HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

key notes on our short season thus far

Old
10-19-2006, 05:30 PM
#44_delivers

vCash: 500
key notes on our short season thus far

ok guys we all know the first line is doing good specialy higgins who's leading our club from points to +/- in catagories.
we all know the 2nd line is the "turnover trinity", and hasnt been dangerous.
we all know we got a goaltending contreversy in town.

here's a few positives we shouldnt forget,

komi is playing well and seriously getting better and better and you could see from his face he WANTS to play better and will strive to play better,

johnson has been an awesome aquisition, i love his game and he's doing better than most can in his circumstance, great penalty killer and will bury good chances, not only is he playing well look at who he's playing with; bonk and perez

most of you guys including me wanted to castrate bonk, bonk so far this year has been playing his role well (i'm crediting this to johnson)

perez is decent and worth holding on to (he'll develope like maxim afino...) i think he's developing defensive awarness right now and wont be a liability to hold on to, he's not someone i would give up on at all, and his work ethic will be appreciated and rewarded by carbo.

sammy was promised months not 6 games so lay off the guy for a bit, the talent is there now good coaching will take effect real soon,

plekanec is not a 2nd line centerman i like him and see him turning out to be a smart valuable player but most of you guys overrate this youngster %80 of you all were saying he'll get more points than higgins which i thought was a complete joke. http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=295815
the truth is he needs a bit of time to be offensive minded and skilled enough to play on the 2nd line (he still has that role and will continue to have it only becuase of bad depth and good effort on his behaf)

our defense besides komi, there are not too many upsides, markov will get back into his grove he's just too talented and smart not to start gamebreaking with his abilities.

rivet, souray, i'm not complaining i'm not praising either if that makes any sense.

dandy i thought was actualy playing well and picked up carbo's system immiedietly, it's too bad his hamstring.

niinimaa needs to cut back on penalties, if he does and improves to suite our system i think he'll be great with us.

another note i am a fan of the cube so i want him back.

goaltending is funny the contreversy is only going to diminish with more games, how many games it will require to see who our number one is thats the big question.

we are doing great buying into a new system from our new coach who has passion to rub off to his players, longer the season goes we'll get better and better,

guys our team is run by some VERY VERY SMART people.

there are other key notes fill in as i didn't cover all of em.

GOHABSGO

#44_delivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2006, 09:47 PM
habs86

vCash: 165
Send a message via MSN to habs86 Send a message via Yahoo to habs86
Quote:
Originally Posted by #44_delivers View Post
ok guys we all know the first line is doing good specialy higgins who's leading our club from points to +/- in catagories.
we all know the 2nd line is the "turnover trinity", and hasnt been dangerous.
we all know we got a goaltending contreversy in town.

here's a few positives we shouldnt forget,

komi is playing well and seriously getting better and better and you could see from his face he WANTS to play better and will strive to play better,

johnson has been an awesome aquisition, i love his game and he's doing better than most can in his circumstance, great penalty killer and will bury good chances, not only is he playing well look at who he's playing with; bonk and perez

most of you guys including me wanted to castrate bonk, bonk so far this year has been playing his role well (i'm crediting this to johnson)

perez is decent and worth holding on to (he'll develope like maxim afino...) i think he's developing defensive awarness right now and wont be a liability to hold on to, he's not someone i would give up on at all, and his work ethic will be appreciated and rewarded by carbo.

sammy was promised months not 6 games so lay off the guy for a bit, the talent is there now good coaching will take effect real soon,

plekanec is not a 2nd line centerman i like him and see him turning out to be a smart valuable player but most of you guys overrate this youngster %80 of you all were saying he'll get more points than higgins which i thought was a complete joke. http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=295815
the truth is he needs a bit of time to be offensive minded and skilled enough to play on the 2nd line (he still has that role and will continue to have it only becuase of bad depth and good effort on his behaf)

our defense besides komi, there are not too many upsides, markov will get back into his grove he's just too talented and smart not to start gamebreaking with his abilities.

rivet, souray, i'm not complaining i'm not praising either if that makes any sense.

dandy i thought was actualy playing well and picked up carbo's system immiedietly, it's too bad his hamstring.

niinimaa needs to cut back on penalties, if he does and improves to suite our system i think he'll be great with us.

another note i am a fan of the cube so i want him back.

goaltending is funny the contreversy is only going to diminish with more games, how many games it will require to see who our number one is thats the big question.

we are doing great buying into a new system from our new coach who has passion to rub off to his players, longer the season goes we'll get better and better,

guys our team is run by some VERY VERY SMART people.

there are other key notes fill in as i didn't cover all of em.

