HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who will be the Flyers next starting goalie?

View Poll Results: Who's the next #1?
Steve Mason 78 39.20%
Roberto Luongo 25 12.56%
Tim Thomas 26 13.07%
Ray Emery 22 11.06%
Evgeni Nabokov 3 1.51%
Ryan Miller 23 11.56%
Jonas Hiller 2 1.01%
Jose Theodore 2 1.01%
Anton Khudobin 2 1.01%
Jaroslav Halak 9 4.52%
Other/no #1 7 3.52%
Voters: 199. You may not vote on this poll

Old
06-27-2013, 10:46 AM
Krishna

vCash: 500
Miller isn't garbage. He's really good goalie that just seems to get exposed when he plays the flyers for some reason

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 10:47 AM
Krishna

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFanz View Post
Homer already said to the media that Luongo wouldn't fit in the Flyers org.
He can't really talk about aquiring him as it would be tampering

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 10:53 AM
GingerFetish

Quote:
Homer already said to the media that Luongo wouldn't fit in the Flyers org.
On the one hand, he can brush off the media no problem.

On the other hand, not really motivated player.

GingerFetish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 10:58 AM
FlyersFanz
aut viam inveniam au

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
He can't really talk about aquiring him as it would be tampering
He said it, I heard it during a conference when he announced Bryz's buyout. One of the reasons they dumped Bryz was his salary couldn't fit under the lower salary cap this year and the Flyers are going to pick up Luongo who's salary is similar and has a longer contract? Won't happen, Homer was burned on the Bryzgalov signing and I doubt he will jump into the shark tank again. I see Mason as the Flyers starter with someone like Theodore or Eliis as a cheap veteran backup.

FlyersFanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 11:04 AM
bennysflyers16

NO to trading for Miller or Lou. If Lou gets bought out, absolutely look to him, but god no for Miller by trade !

bennysflyers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 11:32 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
Miller isn't garbage. He's really good goalie that just seems to get exposed when he plays the flyers for some reason

Yep. In the last two seasons his save percentage against the Flyers is something like .850, whereas he's much better overall against the rest of the league. He's the anti-Lundqvist...if I did the numbers on him, he'd probably have a .999 against us.

06-27-2013, 12:14 PM
Larry44

Quote:
He said it, I heard it during a conference when he announced Bryz's buyout. One of the reasons they dumped Bryz was his salary couldn't fit under the lower salary cap this year and the Flyers are going to pick up Luongo who's salary is similar and has a longer contract? Won't happen, Homer was burned on the Bryzgalov signing and I doubt he will jump into the shark tank again. I see Mason as the Flyers starter with someone like Theodore or Eliis as a cheap veteran backup.
Homer was being asked about what he might do now that Bryz is gone. He said he had lots of ideas. Some trades. Some UFAs. He said they need two goalies, really, one for the NHL and one for the AHL.

What Homer said, in response to a direct question about whether he would trade for Luongo, was 'no, I just don't see how that would work. That's not one of my ideas.'

I ABSOLUTELY think that Homer would be all over Luongo once Vancouver buys him out.

Homer should sit tight on goaltending until after the draft and see what happens on July 5.

There will be more goalies seeking a team than teams looking for goalies. For once we're in a buyer's market.

Luongo or Schneider. Mike Smith. Halak or Elliott. Emery. Theodore. Hiller.

Or take a chance on a younger guy like Khudobin?

No need to give up picks and players, we should be able to get a goalie UFA or for minor return.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 01:04 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damaged Goods View Post
~10 games is not a trustworthy sample size.
Too many?

Seriously, I agree completely. It's not like there was no reason why Mason was supplanted as the #1 beyond Bob playing like he ate Spiderman. I remain skeptical that he can keep up his excellence in the few games as a Flyer. I'd like to see a goaltender of the same general calibre as Mason brought in; ie, not a clear-cut #1 (who would cost too much, anyway) or obvious back-up. Make it a fair battle for top G through the season and play the hot hand.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 01:29 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
Homer was being asked about what he might do now that Bryz is gone. He said he had lots of ideas. Some trades. Some UFAs. He said they need two goalies, really, one for the NHL and one for the AHL.

What Homer said, in response to a direct question about whether he would trade for Luongo, was 'no, I just don't see how that would work. That's not one of my ideas.'

I ABSOLUTELY think that Homer would be all over Luongo once Vancouver buys him out.

Homer should sit tight on goaltending until after the draft and see what happens on July 5.

There will be more goalies seeking a team than teams looking for goalies. For once we're in a buyer's market.

Luongo or Schneider. Mike Smith. Halak or Elliott. Emery. Theodore. Hiller.

Or take a chance on a younger guy like Khudobin?

