HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sundin gets 1 game

Closed Thread

Old
01-07-2004, 04:25 PM
p.l.f.
mvp

vCash: 500
the ref decided not to give him a penalty
how the hell can they do this :mad:

Old
01-07-2004, 05:02 PM
Lobstertainment
Oh no, my brains.

Send a message via MSN to Lobstertainment
Quote:
Originally Posted by p.l.f.
the ref decided not to give him a penalty
how the hell can they do this :mad:
It's not neccisarily a Penalty but the League can still suspend him for it I'd assume.

I was acctually shocked that he didn't get a 10 minute unsportsmanlike misconduct penalty

Old
01-07-2004, 05:10 PM
Egil

Whine whine whine. The Leafs are not the only team with injuries, you just happen to have a few to some top end guys, DEAL WITH IT.

Ottawa will likely be without Volchenkov, Pothier, Varada, Fisher and Lalime. Last night we didn't have Havlat either. You will note that we are without our best hitter, our best pest, and our best forechecker, and our best goalie. We will deal with it and move on, not whine like 6 year old girls.

Old
01-07-2004, 05:19 PM
Lobstertainment
Oh no, my brains.

Send a message via MSN to Lobstertainment
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egil
Whine whine whine. The Leafs are not the only team with injuries, you just happen to have a few to some top end guys, DEAL WITH IT.

Ottawa will likely be without Volchenkov, Pothier, Varada, Fisher and Lalime. Last night we didn't have Havlat either. You will note that we are without our best hitter, our best pest, and our best forechecker, and our best goalie. We will deal with it and move on, not whine like 6 year old girls.
ummmm

Sundin= Scorer

Mogilny = Scorer

Nolan= Scorer

Belfour= top 5 goalie in the league

Kaberle= our top D-Man

Belak= Our best fighter

Reichel= Defensive Foreward

Sundin, Mogilny, Kaberle = 3 First liners out

Havlat missed one game but could be back for the game against the leafs, varada, Fisher, Volchenkov, and Pothier are not top line players for you guys like Alffie, Hossa, Spezza, Redden, Chara etc. are all as healthy as an Ox, and Prusek is a good goalie a great back-up, I'd be just as scared of facing him as I would be of Lalime.

in other words

Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll...

Old
01-07-2004, 05:26 PM
think-blue-

Send a message via MSN to think-blue-
Quote:

You comparing your depth players to the core of the Leafs tells me you have the intelligence of a "6 year old girl."

Troll on.

Old
01-07-2004, 05:54 PM
Doggone Dawg

I think that the ability to stay healthy also demonstrates how valuable that individual player may be. Bobby Orr was arguably the best player ever to lace on skates, but he wasn't very valuable to his team after his knees blew out was he. Face it...our team is injury labile in the last few years: Nolan (back), Roberts (back), Antropov (knees and everywhere else), Mogilny (groin). If we can't stay healthy we're gonna end up with the Newfs playing in the first round again.

Old
01-07-2004, 05:55 PM
GD|eNSo

Quote:
Originally Posted by think.blue
You comparing your depth players to the core of the Leafs tells me you have the intelligence of a "6 year old girl."

Troll on.
Hey!:mad:

My six year old, cousin, is pretty smart!

Old
01-07-2004, 06:04 PM
Mike1

Quote:

Old
01-07-2004, 06:06 PM
Stephen

Quote:

THIS ISN'T ABOUT OTTAWA

Old
01-07-2004, 06:08 PM
Stephen

Also, outside of Lalime, all of the Ottawa players you've mentioned are replaceable.

Old
01-07-2004, 06:09 PM
Egil

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJTOM
ummmm

Sundin= Scorer

Mogilny = Scorer

Nolan= Scorer

Belfour= top 5 goalie in the league

Kaberle= our top D-Man

Belak= Our best fighter

Reichel= Defensive Foreward

Sundin, Mogilny, Kaberle = 3 First liners out

Havlat missed one game but could be back for the game against the leafs, varada, Fisher, Volchenkov, and Pothier are not top line players for you guys like Alffie, Hossa, Spezza, Redden, Chara etc. are all as healthy as an Ox, and Prusek is a good goalie a great back-up, I'd be just as scared of facing him as I would be of Lalime.

in other words

Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll...
My post consisted of 2 main points, both of which you missed. I salute you all.

