HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

2013 Offseason Thread Part V: Trade Em All!

Closed Thread

Old
06-28-2013, 01:00 PM
Bardof425*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
I guess I don't know how much he cares about the possession stats, specifically, but he's definitely up on his analytics (which you consider witchcraft).
Not witchcraft, but a crutch too often used when your eyes (assuming you watch games; which may be a reach on my part) tell you that a player is just not getting it done.

Old
06-28-2013, 01:01 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callahan Auto View Post
That's true but I'm just making the point that he didn't have a defensive partner that could cover his mistakes. Straalman magnifies DZ's sloppiness because he does little to make up for it.

I'm not totally hating on Stralman, either. He's a perfectly fine 3rd pairing defenseman that, like Mike, could use someone to cover his weaknesses (own zone). I just don't get that partnership and think both players could benefit from having a more defensively sound player on their side.

Of course, dealing Girardi like I proposed would leave us with 1 righthanded D-Man but I'd rather make value-based deals instead of needs-based deals.
Just the year before, Girardi was an all-star. He wasn't bad this year. He wasn't as good this year as the year before, but that doesn't mean he's declining and suddenly going to be a detriment to the team in 2 years. The whole team was worse with a few exceptions.

Trading him just to try and maximize his trade value is a bad idea. Try finding another dman in the league who is right handed, can play 25+ minutes a night against other teams' best players, and almost never misses a game, for just over 3 mil per year.

Old
06-28-2013, 01:01 PM
-31-
portnor, pls

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardof425 View Post
And every stat is idiotic when it is used as the end all.
I agree that no stat should be used as the end all.

Quote:
never said Boyle's stats are wrong; epic fail on your part there.
You just said they don't correctly reflect what he is as a player...

06-28-2013, 01:04 PM
-31-
portnor, pls

Quote:
Not witchcraft, but a crutch too often used when your eyes (assuming you watch games; which may be a reach on my part) tell you that a player is just not getting it done.
I do trust my eyes. It's yours I don't trust.

Old
06-28-2013, 01:04 PM
Bardof425*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernmeister View Post
Give them both a full shot this year.
You'll see, they are ready to cut the mustard NOW.
agree. They will make mistakes but I suspect the good will outshine the bad and they are obviously a big plus financially.

Old
06-28-2013, 01:05 PM
Josh3217

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Ryane Clowe ($3.500m) / Derek Stepan ($4.000m) / Rick Nash ($7.800m)
Chris Kreider ($1.325m) / Derick Brassard ($3.200m) / Mats Zuccarello ($1.500m)
Carl Hagelin ($2.500m) / Brian Boyle ($1.700m) / Ryan Callahan ($4.275m)
Eric Nystrom ($1.500m) / Maxim Lapierre ($1.300m) / Derek Dorsett ($1.633m)
Arron Asham ($1.000m)
DEFENSEMEN
Ryan McDonagh ($4.500m) / Dan Girardi ($3.325m)
Marc Staal ($3.975m) / Michael Del Zotto ($2.550m)
John Moore ($0.965m) / Anton Stralman ($1.700m)
Steve Eminger ($0.850m)
GOALTENDERS
Henrik Lundqvist ($6.875m)
Martin Biron ($1.300m)
OTHER
Buyout: Brad Richards ($0.000m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $61,273,333; BONUSES: $762,500
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $3,789,167

Old
06-28-2013, 01:07 PM
backofthefridge

i've heard the same as others. rangers are keeping richards, as i have said for a few weeks. dolan doesn't want to buy out BR yet. they think the team can take another shot at the cup if BR returns to 2011-12 form.

Old
06-28-2013, 01:08 PM
DelZottoHitTheNetJK

The Rangers NEED to buy out Richards, right now. The only thing scarier than having Richards play another season is Richards playing another season under lame duck status knowing that he'll be bought out after the seasons over and will no longer be a Ranger. Get it done Slats

Old
06-28-2013, 01:10 PM
Bardof425*

Quote:
I agree that no stat should be used as the end all.

You just said they don't correctly reflect what he is as a player...
granted I have said that; the stats used on this board by the pro-Boyle group do not tell the whole story, primarily what happens after his possession ends. Not goals for us. I don't want to continue litigating the Boyle situation (even though you keep drawing me in). Torts was the main problem as it related to BB; ice time and situational usage. Let's see how AV uses him if he survives the summer. Then we can pick it up fresh in November.

Old
06-28-2013, 01:12 PM
Bardof425*

Quote:
I do trust my eyes. It's yours I don't trust.
Oh but you should. Season tickets for over 20 years + alot of playing experience. Then again if you agreed with me we wouldn't have any fun here. So...

Old
06-28-2013, 01:17 PM
Callahan Auto
Rational Police

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
Just the year before, Girardi was an all-star. He wasn't bad this year. He wasn't as good this year as the year before, but that doesn't mean he's declining and suddenly going to be a detriment to the team in 2 years. The whole team was worse with a few exceptions.

Trading him just to try and maximize his trade value is a bad idea. Try finding another dman in the league who is right handed, can play 25+ minutes a night against other teams' best players, and almost never misses a game, for just over 3 mil per year.
This is why he has real value in a trade. Also consider that, if we keep him, he's going to be making more than that 3 mil next season. We're already pretty handcuffed by the cap but having to pay Girardi a raise could hurt.

I just think the style in which Girardi has played is going to take a major toll on his production. Maybe last year wasn't a sign of that and he just had a bad year; maybe he'll continue to be slow as molasses and injury prone. I do not like the prospect of having to give him a multi-year deal after next season, no matter how well he plays.

