HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Vincent Lecavalier Thread - Part II: Bergevin's headache

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-28-2013, 09:14 AM
  #1
Jee
Moderator
@DeuxiemeJumeau
 
Jee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Montréal
Country: Ireland
Posts: 18,054
vCash: 500
The Vincent Lecavalier Thread - Part II: Bergevin's headache

Part I : http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1455019

tl;dr :

Continue here.

Jee is offline  
Old
06-28-2013, 09:21 AM
  #2
Brainiac
Registered User
 
Brainiac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Montreal
Posts: 4,232
vCash: 500
Just read the news this morning.

I'd say big LOL at those saying it's a done deal AND those saying Vinny won't come here ever.

I think MB will submit an offer, maybe a reasonable one. We have cap space no problem and can manage that.

But then, really, it will be up to Vinny. Another team will offer more than the Habs, that's almost a given.

Vinny will be a Habs if he really wants to. The rest is pure speculation. Just journalist saying what they think and what they supposedly 'heard'.

Brainiac is online now  
Old
06-28-2013, 09:22 AM
  #3
ZARTONK
Headscratcher!
 
ZARTONK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Armenia
Posts: 9,098
vCash: 500
How early can he be signed? Could it happen today? I really don't know the rules on these things.

ZARTONK is online now  
Old
06-28-2013, 09:24 AM
  #4
Uber Coca
Registered User
 
Uber Coca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,467
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZARTONK View Post
How early can he be signed? Could it happen today? I really don't know the rules on these things.
I may be wrong, but I think you hit UFA status once you get bought out.

Uber Coca is online now  
Old
06-28-2013, 09:25 AM
  #5
Marc-E-
Registered User
 
Marc-E-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Montréal, Québec
Posts: 1,447
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainiac View Post
Just read the news this morning.

I'd say big LOL at those saying it's a done deal AND those saying Vinny won't come here ever.

I think MB will submit an offer, maybe a reasonable one. We have cap space no problem and can manage that.

But then, really, it will be up to Vinny. Another team will offer more than the Habs, that's almost a given.

Vinny will be a Habs if he really wants to. The rest is pure speculation. Just journalist saying what they think and what they supposedly 'heard'.
+1 Marc Bergevin will do his job by submitting an offer. After that it's up to Lecavalier to accept it or turning down it. No headache there.

Marc-E- is offline  
Old
06-28-2013, 09:26 AM
  #6
Jee
Moderator
@DeuxiemeJumeau
 
Jee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Montréal
Country: Ireland
Posts: 18,054
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZARTONK View Post
How early can he be signed? Could it happen today? I really don't know the rules on these things.
From my understanding, when the FA market opens, which means july 5th.

But I'm probably wrong, because I suck at this.

Jee is offline  
Old
06-28-2013, 09:32 AM
  #7
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Renfrew, ON.
Country: Canada
Posts: 42,716
vCash: 500
Any player bought out cannot sign until July 5th.

There's a 2 day period (July 3rd and 4th) where teams can talk to the UFAs, but no contract can be signed until July 5th.

Also, Brad May is apparently reporting that Lecavalier WON'T sign in Canada.

It is Brad May, though...

Analyzer is offline  
Old
06-28-2013, 09:33 AM
  #8
Habster33
In Habs we trust!
 
Habster33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 331
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jee View Post
From my understanding, when the FA market opens, which means july 5th.

But I'm probably wrong, because I suck at this.
Nope you're right! Teams can only sign him on July 5th but since he's being bought out, teams could start talking to his agent as soon as Vinny was advised. This rule has to do with the buyout thing.

Renaud Lavoie ‏
@RenLavoieRDS 14h All teams can talk to Vincent Lecavalier and his agent Kent Hughes. No contract can be signed before July 5th. #RDS


Last edited by Habster33: 06-28-2013 at 09:42 AM.
Habster33 is offline  
Old
06-28-2013, 09:34 AM
  #9
ZARTONK
Headscratcher!
 
