HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Ryan Miller

Old
06-25-2013, 02:35 PM
Broad Street Elite

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyroxen View Post
Whats worng with that?
The last McNabb to play in Philadelphia had his tenure end in a less than ceremonious fashion.

Broad Street Elite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 03:09 PM
NitHeel
Mucker/Grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TehDoak View Post
A quick thought:

To Buffalo: Coburn, Read, 3rd
To Philly: Miller, McNabb, 50% of Miller's salary retained
Flyers need more Defense, not less.

NitHeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 03:30 PM
LGBuffalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitHeel View Post
I understand what you're saying as at the moment Coburn is the far superior defender, but Miller in the true sense will provide you with more defense than what you're losing in Coburn in this situation.

LGBuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 03:35 PM
couture23
Sabres & Red Sox

Quote:
McNabb is an NHL-ready defenseman.

couture23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 03:48 PM
Shoofyou10

As a Pens fan, I would love to be able to get Miller. Maybe Fleury plus a pick and player. Fleury has all the natural talent in the world and has won a cup but could use a change of scenery and Miller could be that solid goalie that wont falter come playoff time that the Pens need.

Just a pipe dream but from a Pens fan I would love to see it happen.

Shoofyou10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 03:56 PM
NitHeel
Mucker/Grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGBuffalo View Post
I understand what you're saying as at the moment Coburn is the far superior defender, but Miller in the true sense will provide you with more defense than what you're losing in Coburn in this situation.
I have no idea if Mason is going to perform or not, but I prefer my chances with Mason/Coburn for 3 years much more then 1 year of Ryan Miller and whoknowswhat from a rookie on D on a team that isn't ready to win right now.

Oh, and we also get to drop Read and a half-decent pick, too. Nah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by couture23 View Post
McNabb is an NHL-ready defenseman.
Maybe. He's never played. A lot of NHL ready defensemen have come up and proved they aren't actually ready. I don't say that to be critical about him, I just say it because he's never seen the NHL so by nature he's a question mark. And as a projected 2B/3A type...not worth the wait.

Bright side: we do maintain our quota of Braydens.

Old
06-25-2013, 03:57 PM
MacOfNiagara
Blue&Gold from birth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoofyou10 View Post
As a Pens fan, I would love to be able to get Miller. Maybe Fleury plus a pick and player. Fleury has all the natural talent in the world and has won a cup but could use a change of scenery and Miller could be that solid goalie that wont falter come playoff time that the Pens need.

Dont see the Sabres wanting a goalie back. IMO they will run Enroth and Hackett as a 1a/1b tandem. Not the greatest, but room for growth from both and they have much bigger holes to fill on the roster.

MacOfNiagara is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 04:48 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
I have no idea if Mason is going to perform or not, but I prefer my chances with Mason/Coburn for 3 years much more then 1 year of Ryan Miller and whoknowswhat from a rookie on D on a team that isn't ready to win right now.

Oh, and we also get to drop Read and a half-decent pick, too. Nah.

Maybe. He's never played. A lot of NHL ready defensemen have come up and proved they aren't actually ready. I don't say that to be critical about him, I just say it because he's never seen the NHL so by nature he's a question mark. And as a projected 2B/3A type...not worth the wait.

Bright side: we do maintain our quota of Braydens.
2011–12 25GP 1G 7A 8P 15PIM

It's not a huge sample size obviously, but the kid has played NHL hockey.

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 05:02 PM
TehDoak
General Zad

Send a message via AIM to TehDoak
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
Is McNabb ready to move up to the NHL? Coburn eats a lot of minutes for Philly.
He played very well in his rookie year, regressed back to the AHL, and is behind Pysyk in terms of pecking order of Sabres prospects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
McNabb coming to Philly? Oh my.
Quote:
The Flyers have:

Timmonen
Streit
Meszaros
Schenn
Grossman
Coburn

All under contract. You need BETTER quality, less quantity.

McNabb is a young d-man who can step into bottom pairing minutes immediately and maybe into a top 4 role. He has a nasty physical side.

The trade:

A) Gets rid of one long term D contract
B) Immediately upgrades your goaltending to an elite level
C) Saves you in cap space next year

TehDoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 05:21 PM
NitHeel
Mucker/Grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
201112 25GP 1G 7A 8P 15PIM

It's not a huge sample size obviously, but the kid has played NHL hockey.
You're correct - I misspoke. But the logic remains the same.

The Flyers will take a guy with little/no experience who projects as a top pair guy but not a mid-pair type.

Old
06-25-2013, 05:26 PM
NitHeel
Mucker/Grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TehDoak View Post
He played very well in his rookie year, regressed back to the AHL, and is behind Pysyk in terms of pecking order of Sabres prospects.

The Flyers have:

Timmonen
Streit
Meszaros
Schenn
Grossman
Coburn

All under contract. You need BETTER quality, less quantity.

McNabb is a young d-man who can step into bottom pairing minutes immediately and maybe into a top 4 role. He has a nasty physical side.

The trade:

A) Gets rid of one long term D contract
B) Immediately upgrades your goaltending to an elite level
C) Saves you in cap space next year
1) The concept of better quality, less quantity is true, but I'm not sure how Coburn for McNabb helps that at all.

2) The Flyers have plenty of guys who can play bottom pair minutes and maybe a top-4 role. And they have Gustaffson who needs to play in the NHL now to see what he has.

