HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Vinny Lecavalier bought out | signed with Philly (5 years, $4.5M cap hit, full NMC)

Old
06-28-2013, 01:23 PM
Lecavilier_4

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Lecavilier_4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabby Williams View Post
I was caught off guard with the news yesterday, even though I knew it that this was a likely scenario.

Not gonna get into whether or not I think it was the right call. It certainly doesn't make our playoff hopes for next year get any brighter.
We're putting A LOT of trust in the young guys, hopefully they'll be up to the challenge.
Depends on how well they utilize cap space. If it is a move to just get him off the books and the space isn't utilized, then we definitely just got worse.

Lecavilier_4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 01:34 PM
Drouin2Stamkos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still All In View Post
I understand, but I ask you this - do you want Vinny, or do you want long lasting health for this franchise? Like it or not, that was the choice. If we kept him, the cap recapture penalties would have broken this team and forced the exit of others like Stamkos, Connolly, and whomever we draft this year. I love the guy, but this had to be done.

Its going to be so weird seeing him in a different jersey.
If anything blame the guys who signed him to that ridiculous contract. I know it was "market value" at the time but didn't they think anything about a possibility that another lockout could occur and the cap would go down again? I know its hard to project these things but I feel like they could have gotten him a bit cheaper than they had.

Drouin2Stamkos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 01:46 PM
TheDaysOf 04
Rated [SFY]

http://tbo.com/article/20130628/ARTICLE/130629398/1131

Stamkos:
Quote:
"For me, Vinny has been a guy, him and Marty (St. Louis), since Day One, since I first got to the team, I've been able to look up to. Those are the veteran guys that took me under their wings and showed me the ropes, not only with what they have done with me but, Vinny in particular, the legacy he has with this organization. From a hockey standpoint and a community standpoint, it was a tough day for Tampa. It's probably not going to hit us until we get to training camp and Vinny is not there with us. You are used to not seeing each other that much over the summer, but when all the guys get together, that's when it's going to really hit us."
Marty:
Quote:
"The locker room, the back of the bus, the back of the plane, everything, the dinners. On the ice, obviously. But we spent a lot more time off the ice than we actually did on the ice. It's going to be hard to picture him on another team. But it's a game. I knew it was a possibility, but when it actually is official, it's weird to think of him on another team."

Old
06-28-2013, 01:50 PM
MattM92

It really isn't fair to fault Yzerman or Vinik for a ****** situation they inherited from OK Hockey. It isn't Vinny's fault. It isn't Yzerman's fault. It isn't Vinik's fault. It isn't the fans' fault. It was a terrible contract that handcuffed the organization. This was the only logical thing to do to become competitive within the next few years. It doesn't make it any less painful but it's the hand that the organization was dealt. Vinny will always be a Bolt, no matter what team he plays for. Hopefully he can go to a contender and possibly contribute to another Cup.

MattM92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 02:07 PM
The YzerJesus
Turns Piss Into Wine

vCash: 50
Like somebody else said, if Malone is on this team next year and Vinny isn't, Yzerman needs his head checked.

The YzerJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 02:09 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Klinkhammer View Post
Like somebody else said, if Malone is on this team next year and Vinny isn't, Yzerman needs his head checked.
Two completely different situations.

The Fear Boners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 02:12 PM
Lecavilier_4

Send a message via MSN to Lecavilier_4
It is hard to find the correct placement of blame. We can blame the old management but the fact of the manner there are loads of teams in the same situation. They found a way around the cap, and they signed these terrible front loaded contracts and it left teams like no options.

Lecavilier_4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 02:15 PM
2 Weekes Notice

Quote:
Bingo. We didn't buy out Vinny for the next 2 years, it was for the 2015-2021 where we'd have been totally screwed cap-wise.

2 Weekes Notice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 02:28 PM
The YzerJesus
Turns Piss Into Wine

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Weekes Notice View Post
Bingo. We didn't buy out Vinny for the next 2 years, it was for the 2015-2021 where we'd have been totally screwed cap-wise.
I understand that, definitely.

What I'm saying is if Yzerman really is trying to make this team better, he'll unload dead weight.

Old
06-28-2013, 03:32 PM
Bolt32

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoopThereItIs View Post
I understand that, definitely.

What I'm saying is if Yzerman really is trying to make this team better, he'll unload dead weight.
Brewer should be gone as well. As much crap as Kubina got during his last days on his second tenure with us. At least his slow ass would go down and block a shot. Brewer most nights is just a traffic cone. Doesn't try to get physical, won't block shots. Has a hell of a slapper but rarely uses it and we deluded ourselves to believe he is top 4 worthy. Honestly I think Brewer was a hell of a player in his yesteryears, but the man as a legit top 4 defensemen is done.

Bolt32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 04:45 PM
The YzerJesus
Turns Piss Into Wine

Marty is now the only player left on the team from the 04 championship. Marty is now the only player on the team with a Cup. Times are a'changin.

It's so weird to see This without Vinny's name on it, or the "C" anywhere.