ZARTONK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Armenia
Posts: 9,098
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Any player bought out cannot sign until July 5th.

There's a 2 day period (July 3rd and 4th) where teams can talk to the UFAs, but no contract can be signed until July 5th.

Also, Brad May is apparently reporting that Lecavalier WON'T sign in Canada.

It is Brad May, though...
Ah ****, I was really hoping for some Vinny trade drama at the draft...

ZARTONK is online now  
Old
06-28-2013, 09:35 AM
  #10
Habster33
In Habs we trust!
 
Habster33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 331
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Any player bought out cannot sign until July 5th.

There's a 2 day period (July 3rd and 4th) where teams can talk to the UFAs, but no contract can be signed until July 5th.

Also, Brad May is apparently reporting that Lecavalier WON'T sign in Canada.

It is Brad May, though...
I'm pretty positive that as soon as he bought out, teams can contact his agent to know if there's any interest.

Habster33 is offline  
Old
06-28-2013, 09:39 AM
  #11
RC51
Registered User
 
RC51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 3,691
vCash: 500
Vinny is exactly the player the habs need for the next 3-4 years.
Vinny already has a condo in montreal, already knows everyone here, already knows MB and a few other in the habs management, already has 1/2 his family here in Montreal already has his secret personal workout gym on Donegani if MB offers him to match any offer and he still refuses! what will that tell you about Vinny.

RC51 is offline  
Old
06-28-2013, 09:40 AM
  #12
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Renfrew, ON.
Country: Canada
Posts: 42,716
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habster33 View Post
I'm pretty positive that as soon as he bought out, teams can contact his agent to know if there's any interest.
They can for those bought out. The other part was meant for regular ufas (?)

I should have specified. My bad.

Analyzer is offline  
Old
06-28-2013, 09:42 AM
  #13
le_sean
Registered User
 
le_sean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ottawa
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 15,166
vCash: 500
Is Vinny married to a French Canadian? At this point it should be about family for him. That will be the big draw here.

le_sean is offline  
Old
06-28-2013, 09:43 AM
  #14
Brainiac
Registered User
 
Brainiac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Montreal
Posts: 4,232
vCash: 500
Do these buyouts UFAs have any 'rights' that can be traded for?

I guess not, but it would be nice for TB to get a conditional 5th round pick. That would be the most expensive 5th round pick ever!

And, ladies and gentlemen, we just reached over 1000 posts on Vinny. The main board is around 860 posts and TB board is at 244.

So yeah ---> we are (not like it's newsworthy at this point)

Brainiac is online now  
Old
06-28-2013, 09:43 AM
  #15
Habster33
In Habs we trust!
 
Habster33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 331
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
They can for those bought out. The other part was meant for regular ufas (?)

I should have specified. My bad.
Well I didn't know that teams can contact players 2 days prior to July 5th. That's good to know

Habster33 is offline  
Old
06-28-2013, 09:44 AM
  #16
CoconutHockey
Registered User
 
CoconutHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 69
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Any player bought out cannot sign until July 5th.

There's a 2 day period (July 3rd and 4th) where teams can talk to the UFAs, but no contract can be signed until July 5th.

Also, Brad May is apparently reporting that Lecavalier WON'T sign in Canada.

It is Brad May, though...
The 2 day period does not apply for UFA that have been bought out by their team. Teams can start talking to these players as soon as they clear waivers & become UFA.

CoconutHockey is offline  
Old
06-28-2013, 09:49 AM
  #17
Brainiac
Registered User
 
Brainiac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Montreal
Posts: 4,232
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
Is Vinny married to a French Canadian? At this point it should be about family for him. That will be the big draw here.
That may be the big factor, actually. He's married with two kids.

You guys think only about hockey. Hockey is a given for him. He's gonna play for the next 4-5 years anyway. So he actually thinks about having a stable situation WITH his wife and kids.

