Notices

dion phaneuf

Closed Thread

Old
01-03-2004, 04:00 PM
caber24

vCash: 500
dion phaneuf

man o man is this kid going to be a stud in the future on your blueline. congrats on drafting him and its great to see him playing so well.

p.s nice to see you guys playing so well and in a playoff position. keep it up and good luck the rest of the season.

cheers, caber24

Old
01-03-2004, 05:52 PM
Burke's Evil Spirit

See that hit on Rostislav Olesz? There's Scott Stevens Jr. for you.

Old
01-03-2004, 08:57 PM
kruezer

That was massive, I hope Olesz gets better quick, but man that was huge.

Old
01-04-2004, 10:54 AM
PotiFan107

haha it was a sweet hit... but comparing him to stevens is sort of off.. he has alot more offensive upside than stevens ever did

Old
01-04-2004, 11:07 AM
Michalek

Quote:
Originally Posted by PotiFan107
haha it was a sweet hit... but comparing him to stevens is sort of off.. he has alot more offensive upside than stevens ever did
take a look at stevens numbers in his first 10 years in NHL

Old
01-04-2004, 12:51 PM
Epoch

That was a beautiful hit. Gave Finland a sample of Canadian hockey.

(They are playing in Finland,right?)

Old
01-04-2004, 03:55 PM
kruezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michalek
take a look at stevens numbers in his first 10 years in NHL
Gotta agree with that, Stevens was not slouch offensively.

Old
01-04-2004, 05:46 PM
PotiFan107

damn he did have alot of points.. but everyone back then did also.. but i take that comment back.. hopefully phaneuf is something like he is or.. was

Old
01-04-2004, 06:38 PM
kruezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOR-TOWN
That was a beautiful hit. Gave Finland a sample of Canadian hockey.

(They are playing in Finland,right?)
Yup they're in Finland.

Old
01-07-2004, 06:59 AM
Reign Nateo

I've seen him play quite a bit over the last couple of years and he is a monster. I personally wouldn't compare him to Scott Stevens because he isn't built like that. I would compare him to Ed Jovanovski with less skating and offensive ability and more of a physical presence. He's a battler, but I don't see him putting up huge numbers in the NHL offensively. I think he will turn into a real rock on defence and not really realize his offensive potential.

Old
01-07-2004, 08:07 AM
Flames Draft Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign Nateo
I've seen him play quite a bit over the last couple of years and he is a monster. I personally wouldn't compare him to Scott Stevens because he isn't built like that. I would compare him to Ed Jovanovski with less skating and offensive ability and more of a physical presence. He's a battler, but I don't see him putting up huge numbers in the NHL offensively. I think he will turn into a real rock on defence and not really realize his offensive potential.
Ahhhh, nothing like predicting a blue chip 18 year old won't realize his potential. What proof or indication do you have that a very young defensemen won't develop? You realize he's still tied for the lead in goals amongst WHL defensemen despite missing a bunch of games for the World Juniors at age 18? He was leading his team in points. Quite impressive. But it's not an aberration. The kid scored 23 goals last year at age 17. WOW.

I think he and Leopold could form our first powerplay unit for years and do just fine offensively. From watching him in camp this year we saw Sutter putting him out on powerplay units in scrimmages. His puck moving and shooting ability didn't look out of place at age 18 and unlike you I tend to think he'll continue to improve. In fact I think his shot could be the best on the Flames in a couple of years, none of our current core excels in that area at all and Dion's has impressed me.

Old
01-07-2004, 11:27 AM
icarus

Not to mention he led Team Canada defensemen with 4 points at the WJC. And his shot really is great, as FDW said.

Old
01-07-2004, 04:16 PM
Reign Nateo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher
Ahhhh, nothing like predicting a blue chip 18 year old won't realize his potential. What proof or indication do you have that a very young defensemen won't develop? You realize he's still tied for the lead in goals amongst WHL defensemen despite missing a bunch of games for the World Juniors at age 18? He was leading his team in points. Quite impressive. But it's not an aberration. The kid scored 23 goals last year at age 17. WOW.
I didn't mean he won't score at the NHL level, I just meant that he will change his game IMO to become more of a defensive player. (ie Bouwmeester) I'm not saying he will become Denis Gauthier, I'm just saying his WHL numbers won't translate to big league numbers. The reason I say this is the majority of the goals I have seen him score would not go in on NHL goalies. I'm not trying to slag on the guy, so you need to take it easy. In fact he is one of my favourite prospects, I was simply making an observation based on the games I have watched him play live.

Old
01-07-2004, 05:30 PM
ForeignFlame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher
I think he and Leopold could form our first powerplay unit for years and do just fine offensively. From watching him in camp this year we saw Sutter putting him out on powerplay units in scrimmages. His puck moving and shooting ability didn't look out of place at age 18 and unlike you I tend to think he'll continue to improve. In fact I think his shot could be the best on the Flames in a couple of years, none of our current core excels in that area at all and Dion's has impressed me.
Didn't Phaneuf set up Iggy for a PP goal in the exhibition game he played?

Old
01-07-2004, 06:59 PM
the-rasta-masta

Send a message via MSN to the-rasta-masta
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeignFlame
Didn't Phaneuf set up Iggy for a PP goal in the exhibition game he played?
Yep, it was pretty similar to Iginla's goal from Leopold last night on the Island. Wicked one timer.

Old
01-07-2004, 09:58 PM
SopelFan*

Send a message via MSN to SopelFan*
I think Phaneuf will step in slowly and work his way up from 6th, first getting the offense going and then developing the defense.

Old
01-07-2004, 11:32 PM
Whinks

Send a message via AIM to Whinks
Anyone have a clip of his hit in the WJC's?

Closed Thread