HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

Summer '13 Thread (All Proposals, Speculation, Blog Rumors in here)

Closed Thread

Old
06-27-2013, 01:31 PM
slightlystewpid420

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by major major View Post
What should we offer Vinny L? I'd be okay with $5million+ but only for a year or two.
Two Max. He'll be taking minutes away from Johansen. And next year Jenner. He could be a great mentor for them though. Anymore time here and hes hindering their development.

Old
06-27-2013, 01:45 PM
jdhebner
HFBoards Sponsor

Vinny L one year at 4
Vinny P one year at 2.875

06-27-2013, 02:09 PM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhebner View Post
Vinny L one year at 4
Vinny P one year at 2.875
Until/unless Gaborik is extended, I'm not sure I'm comfortable with three "veteran" contracts that all expire after the coming season. Meaning I'd prefer Lecavalier/whomever to be signed to at least two years.

Old
06-27-2013, 02:16 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by slightlystewpid420 View Post
Two Max. He'll be taking minutes away from Johansen. And next year Jenner. He could be a great mentor for them though. Anymore time here and hes hindering their development.
Please,

It would take a 3 or 4 year deal to get him to even listen. The dude was still at a 21 minute prod last season, he's far from done and he'll command more than 5 million. There are a lot of teams that need to spend some money and he should be at the top of a few teams list.

VL is on a different level and type of player than anything we have on the team and in the pipeline and would likely compliment Gaborik well.

Johansen can fight for second line center duty with our host of other centers.

I would say the odds of us getting him are remote (not even sure we'd try), but would it surprise me if we did? No.

Old
06-27-2013, 03:11 PM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
Please,

It would take a 3 or 4 year deal to get him to even listen. The dude was still at a 21 minute prod last season, he's far from done and he'll command more than 5 million. There are a lot of teams that need to spend some money and he should be at the top of a few teams list.

VL is on a different level and type of player than anything we have on the team and in the pipeline and would likely compliment Gaborik well.

I would say the odds of us getting him are remote (not even sure we'd try), but would it surprise me if we did? No.
I agree.

Old
06-27-2013, 03:40 PM
major major

Quote:
Please,

I agree, VL is not done. It seems Tampa bought him out in large part because of the retirement liability in the new CBA (They'd have the cap-hit even if he retired early).

Old
06-27-2013, 03:59 PM
Xoggz22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev22 View Post
Can't wait to see the waiver wire at noon. It's going to have some high price items on it. According to Bob McKenzie, any player a team wishes to buyout has to go on $100 waivers and clear before they can be bought out. I guess you could claim a player, but you're likely assuming a bad contract.
I believe they have into early July to perform Compliance Buyouts this year. If that's the case, as I believe, most teams will keep the fringe buyout players around until the draft in hopes of trading them first before an outright buyout. At least I would if there were hope to move a player to be bought out. Some, it won't matter, like Vinny. Their contracts are simple too big to overcome via trade...

Old
06-27-2013, 08:05 PM
punk_o_holic

vCash: 50
Would Jarmo/JD have interest in David Perron? Apparently he's on the block. Would you guys want him and for what?

Old
06-27-2013, 08:18 PM
Nanabijou
Playoffs back at Nat

I like Vinny L but I don't see a scenario happening that he'd land here unless there was ridiculous overpayment which we don't want to do.

If the CBJ significantly upgrades their top 6 this year, it will occur through a trade, likely involving one or more of the first round picks.

Old
06-28-2013, 02:30 AM
grindline

I would like Vinny L. Like everyone above has mentioned there are issues that get in the way like having to over pay, carrying too many big veteran contacts or taking ice time from other prospects long-term.

We could always take the counter-intuitive approach and offer a one year deal though. The logic is that we can offer a competitive salary compared to most longer deals whilst simultaneously not committing to a contract that would be tough in the future. A one year risk is next to no risk. If both parties are happy with each other we can always extend and if not we can guarantee an extra first next year by trading him at the deadline.

Why might he be interested? He gets another UFA payday next year.

Old
06-28-2013, 08:20 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanabijou View Post
I like Vinny L but I don't see a scenario happening that he'd land here unless there was ridiculous overpayment which we don't want to do.
Expand on that a bit? Curious, is this more of CBJ fan inferiority complex? Sure he's going to get overpaid, unless he decided to sign with Detroit to try and win a Cup or something, but that is the FA market.

Are you suggesting that it would be ridiculous because we are the CBJ or because there will be a lot of suitors?

Old
06-28-2013, 08:23 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindline View Post
I would like Vinny L. Like everyone above has mentioned there are issues that get in the way like having to over pay, carrying too many big veteran contacts or taking ice time from other prospects long-term.
Won't even comment much on the part I removed, he's not going to take a one year deal. The market won't be depressed for him and there should be some good teams looking at his services. He's also not 35+ and he produced at a top line clip even though his minutes were down. Yes this is me not commenting much... :p

However, to the part bolded. You mean that carrying vets in their proper roles and allowing prospects to develop in roles they are suited for is a bad thing?

Better let Detroit know that. They are doing it wrong.

Old
06-28-2013, 09:14 AM
Nanabijou
Playoffs back at Nat

Quote:
Expand on that a bit? Curious, is this more of CBJ fan inferiority complex? Sure he's going to get overpaid, unless he decided to sign with Detroit to try and win a Cup or something, but that is the FA market.

Are you suggesting that it would be ridiculous because we are the CBJ or because there will be a lot of suitors?
Not inferiority, I just don't see a connection between Columbus and Vinny that would lead him to take a 1 or 2 year contract here. I'm not that interested in getting in a bidding war where we pay him big bucks over 4 to 7 years.

Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me to see him sign a year contract with a Cup contender (we're not there yet) or Florida (to be close to home) and then going back to Tampa after that. I'm not sure there's any bad blood there and I think he and his family are really rooted in the community.