Old
06-28-2013, 05:05 PM
The Wyzerhood
A league of his own

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=6...d=nhl:topheads

Well there goes any hope of a Richards reunion in Tampa. Kind of makes matters worse considering we easily could have waited another season before buying Vinny out. Guess management's concerns over his extensive injury history outweighed any potential benefit from retaining him for the extra year.

The Wyzerhood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 05:37 PM
Sky04

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhysicalGraffiti View Post

I'm surprised he had the $30 million to buy out with how much he's had to pay back from his "business" endeavors before hockey. Somewhere in the neighborhood of $1.5 billion I thought I recalled.

I saw your post Days, and I understand that. But with a decision of this financial ramification, I don't see any way he didn't have some say.

Nothing is going to appease me at this point unless Vinny was still a bolt. The only possible saving grace is if he signs a one year deal and returns, essentially a restructure without it being one. But Vinny doesn't want it, and I don't blame him after this.
It's 30 million over 14 years.... he'll manage...

Sky04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 05:56 PM
jfc64

At which cost can you sign a player and be equally better off? (if he is as good as VL)

45/7?

jfc64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 07:32 PM
Stephen

I feel like this deal could have waited until next summer. What's the rush now? I don't see Tampa Bay going out and spending that cap this summer anyway.

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 07:53 PM
Going Back to Cally
Sons of Pirates

vCash: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
I feel like this deal could have waited until next summer. What's the rush now? I don't see Tampa Bay going out and spending that cap this summer anyway.
If Lecavalier gets hurt next season you are stuck with either keeping him or a non compliance buyout.

06-28-2013, 11:57 PM
Cigar City

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhysicalGraffiti View Post
What are your plans regarding fanship and attending games? This is a tough choice for me. I ****ing love the Bolts. The best sports game of my life was game 7 of the Stanley Cup. I can't imagine a season not going, but this move is really making me question whether I want to give these guys any of my money or even root for the team. I suppose I could still be a fan of the players, but that's tough. I love when some guy on here said only real fans spend money and ran his mouth, then shut up when I explained I have been a 16 year season ticket member. If that stops after 17 years I guess it means I'm not allowed to be a fan anymore anyways.

I don't have the luxury of being able to afford season tickets, and I'm usually busy every night with school. I usually attend 5-10 games per year, but it will probably ease down a little bit this year because I don't see us putting a competitive team on the ice. I understand the move is very emotional for a lot of us, but I will always support my team (some years more than others, financially).

I wouldn't blame anyone for canceling their ST's just for the sake of us PROBABLY being terrible next year.

Quote:
I understand, but I ask you this - do you want Vinny, or do you want long lasting health for this franchise? Like it or not, that was the choice. If we kept him, the cap recapture penalties would have broken this team and forced the exit of others like Stamkos, Connolly, and whomever we draft this year. I love the guy, but this had to be done.

Its going to be so weird seeing him in a different jersey.
Very logical and makes perfect sense, but I would have waited until next year.

Cigar City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 01:08 AM
Yzerplan
I has one.

Those already counting TB out of the playoffs next season before the draft, free agency and in general offseason tinkering are doing it wrong.

Yzerplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 09:41 AM
zeykshade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzerplan View Post
Those already counting TB out of the playoffs next season before the draft, free agency and in general offseason tinkering are doing it wrong.
^^This.

zeykshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 10:33 AM
Bolts265

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzerplan View Post
Ah!!! A voice of reason amongst the emotion...thanks for that.
I too am not ready to write off the season in fricking JUNE!!!

Bolts265 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 10:38 AM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolts265 View Post
Ah!!! A voice of reason amongst the emotion...thanks for that.
I too am not ready to write off the season in fricking JUNE!!!
I still haven't written off 2011-12 yet.

Quote:
Hearing that the Chicago Blackhawks do NOT have interest in Vincent Lecavalier. Many Hawks fans saw him as No. 2 C solution.
https://twitter.com/Real_ESPNLeBrun/...07359923007489

Last edited by Felonious Python: 06-29-2013 at 11:01 AM.
Felonious Python is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 11:24 AM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanOberg View Post
If anything blame the guys who signed him to that ridiculous contract. I know it was "market value" at the time but didn't they think anything about a possibility that another lockout could occur and the cap would go down again? I know its hard to project these things but I feel like they could have gotten him a bit cheaper than they had.
Oh absolutely, no doubt about it.

The Fear Boners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 11:54 AM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

https://twitter.com/JoshRimerHockey/...20578393694208
Quote:
Add the Florida Panthers to the list of teams interested in Vinny Lecavalier.
https://twitter.com/JoshRimerHockey/...21413001478144
Quote:
The Dallas Stars as well are a team interested in speaking with Lecavalier and his agent.

Felonious Python is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 12:02 PM
dbieon12
Stamkos HOF

Shorter just to list the teams not interested:
Tampa Bay Lightning.

Old
06-29-2013, 12:14 PM
Benders Lindyhop