Alex Tanguay and Cory Sarich to COL for David Jones and Shane O'Brien

Old
06-28-2013, 02:15 PM
RobinDIF
Reunite ROR & Landy!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
So we got a slow, soft player for 4.5 million?
No. You got a soft player for 4.0 million.

He is not slow at all by the way. If anthing. He is the opposite. Actually kinda like the guy. A good shooter.

RobinDIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 02:16 PM
tfong

Quote:
4 million.

Hes not THAT slow, I'd say he is faster than Ryder. Like I said, you get a Blake Comeau, with better defensive awareness except we traded our best forward remaining for him lol.

tfong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 02:19 PM
Stewie Griffin
Benevolent Overlord

vCash: 734
Quote:
No. We didn't.

Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 02:26 PM
Chris Butler
Feels bad man

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBU View Post
Doesn't matter. The Flames may suck but seriously there's no need to take massive ****s all over us, even if they won one trade (which is debatable).
IMO, they did win the trade but they're acting like they're the most respected franchise out there and that their tanking was completely legitimate because of the amount of talent they've amassed over the years while all we did was miss the playoffs. lol at least we tried and at least out games were entertaining.

Chris Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 02:35 PM
saillias

Yeah... even during the regular season, they were smack talking how we were tanking and they were just legitimately bad, because Sacco. Are you kidding me?

It's one thing when the kids on the main boards slam everything the Flames do, but it's another thing when they start infesting our own board with low-content garbage. Not ashamed to have reported a post or 2 in this very thread.

saillias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 02:39 PM
Devilspuppet666

vCash: 250
its interesting... if hartley can control O'brien he could be a good 4-5th guy sarich USE to be... and under a offensive system david jones may flourish into a scoring top 9 winger...

I think the best thing about this is its obvious were trying to let go of the past

Devilspuppet666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 02:43 PM
Flames Fanatic
Truculent Fan

Just had lunch with a very knowledgable person. He said that Tanguays term was thought to almost be untradable.

Flames Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 02:44 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Fanatic View Post
Just had lunch with a very knowledgable person. He said that Tanguays term was thought to almost be untradable.
We didn't have lunch today.

Was that person Jay? Because Jones term is just as bad.

InfinityIggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 02:45 PM
Chris Butler
Feels bad man

Quote:
Really? Why is that?

Chris Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 02:45 PM
Stewie Griffin
Benevolent Overlord

vCash: 734
Quote:

Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 02:47 PM
The Gnome

From what I've seen of Jones he's not soft at all, especially compared to our current roster. He's got the size and speed to crash the net for us. If he can play that below the hashmarks game, he'll do just fine here with guys like Hudler, Baert, Backund, etc...

CBC saying the flames are hoping for more from Colorado...

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/...e-jackets.html

The Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 02:48 PM
Anglesmith
GDTs now 90% off!

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baerstcheese View Post
Really? Why is that?
My guess is because it will take him into his 'useless years,' which may very well begin next season.

Anglesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 02:48 PM
Flames Fanatic
Truculent Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityIggy View Post
We didn't have lunch today.

Was that person Jay? Because Jones term is just as bad.
No. Won't say who because it was said off the record. Again I know the mods hate it but I won't give names.

Suffice to say his train of thought was that Tanguays attitude, NTC and term on the contract scared off a lot of teams, but largely in part the contending teams who are tight on cap now and will be even more so in the future when they have to re-sign their own guys they would be worried about Tanguay being even less tradable in a year or two.

Old
06-28-2013, 03:18 PM
Foppa2118

Some info on your two new guys:

I think SOB could be a more useful, and well liked player for Calgary than Jones will. He was quite good in a lesser role his first season in Colorado. Up beat, well liked by his teammates, stuck up for guys, and was always the type to push guys around and start or react to scrums. Fought occasionally, though wasn't particularly dominant against guys his size. Decent defensively, and liked to play rough against forwards. Seems like he would fit Calgary's style pretty well.

Last year, he was rumored to come to camp out of shape after the lockout ended, and was in the doghouse from the beginning of the season. Discipline has plagued O'Brien a bit early in his career, as did conditioning, but he seemed to have turned the corner on that in Nahsville and early on in Colorado. The abrupt start to the season might have tested his commitment a bit, as he may have been slacking without staying in his normal routine. I get the feeling that will probably be a bit of a fluke though, and he'll come to camp in shape from now on. He got much better as the season went on, but was absolute dog **** early on, along with most of the rest of the D last year for the Avs. He never completely climbed out of the dog house though, but I think Sacco used him a bit as a whipping boy.

Jones on the other hand may be a frustrating player for you guys just like he was with the Avs. At this point, he doesn't really bring much to the table if he isn't scoring, which lately hasn't been much.

He broke into the league as a guy with amazing wheels, and threw some absolutely punishing big bodied hits that had almost become legend coming out of his first training camp. He was a guy that was seemingly always beating guys to the outside with amazing explosiveness and top end speed, and driving hard to the net, and I mean hard to the net, but he couldn't seem to finish most of his plays. Not necessarily a big mean power forward type that would hurt guys or get in fights, but a very solid PF in all aspects with great skating.

