HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

UFA Thread

Closed Thread

Old
06-28-2013, 08:10 AM
Drake744
Unregistered User

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashville615 View Post
Weiss from Florida is going to hit free agency according to FLA beat writer. How do you guys feel about him as an option at C?
He's a good player (I actually have a Weiss shersey from my Florida days, so I'm biased) but the fact is he's been with a crappy team his whole career. He won't want to be a part of another rebuilding process. If he's on a bad team, he'll re-sign in Sunrise.

Old
06-28-2013, 08:20 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Weiss is another Legwand\Fisher. We don't need to spend our limited cash on another defensive-minded, "okay" offense forward.

Old
06-28-2013, 09:37 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
question: do bought out players have to wait until July 5 to sign?

I wouldnt think so, since after the buyout they arent under contract, unlike players becoming UFA who are technically still under contract with their old teams until July 5.

so we may see the first wave of UFA signings as soon as tomorrow, right?

Old
06-28-2013, 09:38 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
question: do bought out players have to wait until July 5 to sign?

I wouldnt think so, since after the buyout they arent under contract, unlike players becoming UFA who are technically still under contract with their old teams until July 5.

so we may see the first wave of UFA signings as soon as tomorrow, right?
I think they become UFA, so I'd guess yes.

Old
06-28-2013, 10:29 AM
glenngineer

I think the buyouts become free agents when free agency starts, not once the buyouts happen.

Old
06-28-2013, 10:44 AM
glenngineer

While some think Weiss is a bad fit for us, the guy before this season averaged around 58 points a season. While not top 3 numbers he is a top 6. He is another Legwand/Fisher. There is no denying that. I think if Poile targets him, it's much like he did with Lombardi. Role 3 lines with centers that are solid two players that can chip in 45-60 points a year. Not sexy but you do get matchups that favor your team as opposed to the other team. Any of our top 3 lines would have the ability to play the shutdown role or at the very worst, they'd get a matchup against another teams 3rd line and we'd have more offense coming from further down our roster than most teams.

Once again, not sexy but he may be one of the better options out there. Now if we finally move Wilson to center and either Fisher or Legwand to wing, now our depth is even better and we have a top line possibility with Wilson and whoever his linemates are and we are looking like a more balanced and deeper NHL team.

A lot hinges on the draft obviously so if we land Barkov, I can see us looking for wingers in free agency. If we land Drouin in the draft, Weiss, Ribiero and Bozak are three centers I can see Poile setting his sites on. If we draft Jones, then centers and wingers are on the table.

Old
06-28-2013, 11:14 AM
Iron Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
While some think Weiss is a bad fit for us, the guy before this season averaged around 58 points a season. While not top 3 numbers he is a top 6. He is another Legwand/Fisher. There is no denying that. I think if Poile targets him, it's much like he did with Lombardi. Role 3 lines with centers that are solid two players that can chip in 45-60 points a year. Not sexy but you do get matchups that favor your team as opposed to the other team. Any of our top 3 lines would have the ability to play the shutdown role or at the very worst, they'd get a matchup against another teams 3rd line and we'd have more offense coming from further down our roster than most teams.

Once again, not sexy but he may be one of the better options out there. Now if we finally move Wilson to center and either Fisher or Legwand to wing, now our depth is even better and we have a top line possibility with Wilson and whoever his linemates are and we are looking like a more balanced and deeper NHL team.

A lot hinges on the draft obviously so if we land Barkov, I can see us looking for wingers in free agency. If we land Drouin in the draft, Weiss, Ribiero and Bozak are three centers I can see Poile setting his sites on. If we draft Jones, then centers and wingers are on the table.
Assuming we don't land Barkov/Mackinnon, I'm probably ok with taking a flier on Weiss. Like you say, though, that's with the mindset that we're basically running three second lines. I don't really have any issue with that set-up, as it fits Preds hockey well enough, but I think those expecting significant infusions of offensive talent will be disappointed. Also wouldn't want him for anything outside of the $4M-$4.5 range, or for any longer term than probably 3-4 years.

Old
06-28-2013, 11:22 AM
Drake744
Unregistered User

Weiss will want no part of another building process.

I like him, but why would we want someone who is essentially Legwand/Fisher when we can't decide which one of those two to get rid of eventually?

Old
06-28-2013, 11:42 AM
PFL615

Since when did we start a rebuilding process?

Old
06-28-2013, 11:44 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantbeatzPekka View Post
letang. letang. letang.

is he here yet?
No, but he... wait, what? I don't even... we don't have the money or the ice time... I'm confused.

Old
06-28-2013, 12:40 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
I think the buyouts become free agents when free agency starts, not once the buyouts happen.
Dreger said that teams can talk to Lecavalier now, but he can't be signed until 7/5

Old
06-28-2013, 12:56 PM
Byrddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashville615 View Post
Since when did we start a rebuilding process?
After the loss of Erat, SK, no back-up goalie, Not a tested qualified 1st liner on the team missing a 2nd pair defenseman questions on the bottom pair as well. That pretty much qualifies as a re-build.