Yes, we have a lack of RHD but, to be honest, I'm not all that positive how big of a role it plays. I assume it matters for teams who dump and chase (as well as defending it); it's easier to win the puck down along the boards on your forehand than the backhand. However, I think we'll be doing far less of that this season with AV. Having a lefthanded shot on the right is actually an advantage when it comes to shooting and breaking up passes through the middle. I'd prefer a RHD on the right, but I don't think it's vital and the fact is that there are a lot more LHD. I'd rather have a good LHD on the right than an average RHD on the right.

I'd trade Girardi for a 1st rounder+ and move Staal to the other side to give us:

McD-Staal
Moore-Stralman
DZ-McIlrath*

*assuming he's ready. Otherwise resign Eminger or sign a cheapish RHD free agent like Zidlicky, Ian White, etc.

Old
06-28-2013, 01:18 PM
-31-
portnor, pls

Quote:
Oh but you should. Season tickets for over 20 years + alot of playing experience. Then again if you agreed with me we wouldn't have any fun here. So...
So if your 20 years of watching games and "alot" of playing experience means I should trust you re: Boyle, what does Torts' 9 years of playing and 25 years of coaching mean?

Also, I don't know if you saw it, but during the Vancouver presser, Tortorella said he's never heard of behindthenet.ca, so you know those pesky stats aren't clouding his judgment.

Old
06-28-2013, 01:21 PM
Sticky Fingers

Quote:
Originally Posted by WojtekGoalski View Post
The Rangers NEED to buy out Richards, right now. The only thing scarier than having Richards play another season is Richards playing another season under lame duck status knowing that he'll be bought out after the seasons over and will no longer be a Ranger. Get it done Slats
Or he plays like a player that knows that he'll be UFA in the end of the season? Who knows....

Old
06-28-2013, 01:26 PM
Zamboner
Your move, creep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
Overall, I thought he was another useless deadline acquisation. Chalk that up with Morris, Scott, Antropov and a few others I'm sure I'm missing.
Antropov was a great deadline acquisition. Agree with everything else, though.

Old
06-28-2013, 01:29 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callahan Auto View Post
This is why he has real value in a trade.
It's also why he has real value for us. The point of signing and developing these players is so that we can win a cup, not so we can maximize their trade value. Whatever we get as a return for Girardi, I promise you it won't make us a better team in 2013.

Staal is a question mark with his injury. McD needs to be re-signed. MDZ and Moore are still learning. Stralman played well this year, but how much better can he get at this point in his career? We already have a lack of RH dmen. If we are going to play a more open style under AV, we will need Girardi on the blue line. Sather should try to lock him up this summer.

I'm of the belief that you don't trade someone until they've been passed on the depth chart, or you have no other choice. We have no one even close to replacing what Girardi gives us. Unless we're trading him for someone like Weber (not happening), I don't see the point. He's only 29. He's got a lot of good years left in him.

Old
06-28-2013, 01:34 PM
end2endrush

I want Richards bought out just as bad as anyone here, but will it happen? I doubt it, there gonna give him a chance under AV. Plus knowing our luck if Richards gets bought out and lands somewhere else, hes bound to have a great year,thats just our luck. Then were all gonna look like dummys.

Old
06-28-2013, 01:36 PM
Riverdale

Quote:
Originally Posted by end2endrush View Post
I want Richards bought out just as bad as anyone here, but will it happen? I doubt it, there gonna give him a chance under AV. Plus knowing our luck if Richards gets bought out and lands somewhere else, hes bound to have a great year,thats just our luck. Then were all gonna look like dummys.
Richards could go somewhere else and turn into Crosby for all I care. I want him gone.

Old
06-28-2013, 01:37 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
Still think Sather and the brass will bite the dollars bullet and set Richards free…Slats and Assistant GM Jeff Gorton and Vigneault have explored options on the free agent and trade market if they have $19 million available.
http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey...ards-1.5587518

Quote:
Del Zotto has one year left on his bridge deal that comes with a cap hit of $2.55 million this season, and his price tag only goes up from here. Ryan McDonagh is going to get a big deal this summer and the Rangers also have Marc Staal and Dan Girardi as part of a talented defensive corps that is still relatively young. Del Zotto is a guy who may flourish under Alain Vigneault but with so many teams shopping for defense right now, he's a piece GM Glen Sather could use to fill holes elsewhere.
http://insider.espn.go.com/nhl/blog/...ade-candidates

Old
06-28-2013, 01:40 PM
end2endrush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverdale View Post
Richards could go somewhere else and turn into Crosby for all I care. I want him gone.
why would you want that..?

Old
06-28-2013, 01:46 PM
Riverdale

Quote:
Originally Posted by end2endrush View Post
why would you want that..?
Want him gone?

Because if he is injured then we are stuck with him. It's too great of a risk.

Old
06-28-2013, 01:47 PM
backofthefridge

Zipay is the only guy who thinks Richards is a goner. I wouldn't trust him. He never seems to have any scoops. Richards will be on the rangers next year sadly.

Old
06-28-2013, 01:49 PM
snipeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverdale View Post
Want him gone?

Because if he is injured then we are stuck with him. It's too great of a risk.
I bet you dont want him gone if he turns into Crosby @6.7 m.

Old
06-28-2013, 01:49 PM
Sticky Fingers

Keeping Richards is a gamble, but I think the buyout only will happen if there is something big available that can replace him.

Old
06-28-2013, 01:53 PM
pld459666

Kershaw,

Seems like there's not a player on this team save one or two guys that you are a fan of.

don't like the GM either.

Why do you root for the Rangers?

Serious question. I'm interested in hearing the answer.

Old
06-28-2013, 01:53 PM
Zamboner
Your move, creep.

Considering Richards is definitely not going to turn into Crosby, cut loose this bum. Even if he gets back to where he was his first year here, he'd still be grossly overpaid, and not even a little bit interested in defense.

Closed Thread