Point #1: Injuries happen, SO DEAL WITH IT. The first year Ottawa made the playoffs, we lost two top 4 defenseman, in the fifth game of the season, for the ENTIRE YEAR. Did we fall on our knees and make excuses? Nope. And neither do the Leaf players (which is why they are one of, if not THE best team at overcoming injuries). But the fans, GADZOOKS

Point #2: The Leafs are missing 5 key guys (reichel and Belak are rediculously easy to replace). Nolan, Sundin, Kaberle, Mogilny and Belfour. You are missing 3 of your top 4 scorers, your best offensive defenseman and your starting goalie. Ottawa is missing Volchenkov, Pothier, Varada, Fisher and probably Lalime. Pothier is easily replaceable, so ignore him. That still leaves Volchenkov, Varada, Fisher and Lalime. 3 of our 4 "grittiest" players and our starting goalie. See, both teams have injuries, and both teams have alot of injuries to "similar" types of players. The Leafs are missing scorers, the Sens are missing "grit". We each now have a "weakness" that needs to be overcome, due to injuries, and they have hit at what each team is weakest at. Ottawa's supposed problem (one that most of you like to say all the time) is a lack of grit. Having three of our grittiest guys out would be a problem, no?

Also of note is that we have now lost 2 guys for the SEASON (Varada and Volchenkov). Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't believe any of the Leafs injuries are season ending.

Old
01-07-2004, 06:27 PM
Stephen

Quote:
My post consisted of 2 main points, both of which you missed. I salute you all.

Point #1: Injuries happen, SO DEAL WITH IT. The first year Ottawa made the playoffs, we lost two top 4 defenseman, in the fifth game of the season, for the ENTIRE YEAR. Did we fall on our knees and make excuses? Nope. And neither do the Leaf players (which is why they are one of, if not THE best team at overcoming injuries). But the fans, GADZOOKS

Point #2: The Leafs are missing 5 key guys (reichel and Belak are rediculously easy to replace). Nolan, Sundin, Kaberle, Mogilny and Belfour. You are missing 3 of your top 4 scorers, your best offensive defenseman and your starting goalie. Ottawa is missing Volchenkov, Pothier, Varada, Fisher and probably Lalime. Pothier is easily replaceable, so ignore him. That still leaves Volchenkov, Varada, Fisher and Lalime. 3 of our 4 "grittiest" players and our starting goalie. See, both teams have injuries, and both teams have alot of injuries to "similar" types of players. The Leafs are missing scorers, the Sens are missing "grit". We each now have a "weakness" that needs to be overcome, due to injuries, and they have hit at what each team is weakest at. Ottawa's supposed problem (one that most of you like to say all the time) is a lack of grit. Having three of our grittiest guys out would be a problem, no?

Also of note is that we have now lost 2 guys for the SEASON (Varada and Volchenkov). Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't believe any of the Leafs injuries are season ending.
I think you're missing a little something...

point a) "so deal with it"

Nobody's really complaining. I don't see any whining going on... Leafs fans are used to injuries. The Leafs have missed a lot of players to injuries over the last couple of years, and they've been fine.

b) Let's say Lalime and Belfour are a wash, even though Toronto relies more on Belfour for wins. Given a choice of whether you'd rather lose your top two wingers, your best rushing defenseman and your third line centerman or a young defenseman, a checking center and a pest, I know I wouldn't be picking the first option.

If the Sens were missing Hossa, Alfredsson, Fisher and Redden and the Leafs were without Antropov, Pilar, Domi, would you still make the case that both teams were equally disadvantaged?