3) Coburn struggled last year while miscast, but no one is trying to "get rid" of him. He's still a very valuable piece, just in terms of the minutes he provides in a D that is old (Timonen/Streit) or injury plagued (Grossman, Meszaros)

4) The saved cap space comes from NOT HAVING A PLAYER AFTER NEXT YEAR WHEN MILLER'S CONTRACT IS UP? How is empty cap space and still no goalie a positive?

Old
06-25-2013, 06:08 PM
BloFan4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoofyou10 View Post

If I am the Pens, I do everything possible to get Miller. I truly feel Miller could be the key to multiple Stanley Cups. Everyone knows he will re-sign there so it would be more than a one year situation for Pitt.

However, Pitt would need to buy out Fleury or trade him in a second deal. No way Buff wants him.

You may need to "overpay" but it won't matter when the cups come.

BloFan4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 06:55 PM
NitHeel
Mucker/Grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloFan4Life View Post
If I am the Pens, I do everything possible to get Miller. I truly feel Miller could be the key to multiple Stanley Cups. Everyone knows he will re-sign there so it would be more than a one year situation for Pitt.

However, Pitt would need to buy out Fleury or trade him in a second deal. No way Buff wants him.

Yeah, if the Flyers were a realistic Cup team in 2014 I would have a different feeling about Miller. Makes a lot of sense for Pittsburgh if they're ready to wash their hands of Fleury, which I'm assuming they're not.

Old
06-25-2013, 07:03 PM
Layne Staley
The Future

Quote:

Yes he had played.He actually played real well as a rookie in 11-12.8 points in 25 games with practically no PP time?Yeah, McNabb has top pairing potential and he is untouchable.There is no question mark on McNabb's game, he is NHL ready and a future top 4 d-man.Considering he is still on his ELC he would be extremely valuable to any NHL team.

His last season in the WHL he was actually the 3rd highest scoring d-man.Not bad for a guy who was thought of as a one dimensional def. d-man when he was drafted.In his rookie season in the AHL he was 30th in d-man scoring and he only played 45 games.

McNabb looks to be a future all-around top pairing d-man.He is extremely physical, strong and has a very good underrated offensive game.

Layne Staley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 07:19 PM
Petes2424

The best fit for Miller is Phoenix.

Petes2424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 07:34 PM
NitHeel
Mucker/Grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layne Staley View Post
Yes he had played.He actually played real well as a rookie in 11-12.8 points in 25 games with practically no PP time?Yeah, McNabb has top pairing potential and he is untouchable.There is no question mark on McNabb's game, he is NHL ready and a future top 4 d-man.Considering he is still on his ELC he would be extremely valuable to any NHL team.

His last season in the WHL he was actually the 3rd highest scoring d-man.Not bad for a guy who was thought of as a one dimensional def. d-man when he was drafted.In his rookie season in the AHL he was 30th in d-man scoring and he only played 45 games.

McNabb looks to be a future all-around top pairing d-man.He is extremely physical, strong and has a very good underrated offensive game.

Someone must not have mentioned all this to the Sabres fan that suggested moving him.

Old
06-25-2013, 07:48 PM
BloFan4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petes2424 View Post
The best fit for Miller is Phoenix.
He has a limited NTC and I can bet Phoenix is on top of that list.

BloFan4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 09:22 AM
HiddenInLight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
Is McNabb ready to move up to the NHL? Coburn eats a lot of minutes for Philly.
Most fans say he is. McNasty is the kind of player that would quickly become a fan favorite in Philly. The kid is the definition on what Philly fans have always loved in players.

HiddenInLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 09:27 AM
HiddenInLight

Quote:
Someone must not have mentioned all this to the Sabres fan that suggested moving him.
Nobody is untouchable, and the sabres have a bit of a logjam when it comes to defensive prospects even after they traded one away last season. If a good deal comes along every player on the team is available to trade.

Old
06-26-2013, 09:39 AM
NitHeel
Mucker/Grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiddenInLight View Post
Nobody is untouchable, and the sabres have a bit of a logjam when it comes to defensive prospects even after they traded one away last season. If a good deal comes along every player on the team is available to trade.
That's fine - I understand. The quoted poster said "McNabb looks to be a future all-around top pairing d-man.He is extremely physical, strong and has a very good underrated offensive game." If that's the case, he's not the log the Sabres would unjam.

Old
06-26-2013, 09:58 AM
Shoofyou10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloFan4Life View Post

I agree and salivate at the thought of Miller with the Pens. I just don't think that management is ready to give up on Fleury for whatever reason. But I think Ray Shero would be wise to at least explore the possibility.

Shoofyou10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 02:33 PM
HiddenInLight

Quote:
That's fine - I understand. The quoted poster said "McNabb looks to be a future all-around top pairing d-man.He is extremely physical, strong and has a very good underrated offensive game." If that's the case, he's not the log the Sabres would unjam.
I was disagreeing with the poster you were quoting by saying that no player is untouchable. That being said, I was just saying that IF he were to be traded to Philly he would quickly become a fan favorite, as he is the kind of guy that Philly fans LOVE.

Old
06-28-2013, 02:55 PM
pyroxen

How about Halak for Miller. Maybe Stl adds a bit?

pyroxen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 03:10 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
That does nothing for the Sabres given their current approach to things.

They have Enroth to be the starter and they have Hackett who is ready to be the back up.

The Sabres want to get younger and don't need goaltending. So, Halak is of no interest.

WhoIsJimBob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 03:24 PM
is the answer jesus

Quote:
I'd rather just keep the better goalie in Miller. If we do trade Miller to St. Louis and the trade included Halak I would only think he's included to help you guys with the salary and to help clear up the logjam you have at goaltender. He wouldn't hold much value to us at all.

is the answer jesus is online now   Reply With Quote