HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Philadelphia 76ers (NBA): Season starts Nov. 1 at WAS; home opener Nov. 2 vs. CHI

Closed Thread

Old
06-28-2013, 08:13 AM
Snotbubbles

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Poppa Puck View Post
They were gonna be horrible next year regardless. Moving Holiday just makes them a #1 pick contender instead of just like the 5th or 6th worst team.

I like the fact that they are tanking, I just think they coulda tanked with Holiday.

I guarantee our pick is higher than the Pelicans' next year and the Pelicans' pick will probably be outside the Top 10.

Here's my thing: are Nerlens Noel and/or whoever you pick with NO's pick next year gonna be a better player than Holiday? I don't think they will be.

I do like the Brown hire, though.
They would be bad next year, not horrible. They need to be horrible. Being the 5th worst team isn't bad enough. They need to get in the top 3.

Old
06-28-2013, 09:24 AM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Oddly enough, this is the first time I've been excited about the Sixers for a while now, and it's probably in a year they are going to be awful. Thank God they finally took this approach instead of this middle of the pack, mediocre team crap. I hate tanking, but unfortunately, it seems to be the only way to get better in this league.

Really excited about MCW, everything I've read makes this kid look like a real hard worker and a good defensive prospect. I love that.

Nerlens Noel could be the Sean Couturier of the Sixers. Kid projected to go first overall but falls due to injury (if you consider mono an injury) and turns out to be a GREAT defensive prospect. Granted, the leg has me nervous, but they could've really hit a home run with this trade.

I will miss Jrue, he was my favorite player and really the only guy who seemed to care every night. I hope they don't trade Thad. He's a good player to have on a team.

06-28-2013, 12:59 PM
zarley zelepukin

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDinklage Morgoone View Post
I hope they don't trade Thad. He's a good player to have on a team.
Maybe too good. I don't know what kind of return they could expect for him, but I would be surprised if Thad isn't playing elsewhere pretty soon.

Old
06-28-2013, 01:26 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawkins121 View Post
Philly used to be right up there. Historically the Sixers used to be on a level with the Celtics and Lakers, only since the early 90's did they fall so hard. If they can land a serious talent in next years draft and all of a sudden have 4 high upside lottery picks, a ton of cap space, and the San Antonio assistant trying to make them the next Spurs, it might be worth a look from top free agents.
Yeah the Sixers, Celtics and Lakers were the big three. It was a thing of beauty during the glory days of basketball. I unfortunately began watching the Sixers more regularly right about the time they went into full retard mode. I felt bad for Barkley in those years besides when they had a run with Gman and Mahorn. Too bad they ran into the Bulls and Jordan.

Ironically, the Sixers, Celtics and Lakers will now be duking it out to tank......should be interesting who comes up with the better spoils and reloads for the next decade. Hopefully, the Sixers will have some luck considering the bad luck they've inflicted on themselves mostly for all these years even during AI's tenure and the one run against the Lakers.

Old
06-28-2013, 01:41 PM
Sniped
Snowballs at Santa

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
Yeah the Sixers, Celtics and Lakers were the big three. It was a thing of beauty during the glory days of basketball. I unfortunately began watching the Sixers more regularly right about the time they went into full retard mode. I felt bad for Barkley in those years besides when they had a run with Gman and Mahorn. Too bad they ran into the Bulls and Jordan.

Ironically, the Sixers, Celtics and Lakers will now be duking it out to tank......should be interesting who comes up with the better spoils and reloads for the next decade. Hopefully, the Sixers will have some luck considering the bad luck they've inflicted on themselves mostly for all these years even during AI's tenure and the one run against the Lakers.
The Lakers have kobe, I highly doubt he's gonna be ok with tanking, considering he only has 3-4 years left in the NBA (unless he gets traded). The celtics are better than the sixers.

The sixers are gonna be horrible, the only 2 teams I can see competing with the sixers are the bobcats and the magic.

Old
06-28-2013, 01:50 PM
mypunkrock

As a casual basketball fan, can you guys explain how top-5 protected draft picks work?