No need to give up picks and players, we should be able to get a goalie UFA or for minor return.
The Luongo comments are yet another situation where I think we can take Homer at face value, because trading for that contract makes no damned sense at all...waiting for a buyout does. Of the goalies you listed, Mike Smith and Theodore are the ones I'm most opposed to. I just don't like Theo and Mike Smith is a mirage in the desert. We're closer to TB defensively than PHX, and his time in TB was ugly.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 01:48 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
The Luongo comments are yet another situation where I think we can take Homer at face value, because trading for that contract makes no damned sense at all...waiting for a buyout does. Of the goalies you listed, Mike Smith and Theodore are the ones I'm most opposed to. I just don't like Theo and Mike Smith is a mirage in the desert. We're closer to TB defensively than PHX, and his time in TB was ugly.
I think Homer will steer clear of big contracts and Phoenix goalies. He's not allowed to comment on Luongo so you really can't take his word as gospel on that one.

If he does indeed trade for Luongo, he should be banned from working in the NHL ever again and Snider should be forced to sell the team for being two of the biggest idiots in the history of the NHL.

LegionOfDoom91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 01:58 PM
Curufinwe

I think Theodore could back up Mason for a year and do it cheaply. I'd much rather do that than trade for Miller or Luongo. He had a bad season last year in Florida, but the one before that was very solid.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 02:06 PM
Damaged Goods

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
I think Homer will steer clear of big contracts and Phoenix goalies. He's not allowed to comment on Luongo so you really can't take his word as gospel on that one.

If he does indeed trade for Luongo, he should be banned from working in the NHL ever again and Snider should be forced to sell the team for being two of the biggest idiots in the history of the NHL.
He didn't merely decline to comment on Luongo, he said a trade could not work. I think that's obviously true.

Damaged Goods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 02:13 PM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Quote:
He didn't merely decline to comment on Luongo, he said a trade could not work. I think that's obviously true.

Don't care what any Vancouver fan or writer tries to tell me. That contract has buy-out written all over it. Hope Homer holds off on the big goalie deal.

Bob Clarke Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 02:59 PM
flyersfan018

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Clarke Fan Club View Post
Don't care what any Vancouver fan or writer tries to tell me. That contract has buy-out written all over it. Hope Homer holds off on the big goalie deal.
Exactly. Wait until the buy-out period is over at least.

flyersfan018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 03:41 PM
GingerFetish

So, were trading for Bob?

GingerFetish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 04:38 PM
Damaged Goods

Quote:
Possibly be the worst contract in the league now that Lecavalier is getting bought out. Maybe Rick Nash.

Old
06-28-2013, 03:36 PM
Damaged Goods

CSN is reporting that the Flyers have expressed interest in Halak to the Blues.

Halak's definitely in the group of experienced goalies that I think are attractive options (with Luongo, Hiller, Thomas and Emery).

Old
06-28-2013, 03:54 PM
LI Fly Guy

Quote:
CSN is reporting that the Flyers have expressed interest in Halak to the Blues.

Halak's definitely in the group of experienced goalies that I think are attractive options (with Luongo, Hiller, Thomas and Emery).
Wait for buyout period. Luongo, Emery or Thomas without giving anything are the best options.

LI Fly Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 04:10 PM
Damaged Goods

Not saying they should jump over Halak ASAP, but it's a situation they should keep tabs on and prepare to make a serious offer if need be.

Old
06-28-2013, 04:42 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

Starting to think we should go for Ryan Miller. I think a lot of people forget just how good he can be. Perhaps a change of scenery is what he needs to get his game back on track.

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 05:22 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
Starting to think we should go for Ryan Miller. I think a lot of people forget just how good he can be. Perhaps a change of scenery is what he needs to get his game back on track.
More like a change of teammates. Miller's game was pretty good, all things considered. I made a similar comment to yours awhile back, and was shown that Miller didn't have too bad a season. He was the little engine that could around which the rest of the train wrecked.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 05:38 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
More like a change of teammates. Miller's game was pretty good, all things considered. I made a similar comment to yours awhile back, and was shown that Miller didn't have too bad a season. He was the little engine that could around which the rest of the train wrecked.
And if he calls out the media as much as the sabres fans say he does, then he'd be well liked by our fanbase haha

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 06:32 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
I think Theodore could back up Mason for a year and do it cheaply. I'd much rather do that than trade for Miller or Luongo. He had a bad season last year in Florida, but the one before that was very solid.
that can be our gimmick. all right handed goalies. it'd be a freak fest

funghoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 06:39 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

Quote:
mike gillis just knows as soon as he buys him out he takes the title for biggest {Mod edit} in the buyout dpt. well maybe not. i guess it was semi reasonable to give him a huge contract opposed to bryz. its just crazy that he's that stubborn. nobody's taking him. gillis should go back to being an agent. he's a horrible g.m.

Last edited by Homeland Security: 06-28-2013 at 10:22 PM. Reason: Edit
funghoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 06:41 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by funghoul View Post
that can be our gimmick. all right handed goalies. it'd be a freak fest
Sure, I'm down. I'll try anything at this point. All right handed? Might confuse some shooters. Guy who plays with two blockers and no stick? Sure thing, at least it's something fresh. Dude born without a skeleton? Yep, dump him in the crease, the lack of bones increases flexibility.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote