HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Eric Brewer being shopped....

Closed Thread

Old
01-07-2004, 05:31 AM
Oiltalk

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PepNCheese
Brewer is not very consistent, as I'm sure YOU'RE well aware of.

Also you can't afford his contract. Why else would there be ANY discussion of dealing the kid????

You know what's "LOL"?

Tucker has 14 goals, more than ANY Oiler.

Now THAT'S "LOL", LOL.
Brewer plays on one of the youngest teams in the league, as I'm sure YOU'RE well aware of. Youth spells incosistent, also highs and lows in terms of confidence.
Do you even know how much Brewer makes? Who says we can't afford his contract? The only reason his name has been brought up at all, is because of the recent slump, and him having the most value on the Oilers. Lowe never said he wanted to trade Brewer, but after a little article in the Journal, we have a series of rumors flying to the moon, about Brewer wanting to leave, and Lowe shopping him. Untrue.

Tucker has more goals than any Oiler, playing on one of the top teams right now in the NHL, and alongside first and second line players. The Oilers top goal scorer in Smyth with 11, has been playing on a team that just finished a stretch of 3 wins in 18 games, playing a new roll at Center, and at times on the checking line.

Seems a lot of you guys don't know much about the Oilers at all. Just that since Comrie was traded for picks that Brewer will be too? I'm sorry but Tucker or Antropov straight across won't get some of you leaf homers Brewer. It's not even close.

Old
01-07-2004, 05:46 AM
Volcanologist
Used Register

Quote:
Do you even know how much Brewer makes? Who says we can't afford his contract?
It's Brewer's NEXT contract that is the issue, obviously.

I guess you guys were totally expecting the Niniimaa trade last year, huh? Because that made loads of sense too I guess.

Old
01-07-2004, 05:53 AM
sluggo*

Hockey News, December 30, 2003. Vol 57 Number 18

"After agreeing to terms with the Ducks, which would have seen Joffery Lupul join the Oilers, Lowe went back to Comrie at the 11th hour and insisted Comrie pay 2.5 million of his own money to seal the deal. The deal died on the spot and Lowe came out of it looking strange and mean spirited.

Murray saw what Lowe did an unethical and as breaking an "unwriten" rule among the GM's, Lowe had said the Ducks would get Comrie, then went back on his word. And one week later Comrie went to the Flyers, considering how quickley Comrie then moved to the Flyers its not hard to tell that Lowe was talking to both teams.

And no, the fact that Comrie went for picks and prospects doesn't MEAN Brewer, what it does mean is that (considering their position in the leauge) Lowe isn't building the Oilers to win right now. Theres nothing that said Comrie had to move when he did, and he could have gotten a roster player for him. As I said before, if Brewer goes it will be for picks/prospects or young rookie players like a Lupul.

Old
01-07-2004, 06:01 AM
Oiltalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepNCheese
It's Brewer's NEXT contract that is the issue, obviously.

I guess you guys were totally expecting the Niniimaa trade last year, huh? Because that made loads of sense too I guess.
Yup. I knew with his high salary that he was done as an Oiler. Totally different positions though. A team isn't going to trade away one of their best young players for picks and prospects before the CBA next year, when ideally everything could be changed.

One trade means Lowe isn't building the team for now Sluggo? Lowe wasn't able to get players that could play this year for Comrie, because Comrie was esentially lowering his own value. Lupul would have been a joke for Comrie. Glad the Oilers didn't take that one.

Old
01-07-2004, 06:08 AM
sluggo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiltalk
One trade means Lowe isn't building the team for now Sluggo? Lowe wasn't able to get players that could play this year for Comrie
No, their position in the league along with that deal makes it pretty clear. Lowe said more then once he wouldn't move Comrie until he could get a deal that would make the Oilers a better team (not the roadrunners). Lowe could have taken Comrie to the deal line, and most likely gotten a roster player for him, and if he couldn't he could have take then prospects and picks then. Its the writing on the wall man.

