HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Offseason Thread Part V: Trade Em All!

Closed Thread

Old
06-28-2013, 10:06 AM
Sticky Fingers

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by darko View Post
According to capgeek they only have just over 4 mill in cap space.
Is Pronger and Briere included then?

Old
06-28-2013, 10:07 AM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Eat Crow View Post
LeBrun better be wrong
Brutal decision. Absolutely brutal. But what else can you expect with the Rangers brass led by Sather and his puppet, Gorton.

Last edited by Kershaw: 06-28-2013 at 10:19 AM.
Old
06-28-2013, 10:09 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
I just think this board values young players or prospects or draft picks wayyyyy too much just my personal opinion. I'm all for youth aand we have alot of it but the way some people think Lindberg will just come in here and be a 3c or Kreider a fixture in the top 6 etc are crazy JMO would love to be proven wrong. Hank is not gonna wait and wait to win a cup and that's what scares me the most. We're not even a playoff without him
There are definitely many fans like that. Look how many want to trade Staal, an all-star dman when healthy and still young at 26, for the 5th overall pick. Yes, there are extenuating circumstances in that case, but many fans value potential more than reality. We are all guilty of it to a degree. And it's all because of that little thing called hope. We all hope that Kreider can be a 30 goal power forward. But if we lose faith that he can become that, we turn our attention to the next great hope.

It's human nature. Every fan base does it. Gardiner was the greatest thing since sliced break a couple years ago, and he still is according to most leaf fans. Just ask them. They'll tell you how awesome he is as they include him in every trade proposal.

Old
06-28-2013, 10:10 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Viper View Post
I think the idea would be to trade MDZ for a young, unproven RD who has some offensive upside + NHL winger/pick
I'd be in favor of that.

Old
06-28-2013, 10:10 AM
Lundsanity30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Youre absolutely right. But, again, I fail to see how this effects the Brad Richards situation.
It doesn't and I should have made myself more clear that I'm FOR buying him out either this or next year. My point was we will have all kinds of patience with prospects or picks but zero with Fa or trades that's not a way to build chemistry either

Old
06-28-2013, 10:11 AM
Vitto79

suuuuure sounds like B Rich is going to be around. If so its a risk but it could pay off.......not confident it will though

Maybe a full yr working out, regular camp and AV as coach will help him

On paper C is strong if Richards can bounce back.

Still think they may buy him out after they see what UFA they could get and at what price

Old
06-28-2013, 10:12 AM
NYR Viper

I am going to be pissed if Richards is around next season. That's laziness on behalf of management.

Old
06-28-2013, 10:13 AM
Riverdale

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Eat Crow View Post
LeBrun better be wrong
If Richards is on this team next year I will throw up.

We are going to be stuck with this guy.

Old
06-28-2013, 10:13 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
It doesn't and I should have made myself more clear that I'm FOR buying him out either this or next year. My point was we will have all kinds of patience with prospects or picks but zero with Fa or trades that's not a way to build chemistry either
Whats the problem with that? Young guys are coming up, making peanuts for salary, and finding their way in the NHL.

Guys that sign on as free agents are making 10x that amount, are established NHL'ers, and are expected to make an immediate and consistent impact.

Old
06-28-2013, 10:15 AM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
I understand that there was a long layoff, but it's his own fault for not staying in shape; and to me, that shows a lack of commitment. If you don't want to play overseas that's fine, but there were hundreds of players in the NHL who didn't play in the offseason and they still manage to come into the year in respectable shape.

I think the issue here is that Sather doesn't want to be the guy who buys out Richards, only to see him go to Toronto and score 75 points next year on a line with Kessel and Lupul. If he waits it out for another season, he can at least say that Richards continued to stink up the joint, or, if he rebounds, he can try and trade him or buy him out under the idea that he was "forced to" because of the cap.
I don't disagree with one bit. Definitely not saying it isn't his own fault...

06-28-2013, 10:15 AM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverdale View Post
If Richards is on this team next year I will throw up.

We are going to be stuck with this guy.
Management can prevent Ranger luck from striking again. I just know Richards will score 12 points in 8 games to start the season, and then blow out his knee if they refuse to buy him out this offseason.

Old
06-28-2013, 10:16 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
I am going to be pissed if Richards is around next season. That's laziness on behalf of management.
How would your boss feel if you went up to him and said you needed $25M over the next several years to make a problem go away that you brought on in the first place?

My point is its not as easy as you make it out to be. I know the popular sentiment is "Well Dolan doesnt care," but this is real money. MSG is no longer nurtured under the Cablevision umbrella, and Dolan just spent a billion dollars to renovate the arena. Theres plenty of other factors in play here.

Old
06-28-2013, 10:17 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
Brutal decision. Absolutely brutal. But what else can you expect with the Rangers brass lead by Gorton and Sather.

Gah. Pretty much. If it happens, it has Slats's fingerprints ALL over it (as opposed to Gorton's). Deciding to keep him would reek of a) the guy who made the signing wanting to justify it and b) the point of view that says "**** it, I'm not going to be here when it goes bad anyway - nothing but upside for me."

Old
06-28-2013, 10:20 AM
GAGLine

If Richards is back, who is the 3rd line center? AV has said he wants a 2-way center on the 3rd line. I don't think Brassard has the defensive game to fill that role. I know Richards doesn't. Boyle doesn't produce enough offensively, but maybe he can under AV. Maybe he can find that spark again that he had a few years ago.

Really, Stepan is the only center we have who is strong defensively and produces consistent offense. But do we want him on the 3rd line?

Bolland sounds like a good option for 3rd line center. His cap hit is a little high, but he only has 1 year left. That would give Lindberg time to develop.

If I'm the Rangers, that's my plan. Buyout Richards, trade for Bolland, and then see what you can do about a LW. I would hold onto MDZ unless there's a young RH PMD available.

Old
06-28-2013, 10:21 AM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Gah. Pretty much. If it happens, it has Slats's fingerprints ALL over it (as opposed to Gorton's). Deciding to keep him would reek of a) the guy who made the signing wanting to justify it and b) the point of view that says "**** it, I'm not going to be here when it goes bad anyway - nothing but upside for me."
Why is Gorton exempt from criticism? He's been a key part of decision making and pro-scouting under this management regime under Sather. Surely, he must've had a say in these absurd decisions ever since he stepped in with the franchise quite a while back.

Old
06-28-2013, 10:23 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
How would your boss feel if you went up to him and said you needed $25M over the next several years to make a problem go away that you brought on in the first place?

My point is its not as easy as you make it out to be. I know the popular sentiment is "Well Dolan doesnt care," but this is real money. MSG is no longer nurtured under the Cablevision umbrella, and Dolan just spent a billion dollars to renovate the arena. Theres plenty of other factors in play here.
I understand. What's the excuse for their salary structure prior to the lockout which was well above the cap numbers now? They have the money.

This is Sather not attempting to think outside the box.

Old
06-28-2013, 10:24 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Why is Gorton exempt from criticism? He's been a key part of decision making and pro-scouting under this management regime under Sather. Surely, he must've had a say in these absurd decisions ever since he stepped in with the franchise quite a while back.
I think some of the better decisions have his fingerprints on them.

For instance, I doubt Glen Sather knew who the hell John Moore even was.

Old
06-28-2013, 10:25 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:

Dorsett has his fingertips on it as well.

Old
06-28-2013, 10:27 AM
Kershaw

Quote:

There is no proof of that. Perhaps he was, but was he also the genius who decided to fork over 2 relatively quality picks for 12 games of Ryane Clowe? Somehow, he doesn't seem criticized on that, but gets praised for the Gaborik trade. I just don't get it.

Old
06-28-2013, 10:27 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Perhaps, but was he also the genius who decided to fork over 3 relatively quality picks for 12 games of Ryane Clowe? Somehow, he doesn't seem criticized on that, but gets praised for the Gaborik trade. I just don't get it.
If Clowe had not gotten his concussions, he would have been a great trade. By all reports, they were ready to give him an extension which would have a been a good move, prior to the injuries.

Old
06-28-2013, 10:29 AM
Kershaw

Quote:
If Clowe had not gotten his concussions, he would have been a great trade. By all reports, they were ready to give him an extension which would have a been a good move, prior to the injuries.
No it wouldn't have. Clowe scored freaking 0 goals with the Sharks and suffered major injuries. It would have been a horrendous business decision to re-sign him. There is no proof that it was a great trade. It was an awful one.

Old
06-28-2013, 10:30 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
There is no proof of that. Perhaps he was, but was he also the genius who decided to fork over 2 relatively quality picks for 12 games of Ryane Clowe? Somehow, he doesn't seem criticized on that, but gets praised for the Gaborik trade. I just don't get it.
The buck stops with Sather, so I dont know why you dragged Gorton's name into this to be honest. In the end, all an assistant GM can do is make suggestions.

Old
NYR Viper

Quote:
No it wouldn't have. Clowe scored freaking 0 goals with the Sharks and suffered major injuries. It would have been a horrendous business decision to re-sign him. There is no proof that it was a great trade. It was an awful one.
8 points in 12 games? He looked very good when he was healthy. He added a different dimension. If they had re-signed him, that trade is well worth it.

Old
Tanner Glass
Call me Nils

Quote:
Well, he scored for the Rangers.

06-28-2013, 10:31 AM
NikC

Quote:
no it's not. they're waiting on the decision. they're waiting to see if someone else is available that they have interest in.

Closed Thread