HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

How good are the Coyotes?

Closed Thread

Old
01-07-2004, 07:12 PM
ducky

vCash: 500
How good are the Coyotes?

The team gets very little coverage in the media.

Doan is having a "monster" season. Ditto for Nagy.

Boucher and the team have just recorded 4 consecutive shut outs with ridiculously little discussion.

They are one of the youngest teams in the league.

So, how good are the Coyotes? An average team at best? Or a young, improving team?

Old
01-07-2004, 07:28 PM
kmad
Riot Survivor

every off-season magazine/power ranking I knew of ranked them last in the entire NHL

Old
01-07-2004, 07:30 PM
FlyersGuy69

Send a message via AIM to FlyersGuy69
I'm not sure how good the Yotes really are but Boucher is scortching hot right now and I hope that he breaks Durnam's(sp) modern record for consecutive SO minutes.

I am a big Doan fan too and he is having a great year.

Old
01-07-2004, 07:32 PM
Rowsdower

Send a message via AIM to Rowsdower
Boucher has certainly came out of nowhere with this streak....I like the Yotes....I think if they can keep playing well, they could sneak into a bottom seed...

Old
01-07-2004, 07:33 PM
Rowsdower

Send a message via AIM to Rowsdower
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmad
every off-season magazine/power ranking I knew of ranked them last in the entire NHL
I figured the Pens were pegged for dead last in every magazine.....but I did notice they were ranked last in the West in one or two...I never take preseason rankings seriously anyway.....

Old
01-07-2004, 08:42 PM
Mizral

The Yotes are a bubble team this year, but over the next couple years, I expect them to be a very, very up-and-coming team. They are full of offensive talent all over the place. Young guys too. Mara, Tanabe, and to a lesser extend, Vaananen are offensivly skilled defensemen. Nagy and Doan are obviously greatly skilled forwards, but how about young Branko Radivojevic? This kid is going to be a very good 2nd line forward someday. Gratton isn't young, but he's not old either. Langkow the same.

What the Yotes need the most is A) good goaltending, and B) they need their defense to mature. If these Eric Brewer rumours are true, I would think that the Yotes should be first in line to pick him up (if Lowe deals him inter-conference). They are the kind of team who should be really pining for one more young, top 4 defenseman.

Last edited by Mizral: 01-07-2004 at 08:50 PM.
Old
01-07-2004, 08:45 PM
thestonedkoala

vCash:
Tanabe is a defensemen I believe, Mizral.

Old
01-07-2004, 08:48 PM
Oilers Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestonedkoala
Tanabe is a defensemen I believe, Mizral.
*gasp* You, you mean, Mizral DOESN'T know what he's talking about sometimes? GET OUT!

I hope to God the Brewer rumours are not true.

Why even discuss trading him? What do you think Lowe is trying to do, COMPLETELY decimate the Oiler's defence? Give your head a shake.

Old
01-07-2004, 08:51 PM
Mizral

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemskyfan
*gasp* You, you mean, Mizral DOESN'T know what he's talking about sometimes? GET OUT!
It was a typo, actually.

Do I need to bump the 'Northwest Division goaltending' thread again, hemskyfan? I think we're all quite aware your strong grasp of hockey.

Old
01-07-2004, 08:54 PM
Oilers Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
It was a typo, actually.

Do I need to bump the 'Northwest Division goaltending' thread again, hemskyfan? I think we're all quite aware your strong grasp of hockey.
That was befroe the season started. Did you delude yourself into believing that I still think Salo is the best NW goalie?

Do I need to bump the thread where you stated Hendrik Sedin will be a more prolific player than Ales Hemsky? Them were words of wisdom, Miz.

Old
01-07-2004, 10:16 PM
kruezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducky
The team gets very little coverage in the media.

Doan is having a "monster" season. Ditto for Nagy.

Boucher and the team have just recorded 4 consecutive shut outs with ridiculously little discussion.

They are one of the youngest teams in the league.

So, how good are the Coyotes? An average team at best? Or a young, improving team?
I like them alot, I am a big fan of basically every player on the team (even Chris Gratton, yikes, lol) plus the hold my favourite (well, its probably a tie with Leopold) NHLer in Daymond Langkow. This team could be very very good. As Miz said they could use one more solid D though. But a Burke deal could bring that if Boucher is for real.

Old
01-07-2004, 10:33 PM
SopelFan*

Send a message via MSN to SopelFan*
I like the Yotes and the more I see them, the more the top line reminds me of the Canucks top line in the early days.

Nagy is a sniper with excellent upside, like Naslund.
Doan is a big, powerforward who is coming into his own like Bertuzzi.
Langkow is a small center, who quietly contributes like Morrison.

Remember Mike Johnson has been hurt all year. Radivojevic also has looked good, as Mizral said.

Then guys like Ference, Taffe, Kolanos, Sjostrom, and Spiller really develop well they could be a very good.

They should push for a playoff spot if Boucher continues his play. They are fun to watch and their play-by-play guy is amazing.

Old
01-07-2004, 11:13 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Picked them for the 8th spot in the west pre-season.

Regardless of how they finish this season, Gretzsky & Co. are accumulating a lot of nice talent both on the NHL level and in the pipeline. He's copying, to an extent, the tried and true formula that worked on his Edmonton dynasty teams as a player: big, rugged backline and major speed up front. Plus he has a bundle of young, huge (size) talent down the middle. No #99, Kurri Messier or Anderson among the bunch :p , but I still like their chances for success, and nearer-term.

Closed Thread