 07:27 AM
Georgia Panther

Well, if true, at least Tallon is trying to find a center.

Old
06-28-2013, 07:29 AM
gudzilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia Panther View Post
im not so sure i'd prefer mackinnon over duchene

duchene is bit older, not under control as long but he can def. instantly step in

this also screams that they don't want to give up a center, does this mean they plan on drafting seth jones 1OA?

gudzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 07:35 AM
Dread Clawz
Markstrom Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida pwnthers View Post

duchene is bit older, not under control as long but he can def. instantly step in

this also screams that they don't want to give up a center, does this mean they plan on drafting seth jones 1OA?
I doubt it, Sakic had serious wood yesterday when he was talking about MacKinnon to the media. He said they know who they want at #1 and are looking forward to picking him.

Dread Clawz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 07:44 AM
Georgia Panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida pwnthers View Post

That is a thought. Perhaps Tallon made a strong offer, Gudbranson+ or Kulikov+ to test Colorado's resolve in selecting MacKinnon. By the way I read that the Av's may ask O'Reilly to move to wing.

Old
06-28-2013, 07:54 AM
Boooooth10

Quote:
Why wouldn't he? He knows there's a giant gaping hole there.

Boooooth10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 08:13 AM
Georgia Panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boooooth10 View Post
Well, there was the quote from Santos about all the young centers we have and in the pipeline so that made it sound like they may look for a stop gap. Duchene would not be that. Bolland and his one year contract would.

Old
06-28-2013, 08:20 AM
Georgia Panther

By the way, I like Bolland as a player. But he's a 3c on a good team. May be a good fit here long term, he's only 27, but where does that leave Shore?

Old
06-28-2013, 08:31 AM
ShootIt

Wonder if it was the #2ovr for Matt?

ShootIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 08:46 AM
AaronEkbald
Lu

Trying to make up for not being able to pick MacKinnon..

Before the draft even happens, lol.

AaronEkbald is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 08:56 AM
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
Quote:
By the way, I like Bolland as a player. But he's a 3c on a good team. May be a good fit here long term, he's only 27, but where does that leave Shore?
In the short term, it would be Bolland as our #2 center, Goc is the #3 guy next yr and I think Shore fills that #4 spot. Long term, I would envision that eventually Bjugstad is going to push guys down the depth chart and he'll be a top 6 center with Shore & Bolland as the bottom 6 guys where they are more of a fit.

I think Tallon will either trade for or sign a stopgap center for our top line...who that is, I dont know.

Coolburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 09:03 AM
Georgia Panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolburn View Post
In the short term, it would be Bolland as our #2 center, Goc is the #3 guy next yr and I think Shore fills that #4 spot. Long term, I would envision that eventually Bjugstad is going to push guys down the depth chart and he'll be a top 6 center with Shore & Bolland as the bottom 6 guys where they are more of a fit.

I think Tallon will either trade for or sign a stopgap center for our top line...who that is, I dont know.
The thing about Bolland is he already makes $3.75mil with a year to go before he's a UFA and he would be making a lot of money if re-signed and that's a lot of money if you see him as a bottom 6 guy in a couple of years.

Old
06-28-2013, 09:09 AM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

I imagine the "No." came just as quick, or quicker, than the rumored "Avs told Florida the price for swapping picks is Gudbranson."

I honestly thought that some deal would happen between the two teams, involving one of the Panthers' prospects that aren't held in the same regard as Kulikov or Gudbranson, but strong enough/have enough value/quality that the Avs would swap down. (Someone like Shore/Petrovic/Robak/etc. not sure how off I am there)

But more and more it's looking like the Avs are going to stand-pat, take MacKinnon, the Panthers will stand pat, have their pick of either Drouin, Jones or Barkov and still get a hell of a player that will contribute as soon as next year.