I've seen some discussion here and in the news and I do not quite get it.

Old
06-28-2013, 02:11 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by mypunkrock View Post
As a casual basketball fan, can you guys explain how top-5 protected draft picks work?

I've seen some discussion here and in the news and I do not quite get it.
If the team that traded the pick receives a pick in the top 5 they don't have to give it up and it moves onto the next year.

Old
06-28-2013, 02:23 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYguy3911 View Post
If the team that traded the pick receives a pick in the top 5 they don't have to give it up and it moves onto the next year.
Might be a dumb question, but is the pick protected until it's not in the top 5? Like, if they got a protected pick from the Bobcats and they were the worst team and won the lottery, would the Sixers get their pick the next year regardless of where it was?

Old
06-28-2013, 02:33 PM
dawkins121

Quote:
Might be a dumb question, but is the pick protected until it's not in the top 5? Like, if they got a protected pick from the Bobcats and they were the worst team and won the lottery, would the Sixers get their pick the next year regardless of where it was?
It all depends on the language of the trade. Sometimes they just won't get the pick, a lot of the time it's on a sliding scale of protection. For example it might be lottery protected in 2014, top 10 protected in 2015, top 5 protected in 2016, and 1st overall protected in 2017. Not sure what the story with the Pelicans pick is, NBA pick trades can get weird.

Old
06-28-2013, 02:44 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawkins121 View Post
It all depends on the language of the trade. Sometimes they just won't get the pick, a lot of the time it's on a sliding scale of protection. For example it might be lottery protected in 2014, top 10 protected in 2015, top 5 protected in 2016, and 1st overall protected in 2017. Not sure what the story with the Pelicans pick is, NBA pick trades can get weird.
What he said. There's a lot of conditions in NBA trades.

Old
06-28-2013, 03:42 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniped View Post
The Lakers have kobe, I highly doubt he's gonna be ok with tanking, considering he only has 3-4 years left in the NBA (unless he gets traded). The celtics are better than the sixers.

The sixers are gonna be horrible, the only 2 teams I can see competing with the sixers are the bobcats and the magic.
Doesn't matter if he's not ok with tanking which I know he isn't but that team has some issues particularly with age and Kobe is not exactly a spring chicken and still has to recover from his injury. They might not be bad enough to tank but they won't be great either. Celtics just traded some key players away to the nets..they might be better than the Sixers b/c they have Rondo still. Having said this, it seems pretty obvious that the Sixers will be the worse tanking team of the 3 but Celtics and Lakers are positioning themselves for the draft next year as well..

Old
06-28-2013, 06:13 PM
Big Poppa Puck
Bring back JTG!

Evan Turner is probably the next to go. There was some surprise he wasn't moved last night.

I agree with those who say keep Young. He's solid and you need some type of veteran who isn't Spencer Hawes or Kwame Brown.

Old
06-28-2013, 06:19 PM
FLYguy3911

Tyler R. Tynes
Quote:
‏@RealTylerTynes
#Sixers attempt to trade Turner and get into the end of the first round has failed I'm being told.

Old
06-28-2013, 06:25 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYguy3911 View Post
Tyler R. Tynes
Not worth a late 1st?

Ouch.

Old
06-28-2013, 10:41 PM
Sniped
Snowballs at Santa

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
Doesn't matter if he's not ok with tanking which I know he isn't but that team has some issues particularly with age and Kobe is not exactly a spring chicken and still has to recover from his injury. They might not be bad enough to tank but they won't be great either. Celtics just traded some key players away to the nets..they might be better than the Sixers b/c they have Rondo still. Having said this, it seems pretty obvious that the Sixers will be the worse tanking team of the 3 but Celtics and Lakers are positioning themselves for the draft next year as well..
I agree, the celtics have rondo which makes them better than the sixers.

Kobe's a free agent in 2014, I highly doubt the lakers are gonna tank next year, kobe is just too good, regardless of his injury. He's gonna come back and the lakers will try to win I believe.

Old
06-28-2013, 10:52 PM
Mr Black
Flyers-76ers-Eagles

vCash: 50
Don't forget Gasol is with the Lakers too.

Old
06-29-2013, 01:09 AM
usahockey22flyers
Forza Roma

3 years from now...We could being watching something special.

Old
06-30-2013, 05:20 PM
Justified
Amaro out

My lord, looking at the height and weight of some of the players in the NHL really makes Noel skinny. He is 6'11 and 206 pounds. That is so skinny.

Old
06-30-2013, 05:26 PM
zarley zelepukin

So, apparently Doug Collins wanted to offer Kwame a 4 year contract, but wasn't allowed to.

http://www.libertyballers.com/2013/6...ould-have-been

Old
06-30-2013, 05:40 PM
Justified
Amaro out

Kwame is a great weapon for the tank. Cant get any better than him and Hawes.

Old
07-01-2013, 04:53 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

I have to say; I'm not a basketball fan. Never really have been. I'll put on a sixers game every now and then if there's nothing else on, but i won't really ever go out of my way to, and most of the time, i get bored with it by the end of the 1st half. That said, I'm a philadelphia sports fan. I think this move was a great move to make for them. Jrue was just not good enough to carry this team to where it needs to be and too good to allow them to tank and get the sort of player that you need to succeed in the NBA. Now the sixers have a young promising big man to build around, another young high draft pick with potential and 2 potential lottery picks next season.

I'll admit it, i don't care; when it comes to the 76ers, I'm completely and totally fair-weather... which means that i haven't cared in quite a while, but if we're able to land this Andrew Wiggins kids next year as well as ANOTHER lottery pick to add to Noel and Carter-Williams, this thing could get very interesting in a few seasons. Pretty cool, maybe the 76ers will actually be relevant again soon.

Old
07-01-2013, 04:59 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Poppa Puck View Post
They were gonna be horrible next year regardless. Moving Holiday just makes them a #1 pick contender instead of just like the 5th or 6th worst team.

I like the fact that they are tanking, I just think they coulda tanked with Holiday.

I guarantee our pick is higher than the Pelicans' next year and the Pelicans' pick will probably be outside the Top 10.

Here's my thing: are Nerlens Noel and/or whoever you pick with NO's pick next year gonna be a better player than Holiday? I don't think they will be.

I do like the Brown hire, though.
you don't think that potentially Andrew Wiggins, Nerlens Noel + Whoever we draft with our other 1st next year will be better than having Jrue Holiday?

i'm asking genuinely, i don't know much about basketball, but from what i've read, it seems like this wiggins kid could be the next superstar.

Old
07-01-2013, 05:10 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
you don't think that potentially Andrew Wiggins, Nerlens Noel + Whoever we draft with our other 1st next year will be better than having Jrue Holiday?

i'm asking genuinely, i don't know much about basketball, but from what i've read, it seems like this wiggins kid could be the next superstar.
Wiggins and a healthy Noel is easily worth the gamble of losing Jrue Holiday

Old
07-01-2013, 05:15 PM
Mr Black
Flyers-76ers-Eagles

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
I have to say; I'm not a basketball fan. Never really have been. I'll put on a sixers game every now and then if there's nothing else on, but i won't really ever go out of my way to, and most of the time, i get bored with it by the end of the 1st half. That said, I'm a philadelphia sports fan. I think this move was a great move to make for them. Jrue was just not good enough to carry this team to where it needs to be and too good to allow them to tank and get the sort of player that you need to succeed in the NBA. Now the sixers have a young promising big man to build around, another young high draft pick with potential and 2 potential lottery picks next season.
That's the idea. I'm trying not to put all the hope on Wiggins though. Even if we finish with the worst record there's a 75% chance we don't get the 1st pick. But after Wiggins there are potential stars in Randle, Parker, and Gordon. The team will hopefully walk away with one out of those four and get another guy with the Pelicans pick in the late lottery.

Old
07-01-2013, 05:16 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Wiggins and a healthy Noel is easily worth the gamble of losing Jrue Holiday
that's what i'm thinking. I heard they may also consider trading Thad Young and Evan Turner? Hinkie stockpiling draft picks.

Closed Thread