Old
06-28-2013, 09:27 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Not inferiority, I just don't see a connection between Columbus and Vinny that would lead him to take a 1 or 2 year contract here. I'm not that interested in getting in a bidding war where we pay him big bucks over 4 to 7 years.
We need to get that short term contract out of our minds. I have no issues paying him 24-28 million over 4 years.

You'll probably see those back loaded contract come to an end, unless you are the Rangers or Toronto. A lot of financial risk if they pull a Kipper and retire. I only say that because those 7 year deals to get them to 40+ are probably going to become a lot more rare.

Biggest issue with his existing contract is that you were paying 10 million per over the next 3 seasons on top of the financial concerns if he retires early, otherwise there might have been teams interested in a trade.

Old
06-28-2013, 09:34 AM
Nanabijou
Playoffs back at Nat

Quote:
We need to get that short term contract out of our minds. I have no issues paying him 24-28 million over 4 years.
6-7 million a year? No thanks, we'll agree to disagree.

Old
06-28-2013, 09:48 AM
blahblah

Quote:
6-7 million a year? No thanks, we'll agree to disagree.
I hate that phrase. At any rate, why do you think he deserves less? His stats, especially for a center, is still 6+ million. Dude can play in all three zones and is still pretty damn good in the faceoff circle.

He'd still be playing 20 minutes if it weren't for Stamkos. He's worth more than Brad Richards.

I understand the hesitancy, mainly because he's probably going to have a hard time scoring 30 goals. But this guy can still put up 80 points with this team. We have plenty of potential finishers on this team, what we don't have is a guy like VL. I saw little with Johansen to indicate he is close.

Old
06-28-2013, 09:58 AM
Kev22

Quote:
I hate that phrase. At any rate, why do you think he deserves less? His stats, especially for a center, is still 6+ million. Dude can play in all three zones and is still pretty damn good in the faceoff circle.

He'd still be playing 20 minutes if it weren't for Stamkos. He's worth more than Brad Richards.

I understand the hesitancy, mainly because he's probably going to have a hard time scoring 30 goals. But this guy can still put up 80 points with this team.
I could go along with that line of thinking. I'm just not sure that this club would excite a guy like Lecavalier. Signing a guy like VL would allow the Jackets to re-sign VP and have a top line of Prospal-Lecavalier-Gaborik. It drops Anisimov to the second line and might allow JK to use Johansen as trade bait to better this club.

Old
06-28-2013, 10:05 AM
Nanabijou
Playoffs back at Nat

Quote:

I understand the hesitancy, mainly because he's probably going to have a hard time scoring 30 goals. But this guy can still put up 80 points with this team. We have plenty of potential finishers on this team, what we don't have is a guy like VL. I saw little with Johansen to indicate he is close.
I'd rather pay Bob 22 M over 4 years than to pay Vinny L. 24+ M over the same. You will not agree with this, hence my cliche.

Old
06-28-2013, 10:15 AM
dru
Jarmo Unchained

Send a message via AIM to dru
So is David Perron really on the block? I could see Jarmo go after him with one of our 1st rounders. I'm willing to bet Jarmo and Davidson see Perron as one of their guys from St. Louis. What kind of package gets that done? Anyone interested in David Perron?

Old
06-28-2013, 10:50 AM
InjuredChoker

Quote:

Vinny's D isn't that great. He's not liability but he is primarily offensive player. Well, he looked good in all zones to start the season but that didn't last long. What is the big question with Vinny, he's health.

He can make strong case for 6 mil and imo that is around he's worth.

I don't see him getting 80 points anymore.

Old
06-28-2013, 11:40 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by InjuredChoker View Post
Vinny's D isn't that great. He's not liability but he is primarily offensive player. Well, he looked good in all zones to start the season but that didn't last long. What is the big question with Vinny, he's health.

He can make strong case for 6 mil and imo that is around he's worth.

I don't see him getting 80 points anymore.
Project out prod in relation to 20 minutes and he's back up around there. I said he can play in all three zones, I didn't say he was elite in all three zones.

My numbers include UFA status bidding.

Old
06-28-2013, 11:43 AM
blahblah

Quote:
I'd rather pay Bob 22 M over 4 years than to pay Vinny L. 24+ M over the same. You will not agree with this, hence my cliche.
We were talking VL, no Bob. Not sure why you brought it up, as one doesn't preclude the other.

Old
06-28-2013, 03:28 PM
Nanabijou
Playoffs back at Nat

Quote:
Originally Posted by punk_o_holic View Post
Would Jarmo/JD have interest in David Perron? Apparently he's on the block. Would you guys want him and for what?
I'd be interested. They'd probably want Johansen back though but I'd prefer if it was a deal structured around our 19th pick. Not sure what we would have to add to the latter.

Old
06-28-2013, 03:44 PM
Nanabijou
Playoffs back at Nat

Quote:
We were talking VL, no Bob. Not sure why you brought it up, as one doesn't preclude the other.
I probably should have left Bob out of it. But signing Vinny L to 6 or 7 million could bring cap into play for re-signing Bob, a backup tender and the 1 or 2 guys we may still need for depth.

Old
06-28-2013, 04:20 PM
thebus2288

Johansen+Erixon+19th=
Erixon+14th+19th=
Johansen+14th=

What player(s) or how high of a pick do you think we could get for these??

Personally just not sold on Erixon at all. While I do like Johansen and his game/skill set, 1 quote from Larsen during the AHL playoffs ruined everything. Something along the lines of "Ryan was working as hard as Ryan knows how"...You would think a guy supposedly shutting down top line NHL centers would be a huge factor(in a good way) down there, let alone find a way to work hard enough to stay competent.

Closed Thread