GOHABSGO

great you nailed many things on the head

habs86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2006, 09:56 AM
baldrick

Can't argue with any of your points, good job.

"guys our team is run by some VERY VERY SMART people."
Very true, some of the people who lace on skates I'm not so sure about.

baldrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2006, 01:00 PM
Vasculio
Booya !

Positive threads once in a while are fun and refreshing to read, thanks !

I agree with most of your points, and I'll add that Streit is actually decent, and even good sometimes, he learned alot from last year, and we may have a late bloomer here.

Again, good job !

Vasculio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2006, 01:44 PM
Guy Caballero

Good post, #44. Refreshing to see some perspective among all the "[insert defenseman] sucks," "Second line sucks," "Laterndresse sucks" garbage clogging the board these days.

Guy Caballero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2006, 03:27 PM
Azalichio

Send a message via MSN to Azalichio
Here's a few more key notes since the start of the season.

We are 4th in the east, 4pts behind Buffalo but 2 ahead of Pittsburgh ( 9th )

17th in the league with an average of 2.83goals for per game
10th in the league with an average of 2.5 goals against per game
8th in the league with a Power play average of 20.7%
1st in the league with a Power kill average of 92.3%
1st in the league with a Face off % of 58.1%
22nd in the league with an average of 28.8 shots for per game
12th in the league with an average of 29.5 shots against per game
1st in the league with 3 shorthanded goals

So far we have faced Buffalo, Ottawa, Toronto, Calgary, Chicago and the Flyers. We came out of it with 8pts out of a possible 12 which is much better then anyone could have predicted before the season started.

Like we hoped, one of our goaltender is hot, the other is cold. While most people would probably prefer it was Huet that was hot, we all know this is exactly why we were happy to keep both goaltenders.

We are having a great start knowing we can do better, this is key. If we stay healthy, we'll only get better as the season goes.

Azalichio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2006, 04:09 PM
VGTvidz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azalichio View Post
Here's a few more key notes since the start of the season.

1st in the league with a Power kill average of 92.3%
1st in the league with a Face off % of 58.1%
1st in the league with 3 shorthanded goals
Really happy to have Carbo & Muller. We were all freaking out during the preseason because the PK was terrible but I guess Carbo knew what he was doing (trying out all the possible duos)... one thing though, it would be cool if the players would try to get less penalties but anyway, keep up the good work guys!

VGTvidz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2006, 04:17 PM
Azalichio

Send a message via MSN to Azalichio
Quote:
Originally Posted by VGTvidz View Post
Really happy to have Carbo & Muller. We were all freaking out during the preseason because the PK was terrible but I guess Carbo knew what he was doing (trying out all the possible duos)... one thing though, it would be cool if the players would try to get less penalties but anyway, keep up the good work guys!
16th in the league with 39 shorthanded times. 13 less then Phoenix and 13 more then New Jersey. Not the best but not that bad either.

Azalichio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2006, 04:33 PM
#44_delivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Caballero View Post
Good post, #44. Refreshing to see some perspective among all the "[insert defenseman] sucks," "Second line sucks," "Laterndresse sucks" garbage clogging the board these days.
yeah i started feeling down with all the negativity in the room, but theres good reason to be optimistic, and some of the stats Azalichio provided show where we are improving.

i think the future looks bright, we're a good team, we're not an elite team but we are not that far off from it either.

Old
10-20-2006, 04:43 PM
Habs_Apostle

Quote:
That's freaking awesome! Our PKer's rock at the moment. Makes me sooo .

Habs_Apostle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2006, 04:54 PM
Guy Caballero

Quote:
Not to take anything away from Carbonneau and Muller, but I think our PK is due to the emergence of Higgins and Plekanec as top-notch PKers, the improved play of Bonk, the addition of Johnson, and Saku's healthy start.

As a group, our PKers are fast, smart, and hard working. I think Gainey deserves the credit as much as anyone for assembling them (and of course, the players themselves, who've risen to the challenge).

Old
10-20-2006, 05:11 PM
Turbo

Nice thread, good balanced perspectives. Our board needed that. Thanks, man.

Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2006, 05:34 PM
VGTvidz

Quote:
Not to take anything away from Carbonneau and Muller, but I think our PK is due to the emergence of Higgins and Plekanec as top-notch PKers, the improved play of Bonk, the addition of Johnson, and Saku's healthy start.

