HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Jon Blum and other cheap fixes

Old
06-22-2013, 04:02 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
I'm not so sure Blum would be available for the price some are talking about (third rounder). For one, he's a 24 year-old former first round defender. He has nowhere near lived up for the hype, but typically guys like that will still have some value. Second of all, and I think this has already been mentioned, but there will likely be several teams in on Blum if he is available, which will drive up the price. I wouldn't be opposed to going after him, but I think the price would be almost certainly more than a third rounder.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2013, 04:10 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by potsiev2 View Post
joacim eriksson signs 2 year deal with vancouver
Okay... makes total sense.

"I want a contract to make the big club! Okay! Vancouver it is! I will get a great chance!"

Yeah. Luongo, Schneider, Lack... you're at best fourth in line, bub.

06-22-2013, 04:14 PM
potsiev2

vCash: 500
philly would've been ideal for eriksson... maybe they told him luongo is gone and he will be trying out for the backup role... i don't think scheider is all that good

potsiev2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2013, 04:53 PM
FLYERSFAN18

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I'm not so sure Blum would be available for the price some are talking about (third rounder). For one, he's a 24 year-old former first round defender. He has nowhere near lived up for the hype, but typically guys like that will still have some value. Second of all, and I think this has already been mentioned, but there will likely be several teams in on Blum if he is available, which will drive up the price. I wouldn't be opposed to going after him, but I think the price would be almost certainly more than a third rounder.
I would think it would take at least a second round pick. But having 7 capable dman would be a nice change. You could have Gus and Blum give timonen and streit a night off every once in a while so they can stay fresh.

FLYERSFAN18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2013, 05:00 PM
Insulin

Preds fans have agreed they would do Blum for our 2nd. Only problem now is who the hell plays. I think Gus deserves the spot more than he does. If Grossmann is healthy I feel like we would be in a spot where would have to move two defenders instead of one.

Insulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2013, 05:05 PM
FLYERSFAN18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insulin View Post
Preds fans have agreed they would do Blum for our 2nd. Only problem now is who the hell plays. I think Gus deserves the spot more than he does. If Grossmann is healthy I feel like we would be in a spot where would have to move two defenders instead of one.
Having 7 capable defenders would be a nice luxury. Especially if Gus and Blum are on cheap deal

Old
06-22-2013, 05:17 PM
litflyersfan

Quote:
Wouldn't give up anything more than a 3rd. Remember that guy our scouts were all over, Bobby Sanguinetti, also a late 1st was on waivers last season (THANK YOU RANGERS FOR TAKING HIM so we get that guy, I forget his name, Claude something). If we could get Blum for good value, fine, not willing to overpay, which is definitely a 2nd.

Flashback!

litflyersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2013, 05:24 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by litflyersfan View Post
Wouldn't give up anything more than a 3rd. Remember that guy our scouts were all over, Bobby Sanguinetti, also a late 1st was on waivers last season (THANK YOU RANGERS FOR TAKING HIM so we get that guy, I forget his name, Claude something). If we could get Blum for good value, fine, not willing to overpay, which is definitely a 2nd.

Flashback!

Sanguinetti is a little different. He was another year removed from his draft year and still didn't even play half a season worth of games. Blum is still only a couple years removed from the draft and has played in almost 100 games thus far. Not a great track record, but the guy has far more value than Sanguinetti has.

Of course, I'm not saying that because he is a former first rounder that he will turn into anything, only that the guy still has some value. I'm not sure what that value is but I think he'll fetch more than a third rounder. Darroll Powe fetched a third rounder.

Old
06-22-2013, 05:31 PM
litflyersfan

Quote:
Sanguinetti is a little different. He was another year removed from his draft year and still didn't even play half a season worth of games. Blum is still only a couple years removed from the draft and has played in almost 100 games thus far. Not a great track record, but the guy has far more value than Sanguinetti has.

Of course, I'm not saying that because he is a former first rounder that he will turn into anything, only that the guy still has some value. I'm not sure what that value is but I think he'll fetch more than a third rounder. Darroll Powe fetched a third rounder.
A couple years removed? Since when is 6 years considered a couple (Blum was drafted the same year as JVR). Also, Darroll Powe was atleast a serviceable role player (if you want to go down that line, do you think George Parros was worth a 2nd rounder and an option to swap 3rd picks?). The best I would do for Blum is similar to the deal we did with Washington for Eminger (Eminger + 3rd for late 1st) maybe Blum+4th for our early 2nd or again our 3rd straight up.

Last edited by litflyersfan: 06-23-2013 at 02:06 AM.
litflyersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2013, 11:04 PM
Gert B Frobe

I'd give up a 2nd for Blum - do the Flyers have one? With injuries he would definitely play assuming Meszaros is gone - which is advisable IMO

Gert B Frobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2013, 11:08 PM
FLYERSFAN18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gert B Frobe View Post
I'd give up a 2nd for Blum - do the Flyers have one? With injuries he would definitely play assuming Meszaros is gone - which is advisable IMO
Yes we have the 41st overall. But like someone else said it might be a but too much. A third might be closer, but I haven't seen a lot of Blum so I may be wrong

Old
06-22-2013, 11:54 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Blum really needs to get out of Nashville and the Flyers don't need to give up a lot to get him. If Holmgren is a smart man, he points out that Thomas Hickey was also highly regarded too and yes orrery much flamed out and Blum isn't that different from Hickey right now. I'd say you can probably get Blum for a fifth.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2013, 12:12 AM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Blum really needs to get out of Nashville and the Flyers don't need to give up a lot to get him. If Holmgren is a smart man, he points out that Thomas Hickey was also highly regarded too and yes orrery much flamed out and Blum isn't that different from Hickey right now. I'd say you can probably get Blum for a fifth.
That would be stellar. I agree with you and the late pick assessment of Blum as he hasn't done anything special in NSH - but that may be due to the way he is handled by Trotz, trying to fit or make him into something he is not.