Mama Lecavalier will complain that she doesn't see her grandchildren enough and a deal will be signed, for all we know.

Brainiac is online now  
Old
06-28-2013, 09:51 AM
  #18
Brainiac
Registered User
 
Brainiac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Montreal
Posts: 4,232
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LHJMQFan1 View Post
The 2 day period does not apply for UFA that have been bought out by their team. Teams can start talking to these players as soon as they clear waivers & become UFA.
That would make sense, because they can't re-sign with their team, so they don't have any 'rights'.

And Gomez would still be waiting...

Brainiac is online now  
Old
06-28-2013, 09:53 AM
  #19
le_sean
Registered User
 
le_sean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ottawa
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 15,166
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainiac View Post
That may be the big factor, actually. He's married with two kids.

You guys think only about hockey. Hockey is a given for him. He's gonna play for the next 4-5 years anyway. So he actually thinks about having a stable situation WITH his wife and kids.

Mama Lecavalier will complain that she doesn't see her grandchildren enough and a deal will be signed, for all we know.
Plus it's not like the team sucks. We're not the Flames here.

le_sean is offline  
Old
06-28-2013, 09:59 AM
  #20
DJyellow
Registered User
 
DJyellow's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Laval
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,578
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to DJyellow
All the stars are aligned to have him sign in MTL... but it is really up to him. I am 100% certain that Bergevin will make a strong offer.

He'll be glorified if he accepts it or villified if he doesn't.

DJyellow is offline  
Old
06-28-2013, 10:00 AM
  #21
Jee
Moderator
@DeuxiemeJumeau
 
Jee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Montréal
Country: Ireland
Posts: 18,054
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
Plus it's not like the team sucks. We're not the Flames here.
or the Toronto Maple Leafs.

Jee is offline  
Old
06-28-2013, 10:02 AM
  #22
irunthepeg
THE ONE WHO KNOCKS
 
irunthepeg's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: The Peg, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,506
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
Plus it's not like the team sucks. We're not the Flames here.
Exactly. A few years ago he might have thought "I don't want to go to a team on the fall..." but now that the Habs have turned it around he can say "Hell yeah, this team is getting better" and he could provide a great mentor role to a lot of our young guys, plus he could still get great top 6 minutes. Plus the hero coming home stuff...

I really hope he signs with the Habs (or if he plans on going back to TB soon-ish and doesn't pick the Habs, I hope it's the Blackhawks).

irunthepeg is offline  
Old
06-28-2013, 10:06 AM
  #23
Et le But
Moderator
 
Et le But's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: New York
Country: Argentina
Posts: 18,010
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jee View Post
Are you going to keep that avatar when he signs elsewhere?

Et le But is offline  
Old
06-28-2013, 10:08 AM
  #24
Jee
Moderator
@DeuxiemeJumeau
 
Jee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Montréal
Country: Ireland
Posts: 18,054
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Are you going to keep that avatar when he signs elsewhere?
It doesn't matter where he signs, I'll change it the day it happens.

Jee is offline  
Old
06-28-2013, 10:11 AM
  #25
le_sean
Registered User
 
le_sean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ottawa
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 15,166
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WordUp View Post
Exactly. A few years ago he might have thought "I don't want to go to a team on the fall..." but now that the Habs have turned it around he can say "Hell yeah, this team is getting better" and he could provide a great mentor role to a lot of our young guys, plus he could still get great top 6 minutes. Plus the hero coming home stuff...

I really hope he signs with the Habs (or if he plans on going back to TB soon-ish and doesn't pick the Habs, I hope it's the Blackhawks).
Some teams might give him the opportunity to be "the guy", but I think he's passed that. I don't think he's capable anymore, and he probably realizes this too. Now the Catch 22 is the Habs would not need him to be the guy, but the media might proclaim him to be. This is the drawback.

le_sean is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:27 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.