Take me to church, I'll worship like a dog at the shrine of your lies. I'll tell you my sins and you can sharpen your knife.
RockLobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 12:59 PM
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
Quote:
The thing about Bolland is he already makes $3.75mil with a year to go before he's a UFA and he would be making a lot of money if re-signed and that's a lot of money if you see him as a bottom 6 guy in a couple of years.
Just to clarify he's making $3.375M next yr, not $3.75M. Plus its not like Weiss' situation where he's actually getting paid more (Weiss' paycheck was for $4.1M but cap hit was only $3.1M), cap hit & salary is same for Bolland. We can do something like we could've done with Weiss getting a front-loaded extension so that when he's not the #2C, that he's getting paid accordingly.

That said, maybe Tallon thinks he can re-sign Bolland for a more decent price than what Weiss was commanding and so it becomes a more affordable option that way long term. His production hasnt been such that he'll command a huge salary as a UFA so lets say we re-sign him similar to guys currently on the roster (in the $4-4.5M range). And if Bolland was too expensive to re-sign and/or Bjugstad & Shore start taking big steps forward during next season, then the team can just move on from Bolland because we already have depth & ability in the lineup and Bolland was a good stopgap for next season while those guys develop more.

Regardless, we really need to figure out someone can fill the hole as the #1C and I'm struggling to see who/where that will come from. Duchene was worth kicking the tires on but everyone had to know the price would be steep. Maybe it was Tallon figuring a way to say well what about a deal for Stastny but we need him re-signed before we could do a deal.

Coolburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 02:39 PM
Acadmus

Quote:
If there's truth to it, in all likelihood Tallon was trying to get Duchesne as a concession for trading someone else to Colorado with the #2 pick to get the #1 pick. In which case maybe he wants Jones AND a center?

And no wonder then that he got turned down.

06-28-2013, 02:45 PM
Crossbar

It's probably Tallon seeing how much in love the Quebec Nord....er....Colorado Avalanche are with a MacK-Drouin package, but perhaps Avs feel Drouin could still be available with a trade with Tampa/Nashville.

Crossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 02:53 PM
Dread Clawz
Markstrom Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLobster View Post
I imagine the "No." came just as quick, or quicker, than the rumored "Avs told Florida the price for swapping picks is Gudbranson."

I honestly thought that some deal would happen between the two teams, involving one of the Panthers' prospects that aren't held in the same regard as Kulikov or Gudbranson, but strong enough/have enough value/quality that the Avs would swap down. (Someone like Shore/Petrovic/Robak/etc. not sure how off I am there)

But more and more it's looking like the Avs are going to stand-pat, take MacKinnon, the Panthers will stand pat, have their pick of either Drouin, Jones or Barkov and still get a hell of a player that will contribute as soon as next year.
I know why the Avs have to ask for that, but there's no way Tallon is going to give up Shore or Petrovic to move up one spot. Jones is on the same level as MacKinnon and Barkov and Drouin are considered blue chippers too. It's best if everyone keeps their picks, if the Avs really desire MacKinnon as much as they appear to. That's why trades with the #1 rarely happen.

Old
06-28-2013, 07:40 PM
Georgia Panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
That's why trades with the #1 rarely happen.
Rick Dudley would disagree with you.

Old
06-28-2013, 09:19 PM
Dread Clawz
Markstrom Rules

Quote:
Rick Dudley would disagree with you.
He traded the #1 pick twice. Only two other times in the history of the NHL draft has the #1 pick been traded.

Old
06-28-2013, 09:25 PM
Georgia Panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
He traded the #1 pick twice. Only two other times in the history of the NHL draft has the #1 pick been traded.
Which is why I said Rick Dudley would disagree with you, 2 for 2 when he had the Pick I believe.

Old
06-28-2013, 11:55 PM
Heimy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boooooth10 View Post
Speaking of Mrs. Heimy, we celebrated our 36th anniversary yesterday.

Heimy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 03:09 AM
Desert Panther
Resident Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heimy View Post
Speaking of Mrs. Heimy, we celebrated our 36th anniversary yesterday.
Yaaaaaaaaay!!! He's back!!!

Desert Panther is offline   Reply With Quote