As a group, our PKers are fast, smart, and hard working. I think Gainey deserves the credit as much as anyone for assembling them (and of course, the players themselves, who've risen to the challenge).
We already knew that Higgins & Plekan were good PKers, they proved it last year. I don't recall seeing as many duos during the PK, we have Bonk-Johnson // Koivu-Higgins // Begin-Plekan-Murray-whoever you want ... the guys are always fresh and ready to put tons of pression on the other team

VGTvidz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2006, 06:00 PM
#44_delivers

Quote:
guy the beauty of it is that the whole organization is responsible for our pk success, the players, the coaches and the gm, they're all equally to thank. thats why things are optimistic in hab land its a balanced rightly guided organization right now, the pk is just one improvement of many to come, i beleive that whole heartedly.

Old
10-20-2006, 07:53 PM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Im not sure anyone can predict how well Pleks will develop?

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2006, 08:18 PM
Guy Caballero

Quote:
We already knew that Higgins & Plekan were good PKers, they proved it last year. I don't recall seeing as many duos during the PK, we have Bonk-Johnson // Koivu-Higgins // Begin-Plekan-Murray-whoever you want ... the guys are always fresh and ready to put tons of pression on the other team
The 80s-era habs gave them a good run, right through the Burns years. If you couldn't kill penalties, you weren't on the team.

Old
10-20-2006, 08:31 PM
GoodKiwi

Souray sucks!
Second line sucks!
Latendresse sucks!

GoodKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2006, 08:49 PM
Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1x44r View Post
Souray sucks!
Second line sucks!
Latendresse sucks!

I offer you a non-exclusive list of threads from the past few days where these original inights could have been posted in.

But wait! There's more! I'll throw in a bonus "rivet sucks" thread for good measure:

1: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=301579

2: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=302678
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=302069
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=301451
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=302326

3: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=302551

4: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=302635

Old
10-20-2006, 08:53 PM
Vasculio
Booya !

Quote:
Souray sucks!
Second line sucks!
Latendresse sucks!

Having a life helps making things easier sometimes, you should try...

Oh yeah, I almost forgot

Vasculio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2006, 10:14 PM
GoodKiwi

Gee, way to detect sarcasm people. Lighten up!

GoodKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2006, 10:39 PM
#44_delivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo View Post
I offer you a non-exclusive list of threads from the past few days where these original inights could have been posted in.

But wait! There's more! I'll throw in a bonus "rivet sucks" thread for good measure:

1: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=301579

2: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=302678
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=302069
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=301451
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=302326

3: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=302551

4: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=302635
lol yeah there sure is allot of negative threads in the habs room right now, its kind of sad i mean i've always said we got a rollercoaster fanbase but sometimes it gets out of control.

btw thats why its so hard to detect the sarcasm <--- directed at P1x44r

anyways GOHABSGO

Old
10-20-2006, 11:17 PM
Teufelsdreck

My global view of the Habs: They're not bad but they're lacking in depth. They're unable to roll out four effective lines and three nearly equal sets of Dmen. Beyond that, they're really thin. If there's even one more injury at D, I can't think of anyone in Hamilton who'd be ready to play regularly. Maybe Lapierre or Ferland could fill in on the fourth line, but I don't think either is qualified to go higher up. Kostitsyn is virtually an unknown quantity but I think he'd be the first callup after an injury to any wing on lines one to three. The goaltending has been OK but not in the highest echelon.

The fourth line personnel (Bégin, Downey, Murray, Latendresse) have zero points and are cumulatively -9.

So far, the strong point has been the penalty killing.

Last edited by Teufelsdreck: 10-20-2006 at 11:42 PM.
Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2006, 11:34 PM
Raider917

vCash: 179
i can only imagine what fans that arent happy with this start would feel if they were flyer or senator fans.

Flyers are dead last in the NHL with 3 pts. 15 goals for and 33 against so far!!! Ottawa, with 4 pts, are tied for 2nd last in the NHL(with Phoenix) and have a PP unit that is only 2.9% effective.

Raider917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2006, 11:48 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider917 View Post
i can only imagine what fans that arent happy with this start would feel if they were flyer or senator fans.

Flyers are dead last in the NHL with 3 pts. 15 goals for and 33 against so far!!! Ottawa, with 4 pts, are tied for 2nd last in the NHL(with Phoenix) and have a PP unit that is only 2.9% effective.
That may be, but the difference in points between the Habs and the trailing teams is rather small and easily overcome. Moreover, Atlanta and Florida look a lot stronger this season and could contest the Habs for a playoff spot, along with an improved Toronto. Even the Penguins can't be discounted now that Malkin is playing.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2006, 09:20 AM
Turbo

Quote:
Gee, way to detect sarcasm people. Lighten up!
Worse thing is I'm usually good at detecting it.... oh well...