HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Interview with Ladislav Scurko

Old
10-19-2006, 09:26 PM
Grant Dovey

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Grant Dovey Send a message via AIM to Grant Dovey Send a message via MSN to Grant Dovey Send a message via Yahoo to Grant Dovey
Interview with Ladislav Scurko

Tomorrow I have an interview with Flyer's prospect Ladislav Scurko who is a very crafty player for the Tri-City Americans of the Western Hockey League. Scurko, who is originally from Slovakia, was drafted in 2004 in the 6th round.

I am opening this to any questions that you would like me to ask him. So far this season he has 6 points in 7 games and I conducted an interview tonight with his coach, who happens to be a former Phantom's coach, Don Nachbaur.

Here is that interview:
Quotes from head coach Don Nachbaur of the Tri-City Americans:
A few words:
"We saw a guy last year who was a scorer within our league, or had the potential to score. I think he had 18 goals last year and we needed a guy that could compliment some of the other players that we had and we felt that he would be a big addition to our team and I don't think that he has proven us wrong. He's come in here and has made some key plays at times during the game and scored some big goals and we expect for him to develop in that manner and continue to be a plus for our hockey club. "

Importance on the powerplay:
"He is on our number one unit and in the major juniors it's real important that your 20-year olds provide you with not only leadership but key plays in the middle of a game when you need it and he provided a big play for us in Kelowna, got us a lead and has made some plays that you don't normally see kids make at this level. He's crafty with the puck and he's playing on our best line with a kid named Colton Yellow Horn who I think was 8th or 9th in the league in scoring last year. They form a pretty dynamic duo and thats something you need out of your 20-year olds, big plays and big goals."

Positives and Negatives:
"The upside with him is that he has a creativity to him, an offensive creativity. Because of the rule changes in our league it is going to be beneficial to him. I think the one thing that he needs to work on is the skating because when you are a puck handler and a crafty player you've got to have that elusive side to you and I think working on his general lateral to lateral movement and his overall speed in his game is something that if he wants to make the the next step he needs to work on."

On the "adoption" of the NHL rules:
"We didn't have the rule change in our game last year, we were still under the old rules. As far as the other two major juniors, the Quebec League and the Ontario League had made the switch, so this is our first year and for us we've only had 9 games under our belt and if you include exhibition it's still in the infancy stage in our league but I think a lot of the teams and a lot of players have adjusted real well. Some of the individual players probably haven't adjusted as quickly as you'd like to see, but for the most part the players understand what's going to be called and now and there really aren't any gray areas of the game." "They lend themselve to more offensive opportunities and for us in the Western Hockey League we need that. We went through a game the other night where we had 9 penalties called, 6 consecutively in the 2nd period and it really sunk our ship. But the teams that adapt quicker are the teams that are obviously making strides within the league."

Reasons he didn't play on 9/30 and 10/07:
"Too many overages. We had 4 overages and Iwas rotating my overages. They were taking the night off and we had stuck to that schedule till we got down to 3 overages. All 4 guys took turns sitting out."

Grant Dovey is offline   Reply With Quote