Old
01-07-2004, 06:41 AM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by sluggo
No, their position in the league along with that deal makes it pretty clear. Lowe said more then once he wouldn't move Comrie until he could get a deal that would make the Oilers a better team (not the roadrunners). Lowe could have taken Comrie to the deal line, and most likely gotten a roster player for him, and if he couldn't he could have take then prospects and picks then. Its the writing on the wall man.
Think long and hard about that statement.

What team would be stupid enough to trade a roster player for a guy who hadn't played all season long, with just 12-14 games left in the regular season?

Not only that, but I am sure Lowe could have gotten a 30 year old guy who can score 20 goals for Comrie... but why make a deal like that?

The value of a player who hasn't played all year doesn't increase the closer it gets to the end of the year.

Old
01-07-2004, 06:50 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
Think long and hard about that statement.

What team would be stupid enough to trade a roster player for a guy who hadn't played all season long, with just 12-14 games left in the regular season?

Not only that, but I am sure Lowe could have gotten a 30 year old guy who can score 20 goals for Comrie... but why make a deal like that?

The value of a player who hasn't played all year doesn't increase the closer it gets to the end of the year.
and ....I have tought that 1 of the reasons Lowe is more willing to trade Brewer now is that he has a replacement in Woywitka that he would like to bring up and fill the defense position and therefor if Lowe can get a young scoring forward that will reduce the Comrie loss (production wise) ...Its a WIN WIN situation for the young Oilers.....

Old
01-07-2004, 06:54 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Messenger
and ....I have tought that 1 of the reasons Lowe is more willing to trade Brewer now is that he has a replacement in Woywitka that he would like to bring up and fill the defense position and therefor if Lowe can get a young scoring forward that will reduce the Comrie loss (production wise) ...Its a WIN WIN situation for the young Oilers.....
A player that I think Lowe might want is someone like Kristian Huselius out of Florida in a package for Brewer.... Young , talented, inexpensive..and apparently available for the right price ....

Old
01-07-2004, 07:29 AM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by sluggo
Hockey News, December 30, 2003. Vol 57 Number 18

"After agreeing to terms with the Ducks, which would have seen Joffery Lupul join the Oilers, Lowe went back to Comrie at the 11th hour and insisted Comrie pay 2.5 million of his own money to seal the deal. The deal died on the spot and Lowe came out of it looking strange and mean spirited.

Murray saw what Lowe did an unethical and as breaking an "unwriten" rule among the GM's, Lowe had said the Ducks would get Comrie, then went back on his word. And one week later Comrie went to the Flyers, considering how quickley Comrie then moved to the Flyers its not hard to tell that Lowe was talking to both teams.

And no, the fact that Comrie went for picks and prospects doesn't MEAN Brewer, what it does mean is that (considering their position in the leauge) Lowe isn't building the Oilers to win right now. Theres nothing that said Comrie had to move when he did, and he could have gotten a roster player for him. As I said before, if Brewer goes it will be for picks/prospects or young rookie players like a Lupul.
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/news_sto...ame=nhl-oilers

http://www.tsn.ca/columnists/bob_mckenzie.asp?id=63881

Lupul was never involved in the deal Lowe agreed to.

Old
01-07-2004, 09:05 AM
Mizral

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasting time
sluggo, just admit it. You know nothing about the Oilers. And Quinn;s bad trades do not far outweigh his good ones.
If you Quinn supporters ever want another arrow in your quill for Quinn at the trade table:

Naslund for Stojanov was a Pat Quinn move.

I still think Quinn will need to be fired at some point either this season or the off-season, but I guess no need to change things while the Leafs are going good.

Old
01-07-2004, 09:09 AM
Feenom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
If you Quinn supporters ever want another arrow in your quill for Quinn at the trade table:

I still think Quinn will need to be fired at some point either this season or the off-season, but I guess no need to change things while the Leafs are going good.
Quinn is a solid coach so I don't understand your post. He's no longer the GM (thank God). Why fire him? Come again...

Old
01-07-2004, 02:00 PM
zamboni

Quote:
there is an entire thread on Laroque just full of gems.
yeah, I agree with you here. It's sad how some people think Laraque can go for a good 1st or 2nd liner.

Old
01-07-2004, 09:06 PM
rye&ginger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
Drafting Stojanov was also a Quinn era move.

Closed Thread