HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Cage vs Half Visor

Old
06-27-2013, 05:43 PM
Esq.

vCash: 500
I was playing in a pick up game during an "open hockey" session two years ago when a guy wearing a half shield got a high stick that went under his visor and hit him in the eye. He is now blind in one eye. Eyes bleed like a mother****er and I almost threw up. I'll be wearing a cage for the foreseeable future.

None of us is playing a level where the marginal benefits of having a half shield outweigh the risk of severe injury. Once you lose a few teeth or suffer an even more serious injury, and you're paying out the ass for dental or medical work, missing work, looking like ****, or living on an all-fluids diet, you'll realize how stupid it was to wear a half shield to gain that little advantage in a men's league game.

96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 06:20 PM
AIREAYE

Rec hockey's probably the most irrational sport ever (not counting extreme sports).

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 08:13 PM
Noir

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7r4n View Post
Hey guys,

I'm thinking of switching over to half visor soon. Been playing the cage for a while, tried my buddy's visor and man was the difference noticeable.

Was just wondering if you guys had any advice for me on my switch. Obviously I'll be wearing a mouthguard but I know those aren't completely accident proof.

Basically, any stories that would sway me from my change or vice versa? Any stories that would make me want to change even more!

I played with a half-visor for a better portion of my time until I got my tooth knocked out in two different occassion. Switched to cage and had a bit of a tough time adjusting.

You get used to it after a while but hockey definitely does feel better without the cage. It's a bit clunky but other than visual comfort, I didn't really notice any performance hindrance.

HOWEVER

I'm 31 now and I'm sooooo out of shape. I realized I'm a bigger mouth breather than I thought (as bad as that sounds.) But with a cage, I find myself being unable to recover and breathe well after a burst of hard skating within a shift.

This is because I can't drop my jaw and suck in huge air when my body is really exerting effort. The chin guard that comes with the cage doesn't really give a huge breathing room; just so-so.

Switched back to half-visor... doing much better now. I can breath hard = i can skate hard = I can recover fast = I can be more useful for my entire shift (rather than just useful for 1 burst)

Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 12:49 AM
7r4n
Catsyuk has Dangles

Any info regarding the CSA and Oakley visors? I know they aren't CSA certified but how does that translate to league rules. Will most leagues disallow me to play or is it just that they can't sell it in Canada.

7r4n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 06:37 AM
leftwinger37

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
That's why I never make long winding posts about my opinions. I don't see the point lol. Short and sweet is how I roll.
That's probably best; less ammo for people to use against you.

It's sad that it has to be that way really...

leftwinger37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 06:41 AM
Chip Chipperson

vCash: 50
Not worth risking your face for rec hockey.

I've used both and really don't notice a difference once I start playing. I will take the one that protects my teeth/eyes better.

Chip Chipperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 09:19 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noir View Post
I'm 31 now and I'm sooooo out of shape. I realized I'm a bigger mouth breather than I thought (as bad as that sounds.) But with a cage, I find myself being unable to recover and breathe well after a burst of hard skating within a shift.

This is because I can't drop my jaw and suck in huge air when my body is really exerting effort. The chin guard that comes with the cage doesn't really give a huge breathing room; just so-so.
Easy solution, get a bigger cage. Or if you're not in a league that requires it, take off the chin cup. Just make sure the cage is fastened to the helmet with J-Clips properly without any "hang". Keep the cup in your bag just in case.

I went to a larger cage this summer and it works great. I had to try on a few to make sure it wasn't going to smack into my chest when I look down. The Bauer Reakt was the best for me, plus the lightest and thinnest.

Jarick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 09:34 AM
McDugan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noir View Post
I can't drop my jaw and suck in huge air when my body is really exerting effort. The chin guard that comes with the cage doesn't really give a huge breathing room; just so-so.
Two points, one serious, one semi-serious.

1. The degree to which you drop your jaw shouldn't have much effect if any on your ability to take in maximum air. You can open your airway completely on the inside without having you jaw open very far. If it's really a concern, a voice instructor could help you figure out the proprioception in one or two lessons.

2. Your shift should only be as long as the time you are useful.

McDugan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 09:43 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7r4n View Post
Hey guys,

I'm thinking of switching over to half visor soon. Been playing the cage for a while, tried my buddy's visor and man was the difference noticeable.

Was just wondering if you guys had any advice for me on my switch. Obviously I'll be wearing a mouthguard but I know those aren't completely accident proof.

Basically, any stories that would sway me from my change or vice versa? Any stories that would make me want to change even more!
Let's just say had I chose not to wear a cage I'd be using dentures since last May.

Wilch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 10:00 AM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilch View Post
Let's just say had I chose not to wear a cage I'd be using dentures since last May.
Haha, having mouth surgery and 5 teeth pulled at the same time was enough to get me to switch to a full cage from a visor after about 17 years of hockey. I've had knee, ear and appendix surgery, broken both bones in my wrist playing football-mouth surgery was by far the worst. Just isn't worth it and another big factor is when or where you play hockey. I usually play at night on the weekends meaning if you get your teeth knocked out on a Friday night there is a possibility you won't be able to find a dentist which means you get to sleep on it. My cage is loose enough that I can tilt it back and drink water, have no issues with chin cups or visibility. It also makes you feel smarter every time you take a stick or puck to the cage rather than your face. I find myself saying "that would have been stitches" or "that would have been a tooth". I'd rather be able to go get some food after I play on Friday night and go home and relax rather than be a bloody mess.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 10:05 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

I had my tooth cavity filled two weeks ago. I've been downing Tylenol non-stop since then.

Any teeth related problem is the worst.

I do sport a visor sometimes, but that's only for practices or stick and puck.

People should keep their stick down, but some people just don't.

I'd say playing without a cage is like riding a car without a seat belt on. Most people get lucky and nothing serious ever happens. But when it does, it sucks.

Old
06-28-2013, 10:52 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagrsMullet View Post
I'm already missing my 4 top chompers so it can't get much worse which is why I'm going to continue rocking the visor. The idea of going back to a cage makes my butthole pucker.
Time to get:

Old
06-28-2013, 11:12 AM
soldier0829

You guys are brave!

I used to wear a half visor to pickup hockey years ago. Things were just fine for a few weeks until one night when I took a stick to the face. I didn't even feel anything, it was just as if somone brushed the stick against my face, yet my whole cheek had been split open, right above my upper lip. I bled all over the place. From that point on, I went back to the cage and never gave it another thought.

soldier0829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 11:44 AM
Jisatsu

Secretly I wear a visor in the hopes some of my crooked teeth are knocked out so I don't look as goofy.

Jisatsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 02:01 PM
McDugan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagrsMullet View Post
it can't get much worse
Do what you feel, but don't BS yourself. It most certainly can get much worse.

McDugan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 02:06 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jisatsu View Post
Secretly I wear a visor in the hopes some of my crooked teeth are knocked out so I don't look as goofy.
I'm gonna let you in on a little secret. There are people who call themselves "dentists". You give them money and with their black magic they can make your teeth perfectly straight.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 02:16 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Yeah I'd rather get adult braces vs have my roots extracted and have dentures or implants.

Jarick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 02:35 PM
Jisatsu

I secretly wish internet sarcasm was easier to detect.

This is now the secret wish thread.

Jisatsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 03:26 PM
Sojourn
Where's the kaboom?

I wear a half shield, so I'm not going to be a hypocrite and say you should wear a cage. You just need to accept that there are pros and cons to both. With a half shield, you are going to get hit in the face. It's not a matter of "if" but "when" and just how bad is it going to be?

I will say that one of the reasons I like wearing a half shield is it forces me to be extra aware of what's going on.

06-28-2013, 03:39 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jisatsu View Post
I secretly wish internet sarcasm was easier to detect.

This is now the secret wish thread.
Your post was sarcastic? Tikkanen responded with an equally sarcastic post.

Old
06-28-2013, 03:55 PM
Suddenly7

I been playing for a while now and can't tell you the number of times the cage has saved me. I have many teammates that wear half visors and that's perfectly fine I just wouldn't risk it. I'm not pretty enough as it is...don't need anymore help.

Suddenly7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 03:57 PM
Not Threadworthy

Quote:
That's why I never make long winding posts about my opinions. I don't see the point lol. Short and sweet is how I roll.
tl;dr

Not Threadworthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 04:04 PM
Fanned On It

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDugan View Post
Two points, one serious, one semi-serious.

1. The degree to which you drop your jaw shouldn't have much effect if any on your ability to take in maximum air. You can open your airway completely on the inside without having you jaw open very far. If it's really a concern, a voice instructor could help you figure out the proprioception in one or two lessons.

2. Your shift should only be as long as the time you are useful.
#1 is exactly what I was going to say... how far do you have to open your mouth for christ's sake? lol I've been wearing a cage forever and I've never had trouble breathing.

The visual aspect really only comes to play once you switch from one to the other, but it goes away after like one skate, really.

Fanned On It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 04:18 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Threadworthy View Post
tl;dr
I hate you as well. Passionately; that is, with passion.

Old
06-28-2013, 07:13 PM
Not Threadworthy

Quote:
I hate you as well. Passionately; that is, with passion.
Are you my ex-wife?

Not Threadworthy is offline   Reply With Quote