Fingers crossed

dingbathero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2013, 12:24 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:

Flashback!

our scouts also loved Trevor Lewis as well. if he was on the board he could of been taken over Giroux. so thankfully LA took care of that.

GoneFullHextall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2013, 08:55 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
A couple years removed? Since when is 6 years considered a couple (Blum was drafted the same year as JVR). Also, Darroll Powe was atleast a serviceable role player (if you want to go down that line, do you think George Parros was worth a 2nd rounder and an option to swap 3rd picks?). The best I would do for Blum is similar to the deal we did with Washington for Eminger (Eminger + 3rd for late 1st) maybe Blum+4th for our early 2nd or again our 3rd straight up.
Ok so maybe a "couple" wasn't the right word choice, but he's 24 and has about 100 games under his belt. Yes, he is absolutely under achieving and I don't think anyone thinks his potential is as high as it was, but I don't think that a 3rd rounder will get it done. I wouldn't be opposed to getting him, but I don't think a third rounder would get it done.

Old
06-23-2013, 10:45 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Ok so maybe a "couple" wasn't the right word choice, but he's 24 and has about 100 games under his belt. Yes, he is absolutely under achieving and I don't think anyone thinks his potential is as high as it was, but I don't think that a 3rd rounder will get it done. I wouldn't be opposed to getting him, but I don't think a third rounder would get it done.
Fair assessment. I was also taking a look at Erik Gustafsson's stats (he's roughly the same age as Blum) and his stats are as follows:

60 NHL Games: 4 goals, 9 assists, 13 points

Blum's stats:

91 NHL Games: 7 goals, 15 assists, 22 points

So, if we go by projected rates, Blum scores at roughly .24 points per game. Gustafsson actually scores even less, at .22 points per game. So, whatever the going rate for Gustafsson is (which I believe would be a third or a fourth), you're looking at roughly the same for Blum.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2013, 09:25 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Is it fair to say/assume that Blum is just an offensive defenseman playing in a defensive system, and if he came here...he'd quite possibly flourish? (or become terribly exposed?)

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2013, 10:01 PM
Gert B Frobe

I retract my earlier comment about a 2nd rounder for Blum being ok - if he can be had for a 3rd or even a 4th that would be wonderful

Gert B Frobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 01:01 AM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
Is it fair to say/assume that Blum is just an offensive defenseman playing in a defensive system, and if he came here...he'd quite possibly flourish? (or become terribly exposed?)
I think Blum has rounded out his game in Nashville. He's certainly tends to play an offensive style, but I doubt he would be a liability in his own zone. I trust what Nashville does with their defensemen. Philadelphia would be a perfect fit.

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 09:33 PM
Tripod

I think he could be worth the risk. I would see if the might want Mez in a 1 for 1 swap. When healthy, Mez is better. Blum is cheaper and if he got better, could be a steal.

Tripod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 10:50 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod View Post
I think he could be worth the risk. I would see if the might want Mez in a 1 for 1 swap. When healthy, Mez is better. Blum is cheaper and if he got better, could be a steal.
I didn't know one of Nashville's off-season targets was to bolster their LTIR with a $4 million contract.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 12:39 PM
phlocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYERSFAN18 View Post
What do you think it would cost to get Blum?
He could probably be had for a 2nd, but that's just my opinion. The Preds are kind of down on him and he hasn't progressed as they thought and with the depth they have and the emergence of other guys Blum is the odd man out in Nashville.

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 12:42 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlocky View Post
He could probably be had for a 2nd, but that's just my opinion. The Preds are kind of down on him and he hasn't progressed as they thought and with the depth they have and the emergence of other guys Blum is the odd man out in Nashville.
There is speculation they might not even qualify him. He isn't worth a second. He could be had for free if he makes it to UFA without a qualifying offer. I would offer a 4th or 5th right now, and see what they say.

They already qualified a few down there and left him out. I think his time in Nashville is done, and it won't cost anything significant to get him out of there.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 12:50 PM
phlocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
There is speculation they might not even qualify him. He isn't worth a second. He could be had for free if he makes it to UFA without a qualifying offer. I would offer a 4th or 5th right now, and see what they say.

They already qualified a few down there and left him out. I think his time in Nashville is done, and it won't cost anything significant to get him out of there.
He will most definitely get a QO. He may end up being their 6th dman, but he will get a QO. Worst case they can trade him at the deadline for a 2nd so there is little chance they let him walk for free. Maybe we make a move for him AFTER the draft making the 2nd in 2014, but I doubt he could be had for a 3rd or less.

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 01:01 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlocky View Post
He will most definitely get a QO. He may end up being their 6th dman, but he will get a QO. Worst case they can trade him at the deadline for a 2nd so there is little chance they let him walk for free. Maybe we make a move for him AFTER the draft making the 2nd in 2014, but I doubt he could be had for a 3rd or less.
I think he is right. There was an article posted saying that they were leaning towards not qualifying him. If Im not mistaken Poile even said it. Obviously he could be bluffing for an unknown reason but Blum has struggled alot supposedly.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote