HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brad Richards NOT being bought out

Closed Thread

Old
06-28-2013, 05:06 PM
Callagraves
Block shots

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
The Rangers got abused by a poor ES Caps team at ES in the playoffs. That doesn't aspire much confidence in me for the core of this team.
You don't get abused at ES and Special teams, and win a series.

You ought to have a little more faith in the team. Skepticism brought you Bieber.

(I hope that Avy stays there forever)

Old
NYR2007

vCash: 50
Richards problem is he never was a big center ES. He always got his points on the power play and that was big reason why we wanted him.

Our power play has always been bad. We dont have a big shot for richards to set up too.

This team has so many holes.

No D-Man with a big shot.... NO Lucic/clowe type player..... No Hard hitting D man etc.....

If richards was to be bought out i was hoping for those problems to be fixed but to be honest their really isn't anyone out their i really like this year UFA class

Old
Bardof425*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Sather View Post
is that the best case if it means he is then not bought out next season?

To me, thats the worst case. Brad Richards on the team in 2014-2015 is the worst case. A bounce back season in 2013-2014 makes that more likely.
It all depends on his production doesn't it? If he's a legit 1st line center he is worth the contract. If he's not and i would suspect he won't be then it's not worth it. If the Rangers didn't have one more year to see what he can do he would have been bought out now. But they have another year grace period to figure this out and they are using it.

Old
Kwayry
Take the damn deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Lundqvist View Post
They're feeling out the trade market on him before buying him out.

They can't be this stupid.
Yes they can be.
Either this is Dolan flipping Sather or Sather flipping Gorton, but there is a whole lotta flipping going around.

Old
06-28-2013, 05:07 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief View Post
I said it before: unless you need the cap space in the summer, keeping Richards around for next season is the smart move. He can only increase his value and the risk of a season-ending injury is small. That doesn't mean it won't happen but the odds are against it.
It doesn't need to be a season ending injury. He just has to be injured during the buyout period.

Lots of players end up needing surgery after the season ends.

Old
06-28-2013, 05:09 PM
Bardof425*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
That's why it's such an upsetting move. Either he does bad and we're stuck with him this year or he does good and we're stuck with him forever. It's bad and worse.
It's not that simple. He can play well next year and still get bought out. they have obviously concluded that he has alot in the tank. You have to admit it was odd how quickly things went bad. Let's see what happens.

Old
06-28-2013, 05:10 PM
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug

Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardof425 View Post
It all depends on his production doesn't it? If he's a legit 1st line center he is worth the contract. If he's not and i would suspect he won't be then it's not worth it. If the Rangers didn't have one more year to see what he can do he would have been bought out now. But they have another year grace period to figure this out and they are using it.
I don't care if he puts up 110 points next season, you still have to buy him out.

Theres no way he is effective for the last 7 years of his deal, theres no way to know he even plays out the contract. Either way, we'd be stuck with his cap hit.

Old
06-28-2013, 05:14 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Craig Button just said on NHLN that Richards was 'pretty good' during the regular season, lol.

Old
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

I'm ok with keeping richards one more year. I know theres a risk factor. I think he comes back and puts up 65 points

Old
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan the caddy View Post
Did I say we were one player away from a cup
Yes, you did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan the caddy View Post
I don't think the current team is good enough to win it all unless one of the kids really steps up his game.

Old
Pizza

....and just to add something.

I read a few weeks ago that the Rangers would wait to see what Richards looked like in camp and that if they chose to they could buy him out then.

If that is the case then I think this could be a prudent move.

Old
Bardof425*

Quote:
Thats just.. I don't even know what to say.

The joy of watching the team make the run is the fun in sports. Yeah it sucks to lose in the end. But you'd feel the same about playing 0 playoff games as oposed to winning 15 of them?

I can't even fathom how people would accept that.
Were you around in '94?

Old
06-28-2013, 05:16 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

If Richards is injured during the buyout period the fans will storm the front office and forcefully remove Sather from the organization.

Old
06-28-2013, 05:16 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Craig Button just said on NHLN that Richards was 'pretty good' during the regular season, lol.
Heard that too, absolutely ridiculous. Said he was really good during regular season especially the last 12 games. Yeah, it was ALL Brad

Old
06-28-2013, 05:17 PM
mike14

with how unproven our C depth is (it's pretty much non existent), I'm surprised at how much angst this decision is causing. As crap as Richards was (very), he was still on pace for a roughly 60pt for the 2nd season in a row. No other center we have signed has been on pace for 60pts in the last 2 seasons, Stepan should get there next season, but Brassard is a huge question mark despite his great playoffs and Miller/Lindberg/whoever is completely unproven (which worked great with Krieder).

Having a vet center around for another year seems like pretty much a no brainer and I'd be pretty confident that he wont be injured during the next buyout window

Old
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker McDonald View Post
Was Drury injured?
Was Drury injured? He was bought out. He could have contested the buyout if he was injured. He lost $1.667M in the buyout. Drury was owed $5M and ended up with $3,333,333.

Old
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug

Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardof425 View Post
Were you around in '94?
No. I was around for the 7 years of being the joke of the NHL, though. Year 1 of that is when I really started to follow the team closely.

I'd rather not see that playoff drought again.

Old
06-28-2013, 05:18 PM
Zuuuuc

You guys do realize that Richards played balls to the wall in his last year in Dallas for his retirement contract. He got his retirement contract which will now likely be bought out for 2/3 remaining next summer. He knows this is his chance to get a retirement contract part two.
Heres to hoping he goes all out on a 75+ point season and a CS worthy playoff run (Although if we win a cup, Hank will win the CS almost 100%) then gets bought out for a second chance at a bank padding retirement contract with hopefully a Western Conference team

Old
06-28-2013, 05:19 PM
stan the caddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Yes, you did.
Assumed you were implying one acquired player away from winning a cup.

Yea, unless Kreider turns into Ovechkin or something, I have a hard time seeing this team winning the cup.

Old
06-28-2013, 05:20 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
....and just to add something.

I read a few weeks ago that the Rangers would wait to see what Richards looked like in camp and that if they chose to they could buy him out then.

If that is the case then I think this could be a prudent move.
He can't be bought out in camp. The only times he can be bought out are now until July 4th, and next summer during the same buyout period. If he's hurt during that time, we're stuck with his contract unless we trade him. And even if we trade him, we will STILL get hit by cap recapture when he retires early.

Old
06-28-2013, 05:21 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by wb1985 View Post
You guys do realize that Richards played balls to the wall in his last year in Dallas for his retirement contract. He got his retirement contract which will now likely be bought out for 2/3 remaining next summer. He knows this is his chance to get a retirement contract part two.
Heres to hoping he goes all out on a 75+ point season and a CS worthy playoff run (Although if we win a cup, Hank will win the CS almost 100%) then gets bought out for a second chance at a bank padding retirement contract with hopefully a Western Conference team
Do you realize that it doesn't matter how well he plays?

Old
06-28-2013, 05:22 PM
Bardof425*

Quote:
I don't care if he puts up 110 points next season, you still have to buy him out.

Theres no way he is effective for the last 7 years of his deal, theres no way to know he even plays out the contract. Either way, we'd be stuck with his cap hit.
Why are you so worried about 6 years from now? If he is great next year we are legit cup contenders with the current roster and that is worth whatever will come five or six years from now. We traded away five years of prospects for the '94 cup and it was worth every move; no doubt about it.

Old
06-28-2013, 05:22 PM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by wb1985 View Post
Wishful thinking a bit. I'd settle for him returning to the form he had in season #1 with us. This will be interesting. No doubt about it. Controversy already and we have not even hit the draft. Gotta love this Org.

Old
06-28-2013, 05:23 PM
qwertyaas
LGR@

I'm shocked....

Old
06-28-2013, 05:24 PM
Bardof425*

Quote:
No. I was around for the 7 years of being the joke of the NHL, though. Year 1 of that is when I really started to follow the team closely.

I'd rather not see that playoff drought again.
Yeah well that Cup was worth all those crappy years and since I experienced both you'll have to trust me.

Closed Thread