Old
01-07-2004, 06:51 PM
Egil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen

If the Sens were missing Hossa, Alfredsson, Fisher and Redden and the Leafs were without Antropov, Pilar, Domi, would you still make the case that both teams were equally disadvantaged?
I will respond to your last point. I would say both teams are less disadvatanged than they are now. The Leafs can do without Domi, Antropov and Pilar no questions asked. Your not low on gritty guys, nor bottom pairing defenseman. You can handle injuries in this area quite well. It is why not having Belak is irrelevent, and why you won't miss the physical element that Nolan brings to the table. You have plenty of it, so missing a bit doesn't hurt.

The injuries you do have DOES hurt the Leafs squad, because creative offensive players is you biggest weakness. You have 3-4 forwards TOPS and 1 defenseman who are good at "creating" offense. You have some VERY good pluggers, who score on occasion, but Domi and company doesn't really scare anyone. Kaberle, Sundin, Mogilny, all do, Roberts and Nolan do in a different manor. Ottawa has PLENTY of these players (Hossa, Alfredsson, Havlat, Bonk, Spezza, Redden, Rachunek and to a lesser extent White, ). We can have Hossa, Alfredsson, Bonk and Redden out of the lineup, and still be OK. Havlat, Spezza and White simply get their ice time upped, and off we go. Are we as good? No. But we can still put a good PP unit out, and we can still put a good couple of offensive lines out, once we add the complementary offensive players.

The reverse of this is also true (primarily on the forward ranks). Ottawa doesn't have "gritty" players growing on trees, the Leafs do. Tucker, Roberts, Nolan, Domi, Antropov, Fitzgerald, Klee, McCabe. Ottawa primarily relies on Fisher, Varada, Chara and Volchenkov for that true "grit". Schaefer is a better version of Renberg, but he won't go plastering guys. What Ottawa has less of is "grit", so when we are missing most of it, it will affect us, just as when the Leafs are missing their key offensive cogs. It is a different aspect of the game, but both teams would be better off with more "balanced" injures. If the Leafs had Mogilny, Nolan, Tucker, Klee and Domi out, they would better off. If Ottawa had Varada, Hossa and Rachunek out, we would be better off.

Now, Ottawa's weakness of "grit" will primarily play out in KEY games (like tomorow night) and the playoffs. For playing TB, I want Ottawa's current injuries. For the Leafs, we could really use more "grit"...

Old
01-07-2004, 07:03 PM
Don Draper

I was rolling my eyes at his comments as well, being a Sens fan, but you got to hand it to him, he makes some solid points.

All in all, it will be a good game tomorrow, just not as great as it could have been.

Old
01-07-2004, 07:06 PM
Shawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by go pierre hedin
I never said that he didn't deserve a suspension.

All I said is that it's GOOD that they gave him something... this way, there will be less bashing on Sundin and *****ing about the NHL favouring the Maple Leafs.
Ah sorry then. I didn't read it that way. Must have been too much steak for dinner

Old
01-07-2004, 07:11 PM
littleD

Send a message via MSN to littleD
Quote:
Originally Posted by go pierre hedin
GOOD.

Now Sundin haters will shut up, and quit their *****ing about him getting off easy.
Stating the obvious here, but he did get off easy. Should have been at least last nights game plus one more.

But I bet Toronto still beats Ottawa tomorrow.

Old
01-08-2004, 03:56 AM
Augustus

I am going to try for a positive viewpoint of the depleted lineup against Ottawa tonight. I remember the game in the playoffs against Buffalo when Hasek was injured and his pathetic backup, whose name I have forgotten, was between the pipes. It was a game they couldn't lose and it turned out to be a game they lost, I think 6-5.

Lease historically have had a difficult time with Ottawa during the regular season and it could be argued that Ottawa is a superior team on paper, and lately on the ice. With the leafs missing so many of the better players, and Ottawa on a hot streak, this is a game they can't win so perhaps they will win.

Not a very scientific viewpoint but gives me some thought for hope. On the other hand an energetic loss will feel like a victory.

Closed Thread