Now before everyone gets there drawers in a wad. All the potential of the younger players must be repeated in most cases and shown in other cases. Not one has had a 1st line year including Wilson. We can make all the excuses we want but at the end of the day Fish and Leggy are at best 2nd line and the remainder are guys were really hoping will develop into top 6 guys.

Old
06-28-2013, 01:08 PM
Persona5

vCash: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrddog View Post
After the loss of Erat, SK, no back-up goalie, Not a tested qualified 1st liner on the team missing a 2nd pair defenseman questions on the bottom pair as well. That pretty much qualifies as a re-build.

Now before everyone gets there drawers in a wad. All the potential of the younger players must be repeated in most cases and shown in other cases. Not one has had a 1st line year including Wilson. We can make all the excuses we want but at the end of the day Fish and Leggy are at best 2nd line and the remainder are guys were really hoping will develop into top 6 guys.
Horny is a top 6 without question. You can make a strong arguement that wilson is as well. Aside from that I agree with you that the other need to prove it before we can think about calling them top 6.

As for a rebuild I don't see it that way. We have Weber and Rinne on the team and if we were truely rebuilding we would not be paying them to stay. they would be moved asap. think Calgary.

So the Pred are not rebuilding. They are retooling as a full rebuild isn't needed.

Old
06-28-2013, 01:20 PM
Byrddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persona5 View Post
Horny is a top 6 without question. You can make a strong arguement that wilson is as well. Aside from that I agree with you that the other need to prove it before we can think about calling them top 6.

As for a rebuild I don't see it that way. We have Weber and Rinne on the team and if we were truely rebuilding we would not be paying them to stay. they would be moved asap. think Calgary.

So the Pred are not rebuilding. They are retooling as a full rebuild isn't needed.
The points you make are good, I consider Horni 2nd line since his game is in front of the net getting the garbage goals and hes really good at it. We are really re-building what Calgary has done it just BLOW the team up.

Most call adjusting the team buy a couple players a tweek. #w or 4 players a mini re-build 5 or more questions on player which is really us is a rebuild. And What Calgary has done is well total dumping bare earth carnage.

Old
06-28-2013, 03:06 PM
PFL615

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrddog View Post

We are far from a rebuild. We have keys in place we just need more to get all the way through the house. Teams go through changes like we are going through all time and it is not considered a rebuild. You want to see a rebuild ..exhibit A: Columbus Blue Jackets

Old
06-28-2013, 03:11 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

I think a rebuild means a team doesn't have a legitimate core in place, and has to completely rebuild from the foundation, up. I don't see us having to do that.

Old
06-28-2013, 03:33 PM
PFL615

Well forget Richards Bob McKenzie just released that NY will not use buyout on him.

Old
06-28-2013, 03:40 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Doesn't mean they won't trade him.

Old
06-28-2013, 03:42 PM
PFL615

No it sure doesn't. Thanks tips!

Old
06-28-2013, 03:52 PM
Drake744
Unregistered User

Since this is based on my comment, my OP (at the top of the page) said rebuild. My second post on the matter just called it a building process, since I thought it was a little harsh. Obviously every team is "building" a winner, but we have quite a bit of work to do.

Old
06-28-2013, 04:58 PM
Iron Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake744 View Post
Since this is based on my comment, my OP (at the top of the page) said rebuild. My second post on the matter just called it a building process, since I thought it was a little harsh. Obviously every team is "building" a winner, but we have quite a bit of work to do.
I think the Preds are semi-unique in that they seem to have gone through multiple building periods, being forced to recreate their core, yet have remained fairly competitive throughout that process. They really haven't gone through a rebuild in which they've blown the team up, yet even the last few years have been a rebuild of sorts as they've transitioned away from the Arnott-Sullivan-Dumont-Suter-Weber-Hamhuis group to build around a group consisting of Weber-Rinne-Josi-Hornqvist-Wilson, etc... And that prior group was built out of another core group before that. That the team has remained a consistent player in the playoff picture speaks pretty highly of the skill with which the organization has been run, relatively speaking. Continuity and consistent performance is a very difficult thing to achieve in pro sports, especially for a an organization that has lacked in financial resources.

Old
06-28-2013, 05:14 PM
Drake744
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Duke View Post
I think the Preds are semi-unique in that they seem to have gone through multiple building periods, being forced to recreate their core, yet have remained fairly competitive throughout that process. They really haven't gone through a rebuild in which they've blown the team up, yet even the last few years have been a rebuild of sorts as they've transitioned away from the Arnott-Sullivan-Dumont-Suter-Weber-Hamhuis group to build around a group consisting of Weber-Rinne-Josi-Hornqvist-Wilson, etc... And that prior group was built out of another core group before that. That the team has remained a consistent player in the playoff picture speaks pretty highly of the skill with which the organization has been run, relatively speaking. Continuity and consistent performance is a very difficult thing to achieve in pro sports, especially for a an organization that has lacked in financial resources.
Spot on, sir.

Old
06-29-2013, 01:03 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Poile needs to go hard after Nathan Horton

Old
06-29-2013, 02:45 PM
thecloser

I second that.

Old
06-29-2013, 02:48 PM
thecloser

Also on twitter, not too long ago McKenzie said PM Bouchard is heading to free agency as well.

Closed Thread