Then his second year he injured his shoulder and missed the last half of the season. Then the following year he tore his ACL and missed the last half of the season again. Since then he's tweaked his shoulder and knee injuries a couple times.

He finally found his scoring touch on a consistant basis a couple years ago and put up 27 goals, his career high. Unfortunately his explosiveness and top gear were all but gone. He can no longer beat guys wide, and since he also handles the puck a bit like a grenade, he's not terribly good in transition. He gets caught and closed off fairly quickly, and is forced into turnovers if he doesn't move the puck quickly or dump it in. He also doesn't play much of a physical game anymore, probably due to his skating, and possibly worries about injuries.

He basically needs to be paired with a very good playmaker, and given a big role and a lot of patience (which he might get in Calgary) to make use of his good shot, but they have to set him up well so he can get the shot off quickly. He won't be making many fancy moves. When he put up 27 goals, he was also very good standing in front of the net for rebounds and tips. This was a big source of his goals, and since his injuries have limited his play a bit, this has become his best contribution to a team. For whatever reason though (coaching or himself) he got away from that this last year, and basically spent most of his time around the perimeter.

Last year he started off the season with some great wheels for the first ten games or so, and I was starting to think maybe he got his top gear back that had been missing since his first kneee injury, but then he tweaked it again, missed some games, and returned back to just average up and down speed.

He's basically a north south guy now, that shouldn't handle the puck much, isn't really that great defensively, has never spent much time on the PK despite what Feaster said, doesn't play much of a nasty game as one report I heard said (he has a career high 32 PIMS on a season) that could be good for 20+ goals, and not many assists if he develops good chemistry with a playmaking center, and goes back to spending time staking out the slot and the front of the net.

Don't hope for a 1st line guy with Jones, hope for an inconsistent second line goal scorer that puts up more goals than assists. If he ends up being more of a 3rd line guy, he'll have to reform his game a bit, and work on all the other areas, because right now he hasn't really displayed an ability to play a more traditional checking line role.

Last edited by Foppa2118: 06-28-2013 at 04:15 PM.
Foppa2118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 03:28 PM
TherapyforGlencross
I'm the Man

Quote:
I know you won't tell us, but I'm dying to know what you do for a living.

TherapyforGlencross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 04:21 PM
Bobs your uncle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calculon View Post
People expecting big returns for Cammalleri are just setting themselves up for disappointment.
Yup. Mike Cammalleri's value is poor not because he's a bad player but because he's a player worth maybe $3.5 million and his cap hit is $7 million for this year.

Bobs your uncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 04:45 PM
Flames Fanatic
Truculent Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesrule View Post
I know you won't tell us, but I'm dying to know what you do for a living.
I'm a craft beer expert at a liquor store lol

I'm just blessed enough to have friends and family who are connected to people, several of which are either members of the press, the organization or the ownership group. So I get the occasional tidbit.

One of my parents employees is also a referee for the CHL so get great prospect reviews from him for any WHL players or players that play on the international stage.

Old
06-28-2013, 05:29 PM
I Hate Chris Butler
Backlund Fan Club

We got a locker room cancer and someone who's useless. Hate this trade.

I Hate Chris Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 05:35 PM
FlamingTelepath

vCash: 1383
Sad to see Tanguay go, soft Frenchie or not he was always a favorite of mine. I honestly did expect more for him but at least it wasn't the 5th rounder some were expecting.

Jones seems like a reclamation project of sorts. I've never really paid any attention to this guy even though he's been in the division for years. If he can become more like Stempniak instead of Comeau this is a fine trade. I don't care about the contract, the Flames probably won't be near the cap for a few years and it's not my money anyway. The Sarich/O'Brien swap seems largely inconsequential.

FlamingTelepath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 05:57 PM
superhakan
Gaudreauby Baker

Essentially we traded for a 4 million dollar David Moss

superhakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 05:59 PM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Hate Chris Butler View Post
Who's a locker room cancer?

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 06:01 PM
Gary83*

Do you guys think Jones has the intangibles to replace what we lost in the Piskula trade?

Gary83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 06:18 PM
I Hate Chris Butler
Backlund Fan Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreakingRed View Post
Who's a locker room cancer?
O'Brien

I Hate Chris Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 06:22 PM
Anglesmith
GDTs now 90% off!

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Hate Chris Butler View Post
We shipped out Tanguay and Sarich, who one could make the argument also fit those bills.

Also, an Avs fan down there (Foppa2118) said that O'Brien was well-liked by his teammates. Seems like everyone was ready to jump on him over Giguere's comments, but those were not addressed to just one player.

Anglesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 06:27 PM
MuffinMerc

vCash: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by wflames View Post
We shipped out Tanguay and Sarich, who one could make the argument also fit those bills.

Also, an Avs fan down there (Foppa2118) said that O'Brien was well-liked by his teammates. Seems like everyone was ready to jump on him over Giguere's comments, but those were not addressed to just one player.
Wasn't Sarich well liked in the locker room? Aren't we getting a player that was in the whole Vegas trip planning mess?

Either way, we got fleeced.

MuffinMerc is offline   Reply With Quote